Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

The View From Maybelot

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: The View From Maybelot

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I am glad Hubby doesn't read Fogbow threads. We might have a log splitter purchased and stored somewherz.

Hubby taught both of our boys and the neighborhood kids how to split logs. It was fun watching their determination. Zen Buddhist Son's Lady can split logs. She's a keeper. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

This is about 3/4 of the wood we have to split. There’s one more tree that’s been cut to firewood length, but we won’t split that until we come back from our Alaska cruise.

I’m not terribly excited about going on a cruise, but here’s the thing: My sister, who is only a year older than me, has early-onset Alzheimer’s. She’s currently in a clinical trial for an Alzheimer’s treatment, and she’s convinced she’s got the real thing, “or it’s the strongest placebo effect ever.” Anyhoo, she asked us to do a few bucket list things with her and her husband while she’s still with it enough to enjoy them. So we’re doing this cruise and next year we’ll do a river cruise in Europe.

Meanwhile, back at the woodpile… Most of this is red oak. The trees were already dead, and the wood is fairly well seasoned and will be ready to burn this year. We have it on the pavement in the sun so it can shed the last of it’s moisture.

There is also some poplar. One of the oaks took out a live poplar tree by accident when we were cutting it down. Since the poplar was live, it will have to wait a year or so before it’s ready to burn. Poplar is also day time wood. It’s light-weight and burns fast, so we wouldn’t use that in the wood stove overnight. For that we use black locust when we have it (burns long and hot), otherwise we use oak.

There’s maybe three cords of wood here (it’s hard to guesstimate til it’s stacked - a cord is 4x4x8 feet). We’ll use 4 to 6 cords over the winter between this house and the cabin. We have a cord and a half stacked down there already.
1533F947-F96E-42C7-A9F3-3595B2D76D4A.jpeg
1533F947-F96E-42C7-A9F3-3595B2D76D4A.jpeg (269.29 KiB) Viewed 1585 times

ETA: The wood splitter. It’s all hydraulic, so I can operate it myself.
6620D01D-3135-494B-8944-8635B6E576D1.jpeg
6620D01D-3135-494B-8944-8635B6E576D1.jpeg (258.96 KiB) Viewed 1579 times

And we haul the wood from down below up to the house with our ATV and trailer.

E3B49955-8355-457D-AADA-40C19D72D4DE.jpeg
E3B49955-8355-457D-AADA-40C19D72D4DE.jpeg (285.76 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Chores at your place look like fun!
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

OMG. Even dried oak chunks are heavy. I'd be dying after a day of feeding the splitter.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

bill_g wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:47 am OMG. Even dried oak chunks are heavy. I'd be dying after a day of feeding the splitter.
We have this awesome woodsplitter (a Wolfe Ridge 28 Pro - if you're in the market, I highly recommend it). It has a hydraulic log lifter, so all I have to do is roll the log onto the lifter plate that sits right on the ground, then the hydraulics pick it up and I can roll it onto the bed. The wedge is also hydraulic, so I just use a lever to raise or lower it, then use another lever to operate the ram, and presto! I couldn't operate our old woodsplitter without help, but I can manage this one all by myself (someone else does have to actually cut down the trees, though -- that's a bit beyond my capabilities).

Having said all that, it's still a workout. Most logs have to be split a number of times, and after the first split the quadrants are still around 20-30 lbs. And all this wood is going to have to be stacked after it dries in a couple of weeks.

But I'm in my happy place. There is something so satisfying in that crack that happens when the splitter finally breaks the tension in the wood, and the wedge runs through the log like a knife through butter. I really can do this all day.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:06 am
bill_g wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:47 am OMG. Even dried oak chunks are heavy. I'd be dying after a day of feeding the splitter.
We have this awesome woodsplitter (a Wolfe Ridge 28 Pro - if you're in the market, I highly recommend it). It has a hydraulic log lifter, so all I have to do is roll the log onto the lifter plate that sits right on the ground, then the hydraulics pick it up and I can roll it onto the bed. The wedge is also hydraulic, so I just use a lever to raise or lower it, then use another lever to operate the ram, and presto! I couldn't operate our old woodsplitter without help, but I can manage this one all by myself (someone else does have to actually cut down the trees, though -- that's a bit beyond my capabilities).

Having said all that, it's still a workout. Most logs have to be split a number of times, and after the first split the quadrants are still around 20-30 lbs. And all this wood is going to have to be stacked after it dries in a couple of weeks.

But I'm in my happy place. There is something so satisfying in that crack that happens when the splitter finally breaks the tension in the wood, and the wedge runs through the log like a knife through butter. I really can do this all day.
It smells good too. There is great satisfaction in physical work. I enjoy it, but I need a steady diet of water and Tylenol to keep it up all day.

