Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

General Law and Lawsuits

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Foggy »

stupid.jpg
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

RVInit:

:eek:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by jez »

My mother passed from MS in 2014. I know for a few years she was doing a beta infuron? shot monthly. Not sure if it's related. She told me once she didn't think it was helping much. He relapsing form of MS switched to the progressive form a couple of years later.

It kills me that these companies give hope to people facing this devastating illness and use kickbacks to push the meds, even when they don't work well.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by raison de arizona »

So sorry, what a horrible story. And it isn't just Biogen, this is a familiar story for all drug companies to my understanding. I've had a bunch of psyche meds pushed on me from docs that clearly did not have my best interest at heart, just lining their pockets with that sweet drug co. money. Infuriating and not how this stuff should work.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MN-Skeptic

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by MN-Skeptic »

My brother is a psychiatrist and I remember him telling me years ago that he and his partner agreed that they would not meet with pharmaceutical reps because of the ethical concerns.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Frater I*I »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:54 pm So sorry, what a horrible story. And it isn't just Biogen, this is a familiar story for all drug companies to my understanding. I've had a bunch of psyche meds pushed on me from docs that clearly did not have my best interest at heart, just lining their pockets with that sweet drug co. money. Infuriating and not how this stuff should work.
I spent seven years doing the same....

And I was honest about being a drug dealer...didn't go to medical school or nothin'....

I'll see myself out... :bag:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by RTH10260 »

Baldwin Reaches Settlement With Family of ‘Rust’ Cinematographer
Halyna Hutchins was killed on set when a gun held by Alec Baldwin went off. A settlement with producers, including Mr. Baldwin, means the film will resume production in January.

By Graham Bowley and Julia Jacobs
Oct. 5, 2022 Updated 1:16 p.m. ET

The family of Halyna Hutchins, the cinematographer who was fatally shot by Alec Baldwin on the set of the movie “Rust” last year, has reached a settlement in its wrongful-death lawsuit against producers, including Mr. Baldwin, lawyers for the parties said on Wednesday.

Production of the film will resume in January, with Matthew Hutchins, Ms. Hutchins’s widower, as executive producer, according to the terms of the settlement. The film will be directed by Joel Souza, the movie’s original director.

Ms. Hutchins was killed when Mr. Baldwin was practicing with a gun he had been told was not loaded with live ammunition; it went off, striking her and Mr. Souza, who was wounded. Up to four people could face criminal charges, the Santa Fe County District Attorney’s Office recently indicated.

The suit, which was filed in February by Ms. Hutchins’s husband, her young son and the personal representative of her estate, accused Mr. Baldwin and the other defendants of reckless conduct and cost-cutting measures that endangered the crew, including failing to follow basic industry standard safety checks and gun safety rules.

“The filming of ‘Rust,’ which I will now executive produce, will resume with all the original principal players on board, in January 2023,” Mr. Hutchins said in a statement about the settlement that was released through his lawyer. He added, “I am grateful that the producers and the entertainment community have come together to pay tribute to Halyna’s final work.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/05/arts ... ement.html
RTH10260

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
KickahaOta

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by KickahaOta »

There's a discussion of The Onion's amicus brief over in the "Legal funions" topic.
RTH10260

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by RTH10260 »

Man gets prison for threatening Colorado election official

MARGERY A. BECK
Thu, October 6, 2022 at 8:41 PM·

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — A Nebraska man was sentenced Thursday to 18 months in prison for making online threats against Colorado’s top elections official, one of the first cases brought by a federal task force devoted to protecting elections workers nationwide from rising threats.

The sentence came the same day an Iowa man was arrested for allegedly leaving voicemail threats for an Arizona official and the Arizona's Attorney General's Office.

In Nebraska, Travis Ford was sentenced in U.S. District Court in Lincoln, where he lives. He pleaded guilty earlier this year to sending threats to Secretary of State Jena Griswold on social media. It was the first guilty plea obtained by the U.S. Justice Department’s Election Threats Task Force, launched last year after the 2020 presidential contest amid concerns about the potential effect on democracy of threats against election officials and workers.

A national advocate for elections security, Griswold has received thousands of threats over her insistence the 2020 election was secure despite false claims by former President Donald Trump it was stolen.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/18-months-pr ... 41600.html
RVInit

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by RVInit »

We won't need to worry much about threats against election officials. Many of the people running, who will win because they are Republicans in red states, have already vowed to not accept election results if the results don't go the way they want. So, they won't have to worry about being threatened. We will no longer have a functioning democratic republic, but hey, it was nice while it lasted, huh?
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... r-AA12McRQ
Demanding employees turn on their webcams is a human rights violation, Dutch Court rules

When Florida-based Chetu hired a telemarketer in the Netherlands, the company demanded the employee turn on his webcam. The employee wasn’t happy with being monitored “for 9 hours per day,” in a program that included screen-sharing and streaming his webcam. When he refused, he was fired, according to public court documents (in Dutch), for what the company stated was ‘refusal to work’ and ‘insubordination.’ The Dutch court didn’t agree, however, and ruled that “instructions to keep the webcam turned on is in conflict with the respect for the privacy of the workers’. In its verdict, the court goes so far as to suggest that demanding webcam surveillance is a human rights violation.

