Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

What are you watching?

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Re: What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:14 am Lou on Netflix streaming. Just came out.

Tough old gal with no super powers takes on the world, saves the child, and vanquishes the foe. If you like strong female leads in action thrillers, this is a good choice. And of course, since it's a USian movie, there's a happy ending. Totally formulaic in that respect. Otherwise, it has some unexpected moments in it that keep it fresh.
Hmm... you are going to make me reactivate my Netflix account (as I'm almost done with AHS on Prime).

(Yeah, I allow my Netflix go suspended sometimes for months)
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:19 am
bill_g wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:14 am Lou on Netflix streaming. Just came out.

Tough old gal with no super powers takes on the world, saves the child, and vanquishes the foe. If you like strong female leads in action thrillers, this is a good choice. And of course, since it's a USian movie, there's a happy ending. Totally formulaic in that respect. Otherwise, it has some unexpected moments in it that keep it fresh.
Hmm... you are going to make me reactivate my Netflix account (as I'm almost done with AHS on Prime).

(Yeah, I allow my Netflix go suspended sometimes for months)
Might be worth it. Definitely not a Christmas movie, but could be handy during the week up to the New Years.
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

I just watched "Elvis" (on HBO). Tom Hanks was fine, although his prosthetics were distracting. But Austin Butler as Elvis was wonderful.

I wasn't an Elvis fan, but the scenes about his early life were fascinating. I guess I didn't know much about Elvis except the tabloid stuff.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

I came By on Netflix streaming.

A dark indy film reminiscent of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. They lifted a couple elements straight out of Dragon Tattoo, but they incorporated them well. Anti-authoritarian graffiti artist runs up against an entitled elitist who considers the hoi polloi his personal playthings that he can do what he will until he tires of them. Then he chops them to bits, incinerates the evidence, and moves on to his next amusement. Very Bri-ish. Not for everyone, but if you could stomach Girl w Dragon Tattoo, this will be an easy view.

Even Stephen King liked this one on Twitter according to IMDB.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.aarp.org/entertainment/movi ... -2022.html
Your Ultimate Guide to the Movies Coming This Fall
Get the inside track on these critic-approved films coming to screens this season

TÁR (Oct. 7, in theaters)
Cate Blanchett plays famous conductor Lydia Tár, whose life implodes. It’s the first film in 15 years by director Todd Field (In the Bedroom, Little Children), so it’s hotly awaited.

She Said (Nov. 18, in theaters)
If you liked Spotlight, the hit about The Boston Globe uncovering the priest abuse scandal, try this drama about the relentless New York Times reporters (played by Carey Mulligan and Zoe Kazan) who exposed rapist and film mogul Harvey Weinstein’s crimes and got him sent to prison.

​Weird: The Al Yankovic Story (Nov. 4, Roku)
Harry Potter star Daniel Radcliffe plays a young Yankovic, pop’s top parodist. Rainn Wilson plays his mentor Dr. Demento; Evan Rachel Wood plays Madonna. “Madonna is seeing that it’s very profitable for an artist if Weird Al Yankovic covers one of their songs, so she concocts this whole plan to show up at his house and seduce him,” explains Wood. “She is trying to win over Al’s heart so she can manipulate him into writing parodies of her songs. Essentially, she is just exploiting him, but he is none the wiser and thinks that Madonna is just madly in love with him … which she may be on some level.”
All of the 25 movies listed have trailers!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Nice roundup of movies, TRL - thanks for sharing that!
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

After watching the Ryan Murphy Dahmer series on Netflix (talked about it in the Big Gay topic), we went for true crime week... turns out there's a 5 episode documentary about John Wayne Gacy that was on Peacock. Didn't know much about Dahmer or Gacy other than the main headlines. Well when the Gacy docu began, turned out I know the guy who started the show, he corresponded with Gacy in jail. Had no idea! Craig used to be with HBO, he always wore bow ties, knew him from there years ago. Gacy never came up with him ever at all. It's so bizarre. Craig's on Facebook, when we finish it will send him a message and be like WHAT!?!

