Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Bill_G, retired, affluence of effluent, and errata

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

bill_g wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:53 am ... unlike the TV detectives, I do not have a legion of spokesmodel molecular biologists with PHd's and a microscope at my disposal.
Exactly. And in order to really put an end to the problems (which is why they hired you), it's going to require a totally different set of skills than you bring to the job, so you should communicate that to whoever hired you ASAP.

Like I added up above, they need to hire a private detective who can set up a few hidden cameras and other types of traps, and then bring you back in after they remove the primary cause. Because you definitely don't want to confront the person, even though I know you have the skills to find who it is. And secondly, you don't want to be held accountable for not fixing the problems, when they keep reoccurring.

And I think you have enough evidence now to go to the right person and say, "Umm ... your problem is a little deeper than we thought it was."
Out from under. :thumbsup:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

That's a shitstorm I'm trying to avoid. We'll have an internal discussion Monday to group-think it. I'm retired. They're the ones that will have to carry this forward, and my guess is they will want more examples before we approach the customer. Forewarned is forearmed. We'll probably approach every service request with an eye towards photo documentation and copious notes of everything.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Day 130 of my retirement, and I'm trying to decide if I wish to continue part time after the first of the year or not. Still up in the air. Haven't quite decided. What will I do with all my tools and test equipment? Manuals? Project books? Files? My not so carefully curated shelves of accumulated useful crap? My little inventions (single purpose doo-dads that are no longer needed like my pocket oscilliscope and my gps comparator)? All my old computers?

Hmmm. Got some congitating to do.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Don't ask me, I still have stuff from when I retired in 2015! I am interested in you pocket oscilloscope. I have some Arkansas Divorce Simplified III books I can send you in exchange. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:32 am Don't ask me, I still have stuff from when I retired in 2015! I am interested in you pocket oscilloscope. I have some Arkansas Divorce Simplified III books I can send you in exchange. :biggrin:
You'll need a working Palm Pilot to get the pocket oscope to work. Sorry to say I have plenty of printed dated door stop and boat anchor material myself. But, thanks for the offer. Perhaps keep them near the fireplace.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Having never married Arkansas, I refuse to divorce it. How come they have a funny pronunciation of their name?

I'd like to buy a vowel, please.

Sure, here's the second S in Arkansas, we like to think of it as a special vowel, a challenged vowel, an imaginary vowel that is definitely not pronounced like an S.

Umm ... :?
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.daytranslations.com/blog/kansas-arkansas/
Why are Kansas and Arkansas Pronounced Differently?

Origin of Kansas and Arkansas
The names of these two neighboring states actually came from two different Native American tribal languages. Located in the southeastern U.S., Arkansas takes its name from the Quapaw tribe. The tribe was know as akansa by the Algonquin people who first informed the French explorers in this area of the Quapaws’ existence. On the other hand, Kansas’ name is derived from the Kansa tribe that once populated this Midwestern region.

Nonetheless, this still does not explain why there is a difference in the pronunciation. Apparently the French explorers and settlers share some of the blame. They named their settlement, Arkansas, the French plural form of the tribe that occupied the region at the time of European settlement. The letter “s” at the end of French words is usually silent. And that explains the pronunciation of which Arkansas. The French used the local name Arkansa to refer to the tribe and its settlement. They utilized the plural term, Arkansas, to denote the members of the tribe and the Arkansas River (la rivière des Arkansas, or “the river of the Arkansa people”).

Same Root Word
Technically speaking, both Arkansas and Kansas are based on the same root. Akká:ze, the name of the Kansa people (technically meaning, “people of the south wind”). The Kansa tribe was honored in the naming of the Kansas River, and the area through which the river ran was called Kansas.

They didn’t standardize the spelling of the word Arkansas for many years. In various historical French books and documents, the name of the state appeared as Arkanceas, Akansa, and Arkancas. According to the Arkansas Historical Association, there is no absolute certainty that the French pronounced the word the same way as the Algonquins did. The English used the word Kansas. But Arkansas originated with the French. And for this reason, they didn’t pronounce the words similarly. The linguistic differences between the two European languages are far too distinct.

