Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weather Alerts

Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

IT'S SNOWING!!!
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Kendra wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:04 amIT'S SNOWING!!!
Yeah. Here too in The Twin Cities. Winter storm warning. 4 to 7 inches predicted. At least my snowblower is ready. Sigh.
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

It's really sticking, rather rare in Seattle. I left work early, got plenty of vacation time remaining.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Weather Alerts

Post by neonzx »

All good thoughts to you in snowy areas. Haven't been there in a dozen or so years.

I think I'm starting to miss it. This Florida hurricane nonsense sucks. "Paradise" my ass -- just got my property tax bills. Bend over.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:08 am Florida’s Republican politicians will stand at the ever-receding shoreline and watch the sand, and the houses, and the businesses slowly be claimed by the sea.

They will then blame Dems for 1) not telling them this would happen and 2) not fixing it before it affected them.
I heard a really big wall will keep the bad things out. A really big wall around the Florida coast will do the trick. The GOP loves their walls.
101010 :towel:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Slim Cognito »

neonzx wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:14 pm All good thoughts to you in snowy areas. Haven't been there in a dozen or so years.

I think I'm starting to miss it. This Florida hurricane nonsense sucks. "Paradise" my ass -- just got my property tax bills. Bend over.
Yeah, me too. Including the letter that pretty much said, we're sorry your house is gone but you still owe taxes on half a mil. (well, I don't have that fancy a house but I drove to Pine Island today to drop off one of my fur babies with Portia ❤️ [she'll doggie sit for me while I go back to Tampa] and I saw a whoooooole bunch of half a mil or more houses sitting in the water - it's very shallow).
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

My niece is reporting snow on Bainbridge Island, which also means Seattle. :shock:

It's a little early.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

IIRC, Kitsap Peninsula and areas around (like Bainbridge) tend to get more snow than Seattle proper. We had another dusting overnight that's all gone now. Glad I ordered pickup from Fred Meyer though, their parking lot was all snow and slush. Amazing what a difference 500' elevation gain makes.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by jcolvin2 »

I was "fortunate" enough to experience snow in the Seattle area last night. Because of flight cancellations (probably caused by SeaTac's failure to have enough de-icer on hand last week), my four hour direct flight from St. Louis to Seattle (scheduled to arrive at 8:00 pm) turned into a nine hour journey (with a side trip through O'Hare where I visited the Pizzeria Uno in Terminal 3 where the plan for Brexit was hatched in 2012), involving two middle seats. I was able to deplane in Seattle at about midnight. My wife came to pick me up. It was not snowing when she departed, but by the time she arrived at Seatac at 11:30 pm, it was falling heavily. It continued to snow/sleet on the drive home. In all, about 6" of snow/sleet fell. Fortunately, temperatures were too warm for the snow to stick (33-34 F) and the drive home was not the cluster-f it could have been.
Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

Snow Dec 1 2022.jpg
Snow Dec 1 2022.jpg (330.73 KiB) Viewed 578 times
This was taken on the 1st of December. We got another couple of inches last night, but fortunately it's melting off. I'm about 30 miles SE of Seattle.

Tired of the snow already LOL.
sugar magnolia

Weather Alerts

Post by sugar magnolia »

It was 81 here today and I wore a tank top and shorts.
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

Sigh. Just started snowing again. Not sticking yet, but heavy, large flakes of it :mad:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

Time to join your avatar and curl up ;)
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:44 pm Time to join your avatar and curl up ;)
:bighug:

Oh well, it's tapered off, but the only errand I wanted to run was a Trader Joes run, and they're all up on the hill(s) where snow is more likely.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Weather Alerts

Post by keith »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:34 pm It was 81 here today and I wore a tank top and shorts.
It was 31c here yesterday. (88f) Low was 19c.

I wore a tshirt and shorts for most of the day, i aint saying what i wore the rest of the day.

It's supposed to get to a high of 19c today after yesterdays low of 19c.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... mber-owen/
Hurricane season officially ended last week but the Atlantic Ocean doesn’t own a calendar. The possibility has emerged of a named December subtropical storm over its open waters — the first in nine years.

A large low-pressure area about 1,600 miles east of Miami and 750 miles to the north of the Leeward Islands of the Caribbean is currently meandering over open waters. The National Hurricane Center indicates it has a 40 percent chance to become a subtropical depression or storm in the next five days.

Subtropical systems contain a mix of mid-latitude and tropical characteristics, but can earn a name if they have a defined center of circulation and winds of at least 39 mph. If this system is named, it will be drawn from the list of storms from the 2022 Atlantic hurricane season. The next name on the list is Owen, following Nicole, which slammed into the east coast of Florida on Nov. 9.

The system being monitored is moving eastward at 6 mph. The Ocean Prediction Center has issued a storm warning for waters within several hundred miles of the system. It said winds of 23 to 35 mph (20 to 30 knots) and seas of eight to 13 feet were ongoing in a large area around its center of low pressure.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

I once got on the elevator in early to mid December and somebody stated complaining, "I can't believe it is already snowing in December." I resisted saying, "you're not from the midwest, are you." My birthday is in October. There has been snow on my birthday on more than one occasion, but that was in Michigan. I don't recall it in Illinois but I may have forgotten.

The worst October snow, on my birthday, was in the photo below. However, to be fair, it was at 9,500 feet in Colorado.
Screenshot_20221206_082020.png
Screenshot_20221206_082020.png (393.23 KiB) Viewed 428 times
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

The surf was up Tuesday afternoon along the crest of the Bighorn Mountains. Sky surf, that is.

Those looking westward from Sheridan, Wyo., witnessed exceptional examples of giant cloud waves as they curled and crashed over the snowy landscape. The wave clouds were crafted by a phenomenon known as Kelvin-Helmholtz instability, which occurs as a result of differences in air density in adjacent layers of the sky. Moisture and strong winds are required for these clouds to trace their wavelike shape.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... s-wyoming/
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

:like:
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I’m listening to the sleet, ice pellets, whatever falling. It’s 34 degrees here in the Twin Cities. It’s blizzarding up in Duluth and tornadoing in the southern states. This is one hell of a huge weather system!
sugar magnolia

Weather Alerts

Post by sugar magnolia »

Our most recent alert has us under a tornado warning until 6 am. Listening to the storm chasers on the scanner.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

When it hits here overnight, we are only supposed to have rain. They were calling for a little snow earlier in the week, but now are just calling for rain, some of it in the mountains and north of here as freezing rain. Yes, it is a massive weather system.
sugar magnolia

Weather Alerts

Post by sugar magnolia »

Our rain gauge is reading 3.5" right now. My husband emptied it yesterday evening.

No idea how accurate it is but it hasn't stopped raining hard since about 9 last night.
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Please some of that rain to Texoma. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
pipistrelle

Weather Alerts

Post by pipistrelle »

I briefly saw a flash that New Orleans got tornadoes. Tornado season never ends anymore.

Return to “General Stuff”