Somebody put this on YouTube with no commercials so it's about 5 hours long. An unbelievable story, how it went on for so long is shocking but back in those days as they explain of course files had to be gone through by hand and Gacy had a prior in Iowa and they didn't coordinate the way they should have. The first few episodes are backgrounders, it's not as graphic as the kickoff of Dahmer. So far it's well done. The other strange thing is the first Executive Producer listed is Tracey Ullman. Haven't heard about her in years, not sure if it's the comic or a kid or a random name, will look it up later.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Mrich wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:16 pm I just watched "Elvis" (on HBO). Tom Hanks was fine, although his prosthetics were distracting. But Austin Butler as Elvis was wonderful.

I wasn't an Elvis fan, but the scenes about his early life were fascinating. I guess I didn't know much about Elvis except the tabloid stuff.
I watched Elvis. Also enjoyed the early scenes but fell asleep because it was too long and got boring.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

orlylicious wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:24 pm After watching the Ryan Murphy Dahmer series on Netflix (talked about it in the Big Gay topic), we went for true crime week...
Orly, what did you think about the portrayal of Dahmer in the new series about him?

I've hesitated to watch it because some things I've read about the series make it sound like they try to play on the attractiveness of the actor portraying him - not just in the sense of it being a reason why some victims might go with him (like how they did the Bundy movie several years ago with Mark Harmon) but instead as a way to titilate the audience. Showing that the guy could be attractive to people is one thing, but I don't like when it feels like the audience is supposed to be getting all hot and bothered by the guy.

Like Gacy, many of the killers who racked up such high body counts were able to do so because of how difficult it was to track incidents between jurisdictions - and, sadly, sometimes even within a single jurisdiction. My hope is that now that we've got better technology to help identify related cases and a greater awareness of the serial killer phenomenon and can recognize possible patterns sooner, we will see far fewer cases than there were 30 or 40 years ago. And I think we may be getting there. I can't recall the last time I read about a newly discovered case where so many were killed.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:47 pm
orlylicious wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:24 pm After watching the Ryan Murphy Dahmer series on Netflix (talked about it in the Big Gay topic), we went for true crime week...
Orly, what did you think about the portrayal of Dahmer in the new series about him?

I've hesitated to watch it because some things I've read about the series make it sound like they try to play on the attractiveness of the actor portraying him - not just in the sense of it being a reason why some victims might go with him (like how they did the Bundy movie several years ago with Mark Harmon) but instead as a way to titilate the audience. Showing that the guy could be attractive to people is one thing, but I don't like when it feels like the audience is supposed to be getting all hot and bothered by the guy.

Like Gacy, many of the killers who racked up such high body counts were able to do so because of how difficult it was to track incidents between jurisdictions - and, sadly, sometimes even within a single jurisdiction. My hope is that now that we've got better technology to help identify related cases and a greater awareness of the serial killer phenomenon and can recognize possible patterns sooner, we will see far fewer cases than there were 30 or 40 years ago. And I think we may be getting there. I can't recall the last time I read about a newly discovered case where so many were killed.
The last time I heard about any statistics (within the last few years), it is guessed that there are about 100 serial killers roaming the country at any given time. The interstate highway system is their friend.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

watching "Court Night Live" where the Judges lose control over the "courtroom"
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:58 pm The last time I heard about any statistics (within the last few years), it is guessed that there are about 100 serial killers roaming the country at any given time. The interstate highway system is their friend.
True. My hope is that we're getting enough better at identifying them early enough that rather than being able to kill 20 to 30 - or more - people, we're stopping them at a much lower number.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Orly, what did you think about the portrayal of Dahmer in the new series about him? I've hesitated to watch it because some things I've read about the series make it sound like they try to play on the attractiveness of the actor portraying him
Kriselda, interesting question. We didn't find it exploitative. He was rightfully portrayed as a monster, and while the actor (and Dahmer himself) were not terrible-looking guys, the actor showed the ugliness and horror within him which overshadowed any personal attractiveness. Never considered him being good-looking or that Ryan Murphy was trying to capitalize on that in any way. Ryan's gay, he showcased the horror and evil of Dahmer, between his heavy drinking problem, callous disregard for human life, and his dark soul. Will be interested in your take about it, but for us we didn't think of that at all while watching it.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

orlylicious wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:42 am Kriselda, interesting question. We didn't find it exploitative. He was rightfully portrayed as a monster, and while the actor (and Dahmer himself) were not terrible-looking guys, the actor showed the ugliness and horror within him which overshadowed any personal attractiveness. Never considered him being good-looking or that Ryan Murphy was trying to capitalize on that in any way. Ryan's gay, he showcased the horror and evil of Dahmer, between his heavy drinking problem, callous disregard for human life, and his dark soul. Will be interested in your take about it, but for us we didn't think of that at all while watching it.
Ok, good - it sounds like one I might like then. I'll let you know what I think :) Thanks for the info!
bill_g

