Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Accelerationists - Neo-Nazi, Paleo-Nazi, and Not-So-Nazi

noblepa

Post by noblepa »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:05 pm We still don't have lights on large stretches of our interstates because the copper thieves cut into the base of the lights and steal the copper. They back a pick up truck with a winch up to the poles in the median and off they go. Traffic going by sees them and calls it in but the cops can't get there before they'e gone. Every couple of years one of them will get zapped. MDOT has quit replacing the wiring so we just drive in the dark through those stretches.

https://www.wlbt.com/2022/07/12/mdot-sa ... are-blame/
I grew up in a railroad family. My father was a dispatcher for the Pennsylvania RR. If you're old enough, you probably remember, back in the day, the railroads had telephone poles running next to the tracks. Some of these poles had six or eight spars with eight or ten lines on each one. Each of those lines was a pair of copper wires.

Thieves used to find a secluded section of track, back up next to it in their pickup, throw a rope over all the wires and tie it to the bumper of the truck. Then they took off in the truck, pulling down 200-300 (maybe more) feet of all of those wires.

Also, prior to the seventies, most freight cars had "friction" bearings. That is, the end of each axle was machined to a smooth bearing surface. In the truck, above the axle, was a large block of solid brass, machined to match the axle. The bottom of the journal box was filled with oily rags that got just enough oil to the axle.

Sometimes the railroad would store a string of cars out on a lonely siding, away from town. Thieves would come along with large hydraulic jacks, jack up the car a few inches, taking the weight off the axle. The brass could then simply be pulled out with no tools. The brass blocks weighed at least 20 pounds. In one night, they could steal the brass from 40-50 freight cars. Each car had eight journals.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Reddog wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:25 pm
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:09 pm :snippity: Never touch a metal surface in an energized substation if it isn't grounded.
I learned the hard way. They wanted me to move the mast lights down in a 345Kv substation. To remove the lights we put a hold on close proximity lines, disconnected and put ground cables on the dc’d lines. I was in the boom but still got shocked occasionally even with class 2 20 Kv gloves.

When I went to reinstall at the lower level (well away from energized lines) I found that I could only get up about 5 steps on a fiberglass extension ladder without getting shocked, even with class 2 gloves. I ended up lacing grounded chain through the rungs of the ladder and I could work barehanded then. Even though the mast was grounded I was getting charged up from the field in the yard. As soon as I touched something grounded it would discharge. I had to work barehanded to keep from getting a charge.

Non-contact voltage detectors are useless, they glow continuously.
:notworthy:
Linemen get all the respect from me. I'm an electrical engineer for a utility (more than just power T&D, but it's a big part of my job), so I am very aware that my designs can literally mean the difference between life and death for your profession. Fortunately for my blood pressure, the highest we go is 138 kV.

ETA: earlier this week I was talking about how working under high power lines can make tic tracers and the like worthless. I'm the electrical engineer overseeing the demo of one of our old coal-powered plants, and we were going through the coal conveyor system verifying for everyone that all the electrical had been air-gapped. The contractor told me about this one time his worker came running up to him saying the panel was hot. Then they realized that the whole building was supposedly hot! (Also, that is why you always check against a known hot and a known off before and after)
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

I’m not a lineman either. I agree they deserve tons of credit. It’s one of the most dangerous jobs there is. I can’t begin to imagine what they’re going through in Ukraine right now. They do things that seem counter intuitive e.g. dangling from a helicopter working on live high voltage transmission lines.

The work I was doing had a hold on adjacent lines. Looking back I wondered if it should have been lineman work even though I was not close to the minimum approach distance.
I was working at a 750 MW coal fired plant at that time. My normal job was with low and medium voltage up to 6.9 Kv.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

6.9 kV yeah, low or medium, I have batteries that powerful. Oh … wait? Is that a k before the V?

Ah! This non-electrician appreciates that 138 kV is significantly higher that 6.9 kV but they are all scarily high to normal people, well worth not touching.

A bit like there's a huge difference between $500K and $1M but they're both a shitload of cash.
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

Tangential power and electricity story.....

Back in the olden, olden days, my family lived in the Middle East and at 16 my folks decided that it would be a really sound idea for Mr Brolin to learn the value of the Dollar/Dinar/Riyal/Pound/Rupee.

So.....every summer vacation I got to not have a fine old time with my cohorts, no I got to work in the heat and noise at the refinery.... (It was a very different time and concepts of health and safety for young folks were different than today....). Still....good money and tax free... 8-)

When I was 17 I worked the assembly of a new power stations main switch room..... I still, to this day remember the size of the bus bars and the huge throw switching gears.

My job, amongst others was assembling the tinker toy assembly of criss crossing bus bars and containment vessels then cleaning the connector points and the bars with Carbon Tetra Chloride to degrease (generally seen as a toxic bad thing nowadays).

Then you had the bus bar sleeve to swing into place with two silicon seals than needed sealing in the flanges, then pumping the whole assembly down to as near a vacuum as possible, then purging with (supposedly) dry nitrogen to 3 atmospheres several time to purge any moisture.

You monitored the nitrogen output for moisture then refilled finally with Sulfur Hexafluoride. As a stupid kid thought it was hilarious to take a big old lungful of SF6 'cause it did the rverese of Helium and made you sound like Darth Vadar speaking from the bottom of a well......

