Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Brexit

Uninformed

Brexit

Post by Uninformed »

Simon Spurrell supposedly voted “remain”.

“While he did vote 'remain' in the 2016 EU referendum, Simon said he has long since "accepted the democratic decision".”

https://macclesfield.nub.news/news/loca ... t-red-tape
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Brexit

Post by Ben-Prime »

Uninformed wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:09 pm Simon Spurrell supposedly voted “remain”.

“While he did vote 'remain' in the 2016 EU referendum, Simon said he has long since "accepted the democratic decision".”

https://macclesfield.nub.news/news/loca ... t-red-tape
Excellent, thank you for finding this. I spent over an hour and finally gave up.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Brexit

Post by RTH10260 »

No 10 seeks to quell hardline Brexiters’ fears over reports of Swiss-style EU deal
Minister rubbishes reports of ‘Chequers’-style plan, as businesses expected to call for more ‘practical’ immigration rules

Aubrey Allegretti and Lisa O'Carroll
Mon 21 Nov 2022 00.00 GMT

Rishi Sunak is facing a new row on two fronts over Brexit, as he sought to quell a backlash from hardline Eurosceptics given suggestions the UK could seek a Swiss-style deal with Brussels, while businesses are expected to call for a more “practical” immigration stance.

Ahead of the prime minister’s address to business leaders in Birmingham on Monday morning, Downing Street tried to dampen down speculation that a deal similar to Theresa May’s “Chequers” plan could be adopted, claiming it was “categorically untrue”.

There has been renewed focus on the effects of Brexit given the UK is the only G7 country still lagging behind pre-pandemic growth levels, and the chancellor, Jeremy Hunt, recently suggested that removing trade barriers would boost growth.

Senior government figures were said by the Sunday Times to be revisiting a Brexit trading arrangement offered by the EU last year, which would get rid of 80% of the checks between Great Britain and Northern Ireland and open up access to the single market.

But the move would require the UK to pledge alignment, at least temporarily, on food and agriculture standards. Doing so would be anathema to champions of a hard Brexit, including Boris Johnson’s chief negotiator David Frost, as well as MPs in the hardline European Research Group.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... le-eu-deal
Ben-Prime

Brexit

Post by Ben-Prime »

For me, the question remains what it always was: What is the UK government willing to trade -- i.e., concede in exchange for what it wants -- in a trade deal? And so far, the answer remains "Nothing and we want a pony, too." This is what I simply cannot grok.

Gupwalla

Brexit

Post by Gupwalla »

Ben-Prime wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:28 pm For me, the question remains what it always was: What is the UK government willing to trade -- i.e., concede in exchange for what it wants -- in a trade deal? And so far, the answer remains "Nothing and we want a pony, too." This is what I simply cannot grok.
Brexit is like Trumpism. Nobody ever put any rational thought or planning into it.

They just wanted to be mean to immigrants, and it never bothered their selfish nativist brains that there might be costs associated with that.
Uninformed

Brexit

Post by Uninformed »

To be fair, there was also the objection to “being told what to do” by Johnny Foreigner. Lots of Brits know we are superior in every way. :brickwallsmall:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
RTH10260

Brexit

Post by RTH10260 »

Sam the Centipede

Brexit

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Uninformed wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:10 pm To be fair, there was also the objection to “being told what to do” by Johnny Foreigner. Lots of Brits know we are superior in every way. :brickwallsmall:
I read somewhere a commentator suggesting a problem for some in the UK is that they see their country as broadly equal to the USA, striding the world stage, without appreciating that the days of that economic, political, diplomatic and military power for the UK are long in the past.

People and politicians of the smaller European countries (populations typically <10M) have a different outlook than those of the larger countries (Germany, France, UK, Spain, Italy, populations in the 60M+ range). Those in smaller countries understand the limits of their intrinsic power so they seek to shape events by discussion, persuasion and cooperation.

It's a healthier approach in these difficult times.
RTH10260

Brexit

Post by RTH10260 »

British man to be deported from Denmark under post-Brexit rules
Will Hill says he was not told of 31 December 2021 deadline for residency application and his wedding plans are now in doubt

Lisa O'Carroll Brexit correspondent
Fri 25 Nov 2022 06.00 GMT

A British man is being deported from Denmark because he did not know he had to apply to stay in the country after Brexit.

Will Hill, 37, was ordered to leave by Sunday. His application to stay, made three weeks late, had been rejected, as was an appeal to the immigration authorities.

