Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Phil Latelist is a guy who collects stamps.

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Phil Latelist is a guy who collects stamps.

Post by Foggy »

Or sumpin'. Anyway, I now have two stamp collections that were compiled by my father and his brother in the 1930s and 40s. Keep in mind, their father (my grandfather) was head of the Naval Hydrographic Office in WWII, and he got mail from all over the planet.

So my mission, which I have not only accepted but assigned it to myself, is to 1) obtain an honest valuation of the collections, and 2) convert them into currency, maybe, depending on part 1.

Interesting stuff, I know extremely nothing about stamps.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
roadscholar

Re: Phil Latelist is a guy who collects stamps.

Post by roadscholar »

I is a numismatist myself, (and pardon if you know this) and rest assured there are printed guides to everything. I wouldn’t try to research them online; the books are actually easier to use and more complete.

There’s sub-category books with pictures and often values you wouldn’t think exist… “New Jersey Coppers by Die Variety,” “California Fractional Gold,” “Medieval Coinage of Europe,” you name it.

I’m sure the same goes for stamps.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

My experience is that stamp dealer shops (if you can find one) don't want to talk to you anymore.

You want mine from the 60's to go with yours from the 30's?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
much ado

Post by much ado »

Well, you could take a couple of snapshots of a page or two and some of us might be able to identify them and look them up on eBay. Unless they are very old or mint never hinged (MNH), they will probably not be worth a lot. I used to like vintage Japanese stamps.

I did a search on eBay of US stamp lots that had actually SOLD recently and sorted from highest to lowest. This might give you some idea of what kind of US stamp collections go for $thousands...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... =1&_sop=16

ETA: I just reread your OP and you say they are from all over. Some of them might be interesting...
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

It sounds as if your collections are a bit later in the century, but if you happen to have any Rhodesian doubleheads, they'd probably be worth some money.

Also, do the collections happen to have any stamps from Tristan da Cunha?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I can't answer that ... yet. :biggrin:

But thanks everyone for the great suggestions and info, this is probably going to be a long-term project for me. I can join a stamp club here for $10/yr and go to an auction on Oct. 3, so I will look into that. I haven't really even opened the binders yet, and I will try to learn about all the stamps, knowing that (Murphy's Law) the one I ignore will be the most valuable.

My dad is not in any rush, in fact he thinks the whole thing is a little silly. "They're probably too old to be worth anything." So I have the freedom to undertake an interesting project, which may inadvertently cause me to learn something new. :idea:
much ado

Post by much ado »

Foggy wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:21 pm I can't answer that ... yet. :biggrin:

But thanks everyone for the great suggestions and info, this is probably going to be a long-term project for me. I can join a stamp club here for $10/yr and go to an auction on Oct. 3, so I will look into that. I haven't really even opened the binders yet, and I will try to learn about all the stamps, knowing that (Murphy's Law) the one I ignore will be the most valuable.

My dad is not in any rush, in fact he thinks the whole thing is a little silly. "They're probably too old to be worth anything." So I have the freedom to undertake an interesting project, which may inadvertently cause me to learn something new. :idea:
Be very careful. You might get hooked. It can happen.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, I just might. I can imagine worser fates. :think:

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”