Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Post Roe Abortion Problems

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Re: Post Roe Abortion Problems

Post by Slim Cognito »

This is going to piss you off.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/09/health/a ... index.html
Once a 'quintessential pro-life Texan,' she had to flee her home state to get an abortion

...The couple opted for abortion, driving 10 hours to a clinic in New Mexico. The procedure and travel cost $3,500. They hoped their insurance would cover the procedure, but Texas law strictly limits abortion coverage, and the clinic told them their insurance company declined to pay.

The DeSpains didn't have enough money -- Kailee said she was docked pay at work because she'd had too many sick days -- so Cade asked a relative he describes as "the epitome of the Trump fanboy" to give them the $3,500. The relative relented when Cade said that without the abortion, he could end up a widower at age 30.
Kailee said her doctors told her they could give her an abortion only if she were at imminent risk of dying -- essentially, if she were " 'dying on the table.' "
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Post Roe Abortion Problems

Post by raison de arizona »

:mad:
Kailee says that the last time she saw her obstetrician, she advised her not to get pregnant in Texas.

"She said 'this is not safe,' " Kailee remembers. " She said, 'I need you to look at me. I need you to understand that if you get pregnant in Texas and that if you have complications, that I cannot intervene until I can prove that you're going to die.' "
Also, I would hate to be a doctor in Texas. I would move, the risks there are just to high.
If a physician is found in violation of the law, the punishments can be severe: heavy fines, loss of their medical license and a possible life sentence in prison.

Plus, citizens can file lawsuits against physicians they think have performed an illegal abortion, and if they win, they can get a $10,000 reward. If the citizen is wrong and the doctor wins the lawsuit, the doctor still has to pay their own legal fees, as Texas law specifically forbids doctors from recouping fees from plaintiffs.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://apnews.com/article/abortion-hea ... 1ea93cdc35
Planned Parenthood officials on Monday announced plans for a mobile abortion clinic — a 37-foot RV that will stay in Illinois but travel close to the borders of adjoining states that have banned the procedure since the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade earlier this year.

The announcement came 100 days after the Supreme Court ruling that stripped away constitutional protections for abortions, allowing states to ban the procedure. Illinois didn’t institute an abortion ban, but neighboring Missouri, Kentucky and Tennessee did, along with several other states in the South and Midwest.

As a result, both abortion clinics on the Illinois side of the St. Louis region, including one operated by Planned Parenthood in Fairview Heights, have been inundated with patients. Leaders of the St. Louis Planned Parenthood office said that since June, the Fairview Heights clinic has seen a 30% increase in abortion patients — a rate officials said was even higher than they anticipated. Patients from outside Missouri and Illinois increased by more than 340%.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Don't get pregnant in Texas because you might die. That's a huge selling point for any companies, individuals, or educated people thinking of moving to Texas. :sarcasm:
raison de arizona

I'm not going to go hunt it down, it pissed me off so bad that I closed the tab yesterday. But- In AZ, home of the draconian 1864 abortion law, pharmacists (Walgreens in the specific instance I read) are refusing to give any drug that can cause a miscarriage to women of child bearing age. Enter a 14yo rheumatoid arthritis sufferer, who has been on methotrexate for two years. Prior to that, she was unable to walk and had to use a wheel chair. Since she's been on it, she is now fully mobile and attending school for the first time in quite awhile. Enter the 19th century and Walgreens, she gets dennied on her methotrexate because as a side effect, it can cause miscarriages. That's because it's basically a chemo drug. Nothing you want to be on if you don't have to. I was on it for an auto-immune disorder and I couldn't hack it, I was puking all the time. Anyway, welcome to the 1860s folks. Too bad she isn't a 14yo boy, then she wouldn't have had any trouble.

