King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Re: King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Post by northland10 »

Gregg wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:12 pm Plus, I stayed up until 4 AM to watch the Ascension Council live and those twats on MSNBC muted out the sound and talked about how historic it all was and how important it all was and how big a deal we got to see it live and JUST SHUT UP SO WE CAN SEE IT< OKAY!

They are afraid that if they shut up for 30 seconds they'll cease to exist, they'd talk over a concert to explain the notes.
101010 :towel:
Kendra

Re: King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Post by Kendra »

Paddington Bear pays tribute to the Queen months after they warmed nation's hearts with hilarious marmalade sandwich sketch ahead of star-studded Platinum Jubilee concert
The Paddington twitter shared tribute it read: “Thank you Ma’am, for everything” ❤️🐻
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Off Topic
northland10 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:14 pm
Gregg wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:12 pm They are afraid that if they shut up for 30 seconds they'll cease to exist, they'd talk over a concert to explain the notes.
I actually got to see PDQ Bach live with our city's philharmonic orchestra when I was younger. It was SO much fun!
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:bighug:
Attachments
corgi.jpg
corgi.jpg (95.28 KiB) Viewed 816 times
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Kendra wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:41 pm:bighug:
:crying:

So sweet...
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

northland10 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:14 pm
Gregg wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:12 pm Plus, I stayed up until 4 AM to watch the Ascension Council live and those twats on MSNBC muted out the sound and talked about how historic it all was and how important it all was and how big a deal we got to see it live and JUST SHUT UP SO WE CAN SEE IT< OKAY!

They are afraid that if they shut up for 30 seconds they'll cease to exist, they'd talk over a concert to explain the notes.
Off Topic
Ah, one of the classics. Except it's different from the LP version I first heard in the (gulp) 1960s. Thanks for alerting me to this later TV version.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:42 pm
Kendra wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:41 pm:bighug:
:crying:

So sweet...
I've seen some lovely tributes on FB and elsewhere, but that's at the top of my list.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Thanks, when those two things were actually happening <SNBC was explaining to me that Camilla and William had just been appointed to the Privy Council recently so that they could see Charles taking the oath. I guess HM knew that tickets would be hard to get and if she hadn't put their names on the list they might not get in.
During the Proclamation at St. James's Palace Courtyard, they were making sure that viewers knew the St. James's Palace was the in fact place of Government and not the more well known Buckingham Palace which was purchased by William IV. In fact, an Ambassador to the UK is still called the Ambassador the the Court of St James.
While the Proclamation was being read at the Royal Exchange, they had a Business talking head on explaining that London has different boroughs, and most Americans are familiar with Westminster where most of the Crown entities are, or Whitehall where the Government executive offices are, the "City of London" is a separate thing from those and is most like Wall Street in New York, where the Financial Center is. They even explained that the building you can see when they turn away from the Royal Exchange is the famous Bank of England, which is like the US Federal Reserve (it's not really, but I digress).... (also too they never point out which of the 15 buildings that are not the Royal Exchange is in fact The Bank of England, I'm not sure they guy knew)(Also also alsa, The Royal Exchange is not in the City of London proper but is more exactly in the Ward of Cornhill, across the street form both the City of London and the Bank of England and I am positive talking head didn't know that)

Pro tip... quit sending Americans to report on 1,000 year old ceremonies in Britain unless they actually know anything about Britain beyond the fact that it used to be Paul McCartney's backing band.

God Save the King.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

Ok.....
Swift geolocation bits..... 8-)

All the shots of the Proclamation I saw were from a height, looking down on to the entrance to the Royal Exchange, the building in a Greco-Roman style with dirty great columns and a portico a-la Parthenon

Fun facts, the Royal Exhange is the 3rd incarnation on the site, the first was opened with a charter from the FIRST Queen ELizabeth, in 1660 the trading floor was expanded with facilities for shopping and retail therapy, (arguably the fiorst shopping mall in Great Britain since the Roman Occupation). burnt down in The Great Fire of London 1666, rebuilt in 1669. Burnt down AGAIN in 1838 (allegedly by a heater in Lloyds Coffee House.... insurance job..? :lol: ....) rebuilt and re-opened in 1844 by Queen Victoria. Declined as a trading environment post WW2.

