Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

The Stupid Thread

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

To escape the dumb ads that Youtube feeds me with my home IP address I use a VPN to at least see something different, and when I do not understand the marketing spoken in a foreign language it makes the ads tolerable to an extent.

Currently I virtually live in Marseille, vive la France. (though in earlier installments YT projected me to either be in India and poked Hindu stuff at me, or in Tunisia and offered Muslim things).

One of their advertisers promotes hard alcoholic beverages.

French law obviously requires them to include a preface (translated and paraphrased):

THE FOLLOWING AD CONTAINS PROMOTION FOR AN ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE.
IF YOU ARE NOT AN ADULT YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO VIEW THE AD :!:

How does a minor skip a force fed YT ad stuffed down ones throat :confuzzled:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

The Stupid Thread

Post by northland10 »

If they had the rule in the US, kids would have to get up every time a booze commercial came on TV. It's sort of ironic because France has historically had far less restrictive laws on alcohol than the US.
101010 :towel:
RVInit

The Stupid Thread

Post by RVInit »

northland10 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:58 pm If they had the rule in the US, kids would have to get up every time a booze commercial came on TV. It's sort of ironic because France has historically had far less restrictive laws on alcohol than the US.
This is true. I have a friend that operated a restaurant/bar in a hotel on International Drive in Orlando. I helped them out a few times tending bar and one time I served a couple dining at a table with their teenage daughter. I believe they were from France. They were surprised that they could not order a glass of wine for their teenage daughter. It's apparently common for many European teens to learn about drinking by sitting at a table with their parents and enjoying a glass of wine with a meal. It made me wonder if teens in Europe, or at least in countries where this is common, might learn more respect for alcohol because of being introduced to it by example and with their parents present, encouraging them to view it as something to enjoy with a meal or in a social situation other than at some beer bash where the purpose is to get stinking drunk.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

The Stupid Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

My first drinks were wines with dinner, on special occasions, with my family or extended family as a teenager. It was a small serving, but it wasn't unusual. My dad always liked a glass of wine with dinner.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

The Stupid Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

In my Italian extended family, dinners at Noni Maria’s place always included wine, usually from Uncle Pepino’s vats. Kids, at age 7, got a finger of wine and the rest water in the wine glass. Each year there would be less water and more wine until 16 when you’d get the full glass.

Only one of my Italian cousins had problems later.
humblescribe
Verified:

The Stupid Thread

Post by humblescribe »

This is merely anecdotal from a friend of mine who is from a tiny village in Normandie.

He said that the bulk wine that was peddled from the vintner to the townsfolk for every day consumption had a comparatively low ABV. Somewhere south of 10%. That was the type of wine he was introduced to as a small boy. The better stuff with a higher ABV was reserved for special occasions. So, young children and adolescents who received, say, four ounces of 10% wine drank approximately .4 of an ounce of ethanol. This is far less ethanol than a twelve-ounce 5% beer (.6 ounces.)

So, I think the European style might need a little perspective, if his story is still true today. Essentially the European style is equivalent to 3.2% ABV beer that was consumed in twelve-ounce cans: (.032)(12) = .384, close enough to .4.

Three-point-two beer is a relic of Repeal. Breweries were allowed to produce 3.2% ABV beer immediately after the states ratified the amendment repealing Prohibition. Since the effective date was not until the following January 1, there was some sort of exemption for 4% ABW (that is alcohol by weight, not volume) which if you do the math, equates to 3.2% ABV.

:rockon:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
RTH10260

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

to be studied very seriously in the article :biggrin:
Okay, I Seriously Can't Stop Laughing At All These Ignorant Americans Who Got Absolutely Roasted Into Oblivion This Year

Wed, December 7, 2022 at 12:35 AM

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cant-st ... 01945.html
(original BuzzFeed)
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

The Stupid Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/world-n ... g-28668353
Irishman part of gang in €52million MDMA plot undone by cute dog picture
The gang had arranged to sell a 40-tonne Doosan digger in Australia with the drugs hidden in the scoop arm

But the traffickers, including Irishman Leon Reilly, were unaware the encrypted phone network they used had been hacked by the National Crime Agency, in part of the UK’s biggest-ever organised crime probe.

And one of the gang sent an image of Bob which included the dog’s tag and the phone number of the crook’s partner, which would help the NCA catch him.

Yesterday, at ­Kingston crown court in South West London, six men were jailed for a total of 140 years for the smuggling operations. One plotter, Danny Brown, 55, sent the shot of his pet anonymously to co-conspirator Stefan Baldauf, 62, via EncroChat, the phone network.

