Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Suranis

King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Post by Suranis »

Hardly. Megan is such a publicity hound she knew the answer months before.
Hic sunt dracones
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:04 am
Suranis wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:41 am The problem is that people in England and Ireland ask everyone "Where are you from?" as a matter of course when meeting people. Saying it adds on a sinister meaning when said to Black people is a bit of a stretch, to but it mildly.
I think this is a matter of repetition and experience. "Where are you from" asked once is curiosity, perhaps courteous conversation. Touching another person's hair to move it so you can see a name tag clearly ups the ante a bit. Refusing to accept the answer given and asking yet again "Where are you from" communicates that you are not "one of us so explain yourself".
:snippity:
The moving of someone else's hair like that is rude in almost all circumstances, a violation of social spacing rules. It is even more so for some/many Black women, where hair often carries more symbolic importance than for a lot of non-Blacks. It must have set Ms Fulani's nerves on edge. Perhaps for those of us without such hair, imagining one's backside being pinched unexpectedly would be a similar level of offensiveness?

I have seen on Twitter many apologists saying that the dismissal/resignation an over-reaction and that the poor old dear shouldn't have lost her position. Others saying "she's definitely not a racist". Of course, it being Twitter, victim-blaming too, alleging that Ms Fulani looks for prejudice and confrontation (of course without supporting that).

Some pointing out that asking "where are you from?" is often either polite curiosity or an attempted icebreaker (as Suranis notes) and entirely innocent. But the conversation as reported (and not contested) had more than a hint of an interrogation with a racist streak. The question can be innocent; that question and its follow-up were not.

Others of course taking the opposite view, for example, asking (ironically) at what age they too can get their free racist license! Also pointing out that the Windsors and their staff have a history its racism problems. Indeed, I think in the chit-chat about the incoming king it was mentioned that one of the many privileges and exemptions of the royal household is from racism and discrimination legislation (or some of it).

As the lady-in-waiting (or whatever the term is) is over 80 years old and it's an unpaid position, I don't think dropping her from the team is exactly ruining her life.

One side-effect for Charles Windsor is that this sort of poor treatment of non-white people doesn't look good coming from the household of the Head of the Commonwealth. The HotC role is not hereditary; the Commonwealth might decide that perhaps they should look elsewhere.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:51 am
Suranis wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:41 am The problem is that people in England and Ireland ask everyone "Where are you from?" as a matter of course when meeting people. Saying it adds on a sinister meaning when said to Black people is a bit of a stretch, to but it mildly.
The problem occurs when the person of color answers with the name of their British hometown and the person asking doesn’t accept that answer. Instead they continue with, no, what country are you from. When the reply is that they were born here and they are a British citizen, that’s still not enough. That’s what happened in this most recent incident.
Yeah that. If I say Islington that's the end of the discussion, or at most "Oh, my sister lives in Islington". Not the same for some people.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:04 am :snippity: The Lady in Waiting acted like an ignorant, entitled person who needs some training in communications.
She is an 83 year old woman who is a personal friend of the King of England, she's probably been more than a little entitled for a long while and no amount of training she will live to complete is going to change her much.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:yeahthat:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
somerset

Post by somerset »

Suranis wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:41 am The problem is that people in England and Ireland ask everyone "Where are you from?" as a matter of course when meeting people. Saying it adds on a sinister meaning when said to Black people is a bit of a stretch, to put it mildly.
Not really:
Lady SH: Where are you from?

Me: Sistah Space.

SH: No, where do you come from?

Me: We're based in Hackney.

SH: No, what part of Africa are you from?

Me: I don't know, they didn't leave any records.

SH: Well, you must know where you're from, I spent time in France. Where are you from?

Me: Here, the UK.

SH: No, but what nationality are you?

Me: I am born here and am British.

SH: No, but where do you really come from, where do your people come from?

Me: 'My people', lady, what is this?

SH: Oh I can see I am going to have a challenge getting you to say where you're from. When did you first come here?

Me: Lady! I am a British national, my parents came here in the 50s when...

SH: Oh, I knew we'd get there in the end, you're Caribbean!

Me: No lady, I am of African heritage, Caribbean descent and British nationality.

SH: Oh so you're from...
Ingrained racism is like an American accent. Those who have it may insist it doesn't exist, but once you've heard it, it's unmistakable.
Sam the Centipede

The number of people on Twitter and elsewhere excusing Lady Hussey's racism on grounds of her age has been depressing. Isn't it ageist to assume that racism goes with old age? What about her other factors predisposing to racism: wealth, title, privilege, whiteness? Are they mitigation too? When and how does one qualify for a Racism Permit?

83 years old means she is old enough to know better. It's not as though racism became unacceptable only a few years ago; she's had decades of living in a world where that behavior was not proper. And she and her royal masters have had plenty of time to implement appropriate awareness and education.

