Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

2022 Georgia Senate Race

Kendra

2022 Georgia Senate Race

Post by Kendra »

NEW: In a campaign speech this year, Herschel Walker told a gathering of college Republicans he lives in Texas and decided to run from his TX home. A review by us also found he repeatedly did campaign interviews from his TX home.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

2022 Georgia Senate Race

Post by Frater I*I »

Kendra wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:50 pm
NEW: In a campaign speech this year, Herschel Walker told a gathering of college Republicans he lives in Texas and decided to run from his TX home. A review by us also found he repeatedly did campaign interviews from his TX home.
I mentioned in our Virtual Meetup tonight that for some strange reason Warnock has not been pointing out that Walker is a carpet bagger, having last lived in GA when he was playing for UGA...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

2022 Georgia Senate Race

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

2022 Georgia Senate Race

Post by RTH10260 »

Complaint accuses Herschel Walker of committing voter fraud over Texas tax credit

Chanelle Chandler·Reporter
Tue, November 29, 2022 at 9:55 PM

A complaint filed Sunday with the Georgia Bureau of Investigations and the state attorney general is calling for an investigation into whether Republican Senate candidate Herschel Walker committed a felony by voting in Georgia elections while claiming a homestead exemption for a home he owns in Texas.

The complaint, written by Georgia resident Ann Gregory Roberts, states that “it appears that Walker was not a resident of Georgia for voting purposes when he registered to vote and voted. Any person who votes, or registers to vote, knowing that he or she is not eligible to do so is guilty of a felony.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/complaint-ac ... 55080.html
RTH10260

2022 Georgia Senate Race

Post by RTH10260 »

Kimmel Trashes Herschel Walker’s Runoff Campaign: Spent More Time With Ted Cruz ‘Than He Spent With All His Children’ (Video)

Aarohi Sheth
Wed, November 30, 2022 at 4:41 PM

In light of the Georgia Senate runoff election, which is less than a week away, late night host Jimmy Kimmel brought audiences updates on Republican candidate Herschel Walker’s comical campaign strategy Tuesday.

Walker has been pulling out all the stops, including visits from senators Ted Cruz and Lindsey Graham in almost every appearance.

Kimmel joked that the two Republican senators “have spent more time with him than he spent with all his children combined” before playing a montage of the senators campaigning with the politician, begging Americans to vote for him and a video of Graham doing pushups, chanting “Team Herschel,” as Walker counts.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/kim ... 32462.html
(original TheWrap)
RTH10260

2022 Georgia Senate Race

Post by RTH10260 »

Herschel Walker Only Recently Stopped Renting Out Georgia Home He Claims as His Residence
Records show the Senate hopeful—who’s facing fresh questions about his Georgia residency—rented out his Atlanta home just before launching his campaign.

Roger Sollenberger Political Reporter
Updated Nov. 29, 2022 9:23AM ET / Published Nov. 28, 2022 8:09PM ET

When he launched his campaign for U.S. Senate in Georgia, Herschel Walker claimed his deep roots in the state didn’t end with his days as a football legend at the University of Georgia.

It was widely known at the time that the Republican hopeful had been living in Texas for decades, though he has claimed to maintain a residence in Atlanta for “17 years.” Less widely known, however, was that Walker’s wife collected tens of thousands of dollars in rental income for that residence, according to his 2021 financial disclosure forms.

The house doubled as the Walker campaign’s first official address when he launched his bid in August 2021. Fulton County tax and property records show the home is solely owned by Walker’s wife, Julie Blanchard, who also collected rental income from 2020 and 2021 ranging from $15,000 to $50,000, according to the disclosure—defining the asset as “Georgia residence.”

Blanchard’s company also received a previously unreported $49,997 in COVID relief loans over that same period, at Walker’s Texas address, according to federal data. On one since-revised financial disclosure, Walker claimed the company had generated rental income for Blanchard, suggesting the company had an operational stake in the Atlanta property.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/republica ... orgia-home
(original Daily Beast)
Danraft

2022 Georgia Senate Race

Post by Danraft »

Ok, I haven’t ever made a poll and that might be fun, but I am putting my guess out there for the percentage vote.

I don’t have any doubt Warnock will win— the question is by what margin. I predict (perhaps wrongly) that Warnock will get over 60% of the vote.

