Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:11 pmI've seen "The Mousetrap" in London 3 times. :biggrin: No, I am not going to give away the ending. ;)
Speaking of which, "See How They Run" - a whodunit that take place at the theater where "The Mousetrap" is being performed - is a really great movie. It's on HBO Max. If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend it! Saoirse Ronan is hilarious as a dedicated (if slightly excitible) constable and Sam Rockwell makes for a great world-weary detective. The movie plays with the tropes and conventions of a whodunit just enough to keep things lively and up in the air.

It's just too much fun!
MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

A lot of times I read the next day's comics when they are posted at midnight online. A majority of the Saturday comics I just read pay tribute to Charles Schulz who was born 100 years ago on Dec 26, 1922. That was so sweet.
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:37 am A lot of times I read the next day's comics when they are posted at midnight online. A majority of the Saturday comics I just read pay tribute to Charles Schulz who was born 100 years ago on Dec 26, 1922. That was so sweet.
I noticed that too. :biggrin:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
MsDaisy
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy »

My Mister whose mother died of breast cancer many years ago just got a call from his sister in London who’s just had a positive pap smear. I think she's 78/79. His face looked very worried when he told me. :(
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Police bust super-cartel that controls a third of Europe’s cocaine

The Times and The Sunday Times28 Nov 2022

Europol co-ordinated the raids which led to the arrest of 49 suspects in five different countries, as well as the seizure of 30 tonnes of drugs.

Guardia Civil is the Spanish Police
Patagoniagirl

Hijack This Thread

Post by Patagoniagirl »

One of my favorite oldies is The Andy Griffith Show. In one of the later seasons, Aunt Bee (Bea?) Take flying lessons.I was curious about that and found several sites saying she really did have a license, was a wing-walker in a barnstorming company and ended up being quite an excellent pilot. But most of those links are slightly not reliable. I'd like it to be true, not confident.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

MsDaisy wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:11 pm My Mister whose mother died of breast cancer many years ago just got a call from his sister in London who’s just had a positive pap smear. I think she's 78/79. His face looked very worried when he told me. :(
Very sorry to hear about this, MsDaisy. :(
Out from under. :thumbsup:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Hijack This Thread

Post by northland10 »

Foggy wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:08 am Q. Why did the wise men bring frankincense and myrrh?

A. They were men. By the time they got around to Christmas shopping, that's all that was left on the shelves.
Frankincense is a wonderful gift.

Chuch of the Advent, Boston. Episcopal.

From a UBE (Union of Black Episcopalians) conference:

German Catholics

And from the Edgewater neighborhood of Chicago (Church of the Atonement, an Episcopal church). My favorite hymn with more incense.
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Frankincense and myrrh smell wonderful!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
noblepa

Hijack This Thread

Post by noblepa »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:06 pm One of my favorite oldies is The Andy Griffith Show. In one of the later seasons, Aunt Bee (Bea?) Take flying lessons.I was curious about that and found several sites saying she really did have a license, was a wing-walker in a barnstorming company and ended up being quite an excellent pilot. But most of those links are slightly not reliable. I'd like it to be true, not confident.
Her wikepedia entry, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances_Bavier, makes no mention of any of this, but it might still be true. Its a pretty brief article.
DrConspiracy
Verified:

Media Bias

Post by DrConspiracy »

Some university did a study years ago that found that the print media is biased along the lines of the people who live in its coverage area. I don't like biased reporting, and sometimes the Times and the Post both disappoint for being one-sided and not asking the hard questions.

But one news source surprisingly stands out for its even-handed coverage of news, the Voice of America (part of the US Information Agency). VOA was a shortwave radio snag from my teenage years, but I spent more time looking then for more elusive stations. Now everything, including VOA, is online and just for grins I read a few articles. It was weird when my biased language alarms didn't go off.

https://www.voanews.com/
Tiredretiredlawyer

Hijack This Thread

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/1 ... al-sucking
'Anti-woke' MAGA bank is shutting down after mismanagement, general sucking

It's a sad week in America. It's also a sad week for billionaire anti-everything troll Peter Thiel, former Mike Pence Chief of Staff Nick Ayers, omnipresent fascist talking head Candace Owens, and a host of other archconservative investors. Mostly, it’s America that has suffered a loss. As first reported by The Wall Street Journal, the first self-proclaimed anti-woke "bank" in the nation is dying a hot flaming bankrupt death only a few brief months after opening for business.