Anyway, when I was there for a smoke test of a part of the switch gear (that I hadn't assembled and tested), one of the bars and containers hadn't been purged, hadn't been refilled, was full of hot humid air and when they threw the switch.... BOOM! Hole the size of my fist and arcing.....

Moral of story, the 'lekkie is not to be messed with..... Oh and gravity is mean....

One day I was swinging up like a monkey onto one of the sleeves about 20 feet of the ground, some idiot had left silicon grease on the top of the sleeve and I came down hard. Wouldn't have been too much of a problem as the next layer of two would have stopped the fall...except. I put my hand out and it slipped between one of the clamps that secured the ends of the sleeves, arm stopped, body didn't. People learned that I could swear fluently in 6 languages that day..... :mad2: :thumbsdown: :blackeyebig: :crying: Big old but clean break......Plaster of Paris and lots of nice pills......
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Baiting then assault do not count as self defence

Guilty :)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-20/ ... /101793010

White nationalist Thomas Sewell found guilty of assaulting security guard as his friend filmed

A neo-Nazi who punched a black security guard after the man reacted to being called a racial slur is facing jail time after being found guilty of the vicious assault.

Warning: This story contains racist language

Key points:
Thomas Sewell was found guilty of assaulting a security guard outside the Channel Nine headquarters in March 2021
Video footage of the incident shows Sewell and friend Jacob Hersant racially taunting the victim

Sewell will return to court in January for a plea hearing
Thomas Sewell, 29, has appeared in the Melbourne Magistrates' Court where he has been fighting charges of recklessly causing injury and unlawful assault outside the Nine Network's headquarters at the Docklands in 2021.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Notice from my employer:
E-ISAC (The Electriicity Information Sharing and Analysis Center) published a bulletin referencing that power plants around the country have received suspicious letters that include attacks to electrical infrastructure, the Bible and Islam. We were also notified from MSU Police Department that they received similar letters at their power plant. In the event that wee receive one of these letters, call Security to let them handle it. They will continue to notify law enforcement from there. Unless there is a threat that is specific and credible, it should not affect operations. Rmember, if youSee Something, Say Something!
emphasis and grammar original, typos mine
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... on-russell
A neo-Nazi converted to Islam and killed 2 roommates for ‘disrespecting’ his faith, police say
Police later found bomb-making equipment, explosive substances and neo-Nazi propaganda in the Florida apartment shared by four men.

A neo-Nazi leader recently released from prison has been arrested again and accused of plotting an attack on the Maryland power grid with a woman he met while incarcerated.

Brandon Russell, 27, and Sarah Clendaniel, 34, are expected to make their first appearance Monday in Baltimore federal court on a charge of conspiring to destroy an energy facility, which carries up to 20 years in prison.
similar attacks on the power grid in North Carolina and Oregon that remain unsolved

Clendaniel and Russell met while incarcerated at separate prisons, according to the court documents — Russell in federal custody for possessing bombmaking materials and Clendaniel in a Maryland facility for robbing convenience stores with a machete.

Russell, a former Florida National Guard member, is the founder of the neo-Nazi group Atomwaffen,

A former Atomwaffen member named Devon Arthurs, who lived with Russell in Tampa, killed two of their roommates in 2017 and subsequently told authorities they had been planning attacks on U.S. nuclear plants and power lines.
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Moar.
Neo-Nazi Couple Arrested for Alleged Plot to Attack Power Grid and ‘Destroy Whole City’
Brandon Russell, leader of neo-Nazi group Atomwaffen Division, and his prison-girlfriend allegedly plotted to attack five Baltimore-area energy stations.

A neo-Nazi couple allegedly plotted to attack five energy substations in the Baltimore area, hoping to “completely destroy this whole city,” according to charging documents unsealed Monday.

Brandon Clint Russell, a founding member and leader in the dangerous neo-Nazi terror group Atomwaffen Division, was recently released from prison after serving time for possession of explosives. Federal authorities say that he met his girlfriend, Sarah Beth Clendaniel while she was serving her own prison sentence for a string of armed robberies of convenience stores in Maryland.

Following their respective releases on probation, the pair hatched a plot to attack critical infrastructure, according to the DOJ. Charging documents show Clendaniel posing in tactical gear emblazoned with swastikas and a skull mask (known as “siege masks” among neo-Nazi accelerationists). Russell, who’s based in Orlando, Florida, shared links to critical infrastructure and identified substations which would cause a “cascading failure” if attacked simultaneously, according to the federal complaint.

The five substations they allegedly wanted to target included Norrisville, Reisterstown, and Perry Hall, according to the complaint. Clendaniels said these substations were arranged in a “ring” around Baltimore and would wipe out power across the city if they were attacked simultaneously. “It would probably permanently completely lay this city to waste if we could do that successfully,” she allegedly told an FBI source.

"Their actions threatened the electricity and heat of our homes, hospitals and businesses," Thomas Sobocinski, the special agent in charge of the FBI's Baltimore field office, said at a press conference announcing charges on Monday. "The FBI believes this was a real threat."
:snippity:
https://www.vice.com/en/article/g5v4pq/ ... atomwaffen
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “Other Efforts to Attack Democracy”