He will return to London on Friday, leaving behind his cybersecurity career and his fiancee, Ida Bøgelund Larsen, who said the decision had left her “worried and confused and nervous”. The wedding they planned in January is now in doubt.

He said: “This wouldn’t be happening to me if it wasn’t for Brexit, because I would be treated as an EU citizen.”

Hill’s case came to light two weeks after another British national, Philip Russell, told how he too was facing deportation. Like Hill, he did not know until after the deadline he had to apply to remain in Denmark post-Brexit and was ordered to leave by 6 December on the grounds that his application was four days late.

He called on the British government to “condemn Denmark’s behaviour”. “Denmark is using the incompetence of their own immigration services as an excuse to deport UK citizens,” he said.

Liberal party EU spokesperson Mads Fuglede said the cases were a breach of the withdrawal agreement and called on the Danish immigration department, SIRI, to re-examine the cases of the estimated 290 British people who applied late for their Brexit paperwork.

He told the Politiken newspaper that the communication by SIRI to British nationals about the need to reapply for residency rights for post-Brexit life was “unsatisfactory and not working”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... exit-rules
RTH10260

Brexit

Post by RTH10260 »

Steve Baker wants to renegotiate Brexit agreement over Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland minister’s proposal comes after PM denied plans for Swiss-style relationship with EU

Lisa O'Carroll Brexit correspondent
Thu 24 Nov 2022 14.13 GMT

The Northern Ireland minister, Steve Baker, is proposing reopening the Brexit trade agreement David Frost struck with the EU as a means of fixing the problems caused by the Northern Ireland protocol.

The proposal comes after Rishi Sunak moved to quell a rebellion in the Conservative party over suggestions Downing Street was mulling a Swiss-style relationship with the EU to ease wider trade barriers on food and agricultural products.

In a confidential paper circulating in the Northern Ireland Office, Baker outlines potential ways of removing the role of the European court of justice in disputes, something both unionists and the Eurosceptic European Research Group are demanding.

The proposals essentially revisit a sequencing argument the UK lost in 2017 while the Conservative party was in disarray over whether to stay in the EU customs union and single market.

When it did not get the necessary commitment from Theresa May, the EU decided that the Northern Ireland protocol should be placed in the legally binding withdrawal agreement and not the trade deal.

In the paper Baker suggests reversing that sequencing in retrospect to end the row over the Northern Ireland protocol.

He suggests updating the trade agreement by adding a “customs cooperation chapter” and changing the protocol to include a dispute mechanism that does not involve the ECJ.

But experts say it could be an insurmountable challenge.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rn-ireland
RTH10260

Brexit

Post by RTH10260 »

Brexit blow: exports to Japan slump after ‘landmark’ free trade deal
First such accord after leaving EU was predicted to bring £15bn boost but UK now lags rivals

Jon Ungoed-Thomas and Michael Savage
Sat 26 Nov 2022 20.00 GMT

The first major free trade agreement signed by Britain after Brexit has been branded a failure after new figures showed exports had fallen since it came into force.

Liz Truss signed a “historic” deal with Japan as trade secretary in October 2020, describing it as a “landmark moment for Britain”. It was claimed it would boost trade by billions of pounds and help the UK recover from the pandemic.

However, figures collated by the Department for International Trade show exports to Japan fell from £12.3bn to £11.9bn in the year to June 2022. Exports in goods fell 4.9% to £6.1bn and services fell 2% to £5.8bn.

The decline is a significant setback for supporters of Brexit who claimed global trade with non-EU countries would help compensate for any losses from leaving the single market.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... orts-slump
RTH10260

Brexit

Post by RTH10260 »

Surprise, surprise ...
Brexit has worsened shortage of NHS doctors, analysis shows
Exclusive: More than 4,000 European medics have chosen not to work in NHS since Britain left EU, data reveals

Denis Campbell Health policy editor
Sun 27 Nov 2022 18.00 GMT

Brexit has worsened the UK’s acute shortage of doctors in key areas of care and led to more than 4,000 European doctors choosing not to work in the NHS, research reveals.

The disclosure comes as growing numbers of medics quit in disillusionment at their relentlessly busy working lives in the increasingly overstretched health service. Official figures show the NHS in England alone has vacancies for 10,582 physicians.

Britain has 4,285 fewer European doctors than if the rising numbers who were coming before the Brexit vote in 2016 had been maintained since then, according to analysis by the Nuffield Trust health thinktank which it has shared with the Guardian.