That "anti-woke" bank called itself GloriFi, a portmanteau of "glory" and "financial malpractice" that premised itself on being, well, not woke. No, that was the whole gimmick. It was going to be a bank for MAGA-type Republicans who didn't want to put their money in a bank unless it catered to gun-toting, white nationalism-adjacent flag-humping cultural anti-wokeness. Among its appeals to the (ahem) Trumpy class were, as Rolling Stone puts it, "plans to offer gun owners discounts on home insurance, credit cards made of shell casing material, and assistance paying legal bills if customers shot someone in self-defense."

You can glean from this description what all the people involved with this new bank believed "anti-woke" to mean. "Woke" means not getting to shoot at people you don't like, and "anti-woke" means getting a discount on financial products if you do shoot people you don’t like. There's no singing “America the Beautiful” for this crowd—it was guns, guns, murder, and guns.

It turns out that was not, by itself, a sufficient business plan. The Journal had previously noted that the plan to make credit cards out of shell casing metal turned into a big oops because the people promising such a thing hadn't realized that making a credit card out of metal might "interfere with security chips and potentially be too thick for payment terminals," which is one of those science-type oversights that you're going to get when your biggest-brained ideas revolve around "what would sound like a good idea to the sort of people who think Donald Trump was history's smartest president."

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Hijack This Thread

Post by jez »

The Universe is out to get me.

This morning while heading back to my office after going out with the dog, a cosmic ray hit a rouge, free-floating oxygen molecule, which in turn flipped a cat hair that was embedded in the carpet up a few micrometers. I was walking thru that area just as it happened, and since I am elegance and grace personified, I tripped.

I think I fractured my foot. Roomie is going to take me to the ER when she is done with work.

It will be fun explaining how I tripped on nothing and maybe broke my foot.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug: Good luck. And big ouch.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

Hijack This Thread

Oh, noes!!!! If you had a dog, you could blame it on the dog!
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

jez wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:51 pm I think I fractured my foot. Roomie is going to take me to the ER when she is done with work.

It will be fun explaining how I tripped on nothing and maybe broke my foot.
OUCH! I really hope it isn't broken - that can be quite painful! So, what did you do to the universe to piss it off?

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Hijack This Thread

Post by jez »

Foot is not broken. Just did a number on the ligaments. Have a walking shoe and crutches. And they found a rather large bone spur on my heel.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Gupwalla

Hijack This Thread

Post by Gupwalla »

jez wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:04 pm Foot is not broken. Just did a number on the ligaments. Have a walking shoe and crutches. And they found a rather large bone spur on my heel.
YOU get a draft deferment! And YOU get a draft deferment!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

Not fun, I'm sure, but better than a broken foot, I'd guess. :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
jcolvin2
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by jcolvin2 »

About 20 years ago I tripped walking down a staircase in a Barnes & Noble bookstore. No obstructions; I just somehow missed the landing. Broke my foot. The doctors told me it was the type of fracture most commonly suffered by women wearing high heels.
Sam the Centipede

Hijack This Thread

Post by Sam the Centipede »

jcolvin2 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:57 pm About 20 years ago I tripped walking down a staircase in a Barnes & Noble bookstore. No obstructions; I just somehow missed the landing. Broke my foot. The doctors told me it was the type of fracture most commonly suffered by women wearing high heels.
:think: But not by men wearing high heels? :biggrin:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

I have met jcolvin2, and I am guessing he was not a woman in high heels at the time. :biggrin:

And I spoke to Jez on Sunday night, that was only 4 days ago! She didn't have a broken foot! All my Fogbow peeps are going through Hell!

:oldman:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Hijack This Thread

D5B00596-A8DC-4638-BC91-FBE6B3D190DA.jpeg
D5B00596-A8DC-4638-BC91-FBE6B3D190DA.jpeg (43.88 KiB) Viewed 366 times
MsDaisy
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:24 am D5B00596-A8DC-4638-BC91-FBE6B3D190DA.jpeg
You ever run into a Geordie? I did once in a pub in Newcastle and I was completely clueless of what he was saying, but it must have been damn funny because the whole pub was cracking up including my British Mr. :lol:

Return to “General Stuff”