They did not use their real identities and investigators later had to prove their code names, or handles, were them.

Baldauf, known as “Boldmove”, also sent accidental selfies, giving investigators more proof. In one message Brown, called “throwthedice”, forwarded a photo of his TV which showed his reflection.

Baldauf, of Ealing, West London, shared a picture of a brass door sign in which his face was visible.

Bob was present when his master’s home in Bromley, South East London, was raided in June 2020.

The gang had stuffed 448kg of MDMA in the arms of a mechanical digger, and created a fake auction to make shipping the machinery 10,000 miles from Southampton to ­Brisbane in Australia appear legitimate.

But they rigged it by agreeing a pre-arranged bid with the intended recipients.
0_SWNS_DOG_DRUGS_12.jpg
0_SWNS_DOG_DRUGS_12.jpg (63.77 KiB) Viewed 905 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RVInit

The Stupid Thread

Post by RVInit »

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

The Stupid Thread

Post by bill_g »

He's not getting to work now.
sugar magnolia

The Stupid Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

Also where the phrase "what a dumbfuck" comes from.
noblepa

The Stupid Thread

Post by noblepa »

That reminds me of a tv commercial for the VW bug, back in the early seventies. They drove a bug into a pool, to demonstrate how well the doors sealed. The car did, in fact, float . . . for a while. At the end of the commercial, the car sank.

The voiceover said "A Volkswagon will definitely float, but it won't float indefinitely. Please drive around puddles, especially those large enough to have names".
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

The Stupid Thread

Post by keith »

Geezus

I've been known to drive across flooded causeways that I really shouldn't have (and make it), but geezus that is some really dumb decision making.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
RTH10260

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Customers queue at Aldi at dawn for YouTubers’ Prime Hydration drink
The energy drink became a sensation after it was launched by social media influencers KSI and Logan Paul

Joanna Partridge
Thu 29 Dec 2022 16.12 GMT

Customers queued outside stores before dawn, jostled other shoppers and even dived headfirst into display units on Thursday as sales of the sought-after YouTuber-promoted Prime Hydration energy drink kicked off with a fizz at Aldi supermarkets.

Shoppers raced to UK Aldi stores early in the morning to snap up bottles of the £1.99 beverage, which became an internet sensation after it was launched by social media influencers KSI and Logan Paul.

The craze has been fuelled by the drink’s limited availability in Britain – before Christmas it was previously available only on its own website or at Asda, where it sold for £2 a bottle – leading to supplies selling out and bottles being offered for sale online for up to £10,000.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/ ... paul-queue
RTH10260

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Lights, camera, action: Barberton councilman tracks down suspect in trail camera theft

Alan Ashworth, Akron Beacon Journal
Mon, January 2, 2023 at 12:02 PM GMT+1

When Barberton City Council President Justin Greer began receiving images from a trail camera about noon on the day before Christmas Eve, he immediately knew a few things.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/lights-camer ... 57839.html
(original: Akron Beacon Journal)
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

The Stupid Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:31 pm
Customers queue at Aldi at dawn for YouTubers’ Prime Hydration drink
The energy drink became a sensation after it was launched by social media influencers KSI and Logan Paul

Joanna Partridge
Thu 29 Dec 2022 16.12 GMT

Customers queued outside stores before dawn, jostled other shoppers and even dived headfirst into display units on Thursday as sales of the sought-after YouTuber-promoted Prime Hydration energy drink kicked off with a fizz at Aldi supermarkets.

Shoppers raced to UK Aldi stores early in the morning to snap up bottles of the £1.99 beverage, which became an internet sensation after it was launched by social media influencers KSI and Logan Paul.

The craze has been fuelled by the drink’s limited availability in Britain – before Christmas it was previously available only on its own website or at Asda, where it sold for £2 a bottle – leading to supplies selling out and bottles being offered for sale online for up to £10,000.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/ ... paul-queue
My kid convinced me to buy some of those a couple months back before I knew they were associated with Paul. They drank all of them though.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Biker who tried to get away from GSP identified after he posted video of chase to TikTok, YouTube

WSBTV.com News Staff
Fri, January 6, 2023 at 7:38 PM GMT+1

The Clayton County Police Department has issued arrest warrants for a Riverdale motorcyclist after officers said he eluded police during a chase and then posted his exploits on social media.