Glad to hear your splitter has a log lift. That makes all the difference for us mere mortals. I'd get about four cut pieces up there and be done for the morning. Too much weight for me.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

It’s been very dry here in the Ridge and Valley section of the Appalachians. It finally rained yesterday off and on all day and throughout the night, and now it’s starting to clear up a bit. But there are lovely clouds hanging in the ravines, and spots on the mountainside will be lit up with sunlight as the light shifts. My phone’s camera can’t do it justice.
014E09E2-2F9F-46DC-B042-9796FBF77E8C.jpeg
014E09E2-2F9F-46DC-B042-9796FBF77E8C.jpeg (135.74 KiB) Viewed 1397 times
Tiredretiredlawyer

Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

I love those views. Someplace around here I have a directory of cotton candy clouds. IE: I'm high enough to be above the low morning fog just after dawn when inversions set up. All you see are mountaintop islands set in a sea of white. The phone cam never gathers the scene correctly.

ETA: found one!
Attachments
Nicolai to Megler Aug 2016.jpg
Nicolai to Megler Aug 2016.jpg (460.42 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

I envy you.

On the North Fork and in Texoma there are no mountains. :(
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

A very special shout-out to the couple in the brown Nissan pick-up truck with the dog. I don’t mind people pulling into my entrance - it’s one of the few safe places on the mountain to pull over to let faster drivers pass; to turn around; to switch drivers; to check your e-mail; or even to allow a carsick passenger out so they can barf — not my favorite, but these roads are windy and some people are prone, and I certainly understand why you wouldn’t want them doing that in the car.

What I don’t understand is this: When your dog decides to take a shit inside your truck, why in the world would you think it’s OK to throw a Scot towel full of dog shit in the middle of my driveway? I mean, you have an entire pickup truck you could’ve put that in.

People are jerks.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

More new windows going in today. These are before and after picture of the bathroom. The only “before” picture I have is one of Stormy with the far wall in the background. We’ll have a jetted soaking tub under the window when the bathroom is done. We also have new windows for the living room — I’ll post before/after for those when they’re in.
40FF9233-55A4-44DF-BA13-A82792E0D538.jpeg
40FF9233-55A4-44DF-BA13-A82792E0D538.jpeg (153.52 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
32AF1E50-E2C1-422B-A5D1-E778108C82D3.jpeg
32AF1E50-E2C1-422B-A5D1-E778108C82D3.jpeg (156.99 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Working cats: Inspector Stormy
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Where's Stormy in the second photo? In the shop vac? :shock:

Oh, probably the cardboard box, of course. :doh:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

UGH! I'm on crutches!

I was trying to organize a bunch of stuff -- keep, donate, landfill -- and as I was stepping between piles of stuff I tripped and twisted my knee. I got up and shook it off -- I was OK for quite a while, then I sat down without moving for a couple of hours and couldn't stand up. I went to the ER, they gave me a knee-immobilizing brace and prednisone. I'll have to use crutches for a while.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Life will bite you right on the ass, huh?
:bighug: :bighug:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

We should have a Fogbow’s Most Ridiculous Accidents contest.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Oh, noes, Maybenaut!!!!! :o
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Ouch!

Hope you get better soon. :bighug:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Sorry to hear that, Maybenaut - I hope you get better fast!
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, get 100% better, not just maybebetter. :bighug:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:bighug: I am so happy it’s only crutches. :bighug: :bighug:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Maybenaut

The View From Maybelot

Post by Maybenaut »

We ran out of water pressure (again) today. First time it was the capacitor for the well pump. Second time it was the bladder tank. My husband and son-in-law (a plumber) were getting ready to pull the pump from the well to check it, and they discovered the ground around the well was soft. The remnants of Nicole dumped quite a bit of rain here so they weren’t sure if it was that or a leak in the pipe carrying the well water to the house. They dug down a bit and turned the well pump on and got a geyser. Now they knew it was the pipe so they had to dig that out — and they found the problem.

Previous owners: If you don’t have the right size fitting, just use the closest-fitting one that you have, pack the joint with plumber’s putty, wrap it in electrical tape, and hope it holds until it becomes the next owner’s problem.

Unbelievable. This has probably been leaking for a long time. But it will all get fixed (right this time), and hopefully the unnecessary cycling on and off hasn’t damaged the well pump motor.
2A37AED4-E6D2-490E-AEA5-CDA3005048F5.jpeg
2A37AED4-E6D2-490E-AEA5-CDA3005048F5.jpeg (154.42 KiB) Viewed 894 times
ETA: The part on the left had plumber’s putty; the part on the right was soldered. Both fevered in electrical tape. Both failed.
B58508E6-1BAB-4191-9C19-33965D21971E.jpeg
B58508E6-1BAB-4191-9C19-33965D21971E.jpeg (328.08 KiB) Viewed 877 times
MN-Skeptic

The View From Maybelot

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Maybenaut wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:05 am Previous owners: If you don’t have the right size fitting, just use the closest-fitting one that you have, pack the joint with plumber’s putty, wrap it in electrical tape, and hope it holds until it becomes the next owner’s problem.
:brickwallsmall:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”