Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

email question

sugar magnolia

email question

Post by sugar magnolia »

How do you find out who hosts your email if it is not on the same server as your website?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: email question

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Email is usually not on the same server as a website anyway, though the service may be provided by the same hosting company and use your domain. Even in that case, I assume some of them use a vendor to provide email services as well.

If your email has the same domain as your email (example: thefogbow.com), you could go to a place like Network Tools type in the domain name (such as thefogbow.com or hbo.com or whatever) and look for the rows labeled MX. For my church address, the results show where we registered the domain, the hosting company (AWS), and the MX results, which are Google as we use them for business services.

Or use the MX Lookup Tool that Raison mentioned, which is likely easier (may day job email resolves to outlook.com on that one, which I already knew).
101010 :towel:
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

Send an email to yourself and then expand the email so you can view the headers. The command for this varies in different email readers, for example in Gmail it's labeled as "Show Original."

Next look for a line like this:
Received: from mail-sor-f41.google.com (mail-sor-f41.google.com. [209.85.220.41]

That's pretty obvious - google.com indicates Gmail. Otherwise paste the IP address, 209.85.220.41 in this case, into a whois search, such as
https://whois.domaintools.com/

That should give you the answer.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:02 pm https://mxtoolbox.com/
You're fast climbing to the top of my favorite people list!
Thank you.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Thank you all!

Return to “Computers and Internet”