Nobody has (afaik) questioned the general accuracy of the report quoted above by Somerset. Lady Hussey ruined Ms. Fulani's day of joy with her unwarranted nastiness. Shame on her.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

I suppose her age could be the explanation for saying the quiet part out loud.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I would myself say it's probably more a question of station than age. There are plenty of people in their 80's who aren't racists.

Sam the Centipede

Gregg wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:50 am I would myself say it's probably more a question of station than age. There are plenty of people in their 80's who aren't racists.
Exactly. One could imagine the condescension – almost "answer my young woman and don't be impertinent!" – without the racist theme.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Ngozi Fulani tells of ‘horrific abuse’ after Buckingham Palace racism incident
Charity boss talks of very difficult time for her charity Sistah Space since encounter with Susan Hussey

Joe Middleton and agencies
Mon 5 Dec 2022 23.19 GMT

A black British charity leader who was asked where she “really came from” by the late queen’s senior lady-in-waiting at a Buckingham Palace royal reception has said she has suffered “horrific abuse” on social media.

Ngozi Fulani, founder of the charity Sistah Space, said Susan Hussey moved her hair so she could see her name badge and then subjected her to what felt “like an interrogation” about where her “people” came from.

In a statement issued on Monday, Fulani said: “The last week has been an extremely difficult time for us all at Sistah Space. My team, family and I have been put under immense pressure and received some horrific abuse via social media. Yet throughout this time I have been heartened by the huge amount of support we have received.

“I want to thank everyone for that, and it has shown me that love will always triumph over hate.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... m-incident
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

First coinage featuring King Charles III released
Nearly 5m 50p coins will enter circulation across 9,452 Post Office branches throughout December

Caroline Davies
Thu 8 Dec 2022 00.01 GMT

The first coinage featuring King Charles III will appear on the 50p coin in circulation in post offices around the UK from Thursday.

Created by sculptor Martin Jennings and personally approved by Charles, the king’s portrait faces to the left, in the opposite direction to the late Queen.

The reverse of the 50p features a design that originally appeared on the 1953 Coronation Crown, and struck to commemorate the Queen’s coronation at Westminster Abbey.

It includes the four quarters of the Royal Arms depicted within a shield, and between each shield an emblem of the home nations: a rose, a thistle, a shamrock and a leek.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... i-released
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... i-apology/
A prominent British royal aide who resigned from her role at Buckingham Palace after asking a Black British charity director where she was “really from” has met with the activist to apologize and pledged to learn from the incident, according to a joint announcement released on Friday.
Are you on Telegram? Subscribe to our channel for the latest updates on Russia’s war in Ukraine.

Lady Susan Hussey, 83, who was a long-standing lady-in-waiting to Queen Elizabeth II and godmother to royal heir Prince William, met with Ngozi Fulani, a British activist and chief executive of domestic abuse charity Sistah Space, on Friday at Buckingham Palace, where she apologized.

Hussey “pledged to deepen her awareness of the sensitivities involved and is grateful for the opportunity to learn more about the issues in this area,” according to the statement, which noted that Fulani had “unfairly received the most appalling torrent of abuse on social media and elsewhere.” Fulani accepted the apology and said “that no malice was intended.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

King Charles III bank note designs revealed by Bank of England
Monarch’s portrait on £5, £10, £20 and £50 likely to enter circulation in 2024

Richard Partington Economics correspondent
Tue 20 Dec 2022 00.01 GMT

Designs for bank notes featuring an image of King Charles III have been revealed by the Bank of England, with plans to enter circulation by mid-2024.

Announcing the design for the first time in the run-up to the coronation in May, the UK central bank said the king’s portrait would appear on existing designs of all four of its polymer bank notes currently in circulation – £5, £10, £20 and £50.

The king’s image will appear on the front of the bank notes, as well as in the see-through security window on the notes, which are made from polymer plastic. Notes featuring Queen Elizabeth II will also continue to remain legal tender, allowing the public to carry on using them as normal.

Threadneedle Street said plans had been made in line with guidance from the royal household to minimise the environmental and financial impact of the change by only printing new notes to replace worn bank notes, and to meet any overall increase in demand for the currency.