In 2021, a total of 37,035 medics from the EU and European free trade area (EFTA) were working in the UK. However, there would have been 41,320 – or 4,285 more – if the decision to leave the EU had not triggered a “slowdown” in medical recruitment from the EU and the EFTA quartet of Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Lichtenstein.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... doctors-eu
noblepa

Brexit

Post by noblepa »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:54 am
British man to be deported from Denmark under post-Brexit rules
Hell, I'm an American and even I knew that Brits living/working abroad would have to apply for visas in countries where they lived and worked.

Didn't this guy hear about Brexit? It was in all the papers.
Sam the Centipede

Brexit

noblepa wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:44 am Didn't this guy hear about Brexit? It was in all the papers.
I read the article at the time but I can't be bothered to go back. I think he was aware but something went wrong and/or be messed up the forms and the Danish authorities either couldn't or wouldn't be flexible. It's not indifference or ignorance; it's small errors having large consequences, iirc.
Ben-Prime

Brexit

Post by Ben-Prime »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:51 pm
noblepa wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:44 am Didn't this guy hear about Brexit? It was in all the papers.
I read the article at the time but I can't be bothered to go back. I think he was aware but something went wrong and/or be messed up the forms and the Danish authorities either couldn't or wouldn't be flexible. It's not indifference or ignorance; it's small errors having large consequences, iirc.
The problem is that most of the types of people who woudl live abroad from their native country are probably more inclined to be forgiving of, for example, Nigerian immigrants making similar small errors in the British immigration and visa process. The kind of folks who would send an immigrant in Britian 'back to where they came from' for being a day late and a quid short are the ones who would be less inclined to spend a few years overseas living and working in another country and then be caught out by Brexit.

So we want to be sympathetic to the victims like this because we find it unlikely that they were pro-leave voters.

RTH10260

Brexit

Post by RTH10260 »

Owen Paterson’s lawyers admit irony of his seeking ECHR’s help
Representatives of Eurosceptic insist he had been left with no option but to appeal to European court of human rights

Kiran Stacey
Mon 28 Nov 2022 21.06 GMT

Lawyers for Owen Paterson have admitted the irony of the former MP bringing a case against the UK government at the European court of human rights, despite having previously called on Britain to “break free” of the court entirely.

Representatives for Paterson, a prominent Eurosceptic Conservative who resigned last year in the midst of a lobbying scandal, issued a statement on Monday insisting he had been left with no option but to appeal to a court whose authority he had previously questioned.

Lawyers at Devonshires solicitors said in their statement: “The irony that Mr Paterson, a vocal opponent of European institutions, should be seeking the help of the ECHR, is not lost. But he has no other choice, as the government has yet to meet its promise of repatriating human rights law to Britain, hence the application to Strasbourg.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... man-rights
Sam the Centipede

Brexit

Ben-Prime wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:44 am So we want to be sympathetic to the victims like this because we find it unlikely that they were pro-leave voters.
I'm not especially sympathetic to this guy's plight; in fact I'm indifferent, Not My Problem.

We read stories of elderly RW expat Brits in Spain voting for Brexit then being horrified to discover that they are now "foreigners", subject to registration and "papers please" demands, "but… but… but… I'm British!"

The point of my comment was simply a warning that what could be an "ignorant foreigner" story can be something much more mundane rooted in the ubiquitous mire of bureaucracy.
Ben-Prime

Brexit

Post by Ben-Prime »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:38 pm
Ben-Prime wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:44 am So we want to be sympathetic to the victims like this because we find it unlikely that they were pro-leave voters.
I'm not especially sympathetic to this guy's plight; in fact I'm indifferent, Not My Problem.

We read stories of elderly RW expat Brits in Spain voting for Brexit then being horrified to discover that they are now "foreigners", subject to registration and "papers please" demands, "but… but… but… I'm British!"

The point of my comment was simply a warning that what could be an "ignorant foreigner" story can be something much more mundane rooted in the ubiquitous mire of bureaucracy.
A fair point. I was in turn simply trying to point out that this guy was more likely than not from the sound of it NOT someone surprised that the leopard ate his face after voting for the leopards-eating-faces party. I have no sympathy for the type of leave voters living abroad as you use by way of example above, not one jot, because they voted for the damn leopards.