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

A Trip to Inifinty, a discussion about Inifinity on Netflix streaming. A fun mind exercise in something difficult to conceptualize. 90 minuteish. I kept rewinding to hear the many different math profs and physicists say it again (and again and again ...)

Here's the closing song.

Gupwalla

What are you watching?

Post by Gupwalla »

orlylicious wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:24 pm The other strange thing is the first Executive Producer listed is Tracey Ullman. Haven't heard about her in years, not sure if it's the comic or a kid or a random name, will look it up later.
Different person. Tracey is the comic - and she’s still quite active, with quite a few political impersonation bits floating around the YouTubes in the past few years. She’s done Mariel, May, and even Corbyn.

Tracy is a true crime producer. None of her work looks particularly funny.
Luke

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

Thanks for the info, Gupwalla!

The first 2 episodes of the new Interview With the Vampire series have aired on AMC... haven't watched it yet but excited to see what they've done. It moved along quickly in production. And the Mayfair Witches series is right behind it. Anne Rice lives on and on and on...

The Super-Gay ‘Interview With the Vampire’ Series Is Badass, Gross, and So Sexy
GETTING DRAINED
AMC’s new take on Anne Rice’s iconic blood-suckers shouldn’t work as well it does. The secret: It lets these fang-wielding boys finally bang.

Kevin Fallon Senior Editor, Obsessed Updated Oct. 07, 2022 11:16AM ET / Published Oct. 07, 2022 3:56AM ET

So imagine my surprise to discover that one such new series, clearly timed to capitalize on Halloween interest, is among my favorite TV shows of the year so far. Anne Rice’s Interview With the Vampire is so, so good.

This is entirely unexpected, as TV adaptations of existing IP have largely become tedious and uninspired. That the 1994 movie version with Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise was garbage, aside from them being hot, certainly didn’t inspire confidence. The notion that there could be anything new, interesting, or modern to say about vampires—especially the Anne Rice characters that have been so thoroughly mined—is a creative gambit on par with asking for a miracle.

And yet, here we are. AMC’s Interview With the Vampire is lush and operatic. It is gross and disturbing, opening the dam for the sanguine river of blood to flow the way that a show like this should: so that it is as gorgeous as it is upsetting. There are provocative ideas about race and power dynamics filtered through the identity politics of bloodsuckers that, remarkably, work. A modern-day setting against a global pandemic should be irritating. Instead, it’s riveting.

Then there’s the thing that, in hindsight, makes it obvious that this show would win me over: They made it so gay.

If you’re an Anne Rice purist (it should come as no surprise that I am not), there are immediate changes you’ll notice and may have strong opinions about.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/obsessed/ ... e?ref=home

Trailer:

Danraft

What are you watching?

Post by Danraft »

Anne Rice’s prose was always evocative of opiate use and sexual underpinnings to the need to feed and doing so.
Luke

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

That's a really interesting comment, Dan. Never thought of it. The show is up to episode 3 and we really like it a lot.

:dance: PlutoTV now has a 24-hour channel of Perry Mason! CBS opened the vault. It's on Channel 1385: https://pluto.tv/en/live-tv/perry-mason. If you haven't looked at Pluto lately, the number of channels has soared and it's free on PC or phone or tablet.

Pluto is also running Mary Tyler Moore for a few hours each night on the Classic Comedy channel. One of the greatest shows ever. They ran this one tonight, it starts with a possible Prince Charles interview at WJM. The work of Betty White and Ed Asner on this show is incredible.

neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

Okay, just finished Dahmer on Netflix after someone here recommended it. Not sure if I should tell that person "thank you" or "damn you".

