Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Fat Bear Week 2022 at Katmai National Park in Alaska

LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Today's semi-final results:

Youngster 901 beat 128 (aka Grazer).

901 is only 6 years old. She's not fully grown. She has another 2-4 years before she will reach her adult size. She's going to be a very, very big girl. Some views saw her being courted during mating season. Maybe spring cubs?*

Screenshot_20221007-020907_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221007-020907_Chrome.jpg (244.98 KiB) Viewed 2931 times

Grazer is a force of nature. She isn't afraid of anything. If any bear gets too close to her cubs, she launches herself at it. She's seriously injured other bears who got too close to her cubs. I saw her launch herself at a male that simply glanced in the direction of her cubs.

Everyone is afraid of Grazer. She runs the park. In the below video, she's going after 747, one of the world's largest bears.

Grazer has 2 cubs right now. She's huge, even after sharing 1/2 of her catch with her 2 cubs. Her cubs are huge, too. It will be interesting to see how big she gets next year, when she's emancipated her cubs and all the fishies are hers.

Screenshot_20221006-185502_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221006-185502_Chrome.jpg (262.51 KiB) Viewed 2931 times

*Interesting bear fact. Females undergo delayed implantation. Mating season is from mid-May through July. Fertilized eggs don't implant until Nov.

Bears have 1-4 cubs when they do get pregnant. Maternal fertility is shaped by a sows fat reserve. Embryos won't implant if the sow isn't fat enough. The size of a litter is determined by how fat a sow is when implantation occurs.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

This is a fun thread, LM K!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:like:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
LM K

Post by LM K »

It's the final day of voting for Fat Bear 2022!!

747 (aka Bearforce One) is the projected winner today. But will he be able to stand up to the pressure? His knees could buckle from his sheer ginormousness at any second. Let's hope he's not a stress eater!!

But can youngster 901 handle the tremendous weight of responsibility that comes with being Fat Bear 2022? I don't think 901 was spotted yesterday. Did she go into her den and pull the covers over her head? Will her need to win trump her salmon obsession? We simply do not know. This is her first Fat Bear Week competition. We don't know what her coping mechanisms are. We hope she's not yelling at cubs, telling them to pipe down and to get away from her yard. She's too young for such lashing out, but one never knows.

I'm quite torn over whom to vote for. 747 is perhaps larger than most dinosaurs. But 901 isn't yet fully grown.

Anyway, here are videos showing both contestants workout program for 2022.

747:

Sept 5, 2022

Sept 17, 2022

Oct 1, 2021

901:

Sept 23, 2022

Oct 7, 2022

Sept 5, 2021
LM K

Post by LM K »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:08 am This is a fun thread, LM K!
I'm so glad that you're enjoying it! I'm having so much fun with Fat Bear Week!

Last night I submitted my follow-up application to be a live-cam operator and/or live-chat mod next season!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:mad:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
LM K

Post by LM K »

I apologize for being so late with my report on the winner of Fat Bear Week 2022.

THE WINNER OF FAT BEAR WEEK 2022 IS:

747!

:cheer2: :cheer1: :cheer2: :cheer1: :cheer2:

There was a large afterparty to celebrate 747's second win for the title of Fat Bear.

I didn't know this (though I suspected this): 747 is a bit of a drama king. There are strict party rules for parties at Katmai. Cubs are always served first.

504's cubs decided to pull one last prank for the week. (Dear god we hope it's the last prank.)

504's cubs managed to steal all 1600 pounds of salmon ice cream. ALL. OF IT. We at Katmai are trying to figure out how 2 cubs pulled this off. We suspect they bamboozled cubs 910jr (Ms. Bean) and her cousin 909jr (Ms. Bead) into helping them. 909jr and 910jr are quite naive.

Once all of the cubs were served, it was 747's turn to plate up. We offered 747 200 pounds of ... trout ice cream.

747 was furious. He'd worked 4.5 long months fishing to win this competition. Most bears eat approximately 30 salmon per day. 747 ate 45 salmon most days. That's hard work!

747 upturned every Costco size pallet of cake and ice cream. He was too angry to roar. He eyed the cub play area in the corner of the room. Thankfully, 747 noticed that bear 128 (Grazer) was ready to Grazer him*. 747 huffed and stormed out of the meeting hall. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief. (It will take 4 weeks to repair the structural damage 747 caused to the meeting hall.)

We last saw 747 digging his den. It's a bit early for him to hibernate, but no one is willing to talk him down and encourage him to go back to the river.

*Yes, getting "grazered" is a real thing. I shared this video previously, but here it is again. The video pic is of Grazer grazering 747 last summer. Notice the sheer terror on 747's face?

LM K

Post by LM K »

I have been accepted as a live cam operator for Explore.org. The organization is part of the Annenberg Foundation.

I start the tech part of training this week. Once I complete training, I'll work on Panda cam and a second animal cam.

I did tell the woman in charge of live cam training that I don't want cams that show gorey hunting. No Lion, Tiger, or Shark cam for this woman. She was just fine with that.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:thumbsup: *****

eta one star * sneaked in from the screen keyboard. that's too little, so we will add a few more
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Cool, LM_K!!!!!! :mbounce:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh that's awesome, LM K! :thumbsup:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Congrats!!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:mbounce:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

LM K! Good on ya!

:bunny: :cheer2: :cheer1: :superhero:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

LM K wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:00 pm I have been accepted as a live cam operator for Explore.org. The organization is part of the Annenberg Foundation.

I start the tech part of training this week. Once I complete training, I'll work on Panda cam and a second animal cam.

I did tell the woman in charge of live cam training that I don't want cams that show gorey hunting. No Lion, Tiger, or Shark cam for this woman. She was just fine with that.
So whatya got against bamboo? Were you beaten with a bamboo cane?

After watching the Convoy lounging around, grazing on seasonally available food, migrating, fighting for dominance, displaying, mating, etc., you have exactly the required experience!

Enjoy it!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

LM K wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:00 pm The organization is part of the Annenberg Foundation.
Those who are long in the tooth here at Fogbow :oldman: remember that alleged fake imaginary President Obama was deeply involved in something something something Annenberg blah blah blah. I searched and there are five pages of posts that get returned if you search Formerly Fogbow for the term "Annenberg". What I'm saying is ...

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I wonder if LM K is still involved in Fat Bear Week 2023?

October 4-10 this year.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:06 pm I wonder if LM K is still involved in Fat Bear Week 2023?

October 4-10 this year.
I think she operates cameras for Explore.org's Katmai cameras, so she's involved year round. Those cameras are all hand operated, maybe not 24 hours per day, but during most of the day someone is actually moving the cameras purposefully to follow the action.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Oh, thanks for the reminder. I have not been going there as often. I need a good calming distraction.

Well, I may not participate in the actual fat bear week stuff, just like I don't usually do football picks, but I can watch fat bears.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2 ... ek-winner/
Grazer is the third sow, or female bear, to win the tournament. She joins Holly, who won in 2019, and 2018 winner 409 “Beadnose,” who is believed to have died.

“The girls did really well this year,” said Naomi Boak, a media ranger at Katmai National Park and Preserve. “It was the year of the sow.”

With her blonde ears and bodacious bod, Grazer has built a reputation for being a warrior mother, quick to challenge any of the top bears at Brooks River to protect her family. That behavior led fans to turn her name into a verb (“Grazered”). The mighty mom is so beloved, even her “Grazerette” babies are famous among the Explore.org live cam-watching community.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”