Volkonski
Verified:

Brexit

Post by Volkonski »

The reality of Brexit is biting hard. Poor people are suffering most – and now everyone can see it

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... bate-human
Enveloped in Westminster silence it may be, but every day and in every way Brexit is getting more real. For so long, this was an argument made through the medium of abstract nouns: “freedom”, “sovereignty”, “control”. But now reality is intruding. This week came word that Brexit added almost £6bn to Britons’ food bills over a two-year period, and that it was the households with least that were affected most. There’s a reason politicians refer to “bread-and-butter issues”: because there is nothing abstract about food and what it costs.

:snippity:

Cheaper food, he said. We no longer need to rely on either the promises of one side or the projections of the other to determine whether Rees-Mogg was right or wrong about that. Instead we have hard numbers and our own eyes. This week’s research by the London School of Economics (LSE) found that, thanks not to the war in Ukraine or the pandemic or “global factors”, but explicitly to all the extra red tape incurred by Brexit, the cost of food imported from the EU added a total of £210 to the average household’s grocery bill over 2020 and 2021: a 6% increase in that period.

Because poorer families spend a larger share of what little they have on food, that £210 Brexit levy has hit them disproportionately hard. You only have to read the Guardian’s heat or eat diaries to see the impact of rising prices. “I have been stockpiling food for some time,” Londoner Sharron Spice wrote this week. “Tinned vegetables, soups, tuna, fish, corned beef … I have to rotate my tins to make sure they’re in date.”

It’s not as if there isn’t enough food to go around. An estimated 7bn meals went to waste this year, with farmers citing Brexit – and the resulting shortage of fruit and veg pickers – as a key factor. The National Farmers’ Union found some 40% of its members had lost crops because they didn’t have enough people to bring in the harvest. Those shortfalls used to be met by seasonal workers coming in from the continent, but Brexit has shut them out – and so perfectly edible food is left to rot.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260

Brexit

Post by RTH10260 »

Respect their Sovereignity!
Brexit has fuelled surge in UK food prices, says Bank of England policymaker
Britons need to be kept aware of the cost of leaving the EU, says Swati Dhingra

Richard Partington Economics correspondent
Sat 3 Dec 2022 15.55 GMT

Brexit is contributing to a surge in food prices as the country heads into recession, a senior Bank of England policymaker has warned.

Swati Dhingra – the newest member of the Bank’s monetary policy committee (MPC), which sets interest rates – also used an interview with the Observer to suggest that the coming run of central bank rate rises should peak below 4.5%, which is the level that some City investors are expecting. “The market is probably underestimating what damage that [level of interest rates] might cause to the UK economy,” she said.

Dhingra maintains that further aggressive moves to raise the cost of borrowing from the current level of 3% would risk exacerbating Britain’s economic downturn.

The MPC will make its next decision on interest rates on 15 December, after imposing eight successive rises in a year to control inflation.

Dhingra said: “That is what I think we should all be worried about … are we going to end up lengthening and deepening the recession if the tightening continues at the pace it is?”

The trade expert at the London School of Economics (LSE), who repeatedly warned about the damage arising from Brexit before joining the Bank in August, said there were clear signs leaving the EU was adding to soaring prices and weighing down the economy. People “need to be aware of what the economic cost is”, she said.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... olicymaker
RTH10260

Brexit

Post by RTH10260 »

London Is No Longer Europe’s Financial Center Because of Brexit, Euronext Boss Says
  • Listings outside of London now the ‘new normal’: Boujnah
    Comments follow Paris market cap briefly exceeding London’s
ByJoe Easton and Francine Lacqua
7 December 2022 at 12:46 CET

The boss of Europe’s largest exchange group took a swipe at the UK capital, saying Brexit means it is no longer Europe’s dominant financial center.

London used to be the largest financial center of the European Union, and everybody liked it,” Euronext NV Chief Executive Stephane Boujnah told Bloomberg Television, “Today, London is the largest financial center of the United Kingdom.”

paywall https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... al-centers
RTH10260

Brexit

Post by RTH10260 »

DS Smith to close Kent factory as it pushes ahead in Europe
Chief executive calls on UK government to align regulations with EU rules to ease trade

Oliver Telling in London
DECEMBER 8 2022

Britain’s largest packaging company will close its factory in Kent and continue to expand production in Europe, warning that a planned bonfire of EU laws risked plunging the UK into a deeper economic crisis.

Miles Roberts, chief executive of DS Smith, said the group’s international business could not continue to subsidise operations in its home country, adding it would be “extremely helpful” for manufacturers if the government aligned regulations “wherever possible” with EU rules to ease trade.

His remarks add to warnings by UK businesses against a deeper separation from the EU post-Brexit, as the government pursues plans to “review or revoke” up to 4,000 pieces of law derived from the bloc.

