Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Religious Threadjacks

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Religious Threadjacks

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I remember Doc Conspiracy and I talking about that to RC on RC Radio. We both said that the term "antichrist" could refer to any number of people. It litterally means "against/opposite/enemy of Christ." Even Nostradamus had 3 antichrists in his prophecies.
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

If Yahweh ran tinder...

gomer.jpg
gomer.jpg (90.73 KiB) Viewed 996 times
Hic sunt dracones
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Religious Threadjacks

Post by poplove »

:eek:
Dennis Prager: “There's no secular argument against adult incest”
https://www.mediamatters.org/dennis-pra ... ult-incest
poplove

Religious Threadjacks

Post by poplove »

Hyperobject Industries
@Hyperobject_Ind

In lust, we trust.
Get the full story and stream #GodForbid: The Sex Scandal That Brought Down a Dynasty on November 1 only on @Hulu.
#GodforbidDoc
MN-Skeptic

Religious Threadjacks

Post by MN-Skeptic »

poplove wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:10 pm :eek:
I would never trust a person whose only morals come from his religious beliefs. Obviously, without God dictating what he can do, he would live an amoral life. These are the same folks who twist the words of their religious texts to mean what they want them to mean.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Religious Threadjacks

Post by northland10 »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:39 pm
poplove wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:10 pm :eek:
I would never trust a person whose only morals come from his religious beliefs. Obviously, without God dictating what he can do, he would live an amoral life. These are the same folks who twist the words of their religious texts to mean what they want them to mean.
Those who think being a Christian is about following rules without understanding the reason and God, are missing the point. Folks like Prager are false teachers leading others astray for their own purpose. In the believer's world, they would be considered far from God.

If God (for those who believe in God in this way) was only about making rules, why would God come join us as fully human, as one of us? Immanuel, God with us, has no meaning if it is only about a master rulegiver God on high. Funny how their defending Christmas has nothing to do with things like say, the incarnation.

Any wonder why some of them leap to authoritarian types so easily? They look for the same thing in God.

Oh, and non-believers get the reasons behind a Scripture law on things like incest, and other sins better than many "Christians". They get it for the same reasons in scripture. It is the breaking of a relationship, breaking a victim of the environment of trust and love, it is about using others, it is about that one law folks love to break... "thou shall not covet."
101010 :towel:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Religious Threadjacks

Post by Kriselda Gray »

poplove wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:18 pm
Hyperobject Industries
@Hyperobject_Ind

In lust, we trust.
Get the full story and stream #GodForbid: The Sex Scandal That Brought Down a Dynasty on November 1 only on @Hulu.
#GodforbidDoc
That looks interesting - and I've really liked the other movies I've seen of McKay's, so I may have to check this one out
Sam the Centipede

Religious Threadjacks

Post by Sam the Centipede »

northland10 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:52 pm Folks like Prager are false teachers leading others astray for their own purpose. In the believer's world, they would be considered far from God.
Strange how so many believers can confidently identify so many "false teachers"!

Apparently your god didn't do a very good job with The Bumper Book Of Fairy Stories as its true (!) meaning can only be derived by asking "what do I wish it to say?" and then imposing that meaning on it. Of course that requires ignoring parts you don't like (slavery? compensation for rape? dietary laws? etc.). It is hypocritical to identify his reading as false and your own as correct. Both are equally valid … or invalid.

Asking your personal gods in your heads doesn't help because they apparently give different answers to different people! Ever wondered why?

Many muslims are kind family-focused folk. So is Islam lovely too, or should it also/instead be judged by the atrocities perpetrated against women and children in Iran by its Islamic regime? Under orders from the same god too (allegedly)! Whatever criteria one selects to evaluate other religions must also apply to Christianity.

You can't validly label anybody who doesn't agree with your variant of your religion as a false teacher. Either all are valid or none are valid. It's the so-called No True Scotsman fallacy. If you're a true christian with a true god, then they are true christians with true gods.

So many churches … so many gods!
Suranis

Religious Threadjacks

Post by Suranis »

Uh, sorry dude, but take a look at news. The same event can have 10 different veiwpoints and people arguing over it, and that's not "In our head."

And even your big "Atheist" Gurus like that Degrasse Tyson have turned around and started talking about totally irrational shit, like his starting to talk about that reality is actually a big computer program and we are all inside a big computer programmed by Aliens or maybe "Gods". It seems that even the big fat universe isn't real enough for people to agree on what it is. Is it in our heads too. So many Universes!

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/227 ... simulation
Neil deGrasse Tyson says it's 'very likely' the universe is a simulation
And, if our universe were a big, elaborate lie, could we ever devise some test to prove that fact? At the debate, host and celebrity astronomer Neil deGrasse Tyson argued that the probability is...
Hic sunt dracones
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Religious Threadjacks

Post by keith »

Suranis wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:58 am Uh, sorry dude, but take a look at news. The same event can have 10 different viewpoints and people arguing over it, and that's not "In our head."

