Friday
2%
Sat
No votes
Sun
No votes

Total votes: 45

LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Re: Chauvin Jury deliberation poll

Post by LM K »

I hope this brings some comfort to that poor 9 year old who saw Chauvin murdered.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:42 pm
Volkonski wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:35 pm Justin Baragona
@justinbaragona
· 12m
Judge Jeanine Pirro (yes, that Jeanine Pirro): "Clearly the verdict is supported by the facts... make no mistake, the facts are solid on this verdict, this verdict will be held on appeal."
:jawdrop:
mine too.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
filly

Post by filly »

LM K wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:46 pm I hope this brings some comfort to that poor 9 year old who saw Chauvin murdered.
Laura Coates (former MN AUSA) says this happening in front of the 9 year old could be an aggravating factor in sentencing. IANAML, just restating what she said.
sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:35 pm Justin Baragona
@justinbaragona
· 12m
Judge Jeanine Pirro (yes, that Jeanine Pirro): "Clearly the verdict is supported by the facts... make no mistake, the facts are solid on this verdict, this verdict will be held on appeal."
In a case with "substantial evidence," that's not the standard for a reversal. Judge Jeanine Pirro as usual doesn't know what she's talking about.
Neither disbarred nor disciplined after representing President Barack Obama. :oldman:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Mr Obama statement.
Today, a jury in Minneapolis did the right thing.

For almost a year, George Floyd’s death under the knee of a police officer has reverberated around the world — inspiring murals and marches, sparking conversations in living rooms and new legislation. But a more basic question has always remained: would justice be done?

In this case, at least, we have our answer. But if we’re being honest with ourselves, we know that true justice is about much more than a single verdict in a single trial.

True justice requires that we come to terms with the fact that Black Americans are treated differently, every day. It requires us to recognize that millions of our friends, family, and fellow citizens live in fear that their next encounter with law enforcement could be their last. And it requires us to do the sometimes thankless, often difficult, but always necessary work of making the America we know more like the America we believe in.

While today’s verdict may have been a necessary step on the road to progress, it was far from a sufficient one. We cannot rest. We will need to follow through with the concrete reforms that will reduce and ultimately eliminate racial bias in our criminal justice system. We will need to redouble efforts to expand economic opportunity for those communities that have been too long marginalized.

And as we continue the fight, we can draw strength from the millions of people — especially young people — who have marched and protested and spoken up over the last year, shining a light on inequity and calling for change. Justice is closer today not simply because of this verdict, but because of their work.

Michelle and I send our prayers to the Floyd family, in the hopes that they may find peace. And we stand shoulder-to-shoulder with all those who are committed to guaranteeing every American the full measure of justice that George and so many others have been denied.
Hic sunt dracones
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Estiveoshot_20210420_150241.jpg
Image Image Image Image
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

My greatest President. He always, always finds the right words to say.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

GUILTY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Attachments
guilty.jpg
guilty.jpg (42.85 KiB) Viewed 2183 times
sterngard friegen

Those handcuffs need to be made tighter.
Neither disbarred nor disciplined after representing President Barack Obama. :oldman:
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

now. What do the aggravating acts do to the sentence?
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

sterngard friegen wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:09 pm Those handcuffs need to be made tighter.
:yeahthat:
With his hands twisted up as far as they can be bent!
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Reality Check wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:21 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:20 pm He never dropped his head, closed his eyes, looked down...just no reaction other than looking confused at first and then angry. I hope he feels as helpless as George Floyd did.
I found his demeanor very strange. I could not read it at all. He had to expect conviction though.
A criminal defendant in this situation can’t win. No matter how they react, someone’s going to criticize the reaction.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

I chose Tuesday but I don't really know why. Just a feeling
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

sad-cafe wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:10 pm now. What do the aggravating acts do to the sentence?
Does he get sentenced on each of the three counts or does he get a single sentence based on the more serious count? Concurrent sentences? Consecutive sentences? The recommended sentence for first offender second degree murder is 12.5 years. Piling a consecutive sentence for all three could add up to nearly 30 years.
Largo al factotum.
filly

Post by filly »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:50 pm
Reality Check wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:21 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:20 pm He never dropped his head, closed his eyes, looked down...just no reaction other than looking confused at first and then angry. I hope he feels as helpless as George Floyd did.
I found his demeanor very strange. I could not read it at all. He had to expect conviction though.
A criminal defendant in this situation can’t win. No matter how they react, someone’s going to criticize the reaction.
Save for the fact that he had a weird visage when he was snuffing George Floyd’s life out. I think he’s mentally ill.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I didn't watch the trial at all, but I followed it on the news. I don't know why, but I'm not surprised by the verdict. It seemed to be a solid case, and the sense I got was that the defense didn't have much of a case to put on. I'm not so sure that in the long run this will make much of a difference. It's a great victory in this case; I'm just not sure that it will matter in the long run for how the next cop acts in a bad situation, which they tend to make worse all the time.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sterngard friegen

Chauvin could only murder George Floyd once. The murder two count will be the sentencing count unless the judge for some reasons grants a new trial.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

filly wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:57 pm
Reality Check wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:21 pm I found his demeanor very strange. I could not read it at all. He had to expect conviction though.
Save for the fact that he had a weird visage when he was snuffing George Floyd’s life out. I think he’s mentally ill.
Defense never requested a mental evaluation. In hindsight it may not have been a bad idea.
Largo al factotum.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

zekeb wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:00 pm
filly wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:57 pm

Defense never requested a mental evaluation. In hindsight it may not have been a bad idea.
I doubt Chauvin would have agreed to it.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Foggy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:27 pm I picked today in the poll. I didn't know what the jury would do.

I'm gonna go down to Denny's and indite GIL Klayman to celebrate.

Maybe in a few days, I'm a bizzy rooster. :oldman:
Use DoorDash and have them deliver your grand slam at home. It is safer, and a time saver.
101010 :towel:
Lani

Post by Lani »

Screenshot_2021-04-20 Stacey Abrams on Twitter.png
Screenshot_2021-04-20 Stacey Abrams on Twitter.png (19.12 KiB) Viewed 2072 times
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”