Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

The Republic of Ireland

Suranis

The Republic of Ireland

Post by Suranis »

This is my Brother in Law, talking about his project about finding Irish stones of strength. Not saying I agree with everything he says here but he is passionate and he is coming from the right place. Have a listen at least, its only 4 minutes.
David Keohan

A short chat about the importance of these irish stones of strength. Not only great feats of power to lift them, but they are touch stones to our socio-economic, political, religious, artistic and mythological past. They are ireland. They are us. Have a listen . Here's the gofund me and id really appreciate the help. https://gofund.me/26c4478f
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

The Republic of Ireland

Post by Foggy »

What language is he speaking? :confuzzled:

I had to listen three times and I still only got part of it. That thing should have captioning.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Foggy
Dick Tater

The Republic of Ireland

Post by Foggy »

Wow, here's an article (in English!) about David getting stoned.

https://www.oldmanofthestones.com/blog/ ... -inishmore

Holy Manole, that thing weighs 376 lbs. (or "one stone," which is how they measure in the UK or sumpin')!

And it is, in fact, a beautiful chunk of pink granite.
Uninformed

The Republic of Ireland

Post by Uninformed »

Perfectly understandable :mrgreen:

To me, his passion for cultural (etc) history is more Irish than his accent. :thumbsup:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Suranis

The Republic of Ireland

Post by Suranis »

Foggy wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:46 am And it is, in fact, a beautiful chunk of pink granite.
Ya and the thing is, Pink Granite is NOT native to the area. At all. I haven't a clue how that rock got there. It's a big fat mystery. I guess it could have been transported there, but why leave it on the side of the road then??

There's a bit more to the story which I know David wouldnt mind me talking about. The thing is, he went over in February as it was the only time his friend could get off to go there. His Wife (my sister Breda) came to visit our mom while he was gone to the Aran Islands and we were all going "What kind of Maniac would go the fcking Aran islands in bloody Febuary???" Needless to say, it was blowing up a storm when he got there, the ferry was splashed by 10 foot waves on the way over, and they were soaked to the skin. Bloody maniacs.

Anyway, here is his post about finding the stone and some videos where you can see the Suffering they endured and the waves splashing the ferry on the way over.

https://www.facebook.com/keohan.david/p ... U2PaUbQdfl

Finding the rock. You can see there's nothing like it around there.

David "getting the wind under the stone."

He has a youtube channel with some vids if you are interested on other rocks.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkCFb0 ... qiuEDuBqzA
Hic sunt dracones
much ado

The Republic of Ireland

Post by much ado »

Suranis wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:36 pm
Foggy wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:46 am And it is, in fact, a beautiful chunk of pink granite.
Ya and the thing is, Pink Granite is NOT native to the area. At all. I haven't a clue how that rock got there. It's a big fat mystery. I guess it could have been transported there, but why leave it on the side of the road then??
It is a glacial erratic carried by glaciers thousands of years ago, perhaps not to the side of the road, but near there.

Here is a discussion of glacial erratics in in the Burren of Ireland...

Erratic Rocks

It mentions where some of the granite erratics in Ireland originated.
The name comes from the Greek word ‘errare’ meaning to wander. The term is applied to rocks that have been carried some distance from their original outcrop. We have some excellent examples of large granite boulders that have come from across Galway Bay. There are no outrops of Galway Granite in the Burren so the boulders must have been transported here. The vast majority of our erratic boulders are limestone and local to the Burren, so the transport distances aren’t huge.

One of the useful features of erratics is that they can tell us the direction that the ice flowed, so we know that the Galway granite boulders were carried south to the Burren by ice sheets flowing from Connemara. In southern County Clare at the Bridges of Ross we have erratics that were carried there from County Kerry whereas in eastern Clare we find erratics carried from the Slieve Aughty mountains. This tells us that local ice sheet flow spread out from regional upland areas and that while the overall flow of the main ice sheets in Ireland was from the northeast, the local pattern can be more complex.
Suranis

The Republic of Ireland

Post by Suranis »

Ya, if it was the Burren I'd agree. But this is on an Island off the coast.

Eh, it doesn't matter much. Ya, it probably was a Glacial drop, but that's not ROMANTIC. :mad:
much ado wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:03 pm
It is a glacial erratic carried by glaciers thousands of years ago, perhaps not to the side of the road, but near there.
Hic sunt dracones
much ado

The Republic of Ireland

Post by much ado »

Suranis wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:12 pm Ya, if it was the Burren I'd agree. But this is on an Island off the coast.