In other words, I predict it will be a blowout.
Here is something to support that view…
GeorgiaEarlyVoting
GeorgiaEarlyVoting
708388ED-F783-4167-AF41-F013A539116B.jpeg (382.34 KiB) Viewed 479 times
MN-Skeptic

2022 Georgia Senate Race

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I commented about Oz in Pennsylvania, and I’ll make the same comment about Walker in Georgia. If you declare yourself a resident of those states, you darn well better be filing a state income tax return as a resident too. That would would be a shock for Walker since Texas does not impose individual income taxes.
Dr. Ken

2022 Georgia Senate Race

Post by Dr. Ken »

Another day, another woman
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

2022 Georgia Senate Race

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Let's appoint MN-Skeptic as the Fogbow Special Investigator of OZ 's and Walker's Tax Returns. We can find out where they REALLY live! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260

2022 Georgia Senate Race

Post by RTH10260 »

"They send us only the best" :blackeye:
Azastan
Verified:

2022 Georgia Senate Race

Post by Azastan »

I'd be doing some talking about how chummy a certain TEXAS senator is with one of that senator's CONSTITUENTS who happens to be running for a position as senator in a state where said Texas senator's CONSTITUENT does not actually reside.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

2022 Georgia Senate Race

Post by raison de arizona »

If elected, can we consider Walker Texas' third Senator?

Narrator: Walker is not going to be elected.

That said, been hearing on RWNJ radio for the RWNJs to turn out and vote early for Walker. They have various BS reason they use to say hold yer nose and do it, even though it is against democracy to vote early. I think part of it though may be that they want to get ahead of all the crap coming out about Walker and get those votes on the books before folks have time to reconsider in disgust.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
noblepa

2022 Georgia Senate Race

Post by noblepa »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:34 am I commented about Oz in Pennsylvania, and I’ll make the same comment about Walker in Georgia. If you declare yourself a resident of those states, you darn well better be filing a state income tax return as a resident too. That would would be a shock for Walker since Texas does not impose individual income taxes.
The question of residency is not quite as simple as some think. Walker's situation demonstrates this.

The Constitution requires that a Senator be an inhabitant of the state which they represent. But how do you legally define inhabitant?

Paying state income taxes does not prove residence. I can easily have income from multiple states and therefore be required to pay income tax in two or more states. I used to work for a large accounting firm, with clients in at least 35 states. At that time, it was a simple partnership (even though they had over 1,000 partners), and, since there is no such thing as retained earnings in a partnership, the partners had to file and pay income tax in about 30 states (some didn't have income tax). Conversely, as has been pointed out, not all states have income tax.

Owning a house doesn't prove residency. There are many people, especially those wealthy enough to run for national office, who own homes in more than one state.

This question came up when Dick Cheney first ran for VP. He was, by most reasonable measures, a resident of Texas, but he had a vacation home in Colorado. The Constitution says the presidential electors must vote for a president and a vice president, at least one of which may not be a resident of the same state as the elector. That means that, at least IMHO, that W and Cheney could not have received all the electoral votes from Texas. But a federal court ruled that, even though Cheney spent most of his time in Texas, he could claim the Colorado home as his principle residence.

I think that a reasonable rule might involve voter registration. For purposes of running for office, one is considered a resident of the state in which they were registered for the most recent general election. AFAIK, all states have laws prohibiting voters from being registered, or at least voting in more than one state. IOW if I move from PA to OH, and forget to tell the Board of Election that I no longer live there, it would be possible for me to vote in both states, which almost certainly violates the law in both PA and OH.

Since one can be legally registered to vote in only one state, that seems to me to be a reasonable conclusion that that is the state that one considers "home".
bob

2022 Georgia Senate Race

Post by bob »

Colorado Wyoming.

But, yeah: "He's a carpetbagger" are better as political arguments, and not legal ones.

Nudge me if Warnock files something.
Image ImageImage
Azastan
Verified:

2022 Georgia Senate Race

Post by Azastan »

Since one can be legally registered to vote in only one state, that seems to me to be a reasonable conclusion that that is the state that one considers "home".
Walker himself apparently considers Texas to be "home".
noblepa

2022 Georgia Senate Race

Post by noblepa »

bob wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:43 pm Colorado Wyoming.
Oops. Thanks for correcting me.

But I am dead serious about defining residency as where you last voted. I can't think of any other thing that would be a more unequivocal statement of residency.

OTOH, I imagine that an argument could be made that this would impose a condition of qualification for office that is not explicitly stated in the Constitution, sort of like the arguments against term limits.

To me, the counter to that argument is that residency has always been a requirement and IS explicitly mentioned by the framers. My suggestion would merely clarify the definition of residency.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

2022 Georgia Senate Race

Post by Ben-Prime »

Azastan wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:56 pm

Walker himself apparently considers Texas to be "home".
Indeed, this is one where the so-called "totality of the circumstances" make you go :fingerwag:

Walker voted in Georgia. But has openly declared Texas his home, and gets a homestead exemption there. As far as Texas is concerned, if he's not a Texas resident, he's breaking the law there. And if he *is* a Texas resident, he's breaking the law in Georgia by voting there.

