Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Amazon / Amazon.com / Jeff Bezos

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Amazon / Amazon.com / Jeff Bezos

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... bor-union/
Dozens of Amazon employees at the company’s air hub in San Bernardino, Calif., on Monday abandoned their workstations mid-shift over low wages and concerns regarding heat safety.

The walkout in Southern California marks the first coordinated labor action in Amazon’s growing airfreight division, which uses Prime-branded planes to fly packages and goods around the country much like UPS or FedEx. The employees, who are independently organized, said they didn’t plan to return to work on Monday, in an effort to pressure Amazon to raise wages and improve safety.

Organizers said more than 150 people walked out Monday afternoon, and managers had already slowed some operations in anticipation of the action. While a small fraction of the 1,500 employees who work at the hub in various shifts walked out, such a work stoppage can create logistical headaches and disruptions.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Amazon plots to turn surveillance network into reality TV series
A new clip show.

By Christina Maas
Posted August 14, 2022 10:57 am

If you're tired of censorship, cancel culture, and the erosion of civil liberties subscribe to Reclaim The Net.
Comedian Wanda Sykes will host a new show, called “Ring Nation,” that will feature videos captured by Amazon Ring cameras, according to a report on Deadline. Amazon-owned MGM Television and Big Fish Entertainment will produce the show.

The show will feature funny and viral content captured by Ring cameras, like “neighbors saving neighbors, marriage proposals, military reunions and silly animals.”

Such videos can be entertaining and often go viral. However, they pull people’s attention from the mass surveillance Ring cameras conduct. Videos from Ring cameras have been used in investigations by law enforcement in the US and abroad, even pulling video from people’s doorbell cameras without a warrant.

By cultivating fears about crime in the suburbs and partnering with police departments, Amazon has aggressively rolled out Ring home surveillance cameras.

Amazon has rolled out several surveillance technologies, including Rekognition, a facial recognition algorithm used by law enforcement.

https://reclaimthenet.org/amazon-plots- ... tv-series/
izakkimsey

Post by izakkimsey »

Hello there, guys. I’ve never thought machines are gonna kill us this way. I thought they would be terminators who’ll kill all of us. To be serious, the situation is not funny at all. That’s why I’ll never buy Alexa or any other assistant. This is scary.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I'm with you, izakkimsey!!!!! Welcome to Fogbow! :wave:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Welcome!

I've had an Alexa for a while, and it's really unimpressive as an AI. Good alarm clock, though. Excellent at math questions. Fairly good at trivia questions, it has access to Wikipedia. Distance from here to Saturn? (it changes as the planets revolve) Number of days until (you choose an event)? It does weather reports and shopping lists. It's pretty versatile and useful, but it's not an AI.

Lotta people working on true AI though. It's not going to be long before it gets here. :think:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

But Alexa is still Big Brother listening in, isn't she?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

If so, she probably cries herself to sleep every night, from being forced to listen to the boring stuff I say. Even when my wife and kids come in the room, we never talk about building bombs or overthrowing the federal government or even committing any murders. We just talk about stuff like whether we need more paper towels or what's for dinner. If I had to listen to somebody's fambly all day and they were like my fambly, I would DIE. :eek: I'd quit immediately yesterday
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

First a little background, hubs and I run on different schedules so I ask him to text me what his day looks like so I can plan accordingly.

As expected, he never remembers. Growing frustrated after another textless afternoon, I asked him if he wanted me to set up a reminder with Alexa. He said no but...you guys know me pretty well by now so......

me: Alexa, set a reminder.

Alexa voice: What's the reminder.

me: Send your wife a fucking text!

Alexa voice: what time, blah, blah, blah.

The next day, right on schedule:

Alexa voice: Send your wife a fucking text.

(I've decided to make it daily.)
► Show Spoiler
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Amazon reportedly plans to lay off about 10,000 employees starting this week

PUBLISHED MON, NOV 14 202211:03 AM ESTUPDATED 4 HOURS AGO
Ashley Capoot

KEY POINTS
  • Amazon is planning to lay off approximately 10,000 employees in corporate and technology roles beginning this week, according to a report from The New York Times.
    The cuts would be the largest in the company’s history and would primarily impact Amazon’s devices organization, retail division and human resources, according to the report.
Amazon is planning to lay off approximately 10,000 employees in corporate and technology roles beginning this week, according to a report from The New York Times. Separately, The Wall Street Journal also cited a source saying the company plans to lay off thousands of employees.

Shares of Amazon closed down about 2% on Monday.

The cuts would be the largest in the company’s history and would primarily impact Amazon’s devices organization, retail division and human resources, according to the report. The reported layoffs would represent less than 1% of Amazon’s global workforce and 3% of its corporate employees.

