Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Gun Control

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Gun Control

Post by raison de arizona »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:40 pm Is it likely this will be appealed?
IANAL and I have no idea, but my guess would be yes. It will be fruitless however, the Clarence Thomas Supreme Court has already handed down how this should roll, and this court appears to be abiding that. Concealed carry on subways, great! Next up is concealed carry mandatory on airplanes, it's coming.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Gun Control

Post by Kriselda Gray »

That almost makes me glad I can't go anywhere...
Volkonski
Verified:

Gun Control

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Chilidog

Gun Control

Post by Chilidog »

shouldn’t that list also include federal courthouses?
raison de arizona

Gun Control

Chilidog wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:15 pm shouldn’t that list also include federal courthouses?
Rules for thee but not for me.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gregg

Gun Control

Post by Gregg »

Chilidog wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:15 pm shouldn’t that list also include federal courthouses?
Churches, schools, daycare centers and domestic violence counseling centers.

Why not? Hell, let's just make it a law that every able bodied white man over 8 years of age MUST carry a high powered rifle with large capacity magazine at all times.

"...the right to keep and bear man portable anti-aircraft guided missile systems shall not be infringed"
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Dave from down under

Gun Control

Post by Dave from down under »

Personal nukes…
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Gun Control

Post by Frater I*I »

Dave from down under wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:46 pm Personal nukes…
What do you mean "personal"....?

I want a doomsday nuke.....

I'll come in again....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Gregg

Gun Control

Post by Gregg »

I firmly believe I have both the mathematics and manufacturing backgrounds to make a serviceable single stage atomic bomb. I might even, with a few tries, make a successful 3 stage thermonuclear device.

All I need is some uranium 235, plutonium 239, some tritium and a quiet place to work that you won't need for 24,000 years after I'm done.

:explode:

raison de arizona

Gun Control

Eh. I don't find it "head-scratching." It's broken as designed. Ghost guns and scratched off serial numbers are cool now, apparently.
Dave from down under

Gun Control

No reason the person that he just sentenced to life should be denied his 2A right to a loaded firearm in his court room.....
raison de arizona

Gun Control

Dave from down under wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:28 pm No reason the person that he just sentenced to life should be denied his 2A right to a loaded firearm in his court room.....
That's what I'm talking about! Goose, gander and all. If schools aren't allowed to be gun-free zones, then neither should courtrooms. If we're going to do this thing, let's do it.

Right?!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Gun Control

Post by AndyinPA »

https://wapo.st/3ey6Kpd

Gifted article.
n the stories of young shooters, experts say there’s often a disconnect between the lives they lead and the lives they think they should have. But while most people endure such disappointment, these perpetrators appear to have gone through a series of psychological changes that led to their explosions of violence.

Fantasies “of unlimited power and greatness” and an intense desire for admiration is how Frank Robertz, director of the Institute for Violence Prevention and Applied Criminology in Berlin, characterizes one common thread among the perpetrators. Peter Langman, a psychologist who researches school shootings, noted in The Journal of Campus Behavioral Intervention that “the sense of damaged masculinity is common to many shooters and often involves failures and inadequacies.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Gun Control

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Gun Control

Meanwhile, in snowy Canaydia...
Townhall.com @townhallcom wrote: TRUDEAU: "From today forward, it is no longer legal to buy, sell, or transfer a handgun in Canada."
https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/ ... 022-10-21/
raison de arizona

Gun Control

Meanwhile in the US, guns cannot be banned in places of worship.
Jake Charles @JacobDCharles wrote: NEW: Bruen continues to generate maximalist readings of the 2nd Am that freeze gun regs in 1791. The latest is a ruling that NY can't bar guns in places of worship b/c "the State has not met is burden to show endurance over time" of historical analogues.
raison de arizona

Gun Control

Weird how more guns leads to more gun crime. Who would have thought?

Gregg

Gun Control

Post by Gregg »

Let's make it 12 instead. No, better, 8. A kid's hand is mostly able to reach around the grip of a handgun by 8 years old, and who wants to let kids spend every day in the dangerous environment of a school without being properly equipped to defend themselves!

Dave from down under

Gun Control

Gregg wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:14 pm Let's make it 12 instead. No, better, 8. A kid's hand is mostly able to reach around the grip of a handgun by 8 years old, and who wants to let kids spend every day in the dangerous environment of a school without being properly equipped to defend themselves!
That three year old knew how to stand her ground when confronted by that dangerous 1.5 year old!

"Shall not be infringed" - cannot be ageist!
From conception to death unlimited access to guns and more guns is every American's right!!!!!
neeneko

Gun Control

Post by neeneko »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:13 pm Meanwhile in the US, guns cannot be banned in places of worship.
I am wondering how long till there is a real push to overturn the National Firearms Act. After all, it is only a century old, not rooted in 'tradition' at all!
Dave from down under

Gun Control

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-18/ ... /101785880

TSA uncovers more than 6,000 guns at American airports, with 88 per cent loaded

America's Transportation Security Administration is raising the fine for people caught with a gun in their carry-on bag after intercepting a record number of firearms at security checkpoints this year.

