Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

SCOTUS

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Re: SCOTUS

Post by Slim Cognito »

I don't remember the exact wording but isn't it something to the effect of, "If you have to explain it, you've already lost."
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

That's nice.

You know women are dying because of you, right?
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Roberts knows exactly how the Roberts Court will be remembered in history and there's nothing he can say or do at this point to redeem his place in history.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Roberts is acting like Republican politicians and influencers. He is playing the public for fools.

He wants us to believe that they are just a bunch of hard-working people who have the best interests of our nation at heart. They might disagree on things, but they are just one big happy family when they are passing that spliff around the lunch room table at break time and Kavanaugh pulls his hip flask out from beneath his judicial robes.

Chief Justice, don't kid a kidder. You and your fellow justices want to create legislation from the bench.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

The Supreme Court has no clothes.
Al Franken tells @Acosta on the legitimacy of SCOTUS, "They've stolen two seats. The one that Merrick Garland wasn't given a hearing for. And the one that Coney Barrett, where she was seated a week before the election. That destroyed the legitimacy of the court. "
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

The dynasty appointments don't help either. From Justice Rehnquist to his clerk Roberts. From Justice Kennedy to his clerk Kegs.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:25 pm The dynasty appointments don't help either. From Justice Rehnquist to his clerk Roberts. From Justice Kennedy to his clerk Kegs.
Lifetime appointment is the real bulshittery....

Sure this was a great idea when the average lifespan was 50-60, and you wouldn't get appointed until you were 50, by then with health declining how long would those want to travel to a malarial infested swamp to do their duty before the resign or shuffle loose the mortal coil...

Now, we've terraformed DC into a habitable place and medical tech has advanced to the point where the founders could never imagine that a partisan hack like Thomas would get appointed and over 30 years later still making decisions that ruin our lives....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Pass a law, with a simple majority in each house, that whenever a Justice turns 70 (pick your age) the President can appoint his replacement without waiting for him to die. When he dies or resigns, the seat is not replaced.

Follow me for more good government hacks... :mrgreen:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Gregg wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:09 am Pass a law, with a simple majority in each house, that whenever a Justice turns 70 (pick your age) the President can appoint his replacement without waiting for him to die. When he dies or resigns, the seat is not replaced.

But wouldn't the Senate confirmations still be the hangup?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

What if the Justice outlives his replacement(s)? :blackeye: No candidate will want to be lines up against that wall. What work would they perform until they can take the seat? Just get the salary, cause any cour cases they would hear would be critizied under the light of his/her future function.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:56 am
Gregg wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:09 am Pass a law, with a simple majority in each house, that whenever a Justice turns 70 (pick your age) the President can appoint his replacement without waiting for him to die. When he dies or resigns, the seat is not replaced.

But wouldn't the Senate confirmations still be the hangup?
Yes, but it would eventually encourage them to retire, and if not, for a time there might in theory be as many as 18 Justices

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:27 am What if the Justice outlives his replacement(s)? :blackeye: No candidate will want to be lines up against that wall. What work would they perform until they can take the seat? Just get the salary, cause any cour cases they would hear would be critizied under the light of his/her future function.
Then the Vacancy would be filled. There are always 9 Justices under 70 plus however many hang on, which I expect to be unusual. There is no Constitutional barrier to how many there are, one group is pushing for 13 permanent Justices, one for each District, another good idea.

Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Gregg wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:43 am
RTH10260 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:27 am What if the Justice outlives his replacement(s)? :blackeye: No candidate will want to be lines up against that wall. What work would they perform until they can take the seat? Just get the salary, cause any cour cases they would hear would be critizied under the light of his/her future function.
Then the Vacancy would be filled. There are always 9 Justices under 70 plus however many hang on, which I expect to be unusual. There is no Constitutional barrier to how many there are, one group is pushing for 13 permanent Justices, one for each District, another good idea.
I definitely do like the one-per-district idea, myself.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

I guess we are speaking about 1 Justice per Federal Circuit, eg 13, else there would be like 90 districts elligible for a Justice. Slight overkill.

Circuits:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... of_appeals

Districts:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... rict_court

Question: are the current Circuits still correctly representing the population and workload?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

🔥
Adam Parkhomenko @AdamParkhomenko wrote: Hakeem Jeffries has fucking had it with Clarence and Ginni Thomas
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

What incentive does he have to follow any rules? He can pretty much just do whatever he wants and there is precious little anyone can do about it.
Common Cause @CommonCause wrote: We reviewed Justice Thomas' financial disclosure filings years ago and found that he failed to disclose his wife's income ($686,589) from the Heritage Foundation.

We'll keep calling out Ginni Thomas until we have an ethical Supreme Court.
Michele Goodwin @michelebgoodwin wrote: Justice Clarence Thomas failed to report nearly $700,000 of his wife's income, checking a box that said "none" on disclosure forms--according to @CommonCause https://latimes.com/politics/la-xpm-201 ... story.html
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I've been pondering Chief Justice Roberts and comments he made recently. I think he mistakes being a Chief Justice for being the Pope in which the Pope allegedly is infallible on speaking about some Church matters.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
June bug

Post by June bug »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:32 pm I've been pondering Chief Justice Roberts and comments he made recently. I think he mistakes being a Chief Justice for being the Pope in which the Pope allegedly is infallible on speaking about some Church matters.
That or he’s going for the Miss Congeniality crown.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Isn't "Chief Justice" kind of a misnomer in that the only thing that separates him from an Associate Justice is he has to do the clerical drone work, he gets to sit in the center on Class Picture day and he has the best parking spot?

jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:26 am Question: are the current Circuits still correctly representing the population and workload?
Even 14 years ago, the Circuits did not really represent population (although the Circuits with larger population get a higher number of judges):

United States Courts of Appeals - Circuit Population
Circuit Population

Based on 2008 U.S. census estimates, the population residing in each circuit is as follows.

Circuit Authorized Judges Population Percentage of U.S. Pop.
D.C. Circuit 11 591,833 0.19
1st circuit 6 14,135,057 4.58
2nd Circuit 13 23,612,819 7.66
3rd Circuit 14 22,112,480 7.17
4th Circuit 15 28,919,368 9.38
5th Circuit 17 31,676,388 10.27
6th Circuit 16 31,973,465 10.37
7th Circuit 11 24,906,322 8.08
8th Circuit 11 20,219,050 6.56
9th Circuit 29 60,920,046 19.75
10th Circuit 12 16,637,399 5.40
11th Circuit 12 32,675,984 10.60

https://www.liquisearch.com/united_stat ... population
I would note that some Circuits (especially the DC Circuit which handles lots of agency law appeals) have caseloads out of proportion to their population. I recall seeing figures that the 9th Circuit handles about 25% of federal appellate cases.
raison de arizona

raison de arizona

Well if he says so... :lol:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I invite Mister Justice Alito to phuck ALL the way off.

raison de arizona

Gregg wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:08 pm I invite Mister Justice Alito to phuck ALL the way off.
And when he gets there, he can climb over the fence and keep going.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”