Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

FIFA World Cup 2022

Volkonski
Verified:

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by Volkonski »

Just watched the first match, Qatar vs Ecuador. I won't spoil it.

US vs Wales tomorrow.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
John Thomas8

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by John Thomas8 »

"Suck it up, no beer for you!".

Giggle, just a long line of ungoodness with this Qatar selection.

Hope the games are good and no injuries happen.
SuzieC
Verified:

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by SuzieC »

Fans chant "Queremos cerveza." Hilarious. Other thing my son and I noticed: no women in Qatar spectator areas.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by RTH10260 »

mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by mojosapien »

Blame it all on ANFIFA!!!!!!
They disrupt the match between QANON and MAGAGA!!
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by bill_g »

Did she run by here?
No. I Qatar.

... I'll let myself out
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by Foggy »

When I was a kid, I broke a pinky finger and it never did heal right, so I wasn't able to play the Qatar. :(
Out from under. :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by AndyinPA »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:37 am
Pretty disturbing. :twisted:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
John Thomas8

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by John Thomas8 »

The captains of England, Wales, Belgium, Denmark, Germany and the Netherlands will not wear the OneLove anti-discrimination armband in their World Cup opening games after confirmation that their captains would be given yellow cards if they took part in the initiative.

The announcement came just before their World Cup campaigns were scheduled to start. The national federations said they were prepared to pay a fine for their captains to wear the OneLove armband, but once it became clear their captains would be sanctioned, they had to change plans.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world- ... d-fifa-row
Volkonski
Verified:

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by Volkonski »

Crusader costumes worn by England fans are ‘offensive,’ says FIFA

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/25/sport/wo ... index.html
Ahead of England’s World Cup clash with the United States on Friday, world soccer’s governing body FIFA said that Crusader costumes worn by England fans are “offensive.”

Some England fans attend sports events dressed as the English patron Saint George, equipped with helmets, crosses and plastic swords.

FIFA told CNN: “Crusader costumes in the Arab or Middle East context can be offensive to Muslims. That is why anti-discrimination colleagues asked fans to wear things inside out or change dress.”

:snippity:

FIFA says that “it strives to create a discrimination-free environment, to promote diversity across the organization and in all of its activities and events.”
Apparently some England National Team fans attend sports events dressed as Saint George.

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Suranis

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by Suranis »

I remember it was the fashion in gaming sometime around 2015 to shout "Allah Ackbar!" as a battle cry in games as it was "edgy." I got a little sick of it so I started saying "Deux Vult!" in chats as a response. One day someone asked me what that was as it was really cool, and I said "It was the battle cry of the Crusades." The guy was shocked "You can't say that!" At which point I started hammering my head off my desk.

For those interested, Deux Vult means "God wills it."
Hic sunt dracones
Volkonski
Verified:

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by Volkonski »

At World Cup, U.S. soccer briefly scrubs Islamic emblem from Iran flag
The decision by the U.S. Soccer Federation added yet-another political firestorm to the Middle East’s first World Cup.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/2 ... g-00070843
Iran’s government reacted by accusing America of removing the name of God from their national flag.

The decision by the U.S. Soccer Federation adds yet-another political firestorm to the Middle East’s first World Cup, one which organizers had hoped would be spared of off-the-field controversies.

It also comes as the U.S. faces Iran in a decisive World Cup match, which was already freighted by the decades of enmity between the two countries and the nationwide protests now challenging Tehran’s theocratic government.

The U.S. Soccer Federation said in a statement Sunday morning that it decided to forego the official flag on social media accounts to show “support for the women in Iran fighting for basic human rights.”
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:19 pm At World Cup, U.S. soccer briefly scrubs Islamic emblem from Iran flag
The decision by the U.S. Soccer Federation added yet-another political firestorm to the Middle East’s first World Cup.
Oh, poor Iran got their tightie-whities in a bunch by the US Soccer team offending precious Islam.

Oh, poor host-country Qatar got their tightie-whities in a bunch over BEER and teams who were going to wear pride colored armbands. Oh yeah, and fans -- the men and women must not congregate together. Sounds like a great fun-filled World Cup tourney to spend thousands to attend.

I'm starting to think the Middle East was not a good selection. Musta been for FIFA though. $$$

I've not watched any of it, but I am getting team score updates via the news.
SuzieC
Verified:

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by SuzieC »

neonzx wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:48 pm
Volkonski wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:19 pm At World Cup, U.S. soccer briefly scrubs Islamic emblem from Iran flag
Oh, poor Iran got their tightie-whities in a bunch by the US Soccer team offending precious Islam.

Oh, poor host-country Qatar got their tightie-whities in a bunch over BEER and teams who were going to wear pride colored armbands. Oh yeah, and fans -- the men and women must not congregate together. Sounds like a great fun-filled World Cup tourney to spend thousands to attend.

I'm starting to think the Middle East was not a good selection. Musta been for FIFA though. $$$

I've not watched any of it, but I am getting team score updates via the news.
And poor FIFA got their tightie-whities in a bunch over England fans wearing Crusader costumes. While I agree that is kind of offensive, what's REALLY offensive is the brutally discriminatory treatment of women and LGBT people by middle eastern countries like Iran and Qatar, all condoned and sanctioned by FIFA.