The "Royal" in the title means that the retail units are tres expensive, likes of Tiffany, Boodles, Fortnum & Mason, Hermes etc

If you were watching the City Proclamation, the band of the Guards were at attention facing the Royal Exchange
The Lord Mayor and assorted dignitaries were standing on the steps of the Royal Exchange facing them
The camera shots were from the lower roof level of the Bank of England which is to the left as you face the Royal Exchange

Interesting...( ish) fact the second, to the RIGHT as you face the Royal Exchange, directly opposite and facing the BoE is/were the offices of VTB Capital, the trading offices and London offices of the investment banking arm of the Russian VTB Bank. Fortunately, due to sanctions, the offices have been closed the logos and Russian flags no longer fly, which could have been a touch embarrassing shot otherwise..... :fingerwag:

I spent a hectic and fun filled period of my life in the early 90's working in the City, based out of what was then the Queens and now Kings stockbrokers, Cazenove and Co. , terribly blueblood/white shoe firm so I have copious memories of a now bygone culture.

Dress code (for men) was lounge suits of a sober cut, black, charcoal, navy or grey, shirt, tie, jacket to be worn at all times except when sitting at a desk. Shoes, black, shiny, laced most certainly NOT slip on, any parvenu who wore brown would be reminded that "One doesn't wear brown, in town".

However, the younger amongst us would rebel slightly with vivid counter contrasting lining to the suits jackets or in my case a wide selection of silk vest/waistcoats in a variety of colors, patterns and occasional whimsy, I still have a Winnie the Pooh waistcoat I can no longer wear due to girth expansion in the closet. interesting times indeed.....
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Gregg wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:56 pm Ummm. No.

Up to Elizabeth or at most Victoria they never really wrapped their head around letting women do it all. Which is strange because let's face it, history has judged the Kings of England and Britain as about 50/50 good/bad and the Queens who reined are a solid 4 and 1 with a tie if you count Jane Grey.
I always count Jane Grey, myself. I will die on that hill. Not unlike Jane Grey.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Perhaps should also include :

Empress Matilda (August 5, 1102–September 10, 1167)
Widow of the Holy Roman Emperor, Matilda was named by her father, Henry I of England, as his successor. She fought a long war of succession with her cousin, Stephen, who seized the throne before Matilda could be crowned.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

just reflecting on the title of the video clip aboe, re "in historic televised proclamation ceremony"

Remember the state of technology when the Queen took over her functions? TV was barely a thing, black and white and jittery, news travelled by telegram and teletype and then printed newspapers on real paper. Reporters communitcated by short wave phone calls, fading in and out. News was also too mostly just black and white and took days to weeks until the public could view it as magazine images or film intros at the cinemas. Back in the days (late 50s, 60s) Zurich main train station had a cinema with hourly repeating program, having twenty minutes of news (the rest whatever they used to fill the time). Targets was travellers that had a longer layover betweenswithing trains. For us students, we spent our midday break there to see the world news coverage.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:50 am
Gregg wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:56 pm Ummm. No.

Up to Elizabeth or at most Victoria they never really wrapped their head around letting women do it all. Which is strange because let's face it, history has judged the Kings of England and Britain as about 50/50 good/bad and the Queens who reined are a solid 4 and 1 with a tie if you count Jane Grey.
I always count Jane Grey, myself. I will die on that hill. Not unlike Jane Grey.
Who died on Tower Hill!

I learned the story from the Helena Bonham Carter movie so I was always a fan.

My won loss record is only since the Conquest of the Normans, you can add another win if you count Boudicca. Six, one and one is a playoff season.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/object ... coronation
TELEVISION REIGNS: BROADCASTING QUEEN ELIZABETH’S

In 1953, millions of viewers gathered around newly-purchased television sets to watch the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. Homes, pubs and community centres were packed with people, all eyes fixed on the grainy, black-and-white images from the television set.

In the two months preceding the coronation, British viewers bought more sets than in any previous comparable period.

Estimates put the total number installed by the time of the coronation broadcast at 2.5 million.