And even your big "Atheist" Gurus like that Degrasse Tyson have turned around and started talking about totally irrational shit, like his starting to talk about that reality is actually a big computer program and we are all inside a big computer programmed by Aliens or maybe "Gods". It seems that even the big fat universe isn't real enough for people to agree on what it is. Is it in our heads too. So many Universes!

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/227 ... simulation
Neil deGrasse Tyson says it's 'very likely' the universe is a simulation
And, if our universe were a big, elaborate lie, could we ever devise some test to prove that fact? At the debate, host and celebrity astronomer Neil deGrasse Tyson argued that the probability is...
Your understanding of that article is deficient.

Had you actually read the article to which you linked, and had you watched the video, you would have grokked that Tyson was the discussion host, and it was his JOB to propose a discussion topic, and to stimulate the discussion at hand. His remark was a discussion topic - not his opinion.

Tyson never made that remark - a panel member made that remark in the context of the discussion, Tyson clarified the panel members remark - and then the panel member pointed out the absurdity of his own remark (because its turtles all the way down).

In my day it was popular to invoke the sacred herb in the dorm room and cogitate on the idea that maybe our solar system is just an atom in a larger (much much larger) universe, and up and down the ladder (its turtles all the way down, you know). There is a reason that that sort of thing is called a 'sophomoric idea'.

In the end, it doesn't matter to us on our planet, or our reality, or our simulation - the actual answer, if it existed is meaningless to us because it doesn't interact with us and we don't interact with it. It's all just a thought exercise.

We can however, derive great pleasure from the examination of the logical consequences of such 'sophomoric ideas' and even propose new approaches to other existing problems of consequence.

But Neil deGrasse Tyson is ABSOLUTELY NOT claiming that our universe is a simulation.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
neeneko

Religious Threadjacks

Post by neeneko »

keith wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:08 am But Neil deGrasse Tyson is ABSOLUTELY NOT claiming that our universe is a simulation.
It should also be noted that the 'we are living in a simulation' is more of an exercise in stats than an assertion, a bit of playing around with the mathematical consequences of various concepts, esp when you bring infinity into the equations.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Religious Threadjacks

Post by keith »

neeneko wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:09 am
keith wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:08 am But Neil deGrasse Tyson is ABSOLUTELY NOT claiming that our universe is a simulation.
It should also be noted that the 'we are living in a simulation' is more of an exercise in stats than an assertion, a bit of playing around with the mathematical consequences of various concepts, esp when you bring infinity into the equations.
Yes.

I was going to say something about that in my reply, but I didn't like how I wrote it, so I just threw it away.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Religious Threadjacks

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Religious Threadjacks

Post by AndyinPA »

:like:

Thanks for posting.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Religious Threadjacks

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:26 pm
I have been a big fan of John Fugelsang since before his career got started, when he was my floor Resident Assistant in the dorms of New York University in the late 1980s. He isn't playing about aspiring to be a good, decent person in the platonic Christian ideal -- he was quite possibly the best short-term mentor figure I've ever had, and made me want to be a better person. I would take his doubts over a Christofascist's certainties any day of the week.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
poplove

Religious Threadjacks

Post by poplove »

:cussing: FLDS
Bentley-driving accused cult leader has 20 wives as young as age 9, possibly married own daughter, FBI alleges

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/bentl ... bi-alleges
AndyinPA
Verified:

Religious Threadjacks

Post by AndyinPA »

poplove wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:17 pm :cussing: FLDS
Bentley-driving accused cult leader has 20 wives as young as age 9, possibly married own daughter, FBI alleges

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/bentl ... bi-alleges
Oh, gawd, not another one out there. :mad:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Religious Threadjacks

Post by neonzx »

I don't drive a Bentley nor do I have anywhere near 20 wives.

I must be doing something wrong. :think:
pipistrelle

Religious Threadjacks

Post by pipistrelle »

neonzx wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:27 pm I don't drive a Bentley nor do I have anywhere near 20 wives.

I must be doing something wrong. :think:
I wouldn't call a 9-year-old a "wife" under any circumstances, so you're okay.
Suranis

Religious Threadjacks

Post by Suranis »

I like the expression on the Bishop...

vatican.jpg
vatican.jpg (110.38 KiB) Viewed 495 times
What comes around goes around
I did a report on the history of witches as my final project for my religious studies, and I learned some very interesting things.

If you go back before the big Christian witch hunts you'll see a lot of reports of people getting burned for accusing others of being witches. The explanation was because the church believed that only through God could you perform "magic" so even if someone tried to cast spells and what not it would be ineffective. Therefore the belief that others could perform magic was seen as just as pagan as people attempting it.

