Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

What are you watching?

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

mojosapien wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:12 pmBlack Moses
Yo, mojosapien .

This thread is for TV and movie reviews. I'm not sure why you have been trashing random threads the last couple days. Are you okay?

I have bad days sometimes too, and then I realize I've been a jerk, axe the offensive content, and offer mea culpa to our dear readers and hope that I do not get shunned.

:oldlady:
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by mojosapien »

Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

You know, Foggy has a special place to put people. It's kinda a bit of a fun zone. You may enjoy it.
mojosapien
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by mojosapien »

jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

What are you watching?

Post by jez »

I've just finished binging Wednesday on Netflix. I'm not a Burton fan. As much as I like the absurd, his stuff is usually a bit much.

But this, I liked. Good pacing, interesting premise. I didn't care much for the actor playing Gomez, but nobody will ever replace Raul Julia in my heart.

Catherine Zeta-Jones was a decent Morticia.

Really liked Jenna Ortega as Wednesday. She did a fabulous job and was a wonderful successor to Ricci, who is also in the show.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

jez wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:35 pm I've just finished binging Wednesday on Netflix. I'm not a Burton fan. As much as I like the absurd, his stuff is usually a bit much.
I've given Wednesday a chance but it felt targeted at a teen/young adult audience. Maybe I'm feeling my age. I will probably revisit the show.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

What are you watching?

Post by jez »

neonzx wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:39 pm
jez wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:35 pm I've just finished binging Wednesday on Netflix. I'm not a Burton fan. As much as I like the absurd, his stuff is usually a bit much.
I've given Wednesday a chance but it felt targeted at a teen/young adult audience. Maybe I'm feeling my age. I will probably revisit the show.
It is definitely a bit on the young side, but I still likes it. Teenage Angst with a nihilist flavor. What is not to love?
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

jez wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:43 pm
neonzx wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:39 pm
It is definitely a bit on the young side, but I still likes it. Teenage Angst with a nihilist flavor. What is not to love?
Yeah I can do the younger themed shows. But I have to be in mood. It's actually a well done show and I am only 2 episodes in.

Is the dung slinger gone from the threads yet? Really aggravating since I don't ban/mute anyone.
Edit: Nope. They are still here.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

What are you watching?

Post by Ben-Prime »

But this, I liked. Good pacing, interesting premise. I didn't care much for the actor playing Gomez, but nobody will ever replace Raul Julia in my heart.

Catherine Zeta-Jones was a decent Morticia.

Really liked Jenna Ortega as Wednesday. She did a fabulous job and was a wonderful successor to Ricci, who is also in the show.
Had a similar reaction to Guzman as Gomez. Not because of Julia, but because I felt a) there was no way short of a lab accident that the actor they had playing young Gomez grew up to be older Gomez, and b) Gomez's oleaginous charm requires a certain smooth look -- not necessarily handsome, but ... smooth. Guzman is not that.

Otherwise, count me in as supporting all of the above comments.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
pipistrelle

What are you watching?

Post by pipistrelle »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:07 am
Had a similar reaction to Guzman as Gomez. Not because of Julia, but because I felt a) there was no way short of a lab accident that the actor they had playing young Gomez grew up to be older Gomez, and b) Gomez's oleaginous charm requires a certain smooth look -- not necessarily handsome, but ... smooth. Guzman is not that.
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

neonzx wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:06 pm Netflix: Pepsi, Where's My Jet?

It's a documentary done in 4 episodes. I actually don't recall this incident from the 1990s -- Pepsi promotion that offered premiums for collecting points... typical gear (hats, shirts, jackets, etc) but included a top prize of a Harrier Jet
► Show Spoiler
for 7,000,000 Pepsi points. And apparently legal didn't review and insert fine print on the TV commercial. Ooops. :biggrin:

It's well produced and pretty funny. On E2 now.
Okay, finished the 4 episode documentary. It's really super-fun. Our second favorite attorney, Michael Avventi, has a prominent role in this saga.

SPOILER BELOW
► Show Spoiler
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

Yeah. The whole mess became case law. I think they could have cut this down to 90 minutes.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

What are you watching?

Post by Ben-Prime »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:17 am
Ben-Prime wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:07 am
And I get VanSciver's argument. Except they wanted it both ways. They didn't triangulate properly, is what I'm saying.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Mrich

What are you watching?

