Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Another Shooting

AndyinPA
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by AndyinPA »

https://abcnews.go.com/US/5-year-critic ... d=94432306
A 5-year-old boy is fighting for his life Sunday after being shot by an 8-year-old family friend inside a Houston home, police said.

Three people were detained for questioning following the shooting Saturday afternoon in the Trinity/Houston Gardens neighborhood in east Houston, police said.

Commander Jonathan Halliday of the Houston Police Department said at least one adult was present when the shooting occurred. Halliday said it was not immediately clear how the older boy got his hands on the gun.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Suranis

Another Shooting

Post by Suranis »

Obviously the boy is an expert safecracker and expertly got into the gun safe, loaded the gun with ammo, then installed a kit from the internet to give the thing a hair trigger like God intended.
Hic sunt dracones
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Another Shooting

Post by Frater I*I »

Suranis wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:43 pm Obviously the boy is an expert safecracker and expertly got into the gun safe, loaded the gun with ammo, then installed a kit from the internet to give the thing a hair trigger like God intended.
Kids can learn all kinds of crazy things on the youtubes.....

I'll see myself out...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
roadscholar

Another Shooting

Post by roadscholar »

What’s the point of the drag story hour?

I dunno, maybe to show the community and some children that drag queens are actually just people, and nice people at that, volunteering to read to kids.

Just a thought.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

roadscholar wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:51 pm What’s the point of the drag story hour?

I dunno, maybe to show the community and some children that drag queens are actually just people, and nice people at that, volunteering to read to kids.

Just a thought.
It's theater. Kids respond very well to theater. Those adults who are hung up on sex stuff, are well, it is their own issues.
Danraft

Another Shooting

Post by Danraft »

A thread on the power outage “shooting”?
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

'Targeted' N.C. power outages could leave more than 100, 000 in the dark for days
Curfew is declared, schools closed as the FBI and state authorities join the investigation into the gun attacks on two energy substations in Moore County.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nc ... -rcna59993
Officials on Sunday cautioned residents of Moore County, North Carolina, to prepare for days without electricity after a targeted attack on substations left all 103,000 residents in the dark.

Moore County Sheriff Ronnie Fields said a suspect or suspects drove up to two Duke Energy power substations Saturday night — breaching a gate in one case — and opened fire, disabling them and resulting in a blackout for 45,000 utility customers that could last through Thursday.

The FBI and state investigators have joined the inquiry to determine who was behind the attack, officials said, as a state of emergency with a 9 p.m. curfew was declared in the county, schools were declared closed for Monday, and shelter was set up for those who need electricity for medical devices or heating.

:snippity:

"We are looking at a pretty sophisticated repair with some fairly large equipment, and so we do want citizens of the town to be prepared that this will be a multi-day restoration for most customers extending potentially as long as Thursday," he said Sunday.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
PaulG

Another Shooting

Post by PaulG »

neonzx wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:08 pm
roadscholar wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:51 pm What’s the point of the drag story hour?

Just a thought.
It's theater. Kids respond very well to theater. Those adults who are hung up on sex stuff, are well, it is their own issues.
:yeahthat: I can't think how many things I got dragged to as a kid with people dressed up. No drag queens as I remember, more dead presidents and founding fathers and lots of puppets.
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Another Shooting

Post by Mr brolin »

All of these Drag/Trans etc haters would have full blown aneurysm blow outs if they ever come over to the UK and sat through a classic Christmas pantomime.

"OH NO ALL THESE CHILLUNS BEING CORRUPTED BY PANTO DAMES...... ARGLE BARGLE!!!!"

Apart from the cross dressing, Principal Boy is always a woman and the double entendres galore, the audience interactive element would freak them the feck out...... "Behind you !!!!"....."Oh yes it is"....Oh n it isn't" etc etc.......
sugar magnolia

Another Shooting

Post by sugar magnolia »

Mr brolin wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:43 am All of these Drag/Trans etc haters would have full blown aneurysm blow outs if they ever come over to the UK and sat through a classic Christmas pantomime.
Or took a walk through the French Quarter in New Orleans on any random Tuesday.
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

Here is a young Laurence Olivier as Kate in "Taming of the Shrew". Good thing the UK has gun control laws.

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

Another Shooting

Post by Kendra »

Interesting. The Emily Grace Rainey in this article is the same Emily Grace Rainey me
@StorytellerSBM
and
@JZBleiberg
wrote about for the
@AP
- she was a psychological operations officer who led a group of people from NC to DC on Jan. 6.
Kendra

Another Shooting

Post by Kendra »

Great to know this Sheriff is conducting the investigation involving this MAGA suspect who posted that she had knowledge of the power grid being destroyed and organized a protest of the drag show.
RVInit

Another Shooting

Post by RVInit »

We (Democratics) really need to seriously consider a massive effort to get more of the Democratic voting public willing to join police and sheriff's departments and also run for sheriff positions in as many counties as possible.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
neonzx

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

RVInit wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:13 pm We (Democratics) really need to seriously consider a massive effort to get more of the Democratic voting public willing to join police and sheriff's departments and also run for sheriff positions in as many counties as possible.
Well, I am aged-out of likely joining the police or sheriff's dept (I probably can go out on calls to file reports about someone did something or a vehicle stolen and stuff like that). Oh, we have those people. Unarmed and go out to deal with non emergencies.

