Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Media Moves

Volkonski
Verified:

Media Moves

Post by Volkonski »

Robin Meade, entire Atlanta HLN news operations nixed amid CNN layoffs

https://www.ajc.com/life/radiotvtalk-bl ... 4SBVFCG6E/
Variety reported Thursday morning that Warner Bros. Discovery has nixed the entire Atlanta-based operation at CNN Center, citing multiple unnamed sources. CNN has not responded to inquiries seeking confirmation.

Chris Licht, who runs CNN’s news operations, has announced major layoffs that began yesterday with paid contributors and will include full-time staff today.

HLN, which Ted Turner started as CNN2 and later Headline News in 1982, has morphed over the years from a quick-hit 24/7 news operation to supplement the parent CNN cable network into a mix of crime and news.

Atlanta-based morning host Robin Meade was the last key personality standing, although HLN did run weekend news programming with Susan Hendricks as well. Meade was the weekday morning host for more than 21 years, the longest running morning news anchor in TV history, recently exceeding Matt Lauer’s tenure at NBC’s “Today” show.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Media Moves

Post by Volkonski »

NPR to impose near-freeze on hiring but avoids layoffs as budget cuts loom

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/30/11398881 ... 20-million
NPR will need to cut at least $10 million from the current fiscal year ending next Sept. 30, the network's chief executive, John Lansing, announced Wednesday, due to a sharp drop in revenue from sponsors.

Lansing told staffers in a memo that he intended to avoid layoffs, but would be forced to severely curtail hiring, amounting to what he described as "close to a total hiring freeze." The network will also sharply cut back discretionary spending and non-essential travel. The $10 million cut constitutes approximately 3% of NPR's current annual budget.

"As we did during the pandemic, we are prioritizing our staff and not anticipating layoffs at this time," Lansing wrote. Yet he noted that he recognized the strain that a near-freeze on hiring would put on NPR's current journalists and their non-newsroom colleagues.

"It means we won't have the skills and support of the people who would have been in the roles that must remain vacant," Lansing wrote. "For those working long and stressful hours, that is not good news. But it is a reality we can't avoid if we are to save jobs."
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Media Moves

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Media Moves

Post by raison de arizona »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:53 pm NPR to impose near-freeze on hiring but avoids layoffs as budget cuts loom

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/30/11398881 ... 20-million
NPR will need to cut at least $10 million from the current fiscal year ending next Sept. 30, the network's chief executive, John Lansing, announced Wednesday, due to a sharp drop in revenue from sponsors.

Lansing told staffers in a memo that he intended to avoid layoffs, but would be forced to severely curtail hiring, amounting to what he described as "close to a total hiring freeze." The network will also sharply cut back discretionary spending and non-essential travel. The $10 million cut constitutes approximately 3% of NPR's current annual budget.

"As we did during the pandemic, we are prioritizing our staff and not anticipating layoffs at this time," Lansing wrote. Yet he noted that he recognized the strain that a near-freeze on hiring would put on NPR's current journalists and their non-newsroom colleagues.

"It means we won't have the skills and support of the people who would have been in the roles that must remain vacant," Lansing wrote. "For those working long and stressful hours, that is not good news. But it is a reality we can't avoid if we are to save jobs."
https://twitter.com/stu_rush/status/1602679152288620545
Stu Rushfield: #Kindness @stu_rush wrote: 🚨 My goodness. Facing budget shortfalls, @npr just announced it will cancel the Summer 2023 internship program. This makes me truly sad. I may be wrong but I don't recall this happening in my nearly 30 years. @NPRinterns are part of NPR's lifeblood & a pipeline of great talent.

NPR asked divisions to revisit discretionary spending & make cuts as needed. In my view, internship programs should not been seen as discretionary spending, but as a true investment in the future. Will NPR offer UNPAID internships for those who want (and can afford them)?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Media Moves

Post by raison de arizona »

Rachel Weiner @rachelweinerwp wrote: Rather than try to justify laying off our Pulitzer-winning dance critic — who was in the room — and insulting her and our equally-talented Magazine staff by moving to take away their severance if they even apply for another Post job, management literally walked out of a meeting.
Washington Post Guild @PostGuild wrote: We asked for humane severance for Post employees laid off during the holidays. Management left us at the bargaining table.

We summarized today's bargaining session in this thread. https://twitter.com/PostGuild/status/16 ... 5612645376
Washington Post Guild @PostGuild wrote: Today, dozens of Post Guild members came to the bargaining table to negotiate a fair severance package for our laid-off colleagues.

But instead of engaging with us, management walked out.

So much for Democracy Dies in Darkness.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Media Moves

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup: on the last sentence.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Media Moves

Post by Kendra »

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/3776 ... cfAOJEVYw4
Anchor Ana Cabrera says she will leave CNN next week.

