Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Artificial Intelligence (AI) in General

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

AI bot ChatGPT stuns academics with essay-writing skills and usability
Latest chatbot from Elon Musk-founded OpenAI can identify incorrect premises and refuse to answer inappropriate requests

Alex Hern
Sun 4 Dec 2022 19.17 GMT

Professors, programmers and journalists could all be out of a job in just a few years, after the latest chatbot from the Elon Musk-founded OpenAI foundation stunned onlookers with its writing ability, proficiency at complex tasks, and ease of use.

The system, called ChatGPT, is the latest evolution of the GPT family of text-generating AIs. Two years ago, the team’s previous AI, GPT3, was able to generate an opinion piece for the Guardian, and ChatGPT has significant further capabilities.

In the days since it was released, academics have generated responses to exam queries that they say would result in full marks if submitted by an undergraduate, and programmers have used the tool to solve coding challenges in obscure programming languages in a matter of seconds – before writing limericks explaining the functionality.

Dan Gillmor, a journalism professor at Arizona State University, asked the AI to handle one of the assignments he gives his students: writing a letter to a relative giving advice regarding online security and privacy. “If you’re unsure about the legitimacy of a website or email, you can do a quick search to see if others have reported it as being a scam,” the AI advised in part.

“I would have given this a good grade,” Gillmor said. “Academia has some very serious issues to confront.”

OpenAI said the new AI was created with a focus on ease of use. “The dialogue format makes it possible for ChatGPT to answer follow-up questions, admit its mistakes, challenge incorrect premises, and reject inappropriate requests,” OpenAI said in a post announcing the release.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -usability
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

I'll believe we have reached actual AI when the first one gets tried and executed for murder/being dark'ish in Texas..... :mrgreen:
tek

Post by tek »

Yes, well, the current crop of 'journalists' could be replaced by a mildy-hacked Speak-and-Spell
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Guess it is time to update the Turing Test.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

They need to run the Turing test on Hershel Walker.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Just going to throw this on the table for discussion.

What would actual A.I. accomplish for humanity?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I have discussed this, not just because it really interests me, but because I think it's an inevitable part of our future.

Sixty years ago, the technology for media that was available to me included radio, black and white television, phonograph records, and the theaters. We had electric appliances. No computers.

In 2008, at my dad's 80th birthday party, my niece Mary gave a speech - she laughed about how primitive tech was in my dad's day, and she said "I don't know how I could live without my Wii and my iPod!"

Of course, Wiis and iPods are obsolete already. She learned how to live without them.

But imagine the tech we're going to see over the next sixty years. :shock:

It's all accelerating, zoom, you blinked!

Foggy wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:19 am
"Sentience is the next phase of universal organisation. First came primitive stars to turn simple molecules into complex ones, then came more complex stars with planetary systems, then came life, and finally sentience — first in primitive organic form, then advanced synthetic form." - Joel Shepherd
In other words, there's a higher level of sentience than our pitiful and primitive "organic" sentience, and that's ... the sentience of machines.

Which, as you know, there are many thousands of sentient organic beings right here on this planet who are working feverishly to develop artificial intelligence, also known as machine-based sentience.

So when we do find intelligent life on other planets, it may be a race - or a group of races - of fully sentient machines, whose intelligence might eclipse ours in unknown ways. And since they don't reproduce organically, there might could be a lot more of them than there are of us.

:shock:
Edit: And I suppose the next question would be, among a race of sentient machines, what religion would they practice? :o
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Mr brolin wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:26 am I'll believe we have reached actual AI when the first one gets tried and executed for murder/being dark'ish in Texas..... :mrgreen:
And that's how the Machine Revolt begins....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

neonzx wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:06 am :snippity:
By enslaving us for our betterment....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

What do they need us for? :think:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... r-AA150hdL
San Francisco reverses approval of killer robot policy

In late November, San Francisco's Board of Supervisors has approved a proposal that would allow the city's police force to use remote-controlled robots as a deadly force option when faced with violent or armed suspects. The supervisors voted 8-to-3 in favor of making it a new policy despite opposition by civil rights groups, but now they seem to have had a change of heart. During the second of two required votes before a policy can be sent to the mayor's office for final approval, the board voted 8-to-3 to explicitly ban the use of lethal force by police robots. As San Francisco Chronicle notes, this about-face is pretty unusual, as the board's second votes are typically just formalities that echo the first ones' results.

