Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Gas

Patagoniagirl

Re: Gas

Post by Patagoniagirl »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:14 pm
Patagoniagirl wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:04 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:42 pm

But that's true of anything, including food and housing and electricity.

So, what was your point? That folks of limited income flout the law? Or they gripe about gas prices because it cuts into their income so they don't pay their tags renewal, taxes, and tires.

I certainly don't begrudge people who are fortunate to have some disposal of income. I do begrudge those who have that, passing judgment on those less fortunate. I hope you and yours are fortunate, but don't think I'm not annoyed that your statement
"How are you affording tags, tires....". I felt that that was a slam towards people with little financial ability and if they can afford that...shut up and pay more for gas without bitching. Like no one is bitching about gas. Right?
Boy did you miss my point. Had you read more carefully before arguing with me, you would have seen I was speaking specifically to the "gas tax holiday" and how little it matters in the grand scheme of gas prices. People are acting like it's going to actually do something for the price of gas. It's not. It's a grand total of 18 cents a gallon.
You didn't originally specify .18 cents. But your comment that .18/gal. causes you to ponder whether or not people who are pinched by gas increases - how do they pay for tires, insurance and etc. Is telling.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:20 pm Maybe I'm the outlier (as usual) but if you can't afford an extra $3-$4.00 per fill up, how the hell are you buying tires and tags and insurance?
Here is what you posted.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Falling gas prices? Here's why that's bad news for Biden...
Justin Baragona @justinbaragona wrote: Wait a minute...

Now that sky-high gas costs have been going down for a month, it seems that Fox News is suddenly worried that the dropping prices could hurt "mom-and-pop gas stations."
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:doh: like anyone gas station had to ever break into their margins. :brickwallsmall:
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

mom and pop gas stations?

bwahahaha

no such thing anymore.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:54 pm Falling gas prices? Here's why that's bad news for Biden...
Justin Baragona @justinbaragona wrote: Wait a minute...

Now that sky-high gas costs have been going down for a month, it seems that Fox News is suddenly worried that the dropping prices could hurt "mom-and-pop gas stations."
ARE there any mom and pop gas stations anymore? Around here (Cleveland, Ohio) they all seem to be gas company chains (although I realize that some are franchisees) or convenience store chains.

I think that, if there are any mom and pop stations, they make more money on selling beer and cigarettes than they do on gas.

Besides, the pump price of the gas is not as important as the margin (profit per gallon) and the volume sold. If the station was selling 10,000 gallons at $5.00 per gallon, with a $0.30 margin, they make the same profit selling 10,000 gallons at $4.00 per gallon, assuming the same $0.30 margin. And lower prices mean that they probably sell more gas.

I think this is just Fox saying "Gas prices are up, which is bad for Joe Biden" and then turning around and saying "Gas prices are down, which is bad for Joe Biden". I'm surprised that Fox hasn't yet explained why the sun coming up in the morning is bad for Joe Biden. No matter what happens anywhere in the world, it is bad for Joe Biden.
raison de arizona

Oil company CEO compensation figures are out, and they are really bringing home the bacon! Overall, there has been a $45M increase for the year, bringing total CEO compensation up to ~$400M. Congrats to them, and let's take a peek at a couple of the big winners:

Michael Hennigan of Marathon Petroleum made over $21m for '21, a $5m increase from '20.

Darren Woods of Exxon made over $23m for '21, a $7m increase from '20.

Overall, oil company CEO compensation has crept up to an average of over $14M/yr!

A round of applause for the big winners in the oil price wars. Hear! Hear!

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... y-analysis
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Well… good for somebody on his social media team for this Trumpian tweet.
(I’m sure there will be tough criticism of it, but…)
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Fact-checking the claim that prices were falling quickly. It took 5 weeks to get to the peak the last time US gas prices were $4.44, it took 6 weeks to drop to this point from the peak, and the change is accelerating. Checks out. https://ycharts.com/indicators/us_gas_price
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I'm not sure this is a good look for the Biden admin to be taking credit for falling prices when they've been saying Biden doesn't control the prices. Can't be both.

ETA: I topped off my tank today @ $3.949 with the gasbuddy card)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

This will limit fertilizer production.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Gas

Well, crap. That's bad for Biden because...
Javier Blas @JavierBlas wrote: BREAKING: OPEC+ Panel Recommends 2M B/D Cut to Output Limit | #OOTT
Volkonski
Verified:

Gas

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona

Gas

An old tweet that falls under the category of things that make you go :think:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Gas

Post by AndyinPA »

:brickwallsmall:

Horrid on so many levels.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Gas

Post by Volkonski »

RTH10260

Gas

Post by RTH10260 »

REUTERS wrote:The region has had to find alternative supplies, including LNG, but the arrival of multiple cargoes of the superchilled fuel has exposed Europe's lack of "regasification" capacity, as plants that convert the seaborne fuel back to gas are operating at maximum limit.
Volkonski
Verified:

Gas

Post by Volkonski »

tek

Gas

Post by tek »

That's about a week of the planned OPEC cuts
RTH10260

Gas

Post by RTH10260 »

A European journalist opined these days that Biden is letting the Strategic Oil Reserve run low, and that he thinks that is dangerous at this point in time.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Gas

Post by Foggy »

But it's like tek said, 15 million barrels is pretty small, so if our strategic reserve is really affected by that, we need to increase the strategic reserve ...

No, wait. We need to declare war on fossil fuels, and have an all-out national effort to convert to clean, renewable energy NOW.

Like Obama, Biden is missing a big opportunity here. How do you think the youth of our nation would react to a call for them to rise up and solve our national energy problems, by doing GOOD, and making a permanent difference? I think a good leader could get a huge response, but it's like declaring war -- it would have to be a radical call to action, and our gutless leaders will never do it. Only when the voters have suffered enough from global weather weirding will the change come. Then we'll learn how to engineer our climate.

Blah blah blah I know I'm just blabberin'. That's how my poor li'l brainbone works. :oldman:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
tek

Gas

Post by tek »

To confound things, I'm picking up my new V8-powered vehicle Friday :shock:
Volkonski
Verified:

Gas

Post by Volkonski »

Return to “Economy”