TESLA and Elon Musk - anything not elsewhere

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I remember a time when many of us protested animal testing. I naively thought it would be minimized. So naive.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

tek wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:14 pm seem to be a lot of fanboys in the replies to that tweet
You cannot fathom the number of fanboys that worship at the altar of Elon Musk. In Elon they trust. Seriously.

I have gleaned over the years that many of them bought TSLA before 2011 or so at some ridiculously low price like $25/share. That stock has since split twice; if memory serves 5 for 1 followed about 12 months later with 3 for 1. So, a modest investment of 500 shares would have cost $12,500 back in the day.

Fast forward to today's closing at $179.82. (500)(15 split) = 7,500 shares at $179.82 = $1,348,650. Not too bad on a $12,500 investment. And if they are savvy, they could have made tens, if not hundreds of thousands more trading options with their TSLA holdings.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

humblescribe wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:12 pm
tek wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:14 pm seem to be a lot of fanboys in the replies to that tweet
You cannot fathom the number of fanboys that worship at the altar of Elon Musk. In Elon they trust. Seriously.

I have gleaned over the years that many of them bought TSLA before 2011 or so at some ridiculously low price like $25/share. That stock has since split twice; if memory serves 5 for 1 followed about 12 months later with 3 for 1. So, a modest investment of 500 shares would have cost $12,500 back in the day.

Fast forward to today's closing at $179.82. (500)(15 split) = 7,500 shares at $179.82 = $1,348,650. Not too bad on a $12,500 investment. And if they are savvy, they could have made tens, if not hundreds of thousands more trading options with their TSLA holdings.
They, and not any underlying business reason, are why I think Tesla, a 20 year old company that has posted something like 5 profitable quarters, has a market cap ~10 times the size of Ford, which from any metric that should matter is at least as valuable.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Elon Musk @elonmusk wrote: My pronouns are Prosecute/Fauci
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

raison de arizona wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:06 pm
Elon Musk @elonmusk wrote: My pronouns are Prosecute/Fauci
I think there are a lot of right wing nuts whose appropriate pronouns are Dumb and Dumber.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

My pronouns are for/what
Hic sunt dracones
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I loved this line from SNL -

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://gizmodo.com/elon-musk-booed-sta ... 1849881192
Elon Musk, the billionaire who wants nothing more in life than to be adored by legions of fans, was loudly booed by a crowd in San Francisco on Sunday night after he was invited onstage by comedian Dave Chappelle. And the footage is pretty rough, even if you don’t particularly like Musk.

“Ladies and gentlemen, make some noise for the richest man in the world,” Chappelle said near the end of his set at the Chase Center.

:snippity:

The crowd erupted into a mixture of cheers and boos, before the boos clearly won out, according to footage posted on Twitter. [Update, 6:40 a.m. ET: The footage appears to have been deleted from Twitter for some reason, but you can still watch it below.] The booing got louder as Musk wandered around onstage with a microphone in hand. Musk started pacing and waving, clearly unsure what to do about such a negative reaction

:snippity:

Phones weren’t allowed inside the stadium for the show, but at least one person snuck theirs in and captured the bizarre exchange, posting it to Twitter.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Wow, Elon has said that all the anti-Elon comments on Twitter are "bots".

There sure were a lot of "bots" in humanoid form in that audience. :biggrin:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Whoa, he goofed up, big time. He gave the public a chance to vote.

He put himself in front of the people he screwed - average Twitter users - and they told him what we are thinking.

Wish I'd been there. I can boo loud as hell, you can ask anybody. :lol:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

You mean his hawt dancing didn't impress them? :shrug:
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

Elon Musk @elonmusk wrote: Technically, it was 90% cheers & 10% boos (except during quiet periods), but, still, that’s a lot of boos, which is a first for me in real life (frequent on Twitter).

It’s almost as if I’ve offended SF’s unhinged leftists … but nahhh.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bob

Post by bob »

CNBC: Elon Musk is no longer the richest person in the world:
Tesla CEO Elon Musk is no longer the richest person in the world. He ceded that title to LVMH chairman and CEO Bernard Arnault* at the close on Monday, according to Forbes.

Tesla shares closed down about 6.3% for the day, and have more than halved in value this year partially due to a sell-off that accelerated in the wake of Musk’s $44 billion Twitter acquisition.

Arnault, through holding vehicles and family trusts, owns a little over 60% of LVMH’s voting share class, according to SEC filings. Arnault is worth $186.2 billion, according to Forbes.