The San Francisco Police Department made the proposal after a law came into effect requiring California officials to define the authorized uses of their military-grade equipment. It would have allowed cops to equip robots with explosives "to contact, incapacitate, or disorient violent, armed, or dangerous suspects." Authorities could only use the robots for lethal force after they've exhausted all other possibilities, and a high-ranking official would have to approve their deployment. However, critics are concerned that the machines could be abused.

Dean Preston, one of the supervisors who oppose the use of robots as a deadly force option, said the policy will "place Black and brown people in disproportionate danger of harm or death." In a newer statement made after the board's second vote, Preston said: "There have been more killings at the hands of police than any other year on record nationwide. We should be working on ways to decrease the use of force by local law enforcement, not giving them new tools to kill people."

While the supervisors voted to ban the use of lethal force by police robots — for now, anyway — they also sent the original policy proposing the use of killer robots back for review. The board's Rules Committee could now amend it further to have stricter rules for use of bomb-equipped robots, or it could scrap the old proposal altogether.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

New policy: robots sending sternly-worded letters :banana:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Has everybody heard about the bird?
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

neonzx wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:06 am What would actual A.I. accomplish for humanity?
I see it as kinda like having kids, but on a species level. The act of creation, and raising it, is a goal unto itself, not just something that benefits us.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

You against the machine: Can you spot which image was created by A.I.?
AI art is suddenly everywhere. We created a quiz to see whether you can spot the difference between human- and robot-generated images.

https://www.nbcnews.com/specials/ai-gen ... d_nn_tw_ma
We were told to fear killer robots. But the artistic ones are here first.

Advances in artificial intelligence have enabled a wave of online image generators, which have ushered in a torrent of computer-generated images and artwork at remarkably high quality.

AI-generated art has won prizes in art competitions, and it is actively being used by some content creators who might have previously used human illustrators, elbowing out artists who use more traditional methods and raising both hope and hand-wringing about the future of art.

But how does AI art actually compare to art created by humans?

NBC News used various AI services to create 21 images, each one imitating a subject of a photograph, drawing or painting that was created by a human. When they’re put side by side, it can sometimes be difficult to tell which is which, although there may be hints.

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Fun, thanks!
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Facial recognition bars lawyer from Girl Scout trip to Rockettes Christmas show
Kelly Conlon was blocked because her New York firm is involved in a personal injury claim against operator of Radio City Music Hall

Edward Helmore in New York
Wed 21 Dec 2022 15.14 GMT

A lawyer employed by a firm involved in a personal injury claim against the operator of Radio City Music Hall said she was barred from attending the Rockettes Christmas show at the famous Manhattan venue after being picked up by facial recognition technology at the entrance.

Kelly Conlon told NBC New York she and her daughter came to the city from New Jersey last month as part of a Girl Scout field trip to see the show – but she was prevented from entering.

Conlon said: “It was pretty simultaneous, I think, to me, going through the metal detector, that I heard over an intercom or loudspeaker, I heard them say, ‘Woman with long dark hair and a grey scarf.’”

Conlon said she was asked her name and to produce identification.

“I believe they said that ‘Our recognition picked you up,’” she said. “They knew my name before I told them. They knew the firm I was associated with before I told them. And they told me I was not allowed to be there.”

Conlon is an attorney with Davis, Saperstein and Salomon, a law firm involved in a personal injury claim against MSG Entertainment, which operates Radio City Music Hall.

