King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

pipistrelle

Re: King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Post by pipistrelle »

Gregg wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:12 pm
I'm not actually angry or even annoyed, mostly amused at the networks sending people over who have never taken the minimal effort it takes to know some of these things and to have enough background in the UK to go on air and talk coherently for their 2 hour segment about things that make sense. They're good or great journalist I guess, but they are woefully prepared to do a deep history and customs of the realm assignment in England.
The queen was 96 years old. Her death wasn't a surprise at that age. They had time to prepare if they were going to cover that much time.
MN-Skeptic

Re: King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I know folks were wondering…

chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:39 am streaming now. so "rewind" to see the start at Cardiff Castle and Balmoral (various locations changing), recording at the time of posting is 4+ hours.
The goat in the early minutes is the mascot of the third battalion of the Royal Welsh Regiment, a tradition dating possibly to the Battle of Bunker Hill.

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2022-09- ... iff-castle

Shenkin the goat plays key role in King Charles' Proclamation at Cardiff Castle

Further background in this 2018 BBC story:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-43318339
Royal Welsh finally captures new regimental goat Shenkin IV
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:22 pm
I'm not actually angry or even annoyed, mostly amused at the networks sending people over who have never taken the minimal effort it takes to know some of these things and to have enough background in the UK to go on air and talk coherently for their 2 hour segment about things that make sense. They're good or great journalist I guess, but they are woefully prepared to do a deep history and customs of the realm assignment in England.
The queen was 96 years old. Her death wasn't a surprise at that age. They had time to prepare if they were going to cover that much time.
Well, as this was done 70 years ago and our country is not one to keep up on other country's tradition details, I guess this could be a factor. We could see what the TV news did last time, but well, it was the coronation that was the first media event not the prior event.

I'm sad but I then have to remember, she had 70 years of a gracious reign that even developed into love from countries not in the Commonwealth, such as the US. For all the difficulty over the years, she was always there as something to admire.
101010 :towel:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Took the time to watch King Charles's Speech. Very good, best I've ever seen him deliver.

I have to admit I was somewhat amused at the "experts" who were saying "oh he will take another name as the name Charles is cursed" and "he will take time to announce his royal name" and he immediately shut that shit down by announcing himself as Charles III. Why the hell wouldn't he call himself that? He spent around 50 years as Charles Prince of Wales, he isn't going to change that now because of people with self important sticks up their asses, and "Experts" who don't have a clue.
Hic sunt dracones
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:55 pm I know folks were wondering…

Becuase of course Andrew gets the dogs. Of course he does. :)
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

northland10 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:42 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:22 pm
Well, as this was done 70 years ago and our country is not one to keep up on other country's tradition details, I guess this could be a factor. We could see what the TV news did last time, but well, it was the coronation that was the first media event not the prior event.

I'm sad but I then have to remember, she had 70 years of a gracious reign that even developed into love from countries not in the Commonwealth, such as the US. For all the difficulty over the years, she was always there as something to admire.
News organizations used to prepare for major death announcements. They had a lot of time to have info on file, IMO.

There is a lot of negative commentary on social media about colonization. It would be interesting to see the alternative universe where colonization (including in the Americas) never happened.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Ironically, they should not be screaming about QE II, as under her reign England let go of a lot of their colonies.

A lot of it is Russian agitation propoganda of course, but it is really typical. Its a lot easier to bitch about past injustices than try to fix the world that you have today.
Hic sunt dracones
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I wish I'd saved it, but I saw a cartoon of several corgis running from from the Pearly Gates towards the foreground, apparently greeting the Queen as she arrived,

It got a little dusty in here after that.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Suranis wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:09 pm Ironically, they should not be screaming about QE II, as under her reign England let go of a lot of their colonies.

A lot of it is Russian agitation propoganda of course, but it is really typical. Its a lot easier to bitch about past injustices than try to fix the world that you have today.
An article…

Queen Elizabeth: monarch who had to adjust to the shift from Empire to Commonwealth

https://theconversation.com/queen-eliza ... mmonwealth
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

