Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

COVID Vaccine Mandates

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: COVID Vaccine Mandates

Post by bill_g »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:46 am I like that their new statement says, “other scientific measures to prevent serious illness.” Oh, you mean like… MASKS?!?
Masks?!?

Don't be silly. tut tut
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

bill_g wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:14 am Sounds like judge shopping to me, and that she was well prepared to hand down a favorable decision. This won't be the last we hear from this judge. It's a lifetime appointment. Time to send some guard dogs to keep an eye on her actions.
While litigants get to choose their court, they do not get to choose the judge. It is ordinarily some sort of random assignment. There are 12 federal district judges (including regular judges and those with senior status) located in Tampa. The Middle District of Florida also has judges sitting in Orlando, Fort Myers and Jacksonville, for a total of 28 judges - it is a busy district.

I am aware of one instance where a relatively prominent law firm filed seven virtually identical cases in order to maximize the chance of getting the judge it wanted. One of the cases landed before the preferred judge, and the law firm dismissed the cases assigned to other judges without ever serving the other party. The court figured it out, and the law firm was in a heap of trouble.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Forgive this IANAL question, but I was under the impression that rulings made by Federal District Court judges only applied to the judge's own district. That is, unless and until the ruling is reviewed and upheld by an Appellate court or SCOTUS.

So how does a freshman district court judge get to make a ruling that affects the entire nation?

Is it because her district includes Atlanta, where the CDC is headquartered?
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

bill_g wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:14 am Time to send some guard dogs to keep an eye on her actions.
I vote for Cerberus....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Frater I*I wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:21 pm
bill_g wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:14 am Time to send some guard dogs to keep an eye on her actions.
I vote for Cerberus....
In that case I vote for Medusa. Problem solved.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I am glad they are asking the DOJ to appeal and I am glad that the DOJ left it up to the CDC to make that call. We spend so much time upset that the Trump admin and certain governors would not listen to the scientists. We need to make sure that we listen to them now even if they don't have the answer we might want to hear. If listening to science then was the right thing to do, then we need to do it now.

Luckily, mask optional means just that. I can, and will in almost all cases, wear a mask when in groups, especially indoors (and should I be on Public trans and the 11th does not overturn the ruling).
101010 :towel:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Public transit today: masks on all but a handful.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/co ... e/3215161/
Philadelphia's indoor mask mandate is coming to an end.

"Due to decreasing hospitalizations and a leveling of case counts, the City will move to strongly recommending masks in indoor public spaces as opposed to a mask mandate," a spokesperson with the Philadelphia Health Department told NBC10 Thursday night. "Given the latest data, the BOH voted to rescind the mandate."

The mandate will be lifted on Friday.
I'm not so sure how good an idea this is. The numbers are higher there than here in Pittsburgh. There is no indoor mask mandate here, but the numbers, while still low, are going up. We went from 400+ two weeks ago to 900+ last week, to 1200+ this week.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I think more governments are looking toward hospitalization rates now and less at infection rates. While that also looks to be going up slightly in Allegheny county, it is still really low.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

northland10 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:52 pm I think more governments are looking toward hospitalization rates now and less at infection rates. While that also looks to be going up slightly in Allegheny county, it is still really low.
Yes, it is. And they are not looking at infection rates as much as testing waste water to see where we are heading, not where we've been. I'm okay with that. I get a call and an email every Thursday that gives all that information, and I keep track of it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Post by Lani »

Water testing isn't happening in Hawaii, not until December. :mad: Nonetheless, numbers are rising here.

I flew to Honolulu today. Hawaiian Air personnel & TSA workers wore masks. Few flyers wore them while checking in. (Open areas, very breezy.) Once lines formed, more people used them. In the enclosed waiting area, almost all wore a mask. On the plane, close to 100%. However, there was a musician apparently traveling w/family and entourage. Didn't recognize him. Most of his group didn't wear a mask.

I had several appointments and used Uber to get around. 4 trips. Uber requires masks, which is fine with me. One driver told me he was adamant that a mask be worn. One wore a mask, but told me he wouldn't get into a fight with a passenger. The other two said they would wear a mask if the passenger wanted him to.

One of my appointments was about getting a back brace to help limit the pain. NO ONE wore a mask.

