X -Where Twitter goes to die.

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Twitter (merged with the lawsuit thread)

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Suranis wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:07 pm
Sticking a twitter link under a spoiler tag wont save bandwidth. It still loads "under" the tag and so still uses bandwitch. If you want to stop it using bandwidth you have to put URL tags around it. You can do that by pressing the Image button.

In case MN has me blocked could someone copy this please. Thanks.

I've said this before but I REALLY wish people would just do that and copy and paste the tweet rather than be lazy and post the twitter link. I have a fairly good connection and all I can see is post after post of empty space for up to a couple of minutes.

Part of the problem is that if you just copy and paste the twitter link you are copying all the rest of the crap after the ?, which is all the Big Brother crap whose only function is to give Twitter info. If you cut all that out the links load much faster.

https://twitter.com/GoAngelo/status/158 ... oz71yJUPpQ

Vs

https://twitter.com/GoAngelo/status/1588696159211905025
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to do better for those with slow connections and I appreciate the feedback.

I would never block you. :kiss: I may not always agree with you, but it's good to have your view of things on this forum.

Thanks for reiterating about the junk appended to the twitter link. At least I've been doing that. It's a good thing to know.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Ive been using your suggestion regularly since you first told us.
raison de arizona

Well this is just sad.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

In this episode Musk threatens advertisers that put their spends on hold. Because I’m sure that will make them feel much more comfortable with the direction Twitter is going.
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

raison de arizona wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:27 pm
Survivor guilt is a thing.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:41 pm In this episode Musk threatens advertisers that put their spends on hold. Because I’m sure that will make them feel much more comfortable with the direction Twitter is going.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1588676939463946241
Next up in a future episode: Musk threatens to block the companies Twitter accounts :blackeye:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

769B889C-80F1-49D6-8D0C-6F8CAEC8715D.jpeg
769B889C-80F1-49D6-8D0C-6F8CAEC8715D.jpeg (120.54 KiB) Viewed 798 times
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

E789239A-F6EA-4B44-BBA8-4192DC754D99.jpeg
E789239A-F6EA-4B44-BBA8-4192DC754D99.jpeg (362.97 KiB) Viewed 793 times
Checkmark and all. And currently “restricted.”
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

A Few Good Brands

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Announcement: Starting today, you too can pay $7.99 a month to the world's richest man. :roll: :lol:

For nothing more than you had yesterday, but hey ... you get a blue checkmark on your Twitter username, does it get any better?

Be still, my heart. :bored:
You are what you eat.
Last night I was a chicken quesadilla.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:16 am Announcement: Starting today, you too can pay $7.99 a month to the world's richest man. :roll: :lol:

For nothing more than you had yesterday, but hey ... you get a blue checkmark on your Twitter username, does it get any better?

Be still, my heart. :bored:
For $7.99 a month, you can get a blue checkmark next to your name and be the world's _________est man/woman/nongendered.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Was anyone else other than me surprised to read that Twitter only had 7500 employees? I suppose that's typical for a software/Internet company vs. a manufacturing company to run with fewer employees to generate the same revenue. Of course maybe Twitter isn't really a $44 billion company. ;)
tek

Post by tek »

Reality Check wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:30 am Was anyone else other than me surprised to read that Twitter only had 7500 employees? I suppose that's typical for a software/Internet company vs. a manufacturing company to run with fewer employees to generate the same revenue. Of course maybe Twitter isn't really a $44 billion company. ;)
That actually sounded a little high to me, given what Twitter actually does. Well, I suppose I don't understand the magnitude of curation and moderation.. that probably takes a small army to do correctly (not that twitter does it correctly)
tek

Post by tek »

This is starting to sound like sham-wow pitch..
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Does twitter own and staff its own server farms and the other hardware and resources necessary for them to function on the internet? Or do they contract for those?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

•Priority ranking for quality content: Your content will
get priority ranking in replies, mentions and search.
This helps lower the visibility of scams, spam, and
bots.
Ah, it’s a popularity contest now! Great. THIS is what will make me skedaddle.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

chancery wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:51 am Does twitter own and staff its own server farms and the other hardware and resources necessary for them to function on the internet? Or do they contract for those?
AWS (Amazon Web Services). Twitter ran their own datacenters until a few years ago when they made the switch.
bob

Post by bob »

Musk wrote: •Priority ranking for quality content: Your content will
get priority ranking in replies, mentions and search.
This helps lower the visibility of scams, spam, and
bots.
If only there was a way for the scammers, spammers, and bots to to receive priority ranking for their content. :think:
Image ImageImage
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, sham-wow was better than this. :smoking:
You are what you eat.
Last night I was a chicken quesadilla.
Azastan
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Azastan »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:36 pm
Suranis wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:07 pm
Sticking a twitter link under a spoiler tag wont save bandwidth. It still loads "under" the tag and so still uses bandwitch. If you want to stop it using bandwidth you have to put URL tags around it. You can do that by pressing the Image button.

In case MN has me blocked could someone copy this please. Thanks.

I've said this before but I REALLY wish people would just do that and copy and paste the tweet rather than be lazy and post the twitter link. I have a fairly good connection and all I can see is post after post of empty space for up to a couple of minutes.

Part of the problem is that if you just copy and paste the twitter link you are copying all the rest of the crap after the ?, which is all the Big Brother crap whose only function is to give Twitter info. If you cut all that out the links load much faster.

https://twitter.com/GoAngelo/status/158 ... oz71yJUPpQ

Vs

https://twitter.com/GoAngelo/status/1588696159211905025
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to do better for those with slow connections and I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks for reiterating about the junk appended to the twitter link. At least I've been doing that. It's a good thing to know.

Could all Twitter quoters please read and re-read this and put this suggestion into practice, please?
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

I cut the ? and stuff-that's easy enough to do. Copying and pasting from a phone takes more effort than I have energy. (Mostly grabbing it enough to copy but not enough to tap, etc.)
Azastan
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Azastan »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:08 pm I cut the ? and stuff-that's easy enough to do. Copying and pasting from a phone takes more effort than I have energy. (Mostly grabbing it enough to copy but not enough to tap, etc.)
Perhaps you could just look at it as wanting to reach as many people as possible?
Suranis

Twitter

Post by Suranis »

well you could just copy the link and slap urls tag around it, then paste the text. That will cut off all the loading times and stuff. I realise doing stuff like chopping specific parts of a link off is hard on a phone so I'm not going to be unreasonable.
Hic sunt dracones
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

Azastan wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:18 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:08 pm I cut the ? and stuff-that's easy enough to do. Copying and pasting from a phone takes more effort than I have energy. (Mostly grabbing it enough to copy but not enough to tap, etc.)
Perhaps you could just look at it as wanting to reach as many people as possible?
Yes, but at the same time if it's going to take me two to three minutes and multiple attempts (which it frequently does), I'm just going to reach who I can. Cutting the tracking code is the best I can do.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”