Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

X -Where Twitter goes to die.

neeneko

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by neeneko »

'X' app?

First rule of creating new products or applications in the modern era : name them something that can be googled.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by RTH10260 »

"creating X, the everything app"

Doesn't that already have a name - Facebook and associated stuff ?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by Foggy »

If by an X App, he means an overarching social media app that will be so popular it will become the only app anyone uses, replacing even the telephone, then buying Twitter is a metaphysically absurd decision, because the X App will need to be open source, and free, and Twitter will lose its value.

But he can always claim he meant something else. :shrug:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RTH10260

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by RTH10260 »

PS. such stuff has become famous under the moniker of Bloatware :twisted:
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by Ben-Prime »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:08 pm PS. such stuff has become famous under the moniker of Bloatware :twisted:
He should lean into his Bond Villain reputation and call the suite 'Ernst Stavro Bloatware'.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
neeneko

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by neeneko »

Foggy wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:36 am If by an X App, he means an overarching social media app that will be so popular it will become the only app anyone uses, replacing even the telephone, then buying Twitter is a metaphysically absurd decision, because the X App will need to be open source, and free, and Twitter will lose its value.

But he can always claim he meant something else. :shrug:
Ah, but the Randian dream is to have it be the only app, closed source, and owned by a single ubermensch.
bob

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by bob »

The article (and headline) overstate a bit: some funders are bailing.

Whether that will significantly hamper Musk's ability to gather the $44B remains to be seen.
Image ImageImage
RTH10260

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by RTH10260 »

Some other sources w/o link think that financiers want themselves better conditions in a market with rising interest rates.
Suranis

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by Suranis »

If he knows his investors are bailing, that might be why he agreed to go through with it. So he can say, hand on heart, that he no longer has the money, so he cant. Too bad so sad really meant to. No idea if he would get away with that, of course.

As an aside, I think Urban Dictionary has the perfect phrase to describe this guy. Why people got so enraptured by him is a total mystery to me.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... it+volcano
Shit volcano

May be used to describe a person or object that spews out excesses of crap in verbal or physical form.

Word derives from a combination of the relatively harmless cuss shit and volcano; which until just recently wasn't considered quite as negative a word as it currently is (post Icelandic volcano ash cloud malarkey).
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by raison de arizona »

Interesting, learn something everyday. Anyway, Musk totally is a shit volcano.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Musk lawyers say Twitter refusing new $44B bid for company

Elon Musk’s lawyers said Thursday that Twitter is refusing to accept the Tesla billionaire’s renewed $44 billion bid for the social media company and are asking a Delaware court to halt an upcoming trial.

Musk made a renewed offer to take over to company earlier this week, hoping to end a protracted legal dispute that began when Musk tried to back out of the April deal and Twitter sued.

Representatives for Twitter did not immediately respond to messages for comment.

Twitter said earlier this week that it intends to close the deal at the agreed-upon price, but the two sides are still booked for an Oct. 17 trial in Delaware over Musk’s earlier attempts to terminate the deal. On Wednesday, the judge presiding over the case said she will continue to press on toward the trial because, at the time, neither side had formally moved to stop it.

Musk’s attorneys said the trial should be adjourned to leave more time for Musk to secure the financing.

“Twitter will not take yes for an answer,” said the court filing signed by Musk attorney Edward Micheletti. “Astonishingly, they have insisted on proceeding with this litigation, recklessly putting the deal at risk and gambling with their stockholders’ interests.”
:snippity:
https://apnews.com/article/elon-musk-tw ... 567a2e5256
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by RTH10260 »

:think: could it be, that with investors reportedly backing out, Twitter does not believe in Elon Musks declarations and wants to make sure the law suit sticks around just in case ?
raison de arizona

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:29 pm :think: could it be, that with invetors reportedly backing out, Twitter does not believe in Elon Musks declarations and wants to make sure the law suit sticks around just in case ?
That was my thought as well. Musk is scrambling to put together his financing.
Volkonski
Verified:

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Chilidog

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by Chilidog »

Twitter:. "Show me the money!"

Now, on the eve of trial, Defendants declare they intend to close after all. 'Trust us,' they say, 'we mean it this time,' and so they ask to be relieved from a reckoning on the merits," Twitter wrote in a filing that opposed Musk's motion to stay the trial. "To justify that relief, they propose an order that allows them an indefinite time to close on the basis of a conditional withdrawal of their unlawful notices of termination coupled with an explicit reservation of all 'claims and defenses in the event a closing does not occur.' Defendants' proposal is an invitation to further mischief and delay."
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/202 ... lls-judge/
RVInit

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by RVInit »

Well, I guess we may have to put up with Trump, the hate groups, serious disinformation, and doxing back on Twitter after all. I sure as hell hope the buyout falls through. It probably won't.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by Foggy »

We'll see. :smoking:

The judge stayed the trial only until October 28, at 5 pm. afc

If the deal isn't complete, trial in November.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RVInit

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by RVInit »

Would the trial stop him from buying? When he buys Twitter all the vile hatred, the main insurrectionist and all the poo spewers will be back on spreading misinformation, hatred, and encouraging civil war.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Suranis

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by Suranis »

That's what the Racists and their twitter sockpuppets seem to think, but I wouldn't bet my life on that. All Musk said was that he didn't think they should have banned trump, and the right wingers put 2 and 2 together and got 5 million.

