Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Languages

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Languages

Post by RTH10260 »

This puzzle sat unsolved for 2,500 years — until one student had a ‘eureka moment’

Moira Ritter
Fri, December 16, 2022 at 8:09 PM GMT+1

An ancient grammar problem has left experts stumped for 2,500 years. Now the code has been cracked by a Ph.D student.

Rishi Rajpopat was conducting research for his University of Cambridge thesis, which was published Dec. 15, when he solved a centuries-old puzzle surrounding a rule taught by Pāṇini, known as the father of linguistics, according to a news release from the university.

The discovery has been called “revolutionary” and will allow any Sanskrit word to be derived using Paṇini’s “language machine,” the university said. It could also mean that for the first time, Paṇini’s grammar can be programmed and taught to computers.

Sanskrit is an ancient language deriving from South-Asia and is the “sacred language of Hinduism,” according to the university. It has also been used in some of India’s scientific, philosophical and secular literature.

Student’s theory is key for solving ‘rule-conflicts’
While Pāṇini’s rules have provided scholars the means to understand Sanskrit, some rules are can be applied in the same circumstances, causing confusion among experts.

Known as “rule-conflicts,” these situations are applicable to millions of words, the university said. To combat the conflict, scholars have attempted to apply a metarule that helps determine how to solve a “rule-conflict.” This rule has been misunderstood and misapplied, though.

Rajpopat’s solution argues that when faced with a “rule-conflict,” you should apply the rule that fits the right side of the word. Testing proved that Rajpopat’s theory “produced grammatically correct words with almost no exceptions,” the university said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/puzzle-sat-u ... 35824.html
(Original Miami Herakd)
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Languages

Post by Foggy »

While Pāṇini’s rules have provided scholars the means to understand Sanskrit, some rules are can be applied in the same circumstances, causing confusion among experts.
Yeah, I are can be understand how that are be confusion, and I'm not even a expert.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
jemcanada2

Languages

Post by jemcanada2 »

Foggy wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:41 am
Yeah, I are can be understand how that are be confusion, and I'm not even a expert.
I believe you meant to say “I aren’t even a expert.” :fingerwag: :fingerwag: :kiss: :kiss:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Languages

Post by Foggy »

I may have said, I once saw a birther lady write out what she thought was the beginning of Lord's Prayer. She wrote:

Our Father, who aren't in Heaven, hallowed be thy name ...

And I just wanted to ask, if'n He aren't in Heaven, where are He? :think: :confuzzled:

But it was not a site where I was allowed to participate. :oopsy:
jemcanada2

Languages

Post by jemcanada2 »

Foggy wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:55 pm I may have said, I once saw a birther lady write out what she thought was the beginning of Lord's Prayer. She wrote:

And I just wanted to ask, if'n He aren't in Heaven, where are He? :think: :confuzzled:

:lol: :lol:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Languages

Post by Kriselda Gray »

:rotflmao:
Foggy wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:55 pm I may have said, I once saw a birther lady write out what she thought was the beginning of Lord's Prayer. She wrote:

Sam the Centipede

Languages

Post by Sam the Centipede »

"who art in Heaven"? isn't this good supposed to be everywhere?! How dare Jesus limit him to Heaven!

Perhaps the birther was rejecting Jesus' heresy?
tek

Languages

Post by tek »

And lead us not into Penn Station.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Languages

Post by keith »

But deliver us from weevils
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Languages

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
BeastofBourbon

Languages

Post by BeastofBourbon »

For wine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory, forever and ever.
BeastofBourbon

Languages

Post by BeastofBourbon »

Ramen!
Tiredretiredlawyer

Languages

:rimshot:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Languages

BeastofBourbon wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:38 amRamen!

But deliver us from weevils.

Ramen!
RTH10260

Languages

Post by RTH10260 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:49 am
BeastofBourbon wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:38 amRamen!

Our Father, who aren't in Heaven, halloweed be thy name ...

But deliver us from weevils.

Ramen!
fixed typo for you ;)
Tiredretiredlawyer

Languages

Foggy
Dick Tater

Languages

Post by Foggy »

You're all going to Heck. :fingerwag:

Oh wait, that's where all the really interesting people are. Never mind. :towel:
RTH10260

Languages

Post by RTH10260 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:02 pm :rotflmao:
alternate spelling: halloween
Tiredretiredlawyer

Languages

https://www.washingtonpost.com/books/20 ... e-history/
Sometimes it’s too much! But the exclamation point has a point.
A history — and defense — of emphatic punctuation

Sometimes it’s too much! But the exclamation point has a point.
A history — and defense — of emphatic punctuation
Perspective by Florence Hazrat

Gift Article

Open your text messages. Scroll through a couple of threads with your close friends. Chances are you will find plenty of ! or !!! — to express anger or enthusiasm or sometimes just to lighten the mood. But in some contexts — in a note, say, to your boss or your mother-in-law — an ! might come off as too forceful or pushy or naively joyful. The Chicago Manual of Style says the punctuation should be used “sparingly to be effective.” But what does “sparingly” mean in our emphatic times? If you’re confused, you’re not alone; the exclamation point (or mark) has long been a source of confusion and contention. Naturally!

For the last three years, I have been studying the history of the exclamation point — and over the course of my research (which began with a study of parentheses) time and again I have come across flak against !. I began to wonder whether the exclamation point was really as “breathless, almost childish” as the “Penguin Guide to Punctuation” says it is. I read on, hoping someone would publish a manifesto in defense of the poor abused mark, but couldn’t find anything. So that someone turned out to be me.

What I love about ! is precisely the unabashed emotion that makes sober style guides uncomfortable. The exclamation point encodes feelings — and it doesn’t apologize for doing so. In fact, since its first known appearance, in the 1340s, ! has been praised for capturing the emotion of the author and encouraging emotions in the reader.

The ! was a bit of a late bloomer — sprouting up from the period, which along with the comma, colon and question mark had been around for hundreds of years. The Italian scholar Alpoleio da Urbisaglia, however, noticed with dismay that people would read what he called “admirative sentences” as statements or questions, which undermined both the meaning and the effect. In his Latin treatise “The Art of Punctuating,” Alpoleio suggested a new mark, one that would signal “admiration and wonder” through a period at the bottom of the line and an apostrophe dangling from the top of the line. ! was born, addressing an express need for emotion in text.

Amy Krause Rosenthal's wonderful books include 'Exclamation Mark!'

Renaissance writers put a premium on persuasion, gladly using any means at their disposal to make their readers feel, so the exclamation point quickly spread across Europe from manuscript to manuscript and enlarged its sphere of influence to indicate not only admiration and wonder but any strong emotion.

Return to “Science”