Fitting the large and cumbersome television cameras into Westminster Abbey, packed as it would be with the 8,251 heads of state and other distinguished guests, was itself an achievement.

Outside, the BBC had to solve the knotty problem of cabling all the cameras and microphones along the route of the procession that left the Abbey after the ceremony for a tour round London, and connecting them to the broadcasting control centres.

DID THE BROADCAST REPRESENT A CULTURAL SHIFT?

Before the transmission was agreed, Members of Parliament debated whether this democratisation of a rarefied occasion was suitably respectful. One even asked:

Might there, even, be something unseemly in the chance that a viewer could watch this solemn and significant Service with a cup of tea at his elbow?

But the Queen herself cut through the protocol and insisted that the broadcast go ahead.
► Show Spoiler
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Twenty minutes on "the Royal Family calls it a coffin, not a casket, maybe it's an English/American thing Katie but they're calling it a coffin"... and finally someone says a coffin has a flat lid, a casket a round one.

Twenty minutes.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Gregg wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:59 am Twenty minutes on "the Royal Family calls it a coffin, not a casket, maybe it's an English/American thing Katie but they're calling it a coffin"... and finally someone says a coffin has a flat lid, a casket a round one.

Twenty minutes.
There's a good explanation here, and there isn't anything more significant for them to talk about?

https://www.overnightcaskets.com/blog/c ... ifference/
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Gregg wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:35 am
Gregg wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:32 am
Ben-Prime wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:50 am

Who died on Tower Hill!

I learned the story from the Helena Bonham Carter movie so I was always a fan.

Today, Katie Tur spent 12 minutes! , I rewound and timed it, explaining the finer points of saying God Save the King instead of God Save the Queen. Maybe in the south that needed to be explained, I guess.

My won loss record is only since the Conquest of the Normans, you can add another win if you count Boudicca. Six, one and one is a playoff season.
One must always count Boudicca (Superstar!)
► Show Spoiler
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:20 pm Charles III swears oath in historic televised proclamation ceremony
https://youtu.be/1uqN6vZ0wxQ
Background on the oath by the King
He then takes an oath relating to the security of the Church of Scotland as required under the act of 1707 by which Scotland joined with England and Wales to form Great Britain. This has been done by every sovereign at their accession since 1714.

in https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/9/1 ... formalised
The above article by Al Jazeera has an astonishingly good decription of the proceedings.

Text of the oath at https://www.royal.uk/his-majesty-kings- ... h-scotland
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

streaming now. so "rewind" to see the start at Cardiff Castle and Balmoral, Edinburgh (various locations changing), recording at the time of posting is 4+ hours.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I thought the Scottish troops were magnificent. Love the pomp and pageantry.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:13 am
Gregg wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:59 am Twenty minutes on "the Royal Family calls it a coffin, not a casket, maybe it's an English/American thing Katie but they're calling it a coffin"... and finally someone says a coffin has a flat lid, a casket a round one.

Twenty minutes.
There's a good explanation here, and there isn't anything more significant for them to talk about?

https://www.overnightcaskets.com/blog/c ... ifference/
No, because they apparently covered the entire 6 hour journey on the highway, from a distance at which you couldn't tell anything, it was a line of cars, and for that 6 hours just sat like a group of people forced to sit in a waiting room the whole time and not shut up. Better yet, the motorcade you couldn't see was in Scotland and she was in London, where nothing is happening that the media is invited to. Every English person they get on screen gets the "tell us a personal story about the Queen", my favorite was when she asked "You have a Dame in front of your name (every English Subject cringes at once) so I assume you have met the Queen, can you tell us about when the Queen gave you your title...? " Well, Katie, I was Knighted by the Princess Royal" oops... it ain't always the Queen who knights someone. (Donald Trump voice) A lot of people don't know that"

I'm not actually angry or even annoyed, mostly amused at the networks sending people over who have never taken the minimal effort it takes to know some of these things and to have enough background in the UK to go on air and talk coherently for their 2 hour segment about things that make sense. They're good or great journalist I guess, but they are woefully prepared to do a deep history and customs of the realm assignment in England.

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”