Twitter still has its legal obligations regardless of its owner. It's just as vulnerable to being sued or fined. Musk would only have limited ability to overwrite that even if he wanted to.

Which he probably does not. He's full of shit. And even better he will say anything to get people yapping about his ass.
Hic sunt dracones
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by Ben-Prime »

Like TFG, Muskie is a Chaos Demon. In his case, he tries to foment chaos to roil markets and leverage social media clout so that he can roil them further, or direct flying monkeys at his enemies to further foment chaos to further roil markets, etc.

Why? He is at the level of absurd wealth where until and unless he does something which pins him in a corner, he makes money whichever way the roiling market lands. In this case, unfortunately, he is dealing with an organization which also has enough wealth to burn such that it has tangled him in the court system, and pinned at least one of his arms; and he is trying to flail wildly to free the other or convince bird site to let go. Or it will end up like the parable of Nasruddin and he will teach the damn horse to fly (the version mentioned at the link was about singing, but when I learned story as an undergraduate, 35 years ago, the one I learned was about teaching the horse to fly, and I've used it in my work-life regularly ever since that way and I prefer the mental image in that).

This teach-the-horse-to-sing/fly mentality is also how Trump works, as we all know. It is also why their fan clubs are heavy in the intersection.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
KickahaOta

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by KickahaOta »

If you're looking for a silver lining:

Throwing the Twitter moderation floodgates wide open would tank the userbase, tank the advertising revenue, and tank the value of the company.
Maybe you think that Elon would be okay with that. I doubt it, but let's assume it for the moment.
But Elon's gone scrounging for a lot of financing to make this deal work (assuming that it works).
It's highly, highly unlikely that all of those financiers would also be perfectly content with the value of their investment plummeting.
There would be lawsuits. Oh, the lawsuits.
RTH10260

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Kanye West’s Instagram and Twitter accounts locked over antisemitic posts
The rapper has also drawn heavy criticism for donning a ‘white lives matter’ T-shirt during Paris fashion week

Sam Levine in New York
Sun 9 Oct 2022 20.58 BST

Kanye West has now had both his Instagram and Twitter accounts locked after antisemitic posts over the weekend.

Twitter locked his account Sunday after it removed one of West’s tweets saying he was going “death con 3 On JEWISH PEOPLE” because it violated the service’s policies against hate speech.

“I’m a bit sleepy tonight but when I wake up I’m going death con 3 On JEWISH PEOPLE The funny thing is I actually can’t be Anti Semitic because black people are actually Jew also You guys have toyed with me and tried to black ball anyone whoever opposes your agenda,” he tweeted on Saturday in a series of messages. The tweet has since been removed and West’s account locked.

“The account in question has been locked due to a violation of Twitter’s policies,” a spokesperson for the platform told BuzzFeed News.

The social media company Meta also restricted West’s Instagram account after the rapper made an antisemitic post on Friday in which he appeared to suggest the rapper Diddy was controlled by Jewish people, an antisemitic trope, NBC News reported.

The controversial rapper who legally changed his name to Ye recently drew heavy criticism for donning a “white lives matter” T-shirt during Paris fashion week. He also dressed models in the shirt containing the phrase that the Anti-Defamation League considers a “hate slogan”.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... itic-posts
Suranis

Twitter

Post by Suranis »

I know I'm being stupidly pedantic, but its "Defcon 3." The guy is as ignorant as he is dumb.
Hic sunt dracones
neeneko

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by neeneko »

KickahaOta wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:54 pm Throwing the Twitter moderation floodgates wide open would tank the userbase, tank the advertising revenue, and tank the value of the company.
Maybe you think that Elon would be okay with that. I doubt it, but let's assume it for the moment.
But Elon's gone scrounging for a lot of financing to make this deal work (assuming that it works).
It's highly, highly unlikely that all of those financiers would also be perfectly content with the value of their investment plummeting.
Or we can expect a major, well funded push for making it illegal to not do business with companies because of their 'conservative' content.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by Luke »

KickahaOta wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:54 pm If you're looking for a silver lining:

Throwing the Twitter moderation floodgates wide open would tank the userbase, tank the advertising revenue, and tank the value of the company.
Absolutely. If they try to turn Twitter into Pravda Social, GAB, GRFTR, or the other low energy all MAGAt services, everyone else will leave. There's already plenty of places for MAGAts to impotently scream into their echo chamber. No way will Elon's investors let the company get tanked by having the tiny screaming minority of racists, losers and bigots drive everyone to leave.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”