But anyway, why are sheriffs elected anyhow? Our sheriff in Lee Co, Florida, spends most of his time pimping himself rather than solving crimes and problems. For the ~$180k or so salary plus perks I expect a bit more.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Another Shooting

Post by RTH10260 »

:brickwallsmall:
Brevard County Deputy Austin Walsh killed after fellow deputy 'jokingly' fired gun he thought was unloaded
Deputy Andrew Lawson arrested on manslaughter charge after 'extremely dumb' accident, sheriff says

By: Peter Burke
at 11:54 AM, Dec 05, 2022 and last updated 6:27 PM, Dec 05, 2022

MELBOURNE, Fla. — A Florida deputy was accidentally shot and killed by a fellow deputy in what the sheriff called an "extremely dumb and totally avoidable accident."

Brevard County Sheriff's Office Deputy Austin Walsh was fatally shot Saturday morning by his roommate, Deputy Andrew Lawson, in Palm Bay, Sheriff Wayne Ivey said Sunday.

The deputies were taking a break from playing an online game with friends and "were just kind of standing around, talking" when Lawson, "thinking that the gun was unloaded, jokingly pointed the gun in Austin's direction and pulled the trigger," Ivey said.

https://www.wptv.com/news/state/brevard ... l-shooting
neonzx

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

:roll:
Welcome to Florida, my current home state. For now.
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

Post by Dave from down under »

neonzx wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:39 pm But anyway, why are sheriffs elected anyhow? Our sheriff in Lee Co, Florida, spends most of his time pimping himself rather than solving crimes and problems. For the ~$180k or so salary plus perks I expect a bit more.
Because popularity is more important than professionalism. :crazy:
sugar magnolia

Another Shooting

Post by sugar magnolia »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:18 pm :brickwallsmall:
Brevard County Deputy Austin Walsh killed after fellow deputy 'jokingly' fired gun he thought was unloaded
Deputy Andrew Lawson arrested on manslaughter charge after 'extremely dumb' accident, sheriff says

By: Peter Burke
at 11:54 AM, Dec 05, 2022 and last updated 6:27 PM, Dec 05, 2022

MELBOURNE, Fla. — A Florida deputy was accidentally shot and killed by a fellow deputy in what the sheriff called an "extremely dumb and totally avoidable accident."

Brevard County Sheriff's Office Deputy Austin Walsh was fatally shot Saturday morning by his roommate, Deputy Andrew Lawson, in Palm Bay, Sheriff Wayne Ivey said Sunday.

The deputies were taking a break from playing an online game with friends and "were just kind of standing around, talking" when Lawson, "thinking that the gun was unloaded, jokingly pointed the gun in Austin's direction and pulled the trigger," Ivey said.

https://www.wptv.com/news/state/brevard ... l-shooting
IT WASN'T A FUCKING ACCIDENT!!! When you pick up a weapon, point it at someone and pull the trigger, IT ISN'T A FUCKING ACCIDENT!
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Another Shooting

Post by bill_g »

A pan never stops being a pan, a chair never stops being a chair, and a gun never stops being a gun.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Another Shooting

Post by Foggy »

... [he] jokingly pointed the gun ... and pulled the trigger," Ivey said.
:doh:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
neonzx

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

Rule #1 -- the gun is always assumed loaded.

Short story, which I probably told it here back in the day. I went to a co-workers home to help him out with something. Once task was done, we were sitting in the living room chatting and his 10-11 year old was present. My co-worker is a gun-nut. The kid is sitting across from me with a handgun (not threatening, just mishandling) and the barrel is pointed in my direction. I asked him to turn it away. The kid says it's not loaded because we just cleaned it. I said I do not care.

That was the only visit to my co-worker home.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Another Shooting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

sugar: IT WASN'T A FUCKING ACCIDENT!!! When you pick up a weapon, point it at someone and pull the trigger, IT ISN'T A FUCKING ACCIDENT!
To the zillionth power!!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
roadscholar

Another Shooting

Post by roadscholar »

:yeahthat: No kidding.

I just finished my Concealed Carry License class, and the instructors (who had either military or police training) drummed that into us forcefully: 1) Always assume the gun is loaded (in functional terms, Always handle every gun like it could be loaded, even if you feel sure it's not), 2) Never point it at anything you do not intend to shoot, and 3) Keep your finger off the trigger until you are actually ready to fire.

We were instructed to keep fingers off triggers even between groupings of two or three shots in the drills, and two people were sent home without graduating because they just couldn't get the hang of obeying the FINGER OFF TRIGGER! command after multiple warnings.

That dipstick ignored all three rules, which he 100% absolutely certainly had been taught.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

Post by Dave from down under »

Club Q shooter charged with 305 criminal counts including hate crimes and murder

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-07/ ... /101741794

The person accused of entering a gay nightclub in the US and opening fire with a rifle, killing five people and injuring 17, has been charged with 305 criminal counts, including hate crimes and murder.

Key points:
The alleged shooter faces 48 hate crime charges
Of those, 27 counts involve injuries and 21 involve people fearing injury or property damage
The suspect has not entered a plea or spoken about the events

The counts against Anderson Lee Aldrich include 48 hate crime charges, one for each person known to have been in the club at the time of the shooting.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”