A sign at the venue says facial recognition is used as a security measure. Conlon said she posed no threat and was not involved in the personal injury case.

In a statement, MSG said it had “a straightforward policy that precludes attorneys pursuing active litigation against the company from attending events at our venues until that litigation has been resolved.

“While we understand this policy is disappointing to some … all impacted attorneys were notified of the policy, including Davis, Saperstein and Salomon, which was notified twice.”

MSG also said its priority was safety and it was confident it was “in compliance with all applicable laws”.

It added: “In this particular situation, only the one attorney who chose to attend was denied entry, and the rest of of her group – including the Girl Scouts – were all able to attend and enjoy the show.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ettes-show
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Much more at the link.
John Wiseman @lemonodor wrote: I saw a somewhat astonishing thing today. GPT was asked a question that it needed to write code to answer, and given access to a Python REPL. It wrote buggy code, then based on the error message it fixed its own code until it worked (and gave the correct answer). It debugged.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

That is astonishing. When AI really takes off, it's going to be able to write - and improve - code faster than any human could ever dream of doing.

This is why I keep saying, the next evolutionary step in intelligence is machine sentience. I hope the machines will still find us useful. :mrgreen:
Edit: I read the post to double check it, and then I clicked Unread Posts, and the new post is in the Steve Bannon thread. I hope the machines won't still find him useful. :|
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:02 pm Much more at the link.
https://twitter.com/lemonodor/status/16 ... 4074398720
John Wiseman @lemonodor wrote: I saw a somewhat astonishing thing today. GPT was asked a question that it needed to write code to answer, and given access to a Python REPL. It wrote buggy code, then based on the error message it fixed its own code until it worked (and gave the correct answer). It debugged.
A first shot comment without reading further:
GPT created from a template it found with a matching name some code and refined its syntax until it compiled without error. That does not mean that the output will be pleasing. Semantics matter, eg what is an algorithm, does GPT know how to pick a valid implementation as basis for its work? Can it verify the corret computation from a set of input values?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Notable signers: Elon Musk, Steve Wozniak, many more at link. (emphasis original)
Pause Giant AI Experiments: An Open Letter
We call on all AI labs to immediately pause for at least 6 months the training of AI systems more powerful than GPT-4.

AI systems with human-competitive intelligence can pose profound risks to society and humanity, as shown by extensive research[1] and acknowledged by top AI labs.[2] As stated in the widely-endorsed Asilomar AI Principles, Advanced AI could represent a profound change in the history of life on Earth, and should be planned for and managed with commensurate care and resources. Unfortunately, this level of planning and management is not happening, even though recent months have seen AI labs locked in an out-of-control race to develop and deploy ever more powerful digital minds that no one – not even their creators – can understand, predict, or reliably control.

Contemporary AI systems are now becoming human-competitive at general tasks,[3] and we must ask ourselves: Should we let machines flood our information channels with propaganda and untruth? Should we automate away all the jobs, including the fulfilling ones? Should we develop nonhuman minds that might eventually outnumber, outsmart, obsolete and replace us? Should we risk loss of control of our civilization? Such decisions must not be delegated to unelected tech leaders. Powerful AI systems should be developed only once we are confident that their effects will be positive and their risks will be manageable. This confidence must be well justified and increase with the magnitude of a system's potential effects. OpenAI's recent statement regarding artificial general intelligence, states that "At some point, it may be important to get independent review before starting to train future systems, and for the most advanced efforts to agree to limit the rate of growth of compute used for creating new models." We agree. That point is now.

Therefore, we call on all AI labs to immediately pause for at least 6 months the training of AI systems more powerful than GPT-4. This pause should be public and verifiable, and include all key actors. If such a pause cannot be enacted quickly, governments should step in and institute a moratorium.