The Georgia State Patrol had begun chasing the biker through Clayton and Henry counties, but said the driver was able to get away after they lost contact with him.

After hearing about the case, Lt. Reimers with the Clayton County Police Department began searching social media and eventually found video recorded by the suspect of the chase on TikTok and YouTube.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/biker-tried- ... 21339.html
(original: WSB Cox)
RTH10260

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

New York folks mimicing FL Man and FL Womann

:cantlook: :brickwallsmall:

RTH10260

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

:eek: be afraid - the heavens are falling - or it will be raining cats and dogs :doh:

BLM will destroy your cities etc

"best of yoour tubes"

RTH10260

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

:brickwallsmall: back to the horse buggy
Wyoming wants to phase out sales of new EVs by 2035
It's a symbolic gesture aimed at states like California.

Igor Bonifacic·Weekend Editor
Sun, January 15, 2023 at 9:07 PM GMT+1

While jurisdictions like California and New York move toward banning the sale of new gasoline-powered cars, one US state wants to go in the opposite direction. Wyoming’s legislature is considering a resolution that calls for a phaseout of new electric vehicle sales by 2035. Introduced on Friday, Senate Joint Resolution 4 has support from members of the state’s House of Representatives and Senate.

In the proposed resolution, a group of lawmakers led by Senator Jim Anderson says Wyoming’s “proud and valued” oil and gas industry has created “countless” jobs and contributed revenue to the state’s coffers. They add that a lack of charging infrastructure within Wyoming would make the widespread use of EVs “impracticable” and that the state would need to build “massive amounts of new power generation” to “sustain the misadventure of electric vehicles.”

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/wyom ... 04042.html
(original: engadget)
pipistrelle

The Stupid Thread

Post by pipistrelle »

Wyoming-less population than even remote Alaska.

Around here, as EVs have proliferated, so have the charging stations. Odd how that happens.
much ado

The Stupid Thread

Post by much ado »

Many years ago, early '70s, my dad advised me never to buy a car that required lead-free gas.

I guess he wanted me to walk.
Suranis

The Stupid Thread

Post by Suranis »

much ado wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:27 pm Many years ago, early '70s, my dad advised me never to buy a car that required lead-free gas.

Well, the reason they put in Lead in the first place was it made engines run smoother and require less maintenance. So his advice, from that perspective, was spot on. The fact that it caused an entire generation of Violent Cavemen is just a sexy side effect.
Hic sunt dracones
humblescribe
Verified:

The Stupid Thread

Post by humblescribe »

"Proud and valued oil and gas industry?"

Lookit, Wyoming does not have an income tax because of the lucrative severance and property taxes it imposes upon this proud and valued industry. According to

https://pawyo.org/facts-figures/

about 19,000 people worked in the petroleum industry in Wyoming in 2021, or about 3 ¼% of the total population. I bet if we eliminate minors and the retired folks, that percentage nearly doubles.

The video embedded in the propaganda from the Petroleum Association of Wyoming makes it clear that this industry is what keeps the state open for business.

It is not much of a stretch to think that if ICE vehicles are phased out in substantial numbers in the next 20+ years, that much of the demand for petroleum fuels will also dry up. Those lucrative "high-paying" jobs will end. The values of the properties for taxation and the severance taxes collected by Cheyenne will follow suit. Wyoming may be forced to--horrors!--implement a state income tax.

Whatcha gonna do when the auto manufacturers completely phase out ICE vehicles to be replaced with alternate forms of energy? They are heading down that road as I type.

Nothing is forever, Wyoming. Get used to it. Find something else to exploit.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
noblepa

The Stupid Thread

Post by noblepa »

Suranis wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:06 am
much ado wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:27 pm Many years ago, early '70s, my dad advised me never to buy a car that required lead-free gas.

Well, the reason they put in Lead in the first place was it made engines run smoother and require less maintenance. So his advice, from that perspective, was spot on. The fact that it caused an entire generation of Violent Cavemen is just a sexy side effect.
Tetra-ethyl-lead in gasoline served a couple of purposes. Mostly, it reduced the engine's tendency to pre-ignite or "knock". This allows the ignition timing to be advanced, increasing horsepower. Secondly, it lubricated the valve seats.

When t-e-l was removed from gasoline, and compression ratios were lowered, timing had to be dialed back. Both the lower compression and retarded timing reduce power.

Engines designed for unleaded gas have hardened valve seats, which makes them last longer. When restoring an old engine, it is wise to have hardened seats installed, or to buy a lead additive to add to every tank of gas.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”