Eh, it doesn't matter much. Ya, it probably was a Glacial drop, but that's not ROMANTIC. :mad:
much ado wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:03 pm
At maximum glaciation, ice covered all of Ireland and all of the western islands in one enormous sheet that also covered northern Great Britain. The ice covering Inishmore came from the north bringing erratics with it. There wasn't a coast then.

Here's a diagram...

The Irish Ice Sheet

Suranis

The Republic of Ireland

Post by Suranis »

much ado wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:26 pm At maximum glaciation, ice covered all of Ireland and all of the western islands in one enormous sheet that also covered northern Great Britain. The ice covering Inishmore came from the north bringing erratics with it. There wasn't a coast then.
Interesting. Thanks for that.
Hic sunt dracones
Sam the Centipede

The Republic of Ireland

Post by Sam the Centipede »

That's also why Ireland doesn't have snakes and lacks several reptiles and mammals found in Britain. Ice sheet covered the entire area of Ireland (as it is now) during the last Ice Age. As the ice sheet receded sea levels rose (relatively) quickly creating a coast line with no land bridge to Britain or continental Europe, hampering recolonization.

A few years ago there was some amusement when the Northern Ireland stores of a UK garden supplies chain tried to sell ultrasonic devices for deterring burrowing moles. They stopped when it was pointed out that Ireland does not have moles.
Blindingly obvious... mole repellers useless
much ado

The Republic of Ireland

Post by much ado »

I hope it's appropriate to post this here...

These lads are coming to the Far West! And I'm going to hear them at a house concert next month. If mrs ado and I get there early enough, we will be sitting just a few feet from them.

From the email sent out by the organizer:
Colm Broderick (County Carlow, Ireland) and Patrick Finley (Atlanta, Georgia) have created a wonderful partnership in Irish traditional music.

Colm is a multiple All-Ireland champion piper and was selected by Na Píobairi Uilleann as the inheritor of Liam ó Floinn's pipes, on Liam's death in 2018.

Colm has performed at many prestigious venues including in the National Concert Hall, Dublin Castle and Áras an Uachtaráin among many others. In 2021 Colm performed a private concert for President Michael D Higgins at his home where he was awarded the 2021 Seán O'Riada Gold medal by the president.

Colm is a primary school teacher, however, recently he has been playing and touring in the US and Ireland when he is not busy teaching in his local Carlow primary schools.

Patrick, a multiple All-Ireland champion fiddler, plays with a unique style with influences from Sligo and Clare music.

Patrick began playing the fiddle at the age of four, joining the Atlanta Irish Music School, and eventually studying with Sligo fiddler Oisin Mac Diarmada. Patrick is also an experienced music teacher, having co-founded the Phoenix School of Irish Arts in Atlanta, teaching Irish music on a variety of instruments.

Together, they focus on creating a refreshingly traditional style of music on the pipes and fiddle.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

The Republic of Ireland

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I didn't see the piper blow into his pipe once. What's with that? Enjoyed the musical interlude, though. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
much ado

The Republic of Ireland

Post by much ado »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:13 pm I didn't see the piper blow into his pipe once. What's with that? Enjoyed the musical interlude, though. :biggrin:
Those are uilleann or ("Irish") pipes, which are blown by pumping bellows under the players right elbow. The left elbow maintains the proper pressure on the bag. They are a rather strange instrument and very difficult to master. I play Scottish smallpipes, also blown by bellows, but much easier.

Here is a description of uilleann pipes:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

The Republic of Ireland

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Thanks, much ado! I saw the bellows under his right arm.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
SlimSloSlider

The Republic of Ireland

Post by SlimSloSlider »

As Paddy Keenan, formerly of the Bothy Band, said to me once, playing the pipes is a bit like wrestling a drunk octopus.

