Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Another Shooting

Dave from down under

Another Shooting

Post by Dave from down under »

He was the first defendant in New York ever to be indicted for a domestic act of terrorism motivated by hate in the first degree.

He faces a mandatory sentence of life in prison without parole on the domestic terrorism charge alone. His sentencing is scheduled for February 15.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

Suspected Club Q shooter’s mother cited for multiple offenses day after shooting

https://krdo.com/news/2022/11/28/suspec ... -shooting/
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KRDO) -- The mother of the suspected Club Q shooter, Anderson Aldrich, was cited for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest on November 20, 2022, one day after the Club Q mass shooting.

The Colorado Springs Police Department (CSPD) says that the mother, Laura Voepel, was warned to stop yelling or she would be arrested for disorderly conduct. She continued to make "unreasonable noise" directly next to multiple apartments.

When officers attempted to place Voepel into custody, they say she became combative, physically resisting the officer.

Disorderly conduct is a petty offense and resisting arrest is a class two misdemeanor.

It is unclear at this time if these citations are related to the Club Q shooting investigation. Colorado Springs Police Chief Adrian Vasquez previously stated that Voepel was not cooperating with the investigation.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Another Shooting

Post by RTH10260 »

Virginia Walmart worker who escaped shooting files $50M suit, says she complained of gunman's 'bizarre' behavior

Minyvonne Burke and Gina Gentilesco
Tue, November 29, 2022 at 11:52 PM

A Walmart worker who was shot at during last week's mass killing in a Virginia store filed a $50 million lawsuit, saying she wrote a formal complaint about the shooter's "bizarre" behavior two months ago and nothing was done about it.

Donya Prioleau was in the break room at the Walmart Supercenter in Chesapeake when the gunman stormed in and started firing on Nov. 22. She ran from the room as bullets whizzed by her head, "barely missing her," says a lawsuit filed Tuesday in Chesapeake Circuit Court.

Six people were killed, and several others were injured. The suspect, Andre Bing, 31, an overnight team lead, died by suicide.

The lawsuit alleges that Walmart should have known that Bing "was violent and could harm others" after the store got numerous reports about him, including a formal complaint Prioleau wrote on Sept. 10.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/virginia-wal ... 39595.html
(original NBC News)
RTH10260

Another Shooting

Post by RTH10260 »

Woman walks into neighbor’s house, shoots her over barking dogs, Flowery Branch police say

WSBTV.com News Staff
Wed, November 30, 2022 at 3:27 AM

A woman is in the hospital after being shot several times inside her own home, according to Flowery Branch police.

Officers say they were called to a home on Chattahoochee St. just after 11:30 a.m. on Tuesday morning where they found a woman with multiple gunshot wounds in the street.

They were able to apply a tourniquet to the woman and send her to the hospital. She is currently listed as stable.

Investigators quickly identified Fonda Spratt, 56, as the shooter and took her into custody.

Detectives learned that Spratt walked into the victim’s home and confronted her about barking dogs before pulling out a gun and shooting her several times.

“This is incredibly unfortunate and could have ended in catastrophic results. There could have been more innocent individuals injured or killed,” Flowery Branch Police Chief Christopher Hulsey said.

Spratt was charged with two counts of aggravated assault, burglary, reckless conduct and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime. More charges are possible.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-walks- ... 06608.html
(original WSB Cox)
Azastan
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Azastan »

Burglary?

I imagine that we will eventually learn that Ms Spratt had talked to her neighbour several times about the barking dogs.
Fiascoist

Another Shooting

Post by Fiascoist »

Entry with intent to commit a crime (assault). It doesn't have to be theft.
Azastan
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Azastan »

Fiascoist wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:42 am Entry with intent to commit a crime (assault). It doesn't have to be theft.
Thanks.

I have much empathy for Ms Spratt about barking dogs, having been subjected to that for more than two years and almost daily discussions with my neighbour about the barking. However, I would not have shot my neighbour.
Sam the Centipede

Another Shooting

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Fiascoist wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:42 am Entry with intent to commit a crime (assault). It doesn't have to be theft.
It's good to learn something! - this non-lawyer wasn't aware that burglary related to the intention to commit any crime*. I checked: this is also the meaning in Australia, England, Northern Ireland, New Zealand so I infer probably everywhere with an English language law code (unless that country subsumes burglary under other categories).

So I guess it's a language thing as much as a law thing. Although didn't Olde Englande distinguish between offenses committed in daytime and nighttime, one being housebreaking and the other burglary? Perhaps an urban myth!

* possibly with certain restrictions; for example in NZ the intended offense must be imprisonable
Jim

Another Shooting

Post by Jim »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:29 am
Woman walks into neighbor’s house, shoots her over barking dogs, Flowery Branch police say

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-walks- ... 06608.html
(original WSB Cox)
From the comments below the story...
13 hours ago

We have a new neighbor two one acre+ lots away. They are building a house, and have a beautiful, but untrained dog.

I can open my door and the dog barks for 20 minutes

(The dog is about two football fields away)

It’s not a warning bark as the dog wags his tail the whole time.

We have a hot tub on our deck ,I have gone out for a soak at 10 PM opening my door very quietly. When the jets come on the dog immediately starts barking for a full 30 minutes.

I went over to introduce myself and mention the barking.

I realized the lovely older couple were very hard of hearing and don’t wear their hearing aides

I bought them a gift of a Caesar Milan dog whisperer humane shock collar.
6 hours ago

Which of the owners wears the shock collar ?
:rotflmao:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Phoenix520 »

Not being a gun enthusiast I can’t understand her thinking. Was it ‘If I go over there with my gun she’ll see how serious I am’? But I’ll bet not this ‘Oh but I bought this gun to defend myself and if she gets hostile I might use it’ or ‘If I use it I’ll go to jail’.

