Still not 'duly elected' Arizona Governor -- Kari Lake, TFG Endorsee

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Arizona Governor -- Kari Lake, TFG Endorsee

Post by raison de arizona »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:30 pm
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:25 am :snippity: This was two decades before RvW, and despite being a known issue, the laws were never changed or clarified. People were denied abortions of their miscarriages right into the 70s under these laws.
FWIW we're dealing with >100-year old abortion laws in AZ that are suddenly back in effect. Maybe. *sounds of court battles ensue* So, yeah.
Draconian territorial law reenacted.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

The law traced back to 1864. We’ll have to see if Lake stands behind it, as she has somewhat softened her stance in the last week.
Arizona Judge Reinstates Strict Abortion Ban From 1864
A 15-week abortion ban passed this year will take effect on Saturday. But the attorney general has argued that the near-total ban from the 19th century should take precedence.

A judge on Friday ruled that a near-total abortion ban written before Arizona became a state must be enforced, throwing abortion access into question one day before the start of a 15-week ban that passed the Legislature this year.

The stricter ban, which can be traced to 1864, was blocked by a court injunction in 1973 shortly after the Supreme Court, in Roe v. Wade, determined that there was a constitutional right to abortion.
:snippity:
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/23/us/a ... n-ban.html
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Basically, off topic, but certainly related Arizona if only peripherally to Governor.

I got my overseas vote by email stuff today and I'm starting to research non-partisan stuffs. There isn't a whole lot of info around to evaluate school board candidates for example.

What I'm really stumped about are the Judges. Arizona 'appoints' judges and then periodically they 'get approved' by voters.

The procedure seems arcane and pointless to me, but I remember the system it replaced was really really bad.

Anyway, I can't find any information about Judge scorecards or performance reviews or any of that kind of thing.

I'm wondering if there is any org out there that keeps track of outrageous State level "Loose Cannon" judges that can be used to inform my votes.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

keith wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:22 am
Anyway, I can't find any information about Judge scorecards or performance reviews or any of that kind of thing.

I'm wondering if there is any org out there that keeps track of outrageous State level "Loose Cannon" judges that can be used to inform my votes.
I'd be surprised there isn't. There are a number of organizations here that rate judges for retention based on various criteria; usually there are one or two who are not recommended by anyone. Anyway, I found this.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion ... 371610002/
keith

Post by keith »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:59 am
keith wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:22 am

I'd be surprised there isn't. There are a number of organizations here that rate judges for retention based on various criteria; usually there are one or two who are not recommended by anyone. Anyway, I found this.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion ... 371610002/
Thanks for that. When I asked the question, that is the only thing I could find.

Later, I found this: Arizona Judicial Performance Review
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I would start with who appointed them, and I ain't ashamed.

I am now operating under the assumption that any act by any Republican was either a shitty idea or an oversight. Unless I had evidence to change my mind anyone appointed by a Republican is guilty by association.

Sorry, not sorry.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

What I'll do when I'm trying to figure out which judges to vote for in Minnesota is to google their name and the office they are running for. Sometimes you'll find articles written by groups with specific views discussing why they prefer a certain candidate. For example, The Tea Party Crazies of Arizona may praise The Honorable Matilda Wigglebee. So... probably not someone you want to vote for. The other thing a google search may find is the candidate's web page. Seeing what issues they stress and who they list as endorsing them can provide insight. Honest to God, there are some real whack-a-doo websites by some candidates.
keith

Post by keith »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:50 pm What I'll do when I'm trying to figure out which judges to vote for in Minnesota is to google their name and the office they are running for. Sometimes you'll find articles written by groups with specific views discussing why they prefer a certain candidate. For example, The Tea Party Crazies of Arizona may praise The Honorable Matilda Wigglebee. So... probably not someone you want to vote for. The other thing a google search may find is the candidate's web page. Seeing what issues they stress and who they list as endorsing them can provide insight. Honest to God, there are some real whack-a-doo websites by some candidates.
Thats what I did for the school board, but judges in Arizona dont 'run for office'.