It's a :pickle:
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Azastan
Verified:

2022 Georgia Senate Race

Post by Azastan »

Where would someone who has never voted register?
RTH10260

2022 Georgia Senate Race

Post by RTH10260 »

In Georgia, Walker's Pace in the Finish Worries Republican Allies

Maya King
Thu, December 1, 2022 at 2:09 PM

ATLANTA — Herschel Walker was being swamped by negative television ads. His Democratic opponents were preparing to flood the polls for early voting as soon as doors opened. After being hit by fresh allegations of carpetbagging, he was left with just over a week to make his final appeals to voters in the runoff for Georgia’s Senate seat.

But for five days, Walker was off the campaign trail.

The decision to skip campaigning over the crucial Thanksgiving holiday weekend has Walker’s Republican allies airing frustrations and concerns about his campaign strategy in the final stretch of the overtime election against Sen. Raphael Warnock.

Democrats, they point out, have gotten a head start on Republicans in their early-voting push and are drowning out the GOP on the airwaves — outspending them 2-to-1. With less than a week to go, time is running out fast for Walker to make inroads with the moderate conservatives who did not support him during the general election.

“We almost need a little bit more time for Herschel’s campaign to get everything off the ground,” said Jason Shepherd, the former chair of the Cobb County Republican Party, pointing to the transition from a general election campaign to a runoff sprint. Notably, the runoff campaign was cut from nine weeks to four by a Republican-backed law passed last year.

“I think we’re behind the eight ball on this one,” Shepherd added.

Shepherd said Walker’s decision not to campaign during Thanksgiving was just one troubling choice. He also pointed to a series of mailers sent by the Georgia Republican Party encouraging voters to find their polling places that contained broken QR codes as examples of poor organizing. And he raised concern about the steady stream of advertisements supporting Warnock, a first-term senator and pastor, on conservative talk radio and contemporary Christian stations.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/georgia-walk ... 10337.html
(original New York Times)
RTH10260

2022 Georgia Senate Race

Post by RTH10260 »

'Ridiculous': How a viral Warnock ad used Walker's own words against him

Marquise Francis·National Reporter
Thu, December 1, 2022 at 5:40 PM

ATLANTA – Sen. Raphael Warnock, D-Ga., is out with a viral new ad that allows his opponent, Republican Herschel Walker, to do the talking.

In the roughly two-minute spot, Georgia residents took turns watching clips of the former football star and responded in real time to Walker talking about werewolves killing vampires, amorous bulls and trying to distinguish “good air” and “bad air” as it relates to China.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ridiculous-h ... 05396.html
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

2022 Georgia Senate Race

Post by raison de arizona »

Yes, this man has the judgment to serve as one of our one hundred Senators. He _still_ doesn't grok it.
No Lie with Brian Tyler Cohen @NoLieWithBTC wrote: Here is Herschel Walker talking about how he played Russian roulette by holding a gun to his head because he “loves competition.”
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

2022 Georgia Senate Race

Post by neonzx »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:15 pm Yes, this man has the judgment to serve as one of our one hundred Senators. He _still_ doesn't grok it.
No Lie with Brian Tyler Cohen @NoLieWithBTC wrote: Here is Herschel Walker talking about how he played Russian roulette by holding a gun to his head because he “loves competition.”
He played Russian Roulette alone with a gun. By himself -- that's not even how it's played in the movies.

Yeah, he's got my vote. What a FIGHTER! :thumbsup:
p0rtia

2022 Georgia Senate Race

Post by p0rtia »

Residency, a la Florida. Otherwise known as Primary Residency. Physically live in the state for more than six months of the year (declaration of domicile); either register to vote and have a Florida driver's license, or have a state-issued non-drivers ID.
RTH10260

2022 Georgia Senate Race

Post by RTH10260 »

GOP Georgia Lieutenant Governor Says He Didn’t Vote for Walker in Runoff

Brittany Bernstein
Thu, December 1, 2022 at 4:30 PM

Georgia’s Republican lieutenant governor said he could not vote for Republican Herschel Walker or Democratic Senator Raphael Warnock in the state’s Senate runoff, saying it was “the most disappointing ballot” he’s seen in his time as voter.

“I showed up to vote this morning,” lieutenant governor Geoff Duncan said during an appearance on CNN on Wednesday. “I was one of those folks who got in line and spent about an hour waiting, and it was the most disappointing ballot I’ve ever stared at in my entire life since I started voting.”

He added: “I had two candidates that I just couldn’t find anything that made sense for me to put my vote behind, and so I walked out of that ballot box showing up to vote but not voting for either one of them.”

https://news.yahoo.com/gop-georgia-lieu ... 57483.html
(original National Review)

Return to “U.S. Senate”