Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Johnny Depp v. Amber Heard

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/am ... smsnnews11
Amber Heard settles defamation case against Johnny Depp

The settlement comes months after a weekslong televised trial that culminated with jurors finding that Heard had defamed Depp by writing a 2018 op-ed for The Washington Post in which she she said she had become a “public figure representing domestic abuse.” Although the essay never mentioned Depp by name, his attorneys said it indirectly referred to allegations she made against him during their 2016 divorce.

During the trial, she testified in graphic terms about a sexual assault she alleged, as well as allegations of incidents of physical abuse. Depp denied all allegations of abuse.
► Show Spoiler
Last month, major national feminist organizations came to Heard’s defense, issuing a letter — first reported by NBC News — alleging that the vilification and harassment of Heard and her supporters were “unprecedented in both vitriol and scale,” marking one of the biggest public shows of support for Heard following the verdict.

The jury awarded Depp $10 million in compensatory damages and $5 million in punitive damages; Heard was awarded $2 million in compensatory damages but nothing in punitive damages.

Heard appealed that verdict, leading to the settlement.

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Amber Heard was caught lying so many times during the trial. She claimed that she used a certain makeup product to hide all her bruises from the supposed abuse until the makeup company stated that this particular product wasn’t even on the market until after Heard and Depp separated/divorced.

Heard filmed Depp slamming kitchen cupboards the morning that his mother passed away. He had a very difficult relationship with his mother who was an abusive drunk. Heard deceptively edited it to look like Depp discovered the camera and got abusive. She then sent it to TMZ. At the trial, the original, unedited video showed Heard smirking as she set up the camera and then smirking again as she pulled it from the garbage can where Depp had shoved it when he discovered it was filming. They were able to show that it was Heard who had sent the video to TMZ because they were able to publish it right away because they had the copyright holder’s (Heard) permission.

Heard was arrested for abusing her wife before she and Depp were together and also abused her sister throughout their lives. Any harm done to women in abusive relationships was done by Heard lying about it.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

And I am still often confused why I am supposed to care about celebrity relationship drama. How am I impacted? :confuzzled:

I don't follow TMZ.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I don’t follow either but I saw a YouTube clip this morning of two girls charging their Tesla. Next to them were Amber Heard and her current girlfriend having a screaming match in their charging Tesla.

V charging done, the girls ask Amber for a photo. She obliges, but Amber’s girlfriend gets jealous and locks her out of her car.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

neonzx wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:51 am And I am still often confused why I am supposed to care about celebrity relationship drama. How am I impacted? :confuzzled:

I don't follow TMZ.
This case has generated shock waves across the U.S. in the domestic violence world. One side says Depp is an abuser who turned himself into the victim and Heard into the offender. This is called DARVO. (DARVO - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DARVO
DARVO (an acronym for "Deny, Attack, and Reverse Victim and Offender") is a reaction that perpetrators of wrongdoing, particularly sexual offenders, may display in response to being held accountable for their behavior. )

The other side says Heard IS the aggressor in the relationship. A recording played at the trial has Heard trying to deny she punched Depp. In the recording you hear him beg her to not follow him when he tries to walk away from her physical and verbal abuse. "That's not going to solve anything," she says. She has a history of physically abusing people. He does not.

There had been a libel trial in the U.K. which Depp filed against a publication which described him as a "wife beater". He lost that trial with court finding 12 of the 14 allegations were true.

I was curious about the interplay between the finding in the U.K.and the trial here.

When Depp and Heard divorced, they reached a settlement agreeing not to speak of their domestic relationship. Then Heard wrote an opinion article in the Washington Post claiming she was a domestic abuse survivor. She didn't mention Depp's name, but the inference was there so he sued.

These links give more exact information about each trial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depp_v_Ne ... pers_Heard

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depp_v._Heard
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Just my arrogant opinion, as I was originally a big Depp fan, I was deeply disappointed to find out he was a domestic abuser. I automatically took the woman's side. I was aware of other abusive relationships where the woman was the abuser, yet never considered giving Depp the benefit of the doubt.

But the trial changed my mind. In this case, I believe it was Heard who was the abuser. That's not to say that Depp doesn't have a substance abuse problem, he most certainly does, but that did not merit the abuse I now believe he sustained at the hands of his now ex-wife.

I still love the Captain Jack Sparrow character from the PotC franchise, even if most of the movies were crap, but Depp no longer ranks among my favs. Hopefully he'll get the help he needs.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

The UK trial wasn’t a jury trial. The judge’s decision was greatly influenced by Heard’s claim that she had donated all the money she got in the divorce to two charities. As the Virginia trial showed, Heard only “pledged” the money, but didn’t actually donate it.

Hence Depp’s dig about pledging the settlement money and actually donating it. :lol: :lol:

I was a Depp fan since the 21 Jump Street days. I saw most of his earlier movies, but hadn’t seen any in the last 10 years or so. I was disappointed when I heard about the dog incident in Australia. From the trial, it looks like that was all Heard as well. I didn’t start watching the trial at first, but then I got hooked on the drama. :bag: :bag:

This dyed in the wool feminist was a bit surprised to be called a misogynist or non-feminist because I didn’t find any of Heard’s testimony believable.

A few of the trial highlights for me were “Aquamannnnnnnnn!!” “Megapint,” and “if I had seen Mr. Depp’s penis, I think I would remember that.” :lol: :lol:

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”