Jacob Wohl

These people are weird, but we like to find out what weird people are doing and thinking. It's a hobby.
bob

Jacob Wohl

Post by bob »

noblepa wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:31 am The article I read about Wohl's sentence said that he has been charged in New York for the same calls.

If true, can he argue double jeopardy, if he is being charged twice for the same acts?

I would presume that NY is after him because he violated their laws about voter suppression. I know that the courts have held that being charged under federal law for the same act that one is convicted of under state law, does not constitute double jeopardy. Would the same rationale apply to two states charging someone for the same act?
I would generally say different sovereigns and different acts: each state can police separate crimes that occurred in separate jurisdictions.

But I acknowledge New York's Double Jeopardy law may be .... different.

Image ImageImage
Gregg

Jacob Wohl

Post by Gregg »

noblepa wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:31 am The article I read about Wohl's sentence said that he has been charged in New York for the same calls.

If true, can he argue double jeopardy, if he is being charged twice for the same acts?

I would presume that NY is after him because he violated their laws about voter suppression. I know that the courts have held that being charged under federal law for the same act that one is convicted of under state law, does not constitute double jeopardy. Would the same rationale apply to two states charging someone for the same act?
No, I wouldn't think so.

He was charged in Ohio only for the calls that went to people in Ohio, and charging him in New York is for the calls made to people there. It's no different than charging someone for the banks they robbed in both states is it?

Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.

Return to “Other weirdos”