The report follows headcount reductions at other tech firms. Meta announced last week that it’s laying off more than 13% of its staff, or more than 11,000 employees, and Twitter laid off approximately half its workforce in the days following Elon Musk’s $44 billion acquisition of the company.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/14/amazon- ... -week.html
Lani

Post by Lani »

Amazon Is Said to Plan to Lay Off Thousands of Employees
https://www.reuters.com/business/retail ... 022-11-14/
Nov 14 (Reuters) - Amazon.com Inc (AMZN.O) is planning to lay off around 10,000 employees in corporate and technology roles beginning this week, a person familiar with the matter said on Monday, in what would amount to its biggest such reduction to date.

The cuts, earlier reported by the New York Times, would represent about 3% of Amazon's corporate staff. The exact number may vary as businesses within Amazon review their priorities, the source told Reuters.

The online retailer plans to eliminate jobs in its devices organization, which makes voice-controlled "Alexa" gadgets and home-security cameras, as well as in its human-resources and retail divisions, the person said. Amazon's time frame for informing staff remained unclear.

The source attributed the reduction to the uncertain macroeconomic environment faced by Amazon and other companies.
:snippity: :snippity:

I've been noticing that a lot of items listed on Amazon are not available. And some items are no longer sent to Hawaii. :mad: So I paid a little more at Target and received everything in 2 hours.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.nlrb.gov/news-outreach/news ... -cease-and
November 28, 2022
Staten Island, New York – On November 18, 2022, Judge Diane Gujarati of the United States District Court for the District of Eastern New York issued a Section 10(j) injunction against Amazon.com Services LLC directing Amazon to cease and desist from discharging employees, and from engaging in any like or related conduct, in retaliation for employees engaging in protected activities. The injunction also directs Amazon to post, distribute, and read the Court’s order to employees at the Employer’s Staten Island facility (“JFK8”).

The injunction was issued based on a petition for Section 10(j) injunctive relief filed by Kathy Drew King, former Regional Director of Region 29 of the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB). Section 10(j) of the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) authorizes the NLRB to seek injunctions against employers and unions in federal district courts to ensure that employees' rights will be adequately protected from remedial failure due to the passage of time.

The petition alleged that Amazon unlawfully fired an employee at JFK8 for advocating, with his co-workers, for workplace health and safety protections in light of the COVID-19 pandemic and by protesting with his co-workers Amazon’s failure to provide greater safety protections to employees. While the injunction does not order interim reinstatement of the employee at this time, it does order Amazon to cease and desist from further discharging any employees for protected activities under the NLRA, or in any like or related manner interfering with, restraining, or coercing employees in the exercise of the rights guaranteed to them by Section 7 of the National Labor Relations Act. If Amazon violates the cease-and-desist order, it could be held in contempt by the court.

“The Judge’s order in this case recognizes Amazon’s unlawful conduct and provides the full force of a federal court injunction to prohibit Amazon from further discharging employees for engaging in protected concerted activity,” said Region 29 Brooklyn Director Teresa Poor. “This relief is critical to ensure that Amazon employees can fully and freely exercise their rights to join together and improve their working conditions, including by forming, assisting, or joining a union.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Amazon to axe 18,000 jobs citing economic uncertainty
Amazon chief points to company’s rapid hiring in recent years while saying layoffs mainly to hit its brick-and-mortar stores

Guardian staff and agencies
Thu 5 Jan 2023 03.41 GMT

Amazon has announced it will cut more than 18,000 jobs from its workforce – the largest set of layoffs in the US company’s history – while business software maker Salesforce is to cut 8,000 workers in the latest purge of tech jobs.

Amazon cited “the uncertain economy” and said the e-commerce giant had “hired rapidly over the last several years” in making the announcement on Wednesday.

Its chief executive, Andy Jassy, said in a note to employees: “Between the reductions we made in November and the ones we’re sharing today, we plan to eliminate just over 18,000 roles.”

He said Amazon had weathered “difficult economies” in the past and would continue to do so. “These changes will help us pursue our long-term opportunities with a stronger cost structure.”

Jassy said the layoffs would mostly impact the company’s brick-and-mortar stores, which include Amazon Fresh and Amazon Go, and its PXT organizations, which handle human resources and other functions.

He did not specify where the affected roles were located, but Jassy said in the statement that Amazon would communicate with impacted employees “or where applicable in Europe, with employee representative bodies” from 18 January.

The jobs cuts represent a swift about-turn for the retailer that recently doubled its base pay ceiling to compete more aggressively for talent.

The layoffs amount to 6% of Amazon’s roughly 300,000-person corporate workforce. It has a global workforce of more than 1.5m.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ncertainty
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:confuzzled:

I am sure that our Amazon purchases alone would support 18,000 employees. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I tried to buy a waterproof raincoat, as opposed to the raincoats they make now.