So if you accused someone of being a witch there was no grantee the "witch" would get killed, but you sure as hell would just for thinking witches existed.

As we all know the church eventually gave in to the people's demand for "justice" and the big witch hunts started.
https://satwcomic.com/fullroll/vatican
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Religious Threadjacks

Post by RTH10260 »

O Come All Ye Faithful, Except When Christmas Falls on a Sunday

Ruth Graham
Sun, December 18, 2022 at 4:24 PM GMT+1

StoneBridge Christian Church in eastern Nebraska is known locally for hosting a big annual fireworks event, which this fall included 15 food trucks and portable fire pits for making s’mores. But it’s the Christmas season that is “our Super Bowl,” said the church’s executive pastor, Mitch Chitwood. This year, the church’s four locations in the Omaha area will host four “Jingle Jam” family parties in December and nine services on Christmas Eve, complete with classic carols, Christmas-themed coffee drinks and a festive photo booth in the lobby.

What they will not have is church on Sunday, Dec. 25. On Christmas Day, StoneBridge will offer a simple community breakfast but no religious services.

“We still believe in the Sunday morning experience, but we have to meet people where they are,” Chitwood said.

And where they are on Christmas Day is usually at home, in their pajamas. This year, church leaders are grappling with what may seem like an odd dilemma: Christmas Day falls on a Sunday for the first time since 2016, and that’s a problem.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/o-come-ye-fa ... 35312.html
(original NYT)
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Religious Threadjacks

Post by RTH10260 »

Anti-abortion priest Pavone defrocked for blasphemous posts

NICOLE WINFIELD
Sun, December 18, 2022 at 2:39 PM GMT+1

VATICAN CITY (AP) — The Vatican has defrocked an anti-abortion U.S. priest, Frank Pavone, for what it said were “blasphemous communications on social media” as well as “persistent disobedience” of his bishop who repeatedly told him to stop his partisan activism for Donald Trump.

A letter to U.S. bishops from the Vatican ambassador to the U.S., Archbishop Christophe Pierre, obtained Sunday, said that the decision against Pavone, who heads the anti-abortion group Priests for Life, had been taken Nov. 9, and that there was no chance for an appeal.

Pavone has been in conflict with the bishop of Amarillo, Texas, for over a decade over his pro-life and partisan political activities that came to a head in 2016 when he put an aborted fetus on an altar and posted a video of it on two social media sites. The video was accompanied by a post saying that Hillary Clinton and the Democratic platform would allow abortion to continue and that Trump and the Republican platform wanted to protect unborn children.

Even before then, Pavone successfully appealed 2011 restrictions on his ministry that Amarillo Bishop Patrick Zurek had placed on him.

Pavone remained a firm supporter of Trump and in 2020 disputed the outcome of the election won by Joe Biden. Ahead of the election, the Amarillo diocese denounced Pavone's use of social media for political ends, distanced the diocese from him and said his positions weren't consistent with Catholic teaching.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/anti-abortio ... 22448.html
AndyinPA
Verified:

Religious Threadjacks

Post by AndyinPA »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:49 pm
O Come All Ye Faithful, Except When Christmas Falls on a Sunday

Ruth Graham
Sun, December 18, 2022 at 4:24 PM GMT+1

StoneBridge Christian Church in eastern Nebraska is known locally for hosting a big annual fireworks event, which this fall included 15 food trucks and portable fire pits for making s’mores. But it’s the Christmas season that is “our Super Bowl,” said the church’s executive pastor, Mitch Chitwood. This year, the church’s four locations in the Omaha area will host four “Jingle Jam” family parties in December and nine services on Christmas Eve, complete with classic carols, Christmas-themed coffee drinks and a festive photo booth in the lobby.

What they will not have is church on Sunday, Dec. 25. On Christmas Day, StoneBridge will offer a simple community breakfast but no religious services.

“We still believe in the Sunday morning experience, but we have to meet people where they are,” Chitwood said.

And where they are on Christmas Day is usually at home, in their pajamas. This year, church leaders are grappling with what may seem like an odd dilemma: Christmas Day falls on a Sunday for the first time since 2016, and that’s a problem.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/o-come-ye-fa ... 35312.html
(original NYT)
I grew up in a church that had Christmas services no matter the day of the week. Most of my friends spent Christmas morning in their pajamas, but I didn't have that leisure. I envied them.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Religious Threadjacks

Post by northland10 »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:08 pm I grew up in a church that had Christmas services no matter the day of the week. Most of my friends spent Christmas morning in their pajamas, but I didn't have that leisure. I envied them.
My parish has a Christmas morning service no matter the day. Attendance is usually small though it wavers pretty large. There is no special music, just hymns/carols and my primary goal for that service is to make it to the end without falling asleep at the organ. There is not much of me left by that time.
101010 :towel:

Return to “Religion and Politics”