According to the court documents, the company’s response to that message was to fire the employee. That might have worked in an at-will state such as Chetu’s home state Florida, but it turns out that labor laws work a little differently in other parts of the world. The employee took Chetu to court for unfair dismissal, and the court found in his favor, which includes paying for the employee’s court costs, back wages, a fine of $50,000, and an order to remove the employee’s non-compete clause. The court ruled that the company needs to pay the employee’s wages, unused vacation days, and a number of other costs as well.

“Tracking via camera for 8 hours per day is disproportionate and not permitted in the Netherlands,” the court found in its verdict, and further rams home the point that this monitoring is against the employee’s human rights, quoting from the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms; “(…) video surveillance of an employee in the workplace, be it covert or not, must be considered as a considerable intrusion into the employee’s private life (…), and hence [the court] considers that it constitutes an interference within the meaning of Article 8 [Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms].”

Chetu, in turn, was apparently a no-show for the court case.

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
noblepa

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by noblepa »

Makers of Texas Pete's Hot Sauce sued because it is made in North Carolina

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... 15295711f9

I bought some Swiss cheese at the supermarket a couple of days ago. I was shocked to learn that it was not made in Switzerland. Can I sue?
Kendra

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Kendra »

This sounds interesting and oh my look at the government's potential witness list. If I wanted to start a thread, where would that be and what would we call the thread?
BREAKING: the witness list has been released for the trial of Pras Michele, founding member of The Fugees who was indicted in the Jho Low Malaysian money laundering scheme. Here’s a quick refresher about his connections to trump. 1/
RTH10260

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by RTH10260 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:46 am https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... r-AA12McRQ
Demanding employees turn on their webcams is a human rights violation, Dutch Court rules

:snippity:

Can be totally normal in Europe that only the lawyer is present. As a Florida resident he may even have fot a court dispense from extra travelling to Europe.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Maybenaut »

noblepa wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:49 am Makers of Texas Pete's Hot Sauce sued because it is made in North Carolina

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... 15295711f9

I bought some Swiss cheese at the supermarket a couple of days ago. I was shocked to learn that it was not made in Switzerland. Can I sue?
“This picante sauce is made in New Jersey!”

“Get a rope.”
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Foggy
Dick Tater

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Foggy »

I found out that hamburgers aren't made in Hamburg, and don't even ask about French fries.
:rolleye:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by keith »

Arizona Sun Tea?

Not in Az and not in sun.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Reddog

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Reddog »

Foggy wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:07 pm I found out that hamburgers aren't made in Hamburg, and don't even ask about French fries.
:rolleye:
Or Turkey Fries?
:confuzzled:
chancery
Verified:

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by chancery »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:32 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:46 am https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... r-AA12McRQ

Can be totally normal in Europe that only the lawyer is present. As a Florida resident he may even have fot a court dispense from extra travelling to Europe.
Chetu is the employer and defendant in this case. I read the article to mean that Chetu defaulted; it didn't retain a lawyer to put up any defense.
Volkonski
Verified:

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Volkonski »

New England clam chowder. Usually not from New England. :fingerwag:

Old El Paso now owned by General Mills of Minneapolis.

German chocolate cake sold in USA not made in Germany.

Italian sausage sold in USA not made in Italy.

French fries not made in France.

Baked Alaska not made in Alaska.

And so on.......
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Foggy »

Welsh rarebit is still made in Wales, out of rabbits.
:bunny: :point: buh bye pal
keith

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by keith »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:34 pm :snippity:

German chocolate cake sold in USA not made in Germany.

It isn't 'German' chocolate cake and has never had anything to do with Germany.

It is German's chocolate cake, as in: "made with Baker's German's brand chocolate chocolate cake recipe". The recipe was submitted to a newspaper by a Dallas, Texas woman in 1957.

(from Wikipedia)
Its roots can be traced back to 1852 when American baker Samuel German developed a type of dark baking chocolate for the Baker's Chocolate Company. The brand name of the product, Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate, was named in his honor.

On June 3, 1957, a recipe for "German's Chocolate Cake" appeared as the "Recipe of the Day" in The Dallas Morning News. It was created by Mrs. George Clay, a homemaker from 3831 Academy Drive, Dallas, Texas. This recipe used the baking chocolate introduced 105 years prior and became quite popular. General Foods, which owned the Baker's brand at the time, took notice and distributed the cake recipe to other newspapers in the country. Sales of Baker's Chocolate are said to have increased by as much as 73% and the cake would become a national staple. The possessive form (German's) was dropped in subsequent publications, forming the "German Chocolate Cake" identity and giving the false impression of a German origin.
However, there are original recipes for chocolate cakes from Germany. e.g. there is a traditional recipe that won a local competition for a chocolate cake with cherries that dates back to 1909 in the Lake Constance area. This is a favorite German chocolate cake classic that is served throughout Southern Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
This 'actual' German chocolate cake recipe is usually called 'Black Forest Cake' in my experience. I assume it is still made in Germany, but also all over the world.
keith

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by keith »

There are a heck of a lot of 'Idaho Potatos' in Australia that are actually grown in Tasmania. How does that work exactly?

And does Virginia actually supply the entire effing world with 'Virginia Hams'?

And don't get me started on 'Champagne' or 'Chablis' or 'Hermitage' or 'Port' or 'Cheddar Cheese' or 'Red Leister Cheese' or ...

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”