Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Cheating

humblescribe
Verified:

Cheating

Post by humblescribe »

So, I ran across this headline on CNN earlier today about two guys who put some lead weights and some fish guts into their competitive catch to win a fishing tournament (and about $29,000) at Lake Erie:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/02/sport/oh ... index.html

So, that got me to thinking about cheating in competitions in general that don't have on-site arbiters to thwart those who will do anything to win. Here is the latest cheating scandal in chess. Chess! :eek: :o

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... r-AA12j4Cy

Closer to home for me is that the world of tournament bridge has also been ravaged by cheating. Tournament bridge awards no prizes. Merely ego and prestige to the winners with wealthy sponsors paying these players six figure sums to play in national and world championship events. Bridge at those levels is an endurance game; anywhere from 52-90 hands will be played every day until a champion is crowned. World championship events can easily last 7-10 days. The hands are duplicated across the field. This means that if on Board #1 North holds ♠KJ92 ♥84 ♦Q ♣AJ10973 at your table, all the norths across the event will hold the exact same cards on that board. The same follows for East, South, and West. The scores from each table are compared to determine the ultimate scoring of the event. (In other words, the raw score on each hand is irrelevant. It is how that raw score compares to the other raw score(s) that decides how well a pair or a team has done.)

I played a lot during the 90s and 00s and was pretty good. Not national championship caliber good, but held my own in large fields (200+ pairs) and had respectable finishes along the way. Cheating never entered my mind--not even a subtle lean to the side to steal a peek at an opponent's hand to see if he had the missing ♥Q.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... ocumentary

I mean, I guess if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin' as the saying goes.......
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
bob

Cheating

Post by bob »

humblescribe wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:32 pm So, I ran across this headline on CNN earlier today about two guys who put some lead weights and some fish guts into their competitive catch to win a fishing tournament (and about $29,000) at Lake Erie
CBS: Fishermen accused of stuffing lead weights into fish at competition charged with attempted grand theft:
Two anglers accused of stuffing fish with lead weights and fillets in an attempt to win thousands of dollars in an Ohio fishing tournament were indicted Wednesday on charges of attempted grand theft and other counts.

Jacob Runyan, 42, of Broadview Heights, Ohio, and Chase Cominski, 35, of Hermitage, Pennsylvania, were indicted in Cleveland on felony charges of cheating, attempted grand theft, possessing criminal tools and misdemeanor charges of unlawfully owning wild animals.
Image ImageImage
pjhimself

Cheating

Post by pjhimself »

. Last week, Magnus Carlsen, the number-one chess player in the world, accused Hans Niemann, a 19-year-old rising chess star, of cheating.

“I believe that cheating in chess is a big deal and an existential threat to the game,” wrote Carlsen in a statement posted to Twitter. “I also believe that chess organizers and all those who care about the sanctity of the game we love should seriously consider increasing security measures and methods of cheat detection for over-the-board chess.”

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180980857/
somerset

Cheating

Post by somerset »

pjhimself wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:24 am
. Last week, Magnus Carlsen, the number-one chess player in the world, accused Hans Niemann, a 19-year-old rising chess star, of cheating.

“I believe that cheating in chess is a big deal and an existential threat to the game,” wrote Carlsen in a statement posted to Twitter. “I also believe that chess organizers and all those who care about the sanctity of the game we love should seriously consider increasing security measures and methods of cheat detection for over-the-board chess.”

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180980857/
https://www.economist.com/culture/2022/ ... s-he-still
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Cheating

Post by RTH10260 »

Chess prodigy Hans Niemann accused of cheating with vibrating sex toy files $100M defamation suit

By Natalie O'Neill
October 20, 2022 4:38pm Updated

Now he’s got the legal world buzzing.

A teenage chess prodigy accused of cheating with vibrating “anal beads” is suing for $100 million — claiming he was defamed by his opponent and a major gaming institution, according to a lawsuit filed Thursday.

Hans Niemann, 19, claims 31-year-old Norwegian grandmaster Magnus Carlsen lied by claiming he didn’t play fairly because he was furious the relative newcomer had beaten him unexpectedly at a major tournament in St. Louis, Missouri in September.

“Notorious for his inability to cope with defeat, Carlsen snapped,” the lawsuit declares — adding he “maliciously” plotted to ruin the younger player’s reputation.

“Enraged that the young Niemann, fully 12 years his junior, dared to disrespect the ‘King of Chess,’ and fearful that the young prodigy would further blemish his multi-million dollar brand by beating him again, Carlsen viciously and maliciously retaliated against Niemann,” the suit states.

Carlsen allegedly took to Twitter shortly after his defeat on Sept. 4, to spread “false accusations” that Niemann had cheated despite not having any evidence, according to the federal lawsuit, filed in Missouri.

The chess world exploded into such an uproar that Niemann began to face wild rumors he had used technology to cheat — including the claims he’d used a rectally inserted sex toy to signal winning moves during the match.

On October 6 at the US Chess Championships in St. Louis, an official even used a metal detector to inspect Niemann’s rear as he entered the tournament.

Carlsen’s tweet — a video of a soccer manager saying “If I speak, I am in big trouble” — only hinted at his opponent cheating, but led Chess.com to revoke Niemann’s invitation to its renowned Global Championship, according to the lawsuit, which also names Chess.com as a defendant.

“[The] defamation and unlawful collusion has, by design, destroyed Niemann’s remarkable career in its prime and ruined his life,” the suit declares.

https://nypost.com/2022/10/20/chess-pro ... 100m-suit/
tek

Cheating

Post by tek »

Wait, is this chess or marriage counseling?

:think:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Cheating

Post by RTH10260 »

NO! Please, not another thread on the former guy :twisted:

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”