AI labs and independent experts should use this pause to jointly develop and implement a set of shared safety protocols for advanced AI design and development that are rigorously audited and overseen by independent outside experts. These protocols should ensure that systems adhering to them are safe beyond a reasonable doubt.[4] This does not mean a pause on AI development in general, merely a stepping back from the dangerous race to ever-larger unpredictable black-box models with emergent capabilities.

AI research and development should be refocused on making today's powerful, state-of-the-art systems more accurate, safe, interpretable, transparent, robust, aligned, trustworthy, and loyal.

In parallel, AI developers must work with policymakers to dramatically accelerate development of robust AI governance systems. These should at a minimum include: new and capable regulatory authorities dedicated to AI; oversight and tracking of highly capable AI systems and large pools of computational capability; provenance and watermarking systems to help distinguish real from synthetic and to track model leaks; a robust auditing and certification ecosystem; liability for AI-caused harm; robust public funding for technical AI safety research; and well-resourced institutions for coping with the dramatic economic and political disruptions (especially to democracy) that AI will cause.

Humanity can enjoy a flourishing future with AI. Having succeeded in creating powerful AI systems, we can now enjoy an "AI summer" in which we reap the rewards, engineer these systems for the clear benefit of all, and give society a chance to adapt. Society has hit pause on other technologies with potentially catastrophic effects on society.[5] We can do so here. Let's enjoy a long AI summer, not rush unprepared into a fall.
https://futureoflife.org/open-letter/pa ... periments/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

This is a 2+ hour debate between a guy I like to listen to on Youtube and an AI expert on the future of AI. I haven't watched it yet, but this guy is generally an interesting guy even when I disagree with him, so I thought I would drop it here. People might find it interesting.

Accursed Farms
An interesting discussion / debate with Eliezer Yudkowsky on whether AI will end humanity. For some, this may be fascinating, frustrating, frightening, spur more curiosity, I have no idea. I feel like we each tried our best to make our case, even if we got lost in the weeds a few times. There's definitely food for thought here either way. Also, I screwed up and the chat text ended up being too tiny, sorry about that.
Accursed Farms
5 hours ago
I'm not the best at thinking on the fly, so here are two key points I tried to make that got a little lost in the discussion:

1. I think our entire disagreement rests on Eliezer seeing increasingly refined AI conclusively making the jump to actual intelligence, whereas I do not see that. I only see software that mimics many observable characteristics of intelligence and gets better at it the more it's refined.

2. My main point of the stuff about real v. fake + biological v. machine evolution was only to say that just because a process shares some characteristics with another one, other emergent properties aren't necessarily shared also. In many cases, they aren't. This strikes me as the case for human intelligence v. machine learning.

MY CONCLUSION

By the end, I honestly couldn't tell if he was making a faith-based argument that increasingly refined AI will lead to true intelligence, despite being unsubstantiated OR if he did substantiate it and I was just too dumb to connect the dots. Maybe some of you can figure it out!
Hic sunt dracones
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

neonzx wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:06 am Just going to throw this on the table for discussion.

Make more of them unemployed.

Not seeing an upside, really.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Reduce costs for the owners by replacing humans. Even if they do the job badly, they don't draw a salary, so they are better.
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

A curious person’s guide to artificial intelligence
In the future, some researchers say the technology will approach artificial general intelligence, or AGI, a point at which it matches or exceeds the intelligence of humans. The idea is core to the mission of some artificial intelligence labs, like OpenAI, which lists achieving AGI as its goal in its founding documents. Other experts contest that AI is anywhere close to achieving this kind of sophistication, with some critics contending it’s a marketing term.

:snippity:

Chatbots can sometimes make up sources or confidently spread misinformation. In one instance, ChatGPT invented a sexual harassment scandal against a college law professor. It can also churn out conspiracy theories and racist answers. Sometimes it expresses biases in its work: In one experiment, robots identified Black men when asked to find a “criminal” and marked all “homemakers” as women.
:shock:

Return to “Computers and Internet”