According to FactSet data, Musk presently owns 14.11% of Tesla’s outstanding shares, with a market value of $530 billion. Musk also owns more than 40% of SpaceX shares, adding billions on paper to his net worth, based on a $125 billion private market valuation from June 2022.

Arnault made his fortune building the world’s largest luxury conglomerate, which includes brands like Louis Vuitton but also Tiffany, Tag Heuer, and Celine.
Image ImageImage
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Tesla stock is down 59.6% year-to-date. In comparison, Ford is down 37.7% and GM is down 36.5%. In further comparison, the DOW is down 6.6% YTD, the S&P 500 is down 16%, and Nasdaq is down 28.7%. So Musk is definitely holding the worst stock among those choices.

(By the way, I own quite a bit of my former employer's stock. It hit a 52-week high today, up 13.2% for the year. It's not a glitzy stock, it's an old Midwest manufacturing company.)
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

For those who don't play close attention, here is what is in the works for Tesla as we wind up 2022:

Their all-electric semi is starting to be delivered. Pepsi bagged several for their Frito-Lay plant in Modesto. Next year it is estimated that Tesla will sell upwards of 10,000 trucks as their manufacturing plant gets up and running in Texas. Currently the company is cranking out their trucks at the Gigafactory I outside Sparks, Nevada. Mega fast DC-DC charging is in the works. I am unclear as to the volume of electricity that will be pushed through the cables, but I hear gossip that the trucks will be able to charge at over 500 kW, perhaps much more. Their cars can take up to 250 kW, so there needs to be adequate infrastructure and power availability from the utilities to push that quantity into trucks for 1-2 hours. (The rate does taper down as the battery fills, so it is not a constant 500+ kW.)

Their long-awaited Cybertruck (butt ugly if you ask me) should be available some time in the second or early third quarter 2023. Announced in 2016 ish.

It is currently unknown when, if eve, their ultra fast and sleek new roadster will be made. They took reservations in 2017 with a targeted date of manufacture in 2021. The deposits were 50K for the ordinary roadster and 200K for the "signature series" roadster.

There is also a rumor floating about that Tesla is going to start selling an entry-level BEV with a smaller battery for local and small fleet driving.

Given Tesla's poor execution and delivery on their products, who knows if the roadster and entry-level BEV will ever be manufactured.

If the traditional auto makers can ramp up their production of battery electric vehicles, they may soon eclipse Tesla with annual sales. And with a robust dealership service network in place, it would be much more convenient to buy a Ford or Mercedes or Lexus than a Tesla and have the service center only available via your Tesla app with the inevitable back-and-forth in negotiating a service date and time.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Looks like a poor man’s Joker.
bob

Post by bob »

No flaws.
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona

I can't see how this would possibly cause any problems or danger.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Why does he put "car" in quotes? Does he not think it's a real car?
raison de arizona

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:39 pm Why does he put "car" in quotes? Does he not think it's a real car?
Because it's more than a car, it's also a video gaming machine!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/1 ... buy-Teslas
Elon Musk is about to learn that liberals—not his new deplorable pals—buy Teslas

I drive a Tesla. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. Sometimes it feels like a third of people around me drive Teslas. I see lots of Teslas in New York City, Austin, and Seattle. I don’t see many of them in Alabama, or the Florida Panhandle or mid-Pennsylvania or Idaho, or anywhere else that’s mostly conservative.

Yet Elon Musk has decided to literally destroy his personal brand—and Tesla’s along with it—in his bizarro turn toward the QAnon dark side. As I’ve been saying for a while (on Twitter), this was never going to end well for Tesla.

A look at Tesla dealerships confirms that, yes, it’s urban liberal elites buying the cars:

Houston: 4
Miami: 4
Los Angeles: 3
Palo Alto: 3
Austin: 3
Bellevue: 3
Honolulu: 3
Corte Madera: 2
Orlando: 2
Seattle:2

Looking at where electric vehicles are registered in Texas, just 10.12% are registered outside of the state’s four big liberal centers: Dallas-Fort Worth (35.75%), Houston (23.45%), Austin (21%), and San Antonio (9.68%). The vast Texas conservative hinterlands have little interest in Musk’s product. Woke California buys 42% of all electric vehicles—the vast majority in its urban liberal centers—while making up just 12% of the country’s population.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Following above line of thought, I wonder how NASA feels about space exploration with SpaceX, will they be able to keep their engineers when the top management goes crazy?
raison de arizona

Dunno what this is on about, but with his goings on seems ominous.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1603804175858429952
Elon Musk @elonmusk wrote: And soon, ladies & gentlemen, the coup de grâce
Maybe he's going to sell NFT trading cards.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”