Suranis

The Republic of Ireland

Post by Suranis »

More stony goodness from my brother in law.

https://www.facebook.com/keohan.david/p ... %2CO%2CP-R
KNICKEEN OGHAM STONE.
Following on from yesterday's story.
After driving back Down from the cemetery and finding and lifting the Leitrim stones, I said to the soldier on the checkpoint, I believe there's a large standing stone up the road a bit, would it be possible to get a look at it?
"they're will be another soldier up there you'll have to ask him"
"grand" says i " thanks a mill mate"
About 500yds up the road I get to another soldier and checkpoint, and explain I'm a history buff and id like to visit the stone in the field.
"I dunno" he said, "we have live rounds being fired here in less than 15 mins"
"ah ill only be 5" I said.
"You got 5, thats IT. now hurry"

Run in get some great pics, wow what a stone. Almost heart shaped, HUGE. 8ft tall id say,

Ogham writing on the side.... The Ogham inscription on the North East corner reads ‘Maqi Nili’, which broadly means ‘Of the son of Niall’. Ogham is the oldest form of writing in the early Irish language and was used for about 500 years from the Early Christian era.

There is a local myth that I found on dúchas.ie about the stone, which says that it was thrown by Fionn Mac Cumhaill from the top of Lugnaquilla, and that the markings on the edge of the stone are the imprints of his fingers! Don't you just love it? There is no way that I can exaggerate how incredible this place is.

Surrounded by panoramic mountains and woods, the stone stands in a small grassy clearing looking out on the formidable view. The area is very secluded, and absent of any sound except for the hum of nature, which will be broken by the the soon to be heard gunshots as I get a shout from the soldier To " leave NOW" run out grab a selfie, and tear out with the road hearing the gunshots start to CRACK CRACK as I go.
Pics under the spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Hic sunt dracones
Sam the Centipede

The Republic of Ireland

Post by Sam the Centipede »

That's Finn McCool / Fionn mac Cumhaill, who apparently opened Irish bars in cities around the world? :biggrin:

Ogham stones are interesting; I've only seen a couple in Co. Kerry, smallish yokes. Encountering the script for the first time was a surprise.
Foggy
Dick Tater

The Republic of Ireland

Post by Foggy »

That stone was obviously placed by space aliens. Look at the photos!

The front is a map of a galaxy too far away to be seen with telescopes.

But pretty cool how they made it look just like it fell out of the sky one day a few years ago ... :whistle:
MsDaisy
Verified:

The Republic of Ireland

Post by MsDaisy »

much ado wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:56 pm I hope it's appropriate to post this here...

These lads are coming to the Far West! And I'm going to hear them at a house concert next month. If mrs ado and I get there early enough, we will be sitting just a few feet from them.

From the email sent out by the organizer:
Colm Broderick (County Carlow, Ireland) and Patrick Finley (Atlanta, Georgia) have created a wonderful partnership in Irish traditional music.
:snippity:

Together, they focus on creating a refreshingly traditional style of music on the pipes and fiddle.
:thumbsup:

We've been in pubs in Scotland and Ireland listening to the local music and musicians and I have too say it's all pretty damn good! I've even joined in a time or two with some of them playing the only thing I was ever able to learn to play, the spoons. LOL! Pretty good example of spoon playing...

:lol:
Foggy
Dick Tater

The Republic of Ireland

Post by Foggy »

Okay, that damned stone kept me up last night.

That stone is saying "I don't belong here."

Thrown from someplace? Nah.

Fell from the sky? That's consistent with its placement and semi-burial.

But in the final analysis, they grew it from a seed.

I didn't even know you could do that. :think:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

The Republic of Ireland

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:36 am Okay, that damned stone kept me up last night.

There are stones in Ireland, me is pretty sure. I think I have visited them.

Wait, no, that was Stonehenge -- not in Ireland. Nevermind.

But pretty sure Ireland has many stone-like rocks, which grew from a seed. But nothing a stout pint or two can't fix.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

The Republic of Ireland

Post by northland10 »

Foggy wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:36 am Okay, that damned stone kept me up last night.

Damned stones can confuse folks (even early ones). Maybe this is the same stone that is just weathered and somehow, the hills around it in Ireland also weathered to nothing.

But they bring good things and teach us stuff, like how to play timpani.
101010 :towel:
roadscholar

The Republic of Ireland

Post by roadscholar »

I saw the Stone of Destiny (the Lia Fáil) on the Hill of Tara in the Brú na Bóinne. So there's at least one!

(Unless it was left there by the Horta.)
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

The Republic of Ireland

Post by RTH10260 »

They grow them like 'shrooms in the dark

Foggy
Dick Tater

The Republic of Ireland

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, well, I am starting to understand what the attraction is, and why our mousie's silly brother-in-law is driving all over Ireland looking at rocks.

I would definitely drive a couple hundred miles kilometers to see that stone up close. Even the ground cover surrounding the stone is intriguing and beautiful.

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”