Coda: The doctor found a pharmacist willing to take the chance against a five year prison sentence and filled it for her.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Annrc
Verified:

Post by Annrc »

It takes heroes with ethics. Unbelievable.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Boycott Walgreen's. That is evil personified to endanger the life of a 14 year old girl because she might hypothetically some day produce a child. I can't stand all of this shit.
raison de arizona

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

The abortion thing.
Look, no one is for seeing more abortions.
But the only proven method of having less abortions is to have contraception widely available.
Take away legal abortions (1st trimester), and more will try illegal (coat hanger, etc bs) and the cost is too societally high.
Every country that has made abortions illegal has more abortions.
Why? Because it is always followed up with making contraception illegal.
The current US situation is likely to do that.
The messaging should be that the only proven way to have less abortions is to have contraception.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Ol' Wifehorn was called by a Republican push-poll yesterday. Asked about her most important issues, she had to wait a long time for abortion to be listed - they gave her seven other issues before they finally offered that as an option. :mad:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Today someone on CNN was pushing the inflation inflation inflation meme. He insisted polls show people don’t care about abortion, it’s way down on their list of priorities. I don’t know if that’s true or not but I know I had to turn the radio off because I couldn’t listen to it.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, and push-polls like the one ol' Wifehorn got are part of it. The poll listed inflation as the number one issue, and didn't offer abortion as an issue until after seven other options. Ol' Wifehorn said she had to wait a long time to choose that as her number one issue, but a lot of people will just go with something that doesn't require a long wait.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-AA12Jk04
New Hampshire GOP Senate nominee Don Bolduc told supporters this week that he thinks the future of abortion rights “belongs” to Republican “gentlemen” state lawmakers, who he claims know best how to give women a voice on their reproductive rights.

During a Wednesday night town hall in Auburn, New Hampshire, Bolduc, a retired Army brigadier general, weighed in on whether he thinks abortion rights should be decided at the state level or the federal level.

“It belongs to the state. It belongs to these gentlemen right here, who are state legislators representing you,” Bolduc said, motioning to at least two Republican state representatives in the room, Jason Osborne and Jess Edwards.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... h-control/
The Supreme Court decision overturning the constitutional right to abortion is revealing the growing influence of Catholic health systems and their restrictions on reproductive services including birth control and abortion — even in the diminishing number of states where the procedure remains legal.

Catholic systems now control about 1 in 7 U.S. hospital beds, requiring religious doctrine to guide treatment, often to the surprise of patients. Their ascendancy has broad implications for the evolving national battle over reproductive rights beyond abortion, as bans against it take hold in more than a dozen Republican-led states.

The Catholic health-care facilities follow directives from the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops that prohibit treatment it deems “immoral”: sterilization including vasectomies, postpartum tubal ligations and contraception, as well as abortion. Those policies can limit treatment options for obstetric care during miscarriages and ectopic pregnancies, particularly in the presence of a fetal heartbeat.

“The directives are not just a collection of dos and don’ts,” said John F. Brehany, executive vice president of the National Catholic Bioethics Center and a longtime consultant to the conference of bishops. “They are a distillation of the moral teachings of the Catholic church as they apply to modern health care.” As such, he said, any facility that identifies as Catholic must abide by them.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Do I get to decide his reproductive rights? I got a nice sharp butcher knife handy.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

I dislike his usage of "moral teachings of the Catholic Church."

Morality should cast a wide net to be as inclusive as possible.

It would have been better to say, "the teachings of the tenets/beliefs/dogma of the Catholic Church."

Don't push your morality upon me, and I won't push mine onto you. Capisce?
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

I think it's worth keeping in mind that, since 1973 when abortion became legal, the medical technology of abortion has made quantum leaps. In the bad old days, the medical procedure had hardly changed from the beginning of the century and was an ugly and cumbersome procedure even in hospitals. Since 1973 safer and more efficient methods have been enabled, and the women are much safer for it. Even out-of-hospital abortions are now much improved. Locking away all that medical progress and reviving 19th century prohibitions is very destructive.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/9 ... e-deserted
By ship, drone, or bulletproof van: Persecuted patients in abortion-banning states won't be deserted

Very few people within the United States have heard about “abortion boats,” but that will likely change. A group called Women on Waves, founded by a Dutch doctor named Rebecca Gomperts over 20 years ago, has treated countless patients from various nations where abortion remains illegal. While serving as a ship’s doctor for Greenpeace, Dr. Gomperts kept witnessing women suffering from miscarriages, botched abortions, or being forced to carry through with nonviable pregnancies. She acquired a vessel so she could legally perform emergency abortions in international waters.