This is why guns are so dangerous. They make you stop thinking.

‘I’m right, here’s my might, let me show you. BLAM.’
Sam the Centipede

Another Shooting

Post by Sam the Centipede »

I could understand going over with a gun to shoot the barking dogs (not saying I approve! – just that i could understand it). Perhaps that was her intention until the red must descended?

But it baffles me the number of gun nuts who don't/won't/can't do the simple calculation of working out that whatever irks them is not bad enough that a lifetime in a penitentiary is the best solution.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:45 pm I could understand going over with a gun to shoot the barking dogs (not saying I approve! – just that i could understand it). Perhaps that was her intention until the red must descended?

But it baffles me the number of gun nuts who don't/won't/can't do the simple calculation of working out that whatever irks them is not bad enough that a lifetime in a penitentiary is the best solution.
I have no idea.
I said many years ago here that I used to own a handgun (gifted to me at 21 by a gun loving cousin) but I gave it away a couple years after.

Then moving to FL, it seems everyone has guns and if you don't have one, you are a bleeding heart liberal. So ~3 years ago, I bought a handgun so these jerks that want to call me out -- I can say, yeah, I have a gun. But I have never carried it nor reached for it. (It's locked in a bolted down hard safe unloaded). I only take it out to clean it and go to the shooting range a few times a year.

Barking dogs. Airhorn (like you often would have on a personal water craft) does wonders. And they are non lethal. Shooting dog owners is an unwise resolution.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Kriselda Gray »

neonzx wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:36 pm Barking dogs. Airhorn (like you often would have on a personal water craft) does wonders. And they are non lethal. Shooting dog owners is an unwise resolution.
We recently got a device that's essentially an electronic dog whistle that works really well to get our dogs to stop barking, and to call them back into the house when they're outside. The nice thing is that since it's silent to humans, it doesn't contribute to the neighborhood noise level.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Phoenix520 »

I’ve seen ads for a dog whistle that stops barking and only dogs can hear it.
Danraft

Another Shooting

Post by Danraft »

Whistle is good….
Getting a yapping dog to stop yapping can be murder…
Azastan
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Azastan »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:49 pm
neonzx wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:36 pm Barking dogs. Airhorn (like you often would have on a personal water craft) does wonders. And they are non lethal. Shooting dog owners is an unwise resolution.
The nice thing is that since it's silent to humans, it doesn't contribute to the neighborhood noise level.
Sometimes the whole and entire point of the airhorn is so that the owner of the dogs will have the penny drop that their dogs are barking and more specifically, that the dogs are nuisance barking. My neighbour used to tell me that she just blocks out the barking. Sorry, that's not being a good neighbour (and Ms Spratt probably was getting tired of having a discussion with her neighbour about the barking). I've learned that dog owners get really defensive when you ask them to stop the dog barking...
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:24 pm I’ve seen ads for a dog whistle that stops barking and only dogs can hear it.
Yeah, that's kind of what we have
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Another Shooting

Post by keith »

Danraft wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:28 pm Whistle is good….
Getting a yapping dog to stop yapping can be murder…
Therefore don't carry a gun when you go talk to you neighbor about it.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Another Shooting

Post by raison de arizona »

It's not your imagination, you've got a gun on your back!
U.S. gun death rates hit highest levels in decades, study says
The research is one of the most comprehensive analyses of American gun deaths in years.

The U.S. gun death rate last year hit its highest mark in nearly three decades, and the rate among women has been growing faster than that of men, according to study published Tuesday.
:snippity:
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/2 ... s-00071285
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

Another Shooting

Post by RTH10260 »

Does that coincide with the increased gun purchases cause a black man became POTUS?
Jim

Another Shooting

Post by Jim »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:56 am Does that coincide with the increased gun purchases cause a black man became POTUS?
Nope, because a white-bigot became president and the Republicans decided to let every crazy in the country have a weapon of mass killing.

"The surge in gun violence comes as firearm purchases rose to record levels in 2020 and 2021, with more than 43 million guns estimated to have been purchased during that period, according to a Washington Post analysis of federal data on gun background checks. At the same time, the rate of gun deaths in those years hit the highest level since 1995, with more than 45,000 fatalities each year."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/i ... -year-usa/
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Another Shooting

Post by raison de arizona »

Too bad his mother didn't have a gun to defend herself, things may have ended differently.
‘Absolute family tragedy’: 10-year-old Milwaukee boy charged as an adult in the fatal shooting of his mother

A 10-year-old Milwaukee boy shot and killed his mother, not in a tragic accident as investigators first believed, but after his mother would not buy him a virtual reality headset, according to prosecutors.

The boy was charged in adult court last week with first-degree reckless homicide and is being held in the county's juvenile detention facility.

The boy first told police the shooting was an accident, but a day later, his relatives contacted police questioning his story and the child later admitted that he intentionally pointed a gun at his mother before shooting her, according to a copy of the criminal complaint obtained by the Journal Sentinel.

The boy's family told detectives he had received an unspecified but "concerning" mental health diagnosis from a therapist and had a history of disturbing behavior, including setting the living room furniture on fire and swinging a puppy by its tail, the complaint says.
:snippity:
https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/cri ... 689314007/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

Another Shooting

Post by RTH10260 »

Swinging a puppy by it's tail? That's not as bad as tearing the wings off of a fly :twisted:
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

Post by Dave from down under »

Next he will be running on the GOP ticket..
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Slim Cognito »

Dave from down under wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:47 pm Next he will be running on the GOP ticket..
With crybaby Kyle.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”