The daytime news anchor confirmed the widely rumored news about her departure, saying her final show on CNN will be Dec. 22.
:snippity:
Cabrera, who joined CNN in 2013 and has most recently hosted an afternoon news show for the cable news giant, will likely have to wait out a noncompete period before joining a new network, the outlet noted, with MSNBC widely expected as the network that could hire her next.

Cabrera is the latest in a slew of top talent at CNN that has either left the network, been let go or sought other opportunities amid a string of changes since new President Chris Licht took over in May.

Last week, longtime defense correspondent Barbara Starr said she had made the decision to leave CNN, and other leading journalists like John Harwood and Brain Stelter have departed the network in recent months.
p0rtia

Media Moves

Post by p0rtia »

Where did Briana Keilar go?
Kendra

Media Moves

Post by Kendra »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:23 am Where did Briana Keilar go?
They took her off the morning show, but I have seen her pop up here and there as guest host when the main host has the day off.

Barbara Starr (Pentagon reporter) apparently had her last day yesterday, it's not clear if she left of her own choice or management's choice (if anyone knows, please post here). John King (Inside Politics) and Worf Blitzer both gave her sentimental thanks for your years of great reporting emotional send offs yesterday.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Media Moves

Post by AndyinPA »

I had been wondering the same thing. I knew she wasn't on the morning show anymore. I think for a bit she was on at 4 in the afternoon, but I don't think that lasted long. Maybe she was just subbing. I just checked on the Internet the other day, so I know she's still with CNN, but it wasn't obvious where. I'm a big fan, too.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
New Turtle

Media Moves

Post by New Turtle »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:37 am
I had been wondering the same thing. I knew she wasn't on the morning show anymore. I think for a bit she was on at 4 in the afternoon, but I don't think that lasted long. Maybe she was just subbing. I just checked on the Internet the other day, so I know she's still with CNN, but it wasn't obvious where. I'm a big fan, too.
On leave with the COVID.

nvm that was a year ago
Kendra

Media Moves

Post by Kendra »

https://news.yahoo.com/cnn-ending-life- ... 47992.html
CNN is ending 'This Is Life With Lisa Ling,' a casualty of budget cuts
I rarely watched the show, didn't realize it was going away until she came on CNN and said tonight was her last episode.
Kendra

Media Moves

Post by Kendra »

She's currently sitting front and center on The Situation Room.
p0rtia

Media Moves

Post by p0rtia »

Kendra wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:17 pm
Thanks!
Kendra

Media Moves

Post by Kendra »

p0rtia wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:48 pm
Thanks!

She's at the anchor desk again, Wolf is off.
p0rtia

Media Moves

Post by p0rtia »

Kendra wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:01 pm
p0rtia wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:48 pm

Thanks!

She's at the anchor desk again, Wolf is off.
I caught a bit last night. She was good. Much better than the morning show; she is just too serious for that.
Kendra

Media Moves

Post by Kendra »

Ugh, no Deadline WH today (even with Heilman standing in for Nicolle). Extra hour or two with Ari Melber.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Media Moves

Post by AndyinPA »

Kendra wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:05 pm Ugh, no Deadline WH today (even with Heilman standing in for Nicolle). Extra hour or two with Ari Melber.
They seem to be in Christmas programming already.
Kendra

Media Moves

Post by Kendra »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:39 pm
Kendra wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:05 pm Ugh, no Deadline WH today (even with Heilman standing in for Nicolle). Extra hour or two with Ari Melber.
Yep.
p0rtia

Media Moves

Post by p0rtia »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:39 pm
Not that bad (yet)! Don't like Ari, but it's all new material, going over the Jan 6 report. David Corn, Michael Moore, etc.
Kendra

Media Moves

Post by Kendra »

I anchored on
@MSNBC
for the first time ever today. And I was honored as part of that to interview
@Nelba_MG
, a licensed therapist who lost her daughter Ana Grace in the Sandy Hook shooting, about how people can both face their grief and have hope as we enter a new year. 👇🏾
Kendra

Media Moves

Post by Kendra »

Adam Kinzinger has joined CNN as a political commentator.
p0rtia

Media Moves

Post by p0rtia »

MSNBC has announced that Boebert will be on Stephanie Ruhle's show, I think tonight.

The news is not being received well on SM.

I personally think it's horrific, for the obvious reasons.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Media Moves

Post by AndyinPA »

I like Stephanie, but she's not a great interviewer, and she will get run over by Bobo.
p0rtia

Media Moves

Post by p0rtia »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:42 pm I like Stephanie, but she's not a great interviewer, and she will get run over by Bobo.
Agreed (you can't debate a lying ignoramus). I go hot and cold w Ruhle. She speaks bluntly about the crisis the country is in--but at the drop of a hat she will play Both Sides Do it in what I think is an obvious attempt to be "fair." Hate that.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”