Post by Mrich »

CNN's HLN network has been playing a "The West Wing" marathon this weekend. I just noticed; they're in Season 4. Playing through the night.
sad-cafe

What are you watching?

Post by sad-cafe »

Headline News has a West Wing mega marathon. I have been watching a LOT of it.

Still great 20 years later
June bug

What are you watching?

Post by June bug »

I found it too and I’m loving it again…only wishing it was a documentary!
mojosapien
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by mojosapien »

neonzx wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:54 pm
You know, Foggy has a special place to put people. It's kinda a bit of a fun zone. You may enjoy it.
I had Joe's Garage on shuffle play in the car recently....got intertwined with Tom Lehrer for some reason.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I saw BlacKkKlansman last night. Hel of a movie! John David Washington (Denzel's son, in case you didn't know) does a fantastic job and Adam Driver is excellent as well. It's got some really funny moments, but also a lot of really hard hitting truth, as you might expect in a Spike Lee joint.

Lee makes the contrast - or more accurately the lack of contrast - between how things were during its 1972 setting and our current times very clear. It got me to thinking about how growing up, I thought we were making progress on racial equality - not enough, but some - and we even managed to elect a black president! But when the 2016 election started it became apparent how much of that progress had been illusory. Attitudes hadn't changed, they'd just been suppressed, and were now breaking out again, full of fury. I felt disgusted, angry and ashamed at just how little has changed.

When a movie makes me think and feel as much as this one did - especially when it can make me laugh, too - I consider it time well spent.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

What are you watching?

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

"Under the Banner of Heaven" on HULU is about the murder of a Mormon mother and child by members of a Mormon splinter group. I can't say more without lessening the enjoyment.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:40 am "Under the Banner of Heaven" on HULU is about the murder of a Mormon mother and child by members of a Mormon splinter group. I can't say more without lessening the enjoyment.
Oh, sounds intriguing. And I still have a week on my Hulu subscription! It appears this is a limited series (good. long mini series, no cliff hanger), 7 episodes.
Tiredretiredlawyer

What are you watching?

Andrew Garfield has been nominated for an Emmy for his performance.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

We watched it when it first came out. I was aware of the specific case, and I thought it was well done. He deserves the Emmy nomination.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bob

What are you watching?

Post by bob »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:40 am "Under the Banner of Heaven" on HULU is about the murder of a Mormon mother and child by members of a Mormon splinter group. I can't say more without lessening the enjoyment.
The book it is based upon also is worth a read.
Image ImageImage
Tiredretiredlawyer

What are you watching?

bob - I just ordered it from Thrift Books. :biggrin:
Tiredretiredlawyer

What are you watching?

https://www.aarp.org/entertainment/movi ... -2022.html

There are trailers for all of the movies named. :biggrin:
Holiday Movie Preview Guide 2022

The Wonder (in theaters Nov. 2, on Netflix Nov. 16)
Florence Pugh stars as a nurse investigating the case in an 1862 Irish village of a girl who doesn’t eat, yet mysteriously remains alive and well.*

*Hubby has been watching. It is superb.

She Said (in theaters Nov. 18)
The greatest film about investigative journalists since Spotlight stars Zoe Kazan and Carey Mulligan as the real-life New York Times reporters whose astounding reporting exposed the crimes of movie mogul and convicted rapist Harvey Weinstein. It packs an emotional wallop, and Gold Derby’s expert Oscar predictors rank it the ninth-likeliest best picture nominee and the second-likeliest best adapted screenplay nominee (after Women Talking and ahead of The Whale).

The Menu (in theaters Nov. 18)
In a comedy for those with a taste for the ghoulish, Ralph Fiennes plays a chef who serves the meal of a lifetime to a couple of gastronomes (Anya Taylor-Joy and Nicholas Hoult). But since he’s also a psycho, it might be their last.

Devotion (in theaters Nov. 23)
Liked Top Gun: Maverick? Try a true buddy picture about heroic Korean War fighter pilots Jesse Brown (Da 5 Bloods’ Jonathan Majors), the Navy aviator Variety calls “the Jackie Robinson of the skies,” and his white wingman Tom Hudner (Glen Powell, Top Gun: Maverick’s “Hangman” Seresin). The old-fashioned epic won the Middleburg Film Festival Audience Award — seven of the last nine winners won best picture nominations.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”