From the White House, according to the pool report: This morning, President Biden formally accepted an invitation to attend the State Funeral Service of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on September 19. He will be accompanied by the First Lady.
From what I heard on CNN, the invite was for POTUS and FLOTUS and that's it. tfg should be howling soon. I'm sure her and his spawn thought they'd all get a ticket.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Kendra wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:56 pm
From the White House, according to the pool report: This morning, President Biden formally accepted an invitation to attend the State Funeral Service of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on September 19. He will be accompanied by the First Lady.
From what I heard on CNN, the invite was for POTUS and FLOTUS and that's it. tfg should be howling soon. I'm sure her and his spawn thought they'd all get a ticket.
What are the odds the trumps would "try" to crash? I'd love to see him turned away, especially after already paying for the flight over. He'll probably announce some urgent thing he has to attend to here and he'll be "unable to attend" in order to avoid the embarrassment that no one wants his sorry ass there in the first place. :roll:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Should be interesting to see what they try, but IIRC, aren't both of his passports expired? Let alone, would the UK let him in anyway?

Meanwhile, I just found this on FB, OMG, I'm dying! :loser:

Monitor warning...I just choked on my wine...

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www. facebook.com/FigureSkatingMoments/posts/pfbid02JhoiGWKeHzXyzJirWrdCGRQTWuNFt2UuarAvUV7wWVsMgkjEKBofeCyFbzUJYY8el
Her Majesty The Queen with Olympic Gold Medallists John Curry, Robin Cousins and Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean.
Link won't embed, so link broken.

:bighug:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I assume they are moving in with Spuds MacKenzie. :groupdance: :groupdance:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

MsDaisy wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:10 pm
Kendra wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:56 pm
What are the odds the trumps would "try" to crash? I'd love to see him turned away, especially after already paying for the flight over. He'll probably announce some urgent thing he has to attend to here and he'll be "unable to attend" in order to avoid the embarrassment that no one wants his sorry ass there in the first place. :roll:

An indictment and turning over his passports as a condition of bail works fine for me. :thumbsup:

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

If someone in the UK would pick me up a print edition of the Time of London with the Obit I would be thankful. I'll pay for it and the cost to ship it to me.

Ben-Prime?

much ado

Post by much ado »

Gregg wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:51 pm If someone in the UK would pick me up a print edition of the Time of London with the Obit I would be thankful. I'll pay for it and the cost to ship it to me.

Ben-Prime?
According to this web page here...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/help/article ... nday-times

You can order back copies of The Times from this site...

https://www.ocsmedia.net/

They ship worldwide.

ETA: The current Sunday Times contains several articles about Elizabeth II. The cost is 25 GBP. I'm not sure whether that includes shipping.

ETA again: It won't give you a price until you specify your country. So I assume this means the price includes shipping. The weekday issues are 15 GBP to US, but it won't let you select the most recent dates at the moment...
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:50 am
Gregg wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:56 pm Ummm. No.

Up to Elizabeth or at most Victoria they never really wrapped their head around letting women do it all. Which is strange because let's face it, history has judged the Kings of England and Britain as about 50/50 good/bad and the Queens who reined are a solid 4 and 1 with a tie if you count Jane Grey.
I always count Jane Grey, myself. I will die on that hill. Not unlike Jane Grey.
She was Queen for about 9 days, right?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Trying to remember who the 4 "good" queens were. There was Elizabeth I & II, Victoria, and the bad one was "Bloody" Mary Tudor. I suppose I could look up Wiki but too lazy.
Hic sunt dracones
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I thought they were divorced - is this a different Sarah that I just haven't previously heard about, an interesting living arrangement or did they get back together?
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:39 pm I wish I'd saved it, but I saw a cartoon of several corgis running from from the Pearly Gates towards the foreground, apparently greeting the Queen as she arrived,

It got a little dusty in here after that.
Awwww.....

I'd love to be greeted that way when I cross the Bifrost...
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Kendra wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:13 pm Should be interesting to see what they try, but IIRC, aren't both of his passports expired? Let alone, would the UK let him in anyway?

Meanwhile, I just found this on FB, OMG, I'm dying! :loser:

Monitor warning...I just choked on my wine...
That was f'ing hilarious!! Gods, trump is just daft. :loser: is right!! (even in a photo finish)
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Suranis wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:03 pm Trying to remember who the 4 "good" queens were. There was Elizabeth I & II, Victoria, and the bad one was "Bloody" Mary Tudor. I suppose I could look up Wiki but too lazy.
This article doesn't specify "good" or "bad" queens, but it does list all of them and give a thimbleful of info about them and their reigns. It's a bit older - it still has Victoria as the longest-ruling queen and Prince Philip is still alive at the time it was written.

https://sites.google.com/site/britishmo ... nd-Britain

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”