Official Recognition
After the formation of the state government of Arkansas, a group of influential people tried to change the pronunciation of the state name to Ar-kan-zus. However, in 1881, the state legislature ruled on the issue. They said that to avoid confusion, they endorsed the use of the “saw” ending. This put an end to any further attempts to change the pronunciation.

Wondering who gave the name Kansas to the other state? The French did that as well. However, the state quickly adopted the English pronunciation instead of the French one.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Thanks. Interesting. More complicated than Penn's Woods.

Have you ever seen the TV series or read the book, How the States Got Their Shapes"? Lots of American history there.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g

Bill_G, retired, resurrected, and on six meds

Post by bill_g »

Day 157 or so of my retirement, and two days after I died. Kind of. I'm back home already because Portland is experiencing a lot of sick people, and I recovered quickly. Kind of. I have a ton of prescriptions and a new oxygen machine at home. Learning how to manage my O2 sats.

Yea me! Still alive.

It's a short horrible story that definitely put skid marks in Mrs drawers Wednesday night / Thursday morning. I'll write out the play by play someday. Still tired. Still adjusting.

:oldman: I ain't dead yet!!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, stick with us. :thumbsup:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Yikes. You've struck me as uber healthy. Must be a shock for you and missus.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Bill_G, retired, resurrected, and on six meds

Post by Kriselda Gray »

bill_g wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:10 am :oldman: I ain't dead yet!!

Good! Glad you're doing better!
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:thumbsup: Yep. Usually better not to be dead.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer

"The report of my death was an exaggeration." - Mark "bill_g " Twain. :biggrin:
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

A few years ago a person died with the same first name and middle initial but last name spelled different as me died.
Hospital reported as my name.
First I knew our doctor called the newborn nursery where my wife works. Wife answered and he asked why she was working, because I died.
Turned into a big deal. Bank canceled my debit card, had to go to hospital and straighten it out because they had me as dead also reopen bank account. Go to ssa and file an affidavit that I wasn’t dead. It was easier to get a passport than straighten all that out.
Partner at work sent boss link to obituary (late notice) in paper. Boss freaked out, (that was funny)
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

:lol: classic, Reddog!
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

I sympathize with Bill G. It’s mostly not fun being dead.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Ogden Nash-

Fossils

At midnight in the museum hall,
The fossils gathered for a ball.
There were no drums or saxophones,
But just the clatter of their bones,
A rolling, rattling, carefree circus
Of mammoth polkas and mazurkas.
Pterodactyls and brontosauruses
Sang ghostly prehistoric choruses.
Amid the mastodonic wassail,
I caught the eye of one small fossil.
Cheer up, sad world, he said, and winked.
It’s kind of fun to be extinct.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Reddog wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:21 am A few years ago a person died with the same first name and middle initial but last name spelled different as me died.
Hospital reported as my name.
First I knew our doctor called the newborn nursery where my wife works. Wife answered and he asked why she was working, because I died.
Turned into a big deal. Bank canceled my debit card, had to go to hospital and straighten it out because they had me as dead also reopen bank account. Go to ssa and file an affidavit that I wasn’t dead. It was easier to get a passport than straighten all that out.
Partner at work sent boss link to obituary (late notice) in paper. Boss freaked out, (that was funny)
You should read the book Catch-22. One of the characters was reported to have been killed in a plane crash but he survived. Then he couldn't convince anyone (including his wife) that he was still alive. The Army was like, well it says right here on this form that you're dead, so... It was pretty funny.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:16 pm
Reddog wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:21 am :snippity:
You should read the book Catch-22. One of the characters was reported to have been killed in a plane crash but he survived. Then he couldn't convince anyone (including his wife) that he was still alive. The Army was like, well it says right here on this form that you're dead, so... It was pretty funny.
Oh, yes. Also “Tom Sawyer” years later Mark Twain sent a message 'The report of my death was an exaggeration'.
It also reminded me of “No Time for Sergeants”, (very first movie I remember seeing), we were at drive-in theater shortly after we moved to town. I thought the plane was actually going to crash into movie screen during one scene, (I was only about 3).
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Reddog wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:33 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:16 pm
Reddog wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:21 am :snippity:
Oh, yes. Also “Tom Sawyer” years later Mark Twain sent a message 'The report of my death was an exaggeration'.
It also reminded me of “No Time for Sergeants”, (very first movie I remember seeing), we were at drive-in theater shortly after we moved to town. I thought the plane was actually going to crash into movie screen during one scene, (I was only about 3).
There was a M*A*S*H episode where Hawkeye used Twain’s quote. The army sent his father a telegram that he’d been killed in the war.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Love the stories. Thanks guys.