This will mean notes featuring Queen Elizabeth II and King Charles III will “co-circulate”, it said.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... of-england
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

cause this popped up in the YT suggestions
Prince Charles Investiture - BBC Coverage, July 1st 1969

MrSteve
14 Nov 2016

Prince Charles Investiture - July 1st 1969. Edited BBC Coverage of the event which was held in Caernarfon, North Wales.
Presented by Richard Baker, Cliff Michelmore & Emlyn Williams.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

same iincludes an interview
Prince Charles: Investiture of the Prince of Wales aka POW (1969) | British Pathé

British Pathé
13 Apr 2014

A very young Prince Charles does a brief introduction before the remarkable archive footage of his investiture ceremony at Carnarvon Castle, Wales in 1969.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I remember when I was watching the Crown and they were doing that scene thinking that they Queen's couldn't possibly be as ugly in real life as it was on the show, but I was wrong. That is quite simply one of the ugliest hats I've ever seen.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Speaking of the crown. It was written by Pierce Morgan. people have been complaining for years that most of it is made up and filled with nasty lies, and the real stuff is in the wrong order. Mow people who are still alive who participated in these events are staring to shout REALLY LOUDLY that the whole thing is made up and maliciously made up to boot. People like John Major and Tony Blair. And so the ratings for the Crown have gone through the floor over here.

I tried to tell my mother this, and she basically accused me of lying. Even when I showed her the article in Private Eye which talked about it and detailed some of the lies in the show.

Piers Morgan is complete scum.
Hic sunt dracones
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

https://people.com/royals/prince-charle ... years-ago/

I remembered that the coronet was made specifically for Charles (with his input), but didn't remember *why* he needed a new one.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Suranis wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:24 am Speaking of the crown. It was written by Pierce Morgan. :snippity:
Piers Morgan is complete scum.
I don't disagree about Piers Morgan, but the principal writer for The Crown is someone else, Peter Morgan. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Morgan

I enjoyed a few early episodes of the Crown, but lost interest somewhere in the 1950s, in part because of the series' liberties with history.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

chancery wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:08 pm I don't disagree about Piers Morgan, but the principal writer for The Crown is someone else, Peter Morgan. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Morgan
ya you're right. He is no relation to moron. I just saw P and Morgan and my eyes filled with red mist.
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

King Charles chooses chapel at Windsor for first Christmas message
Monarch expected to pay tribute to late mother during festive address from St George’s chapel

Caroline Davies
Fri 23 Dec 2022 22.00 GMT

King Charles has chosen to broadcast his first Christmas message from St George’s chapel at Windsor Castle, where the committal service of his late mother, Queen Elizabeth, was held three months ago.

In a photograph released before the broadcast on Christmas Day, the king is seen standing in the quire for his inaugural festive address to the country and the rest of the Commonwealth.

No details about what he will say in his message have been released, but he is expected to pay personal tribute to his mother, who is laid to rest in the George VI memorial chapel within St George’s, alongside the Duke of Edinburgh.

It was recorded on 13 December, two days before the release of the final three episodes of the controversial Netflix Harry & Meghan documentary series in which the Duke and Duchess of Sussex attacked the royal family and the institution of the monarchy.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... as-message
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

opinion piece
King Charles’s speech left Tories squirming: he preached the values they’ve abandoned
Lauding public sector and voluntary workers, he evoked the compassionate conservatism the government has expunged from its ranks and rhetoric

Stephen Bates
Mon 26 Dec 2022 13.17 GMT

Do people still rise out of their Christmas Day torpor to listen to the monarch’s message to the nation at 3pm? It used to be the one immutable point of the day: the only time in the year when the Queen – and it was always the Queen in living memory – spoke directly to the nation in her own words, unscripted by ministers. Yet its familiarity and – let’s face it – frequent vacuousness make it feel less relevant or significant to many these days.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... nservatism
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:doh:
Queen's former chaplain warns 'multicultural, multifaith' King Charles III threatens British monarchy

Jon Brown
Tue, December 27, 2022 at 10:00 PM GMT+1

The former chaplain to Queen Elizabeth II warned that the multifaith multiculturalism of King Charles III threatens to destroy his own house and put an end to the British monarchy.

"I think that if this slow movement into multiculturalism and multifaith goes on, we'll lose the monarchy, because in the end, I don't think it will be true to itself," Gavin Ashenden, who served as chaplain to the queen from 2008 to 2017, told British outlet GB News on Sunday.

Ashenden made his comments in response to the king's first Royal Christmas Message since assuming the throne upon the death of his mother in September.

"The problem is that it's a bit like watching a wonderful ship that's hulled beneath the waterline slowly sink, and at some point what you want to do is to stop it sinking and make sure that it floats," Ashenden said. "And I don't think the monarchy can float if it becomes a multicultural, multifaith monarchy."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/queens-forme ... 57346.html
(original: Fox News)
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:o :lol:
King Charles’ Coronation Could Reportedly Be Invalidated Due To His Affair With Camilla, According To A Royal Expert

Maria Pierides
Sat, January 7, 2023 at 3:30 PM GMT+1

Prince Harry is in the spotlight right now due to all the bombshells from his memoir Spare, but the other royals aren’t completely out of the woods either! King Charles is still making headlines, as insiders are reportedly hinting that his coronation could be invalidated due to his past affair with Camilla – and we have so many questions!

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/king-ch ... 23489.html
(original Celebrity SheFinds)

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”