“The UK economy is one of the weakest places for manufacturers now. But we have more than made up for that with strong investments elsewhere,” he added. DS Smith recently opened factories in Poland and Italy, and is expanding in Germany as it continues to invest outside the UK.

https://www.ft.com/content/349072ab-b50 ... b90c195e24
RTH10260

Brexit

Post by RTH10260 »

The UK still searching for foreign workers?
Black EU citizen with settled status temporarily denied entry into UK
Dahaba Ali Hussen, who has lived in London for 19 years, stopped while trying to board Eurostar in Paris
Aina J Khan
Sat 10 Dec 2022 22.52 GMT

A black EU citizen with settled status was temporarily denied entry to the UK when she attempted to board a Eurostar train in Paris on Saturday.

Dahaba Ali Hussen, a Dutch citizen of Somali origin who has lived in London for 19 years, was on a solo holiday in France when she arrived at the Gare du Nord railway station two hours before her train was set to depart to London St Pancras.

Unable to pass the barriers for the EU queue, Hussen assumed there was a technology issue. She claims a UK Border Force officer she then approached confiscated her passport after he notified her that she would be subject to “further checks” because she had been denied settled status in the past.

Hussen claims she was handed a form that had already been filled out, with a box ticked stating she was denied reentry to the UK, and another box ticked saying she was being detained under the 1971 Immigration Act.

“I was mortified,” Hussen said. “I was stood in the middle of the train station, while everyone was checking in, crying. It felt like a horror movie.”

Hussen, 29, a journalist who has written extensively on the EU settlement scheme, has previously campaigned with organisations including the3million, which gives a voice to EU citizens in the UK.

In the past, she has been more concerned about the status of her mother, a former refugee who fled to the Netherlands during the Somali civil war in the early 1990s.

But Hussen herself has had numerous issues with her UK settled status. She was previously refused settled status to live in Britain on three separate occasions, including last year.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... ry-into-uk
RTH10260

Brexit

Post by RTH10260 »

Three-quarters of UK firms say Brexit deal has not boosted business
British Chamber of Commerce present government with urgent recommendations as members report struggling to sell into EU

Heather Stewart
Wed 21 Dec 2022 22.30 GMT

More than three-quarters of firms say the government’s post-Brexit trade deal with the EU has not helped them to expand their business in the last two years despite promises that it was an “oven-ready” deal.

A survey by the British Chambers of Commerce (BCC) has prompted the business lobby group to present the government with five urgent recommendations for enhancing the agreement, which has left many exporters struggling to sell into the EU under the current terms.

More than half (56%) of the BCC members surveyed who trade with the EU said they had experienced problems complying with new rules for exporting goods, while 45% reported issues trading in services. Overall, as many as 77% of firms trading under the deal said it had not helped them to increase sales or expand.

The BCC’s director general, Shevaun Haviland, said: “Businesses feel they are banging their heads against a brick wall as nothing has been done to help them, almost two years after the TCA [trade and cooperation agreement] was first agreed. The longer the current problems go unchecked, the more EU traders go elsewhere, and the more damage is done.”

The group’s members, the majority of which are small and medium-sized businesses, highlighted difficulties administering EU rules on VAT; inconsistent application of customs rules; and new limits on business travel.

On regulation, two-thirds of members said they would prefer to continue using the EU’s CE mark of product quality, instead of switching to the UK’s new post-Brexit equivalent, the UKCA.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... s-uk-firms
RTH10260

Brexit

Post by RTH10260 »

Brexit means no British manufacturer able to build UK government’s ministerial cars
UK carmakers ‘unable to meet the requirements’ of the Metropolitan Police protection service

Jon Stone Policy Correspondent
2 days ago

The government’s next fleet of armoured ministerial cars will be made in Germany because supply chain issues hampered by Brexit mean no British manufacturer is able to meet its requirements, The Independent has learned.

The Metropolitan Police announced over the summer that it was ditching armoured Jaguar XJs for Baden-Württemberg-assembled Audi A8s – prompting criticism.

But it has now been revealed that the decision was made because there no British car maker is “able to meet the requirements of the tender”, forcing the Met’s hand.

Last year, UK car production hit its lowest level since 1956, because of skills shortages and supply chain issues worsened by Brexit and the pandemic.

Jaguar has provided British government ministerial cars for more than three decades but its plants have had to pause production at points over the past few years due to problems obtaining parts.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 50544.html

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”