Key points:

TSA officers have found 6,301 firearms in carry-on bags so far this year
The maximum fine is being raised to $US14,950 from $US13,910
The TSA will also revoke PreCheck eligibility for at least five years
The maximum fine will go up to $US14,950 ($22,315) from $US13,910 ($20,760).

TSA officers have found 6,301 firearms in carry-on bags so far this year, surpassing the previous record of 5,972 detected in 2021. Of those, 88 per cent were loaded.

The numbers have been increasing steadily over the last decade: in 2012, 1,549 firearms were detected at security checkpoints.

Firearm possession laws vary by location, but guns are never allowed in carry-on bags at any airport security checkpoint, even if a passenger has a concealed-weapon permit.

Passengers transporting firearms must do so in a locked case in checked baggage. They also must declare them to the airline, according to the TSA.
Kendra

Gun Control

Post by Kendra »

Washington Gov. Jay Inslee and Attorney General Bob Ferguson have announced legislative proposals that would prohibit assault weapons, require a permit to purchase a gun, and make gun sellers potentially liable for negligent sales in the state.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Gun Control

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

From Institute for Justice Newsletter -https://ij.org/sc_newsletter/cicero-ben ... erkegaard/

Links to the cases are in the article.
Defense Distributed v. Attorney General of New Jersey:

Fifth Circuit (2020): In a case about the First Amendment right to distribute information about 3D printed firearms, the W.D. Texas erred when it dismissed claims by Defense Distributed and the Second Amendment Foundation against the New Jersey Attorney General for lack of jurisdiction. Fifth Circuit (2022 pt. 1): The W.D. Texas erred again when it severed those claims and transferred them to New Jersey; we can’t order the D.N.J. to send the claims back, so we order the W.D. Texas to request that the claims be transferred back. D.N.J. (2022): No. Fifth Circuit (2022 pt. 2): If you won’t honor the trial court’s request, then we humbly beseech you to honor ours. D.N.J. (2022): Still no. Fifth Circuit (2022 pt. 3): [with barely concealed rage] Ordinarily, these requests are honored in the interest of comity, but there’s nothing we can do.
The District Court of New Jersey's Chief Judge Wolfson wrote the opinion keeping this case as a Consolidated Action to which Texas Plaintiffs never objected. It has EVERY POSSIBLE federal civil procedure rule regarding venue, forum non conveniens, personal jurisdiction, pendent party jurisdiction, and more that I have forgotten, which Judge Wolfson "injected, inspected, detected, infected, neglected and selected" in supporting his order for New Jersey to keep the case.

This is the nightmare case of anyone who has ever taken Civil Procedure. I KNOW it will be in a future textbook and some poor law student will be called upon to explain it to the class. Luckily, Wolfson writes well. No one will ever accuse him of not giving the issues exhaustive treatment.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Gun Control

Post by Ben-Prime »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:39 pm From Institute for Justice Newsletter -https://ij.org/sc_newsletter/cicero-ben ... erkegaard/

The District Court of New Jersey's Chief Judge Wolfson wrote the opinion keeping this case as a Consolidated Action to which Texas Plaintiffs never objected. It has EVERY POSSIBLE federal civil procedure rule regarding venue, forum non conveniens, personal jurisdiction, pendent party jurisdiction, and more that I have forgotten, which Judge Wolfson "injected, inspected, detected, infected, neglected and selected" in supporting his order for New Jersey to keep the case.
Sounds like a Waffle House hash browns order and I am here for that.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Gun Control

Post by keith »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:39 pm From Institute for Justice Newsletter -https://ij.org/sc_newsletter/cicero-ben ... erkegaard/

Fifth Circuit (2020): In a case about the First Amendment right to distribute information about 3D printed firearms, the W.D. Texas erred when it dismissed claims by Defense Distributed and the Second Amendment Foundation against the New Jersey Attorney General for lack of jurisdiction. Fifth Circuit (2022 pt. 1): The W.D. Texas erred again when it severed those claims and transferred them to New Jersey; we can’t order the D.N.J. to send the claims back, so we order the W.D. Texas to request that the claims be transferred back. D.N.J. (2022): No. Fifth Circuit (2022 pt. 2): If you won’t honor the trial court’s request, then we humbly beseech you to honor ours. D.N.J. (2022): Still no. Fifth Circuit (2022 pt. 3): [with barely concealed rage] Ordinarily, these requests are honored in the interest of comity, but there’s nothing we can do.

This is the nightmare case of anyone who has ever taken Civil Procedure. I KNOW it will be in a future textbook and some poor law student will be called upon to explain it to the class. Luckily, Wolfson writes well. No one will ever accuse him of not giving the issues exhaustive treatment.
Yeahbut, is Wolfson blind too?
Has everybody heard about the bird?

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”