On the way home, I wore my mask. The older gentleman next to me did not. However, I passed out/napped with my head on his shoulder. So I can't complain about him since he put up with me. :oopsy:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

My (highly vaccinated mind-controlled) county:
% Staffed inpatient beds in use by patients with confirmed COVID-19 1.4%
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions- ... sking.html
Does a Face Mask Work if You’re the Only Person Wearing One?
Universal masking is best, but one-way masking still protects wearer from COVID-19

The answer: It’s “absolutely safer to wear a mask, regardless if those around you are not wearing one,” says Brandon Brown, M.D., an associate professor in the Department of Social Medicine, Population and Public Health at University of California Riverside School of Medicine. That said, the level of safety and protection depends on the type of mask you wear and how you wear it, experts say.

Focus on fit of face mask
Fit is key, however. Even a high-quality mask doesn’t do much good if unfiltered air seeps in because it’s too loose. You want to make sure the mask completely covers your nose and mouth and that there are no gaps along the edges.

To test your fit, breathe in. If the mask collapses slightly, “that tells you that there's a tight-enough seal around your face, and that essentially all the air that you're breathing in is going through the filter part of the mask and not coming in through the edges,” Fabian says.

When you exhale, you shouldn’t see any condensation on your glasses. (You can use a cold spoon that’s been in the fridge for a few minutes to do this test if you don’t wear glasses.) “Because similarly, the air should just be coming out through the filter and not through gaps around your nose,” Fabian says.

Don’t have an N95 mask? Check to see if your local pharmacy is distributing them for free under a federal program. (The CDC has a free-mask locator online; you can also call 800-232-0233.) A word of warning: Beware of counterfeit masks being sold online, UC Riverside’s Brown says. The CDC maintains a list of N95 masks approved by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, as well as examples of counterfeit versions.
Mea culpa for 5 paras.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Mask mandate appeal has been filed, read it here:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Masking is being reinstated for some venues here. The Cultural Trust is now requiring masks again for all performances, and may soon require vaccination cards again. Generally, saying they are following CDC guidelines, masking indoors again is suggested since we entered high transmission status. The Pittsburgh Public Schools went back to mandatory masks as soon as we went to medium transmission two weeks ago. I am seeing more people wearing masks again.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

COVID Vaccine Mandates

Post by raison de arizona »

Grain of salt, she's a J6 rwnj lawyer and I haven't read the decision yet, but... Crap.
Marina Medvin 🇺🇸 @MarinaMedvin wrote: 🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
NY State Supreme Court reinstates all fired unvaccinated employees, orders backpay, says the state violated rights, acted arbitrary & capricious, notes:“Being vaccinated does not prevent an individual from contracting or transmitting Covid-19.”
https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/fbem/D ... 602301fc36

The Covid vax demand and subsequent firing has turned out to be a very costly authoritarian oopsie for NY Democrats.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MN-Skeptic

COVID Vaccine Mandates

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Just an FYI - New York names their courts differently than other states. Per Ballotpedia -
The Supreme Court of the State of New York includes 62 courts—one supreme court for each county. These courts are the highest trial courts in New York State, and are of general jurisdiction.

The New York Supreme Courts are not New York's courts of last resort. The Court of Appeals is the highest court in New York.
noblepa

COVID Vaccine Mandates

Post by noblepa »

So, WHICH New York Supreme Court issued this ruling, NYC, Albany, Schenectady? Is NY like other jurisdictions, where a local court ruling only applies to that court's territory, until the Court of Appeals makes auli rng affirming or reversing the lower court.
sugar magnolia

COVID Vaccine Mandates

Post by sugar magnolia »

noblepa wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:44 am So, WHICH New York Supreme Court issued this ruling, NYC, Albany, Schenectady? Is NY like other jurisdictions, where a local court ruling only applies to that court's territory, until the Court of Appeals makes auli rng affirming or reversing the lower court.
The header on the tweeted document says Richmond.
Gupwalla

COVID Vaccine Mandates

Post by Gupwalla »

noblepa wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:44 am So, WHICH New York Supreme Court issued this ruling, NYC, Albany, Schenectady? Is NY like other jurisdictions, where a local court ruling only applies to that court's territory, until the Court of Appeals makes auli rng affirming or reversing the lower court.
Richmond County - Staten Island.

This is a local NYC case about local NYC policies and enforcement actions.

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”