When an opening occurs, a Merit Board gives the Governor a list of candidates to choose from. Once appointed the voters get to periodically decide if the judge should continue in his post.

As a long time overseas voter I dont get to keep up with the day to day incompetancies, so I have to rely on the score cards maintained by the merit board. I was having trouble to find it yesterday, but I got there.
raison de arizona

Arizona Governor -- Kari Lake, TFG Endorsee

Oh but the memes!
► Show Spoiler
raison de arizona

OK, so the deal is, Hobbs wanted a Q&A, not a spectacle of a debate with crazy Lake. The Clean Elections committee said NO, debate only! So Hobbs said no thank you, at which point they gave Lake a...Q&A. So Hobbs went to PBS and got a Q&A as well! :lol: Clean Elections and Lake are rather perturbed.
► Show Spoiler
Anyway, here are the Kari Lake chickens. Reminds me of when TPUSA (or whoever it was) went around a college campus wearing diapers...to own the libs.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:51 pm Image
You know if she loses, TFG will start referring to her as "the girl that cleaned the carpet for me, I barely know her"
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

"This is servant leadership cult behavior."
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I haven't seen a lady wearing high heels to vacuum a rug in quite some time. :shock:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Foggy wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:27 am I haven't seen a lady wearing high heels to vacuum a rug in quite some time. :shock:
It's a fetish thing. If she had been wearing peep-toe shoes it would have been under an adult content warning on twitter.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
When my dad's ship would arrive in port, my mom wanted to wear heels to greet him after several months absence. But Navy piers had those gaps between the planks, and you could break off a heel in about three steps. If you walked the length of the pier you were going to break a heel.

So I do tend to look at whether a surface looks dangerous, when I see a lady wearing high heels. She could trip on the rug!
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:25 am
Foggy wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:27 am I haven't seen a lady wearing high heels to vacuum a rug in quite some time. :shock:
It's a fetish thing. If she had been wearing peep-toe shoes it would have been under an adult content warning on twitter.
:rimshot:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

No doubt that "real photo" was real posed for a few seconds. No actual vacuuming occurred, and no dust was harmed. Is there video?
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

That rug is sitting on top of dirt/sand. It won't take more than a small puff of wind to make it dirty.

Do people really think this happened?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Azastan wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:48 pm That rug is sitting on top of dirt/sand. It won't take more than a small puff of wind to make it dirty.

I don't.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:11 pm
Azastan wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:48 pm That rug is sitting on top of dirt/sand. It won't take more than a small puff of wind to make it dirty.

I don't.
Love your scary avatar!!!! :biggrin: :shock:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I'd like to think she's dumb enough to try.

In the photo, the vacuum is at the very corner of the rug, and the rug is surrounded by dirt. I know what would happen to me if I was vacuuming in that position. The rug would be sucked up from the ground. You can't move forward off of the rug to get the vacuum to release it, and bringing the vacuum back towards you might or might not work, depending on the thickness of the rug. I dunno. It's just dumb.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:14 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:11 pm

I don't.
Love your scary avatar!!!! :biggrin: :shock:
Off Topic
It's a "Weeping Angel," one of my favorite aliens from new Doctor Who, introduced in Blink.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I am now operating under the assumption that any act by any Republican was either a shitty idea or an oversight. Unless I had evidence to change my mind anyone appointed by a Republican is guilty by association.

Sorry, not sorry.
Come sit over here by me (pats the bench). Let’s dish.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I have an idea! Kari and Melanie should open a 1950’s style gardening/housekeeping service.

“Labor as your mom would have done it!”

- will clean your toilet wearing pearls and a LBD.

- will mow your lawn wearing stilettos and not much else.

- cocktails on demand.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:58 pm - will mow your lawn wearing stilettos and not much else.
That will aerate the lawn, at least. :mrgreen:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,

Return to “Governors & State Elections”