Over my son's Thanksgiving visit, I've watched more soccer (correct name football) than ever before in my life and I enjoyed it, especially France and Brazil. However, if Qatar thinks the World Cup will sportswash its image to the world, it could not be more wrong.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by Kriselda Gray »

neonzx wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:48 pm Oh, poor Iran got their tightie-whities in a bunch by the US Soccer team offending precious Islam.
It's more than just that. Iran is upset because we altered their *official* flag. Given how sensitive many people are about our flag, how do you think we would react if some country decided to replace the stars on our flag with images that looked like bullet holes to call attention to the gun violence we have here, or some other alteration to make a political point.

While I have no problem with the US standing in solidarity with Iranian women and girls - and definitely think we should - I think they could have found a better way to convey that message.
W. Kevin Vicklund

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:28 pm
neonzx wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:48 pm Oh, poor Iran got their tightie-whities in a bunch by the US Soccer team offending precious Islam.
It's more than just that. Iran is upset because we altered their *official* flag. Given how sensitive many people are about our flag, how do you think we would react if some country decided to replace the stars on our flag with images that looked like bullet holes to call attention to the gun violence we have here, or some other alteration to make a political point.

While I have no problem with the US standing in solidarity with Iranian women and girls - and definitely think we should - I think they could have found a better way to convey that message.
Excellent idea, Kriselda!
Sam the Centipede

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:28 pm It's more than just that. Iran is upset because we altered their *official* flag.
It's probably worse than that because the edit removed the religious message from the flag. The government of Iran comprises a bunch of religious nutters, who would not appreciate the infidels making that apparently anti-islamic change.

FIFA and most of its member national associations have always been hot on mandating "absolutely no political messages on the players' kit", trying to keep their sport friendly in an unfriendly world, not necessarily a bad objective. But then taking bribes to run their competition in a country with no football tradition, no facilities, bad human rights, etc. – arguably a political decision by FIFA itself! – lost them any moral "football is outside politics" high ground.

International sporting bodies all seem to have problems, be it corruption, incompetence, racism, neglect of players' wellbeing, whatever. FIFA and the IOC were/are the worst, probably because their two quadrennial competitions massively dominate international sport.
neonzx

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by neonzx »

https://www.mediaite.com/sports/watch-w ... nto-pitch/
WATCH: World Cup Match Brought to a Halt When Rainbow Flag Waving Protester Runs Onto Pitch
By Zachary LeemanNov 28th, 2022, 4:10 pm

A World Cup match between Portugal and Uruguay was brought to a halt on Monday when a spectator took to the field, running and waving a rainbow flag. The interruption came after the second half kickoff.

Images captured of the protester showed he was also wearing a blue shirt with the Superman emblem and the message “SAVE UKRAINE.” The back of the shirt also carried a message, reading, “RESPECT FOR IRANIAN WOMAN.”

Messages received and approved. :clap:

John Thomas8

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by John Thomas8 »

neonzx

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by neonzx »

Screenshot_20221129-181022-516.png
Screenshot_20221129-181022-516.png (30.26 KiB) Viewed 665 times
🤣
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by Foggy »

:cheer2:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
W. Kevin Vicklund

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

bad_Iran.png
bad_Iran.png (29.95 KiB) Viewed 641 times
FIFY

:stamp:
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

FIFA Womens World Cup 2024

Post by mojosapien »

Subject has been changed or advanced.. Ye, may it Foggy be.

France vs Inglan'....lol
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by keith »

SuzieC wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:29 pm :snippity:

Over my son's Thanksgiving visit, I've watched more soccer (correct name football) ...
Nope. Correct name is Association Football - which has been abbreviated for over 100 years to 'Soccer' before the marketing wonks decided to take it over in the 1980's (Not a misprint). The game was called soccer in the nation that invented it until very recently - it is not a forever tradition to call it football.

There are lots of games called football, but only one is soccer. Soccer doesn't have any more right to the name 'football' than any of the other games do.

The American National Football League plays the game of 'Gridiron Football' - usually abbreviated to 'Football' which is not an attempt to appropriate the name, its just common parlance. 'Gridiron' hasn't really been used for over 100 years.
In Australia they play Australian Rules Football - usually abbreviated to 'Footy'.
Australia also plays Rugby Union (abbreviated to 'Rugby') and Rugby League ('League').

The game being played in the World Cup in Qatar is 'Association Football' - abbreviated for over 100 years as 'Soccer'.

As Association Soccer was attempting to build up its profile in the USA, they decided to place a cachet on their version of the sport in direct opposition to Gridiron. This allowed them to look down on the American game and accuse it of appropriating the term.

The move away from 'Soccer' to 'Football' was 100% a branding exercise.

Soccer or Football: What’s the Correct Name for the Sport?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
neonzx

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by neonzx »

I know "fútbol" is a hard concept for Americans to accept.

Sorry. A kick-off and occasional field goal attempts isn't football. And then they sit on the sideline as commercials run for 50% of the game time. (which is the reason fútbol is not played here on a pro level).

But, you create a great number of Herschel Walkers, America! Brain damaged. :clap:

It's actually a very good game, but there is not enough money in it. (unless you are FIFA)

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”