Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Clinton And Rice with Jon Stewart

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Interesting, maybe?

Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

John Thomas8 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:35 pm Interesting, maybe?

Didn't watch it all, since it's way past my bedtime, but as a current employee of Big Diplomacy, I thoroughly enjoyed the 2/3 of it (30 minutes or so?) I did watch. And will watch the rest tomorrow.

I liked the way the two, even in disagreeing, remained respectful and diplomatic, and where they agreed, it was very firm. Likewise with how the agreed or disagreed with Stewart as the host. It was a true discussion, and the kind of thing Stewart was begging for as far back as the first time he smacked Tucker Carlson and Paul Begala upside the head for Crossfire.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

That's what I want from political discourse.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

It’s how it largely usta be, too also. At least in my memory.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:04 pm It’s how it largely usta be, too also. At least in my memory.
It's my impression it started to die about the same time the "24 hour news cycle" started.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Now that you mention it…
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

... and, I hate to say it, but ESPN has some effect. I thought it was great. I was a total sports addict. In the early days, you could watch replays of the greatest games in history. It was so cool. Sports all day! During the week!

But it meant the quote unquote "news" channels had to do stuff to compete, like the Fox News blonde bimbo lineup. And the 24/7 instillation of fear. That'll get some eyeballs on the tube flat screen.

I have set aside some time to watch this, but I suspect it will depress me some.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:04 pm It’s how it largely usta be, too also. At least in my memory.
It's the natural effect of the QOP spending the last half century teaching their base, that Dems are not the opposition party whose ideas we disagree with, but they are still our countrymen...but they are the enemies of the US...

Marry that with fundie christianity....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Frater I*I wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:03 pm
It's the natural effect of the QOP spending the last half century teaching their base, that Dems are not the opposition party whose ideas we disagree with, but they are still our countrymen...but they are the enemies of the US...

Marry that with fundie christianity....
Goldwater warned us about that.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

I have felt for a long time that the divisiveness in our political discourse is caused by several things. The following list is not in any particular order.

1. The 24 hour cable news networks. Even when there is no news, they have air time to fill, so they put up opinion shows, masquerading as news shows. Remember, Roger Ailes pitched the idea of creating a Republican news network to then-president Richard Nixon. The only reason it didn't happen was that cable TV had not yet reached critical mass. The left-leaning channels (such as MSNBC) are guilty of this, as well.

2. Primary elections. Primaries were not the norm until a couple of generations ago. In primaries, the R's have to run to the extreme right to win the nomination. D's have to run to the left. Then in the general election and when it comes time to actually govern, it is impossible for them to return to the center, where compromise and progress is possible. I firmly believe that we got better candidates and therefore better government from smoke-filled rooms.

3. Rating news shows. Walter Cronkite, Huntley and Brinkely, Eric Severeid and other newsmen (and newswomen) of the era did not worry about ratings. Neilsen did not compile and publish ratings for news shows. Now, news shows must compete for advertising dollars on the same basis (ratings) as the entertainment shows.

4. The internet. I am a retired IT professional, but I am coming to believe that, on balance, the internet is not a benefit. Yes, there are many good things, but it has allowed the crazies to find a national voice that they did not have before.

The lack of civility in politics has been brewing for a long time, but I think that it really took hold with Newt Gingrich's "Republican Revolution".
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Makes me think maybe the Ukrainian people were right to elect a comedian.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Danraft wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:50 pm Makes me think maybe the Ukrainian people were right to elect a comedian.
We could do worse than Al Franken.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

IIRC, Ted Turner regretted ever starting CNN.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”