Of course, I already knew the Dahmer saga from documentaries in the past, but to see it put in dramatic form was unsettling.

I need to find something more upbeat/entertaining to clear my head. :?
Luke

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

Here's a change of pace, Neon -- how about Bea Arthur with Dorothy's Most Savage Moments on Golden Girls? :P

And agree, Dahmer is intense and hard to watch/stop watching. There's a reason it's already #2 of all Netflix series. The 3 part documentary series they just released is interesting too also. But we did the same thing after watching... comedies and a few Disney animated films.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Kriselda Gray »

We just finished watching all 3 seasons of "The Orville" which is kind of a feat for me since I used to hate anything with or by Seth MacFarlane, Scott Grimes or Norm MacDonald and am a pretty had sell when it comes to comedies. Yet inspire of all that, the show charmed me into loving it and I'm really hoping it'll get a 4th season.

I also recently finished watching The Crown (new season Nov 9 - woohoo!) and She-Hulk, Attorney at Law (another comedy that slipped past my blockade.)

Now I'm just trying to figure out what's next... I'm thinking I might try Empress
Luke

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

Dahmer was just replaced as Netflix' #1 by another Ryan Murphy show, it's called The Watcher and it's apparently based on a true story. Not reading any of the stories about it until we watch the show. We just started it and it's great. Mia Farrow is hilarious. Margo Martindale is in it, she's one of our favorites, she was Claudia on The Americans and works constantly (https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0553269/).

Mia Margo.JPG
Mia Margo.JPG (188.13 KiB) Viewed 564 times

FYI on Interview with the Vampire, Sundays at 10pm on AMC:
AMC+ Achieves Record Ratings with The Walking Dead, Debut of Interview with the Vampire
By Jessica Lerner on Oct. 12, 2022 - 3:21 PM

The return of the final season of The Walking Dead and the premiere of Anne Rice’s TV adaption of Interview with the Vampire on Oct. 2 took streamer AMC+ to its strongest two days of viewership and subscriber growth since the platform’s October 2020 launch, according to Variety. In terms of viewership and new subscribers, the series premiere of Interview with the Vampire has surpassed all prior records for AMC+, “tripling the early activity of the previous record holder in all categories,” of drama Dark Winds, according to AMC.

According to AMC, these episodes of The Walking Dead and/or Interview with the Vampire accounted for 75% of the first streams on AMC+ on Sunday, which did not give exact viewing and acquisition data. Based on its first weekend performance, Interview with the Vampire is now ranked among the top three new or returning programs on AMC+, along with The Walking Dead and Better Call Saul. AMC Networks has a total of 10.8 million streaming subscribers among its various offerings, including AMC, as of the second quarter of 2022.

Interview with the Vampire has already been renewed for a second season and will air through Nov. 13 before Mayfair Witches, which is set in the same universe, premieres on AMC+ on Jan. 5. New episodes of The Walking Dead will streamer a week earlier on AMC+ sans the series finale on Nov. 20.
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

orlylicious wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:15 am Dahmer was just replaced as Netflix' #1 by another Ryan Murphy show, it's called The Watcher and it's apparently based on a true story. Not reading any of the stories about it until we watch the show.
It's not scary so much as it is just a mystery. It is inspired by a true story -- but you know how Hollywood takes creative license.

THIS IS A SPOILER. The first thing that comes up at the start of the closing credit on the last episode. DO NOT CLICK.
► Show Spoiler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

What are you watching?

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.buzzfeed.com/bendzialdowski ... ue-stories
These "Based On Real Events" Films Were Given The "Historical Accuracy" Test, And My Eyes Have Been Well And Truly Opened

So, here are 17 movies, ranked from least accurate to most, allowing for a little bit of artistic licence.

Selma

Paramount Pictures
Accuracy: 100%

Factual: The filmmakers rightly took care when retelling these events, and were particularly careful to include as many of the people involved as possible, hence the unusually large cast. The important historical scenes were done considerately, and they were incredibly impactful because of this,

Dramatised: Some commentators declare that the film misrepresented Johnson, with some (Johnsons's former assistant) saying that he and King worked together more, although it seems as though the film's portrayal was actually closer to the truth.

Scene that did happen:

Coretta really did meet with Malcolm X in secret.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”