COPD exascerbation

So yeah, normally I'm a healthy guy. But last June I got some lung bug that we treated with azithromycin. Seemed to clear out most of it, but something lingered all summer. I treated it with Vicks cold and flu capsules. Then it got worse in October. Another round of azithromycin. Another partial fix. More Vicks OTC. I had an appointment next week with the doc. But, the problem decided it wanted to up it's game earlier than that.

So, Thursday morning 2am, go take a pee, and on the walk back I suddenly couldn't breathe. Nothing. Chest was nailed shut. I'm trying my best to keep my shit together while I find a place to sit down and try to get through this calmly. A bit at a time I can get a tiny amount in and out. I had an inhaler nearby. It came with the second round of antibiotic. I pushed some of that in and let it set.

One little breath after another with intervals of the inhaler to help clear the crap out. Staying concious. Staying focused. I sat in that chair until 4am getting more and more breath before I attempted to find Mrs. She had gotten up earlier and went to another room to watch without bothering me, or having to listen to me snore. But, she usually falls asleep in the chair with a cat in her lap. There was no rousing her across the house by banging the table. I couldn't yell. And I could not get up to walk far either. My legs were feeble like rubber bands. No balance. So, I stayed put another hour. The phone was out of reach. There was nothing I could do but wait, and stay calm.

Mrs got really cranky when I kept motioning her to come over to the chair. She's trying to say good morning, and I'm giving her wierd hand signals. When she finally crossed the rooms and got to my chair, I was able to whisper "I can't breathe". She just about fell through the floor. She's not all that well herself. And now I'm asking her to get me to a hospital. That was quite a trip. She was shaking, and I wasn't certain could keep the car in the lane. But, she swatted my hand back when I tried to help. We got there.

And Kaiser was great. Elapsed time from arrival to first ED was 15 seconds. First doctor in a about two minutes. Respiratory therapist in six. Getting me flattened out in less than a half hour. A scadillion blood draws. Ultrasounds. Poking. IV. Drugs. The crew were on me like flies.

It was an hour before Mrs and I got to catch up. I wasn't about to tell her what happened while we drove. She couldn't hear me anyways. She went through anger, fear, shame, guilt, and all of it in ten seconds. We both cried for a bit glad to still be together. It wasn't supposed to happen this way, though nobody plans their death. You shouldn't choke out coming back from the bathroom in the middle of the night. We both agreed - that's not how it's done. You either die in your sleep, or you go out with some big flames in a grand moment of glory.

Because I had been (past tense) so healthy in the last year, I recovered pretty quickly. The drugs and the regimen seemed to be working perfectly for me. Lungs were clear. I could walk the hall. I could eat. I could go to the bathroom unassisted. And because Portland is so overloaded with covid, flu, and RSV cases, they were super glad to check me out late Friday afternoon to get the bed back. Apria was waiting at our door with an oxygen machine. KP pharmacy sent the drugs over. Nurses gave us follow up calls into the evening.

Barring the initial cause, it was a wonderful experience. Cathartic.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

:thumbsup:

Good to hear!
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

:bighug: :bighug:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”