Dr. Gomperts is supporting a current effort by Dr. Amy Autry, an OB-GYN in San Francisco, who got a similar idea from watching the gambling boats on the Mississippi River. Her plan is to provide what will essentially be a floating abortion clinic nine miles offshore in the Gulf of Mexico to service patients from Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi. Dr. Autry told Daily Kos that she has been forced to accelerate her plans now that the Supreme Court has overturned Roe v. Wade.

It isn’t just ships: activists are determined to provide medical care for oppressed women in red states by land, sea, air, or cyberspace. There is a group providing bulletproof mobile abortion clinics that patrol red states’ borders. There are “underground railroad” networks that offer transportation, shelter, and even funding to Southern patients. There are prescriptions that can be ordered and delivered by U.S. mail or, in some cases, even by aerial drones. While right-wing legislators are busy assaulting their own citizens, brave souls are risking a lot to provide the care needed. Let’s learn about a few of them and see what we can do to help their efforts.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Not sure where to put this but this seems to be as good a place as any:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/ ... e9cf5016a9

Nothing like cherry-picking some canonical treatise from Henry I's reign in the Twelfth Century and calling it case law. And the Supremes wonder why we plebs do not have any confidence in their court?

Nothing like changing history to fit your narrative.

And shame on the three dissensions that never pointed out this manipulation of these ancient works.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

Fortinbras wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:24 pm I think it's worth keeping in mind that, since 1973 when abortion became legal, the medical technology of abortion has made quantum leaps. In the bad old days, the medical procedure had hardly changed from the beginning of the century and was an ugly and cumbersome procedure even in hospitals. Since 1973 safer and more efficient methods have been enabled, and the women are much safer for it. Even out-of-hospital abortions are now much improved. Locking away all that medical progress and reviving 19th century prohibitions is very destructive.
I don’t think abortion became “legal” in 1973. Methinks the SC ruled there is no such Constitutional privilege.
States have laws. Beyond that, debate continues.
Perhaps this election will resolve this and other “big” issues. History says not.
Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113 (1973),[1] was a landmark decision of the U.S. Supreme Court in which the Court ruled that the Constitution of the United States conferred the right to have an abortion. The decision struck down many federal and state abortion laws,[2][3] and caused an ongoing abortion debate in the United States about whether, or to what extent, abortion should be legal, who should decide the legality of abortion, and what the role of moral and religious views in the political sphere should be. The decision also shaped debate concerning which methods the Supreme Court should use in constitutional adjudication.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

This debate always makes me angry. It is a medical procedure. How many other medical procedures are prohibited by law? Other than those aimed at trans, etc.
raison de arizona

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:25 am https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-AA12Jk04
New Hampshire GOP Senate nominee Don Bolduc told supporters this week that he thinks the future of abortion rights “belongs” to Republican “gentlemen” state lawmakers, who he claims know best how to give women a voice on their reproductive rights.

During a Wednesday night town hall in Auburn, New Hampshire, Bolduc, a retired Army brigadier general, weighed in on whether he thinks abortion rights should be decided at the state level or the federal level.

“It belongs to the state. It belongs to these gentlemen right here, who are state legislators representing you,” Bolduc said, motioning to at least two Republican state representatives in the room, Jason Osborne and Jess Edwards.
Moar from this turd.
Kate Smith @byKateSmith wrote: NEW

U.S. Senate candidate Don Bolduc says IVF is a "disgusting practice" and "we’ve got to do something about it.”

Folks. They're coming for your birth control. They're coming for IVF. This is not a drill.
They want to intervene in your bedroom. They want to intervene between you and your doctor.

Small government :lol:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Here's his picture.
GettyImages-1243112406.jpg
GettyImages-1243112406.jpg (78.59 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “Current Politics”