Thought I found a good one, $72 from Amazon. I ordered a size bigger (L) than my shirt size (M).

It had sleeves 4" too short. :blackeye: On a size Large!

To return it, I had to bring my tablet into the Kohls store so they could scan a QR code.

But OMG it was quick. No more than 15 seconds at the desk, done, here's your receipt, sir. And Amazon refunded my money before I managed to drive home.

If you spent any time in the previous century, you know that level of customer service is unpossible. Seriously unpossible.

I was unhappy with the order when I tried it on, and less than half an hour later I had my money back.

:oldman:
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:24 am
Amazon to axe 18,000 jobs citing economic uncertainty
Amazon chief points to company’s rapid hiring in recent years while saying layoffs mainly to hit its brick-and-mortar stores
Couldn't have a single thing with paying the NFL a billion dollars a year for the absolute worst on-field product the NFL produces: Thursday Night Football, could it?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

:shock:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Foggy wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:17 pm I tried to buy a waterproof raincoat, as opposed to the raincoats they make now.

Thought I found a good one, $72 from Amazon. I ordered a size bigger (L) than my shirt size (M).

It had sleeves 4" too short. :blackeye: On a size Large!

To return it, I had to bring my tablet into the Kohls store so they could scan a QR code.

But OMG it was quick. No more than 15 seconds at the desk, done, here's your receipt, sir. And Amazon refunded my money before I managed to drive home.

If you spent any time in the previous century, you know that level of customer service is unpossible. Seriously unpossible.

I was unhappy with the order when I tried it on, and less than half an hour later I had my money back.

:oldman:
The tablet idea is good if you don't mind bringing it. I've stood in line behind several people trying to scan off their little phone screen and it doesn't take well. I know it costs trees, but I usually print mine off nice and large and one fellow told me how much easier that was for them. But, yeah, have it delivered to your house in a few days and if it won't work, drop it at Kohls (UPS usually much busier here), and get a $5 off coupon from Kohls, just in case you need...something. I usually toss the coupon but there's been a time or two I grabbed something. I can't imagine going back to old fashion in-store shopping. I've grown lazy in my old age.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Lani

Post by Lani »

Recently I had to return 2 items to Amazon. One arrived just plain smashed. The other one I goofed, ordered 2 instead of one. The only place I could return the items was in Waikiki :nooo:

Probably won't happen here very often since Amazon just decided not to ship a bunch of things to Hawaii, including several with less weight than a pound. For example, I wanted some specific wood conditioner & polish. Nope, no sale. Amazon sellers then highly increased the cost plus the postage. Even Walmart is now increasing prices & postage. I called Lowe's and found the cost was about $10. Guess I'm back to buying local. Which is a good thing.... (but more time).
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

This sucks. The local one I contribute to gets maybe over $1,000 a year (I'd have to check), but that's serious money to them.
Dear customer,

In 2013, we launched AmazonSmile to make it easier for customers to support their favorite charities. However, after almost a decade, the program has not grown to create the impact that we had originally hoped. With so many eligible organizations—more than 1 million globally—our ability to have an impact was often spread too thin.

We are writing to let you know that we plan to wind down AmazonSmile by February 20, 2023. We will continue to pursue and invest in other areas where we’ve seen we can make meaningful change—from building affordable housing to providing access to computer science education for students in underserved communities to using our logistics infrastructure and technology to assist broad communities impacted by natural disasters.

To help charities that have been a part of the AmazonSmile program with this transition, we will be providing them with a one-time donation equivalent to three months of what they earned in 2022 through the program, and they will also be able to accrue additional donations until the program officially closes in February. Once AmazonSmile closes, charities will still be able to seek support from Amazon customers by creating their own wish lists.

As a company, we will continue supporting a wide range of other programs that help thousands of charities and communities across the U.S. For instance:
Housing Equity Fund: We’re investing $2 billion to build and preserve affordable housing in our hometown communities. In just two years, we’ve provided funding to create more than 14,000 affordable homes—and we expect to build at least 6,000 more in the coming months. These units will host more than 18,000 moderate- to low-income families, many of them with children. In one year alone, our investments have been able to increase the affordable housing stock in communities like Bellevue, Washington and Arlington, Virginia by at least 20%.
Amazon Future Engineer: We’ve funded computer science curriculum for more than 600,000 students across over 5,000 schools—all in underserved communities. We have plans to reach an additional 1 million students this year. We’ve also provided immediate assistance to 55,000 students in our hometown communities by giving them warm clothes for the winter, food, and school supplies.
Community Delivery Program: We’ve partnered with food banks in 35 U.S. cities to deliver more than 23 million meals, using our logistics infrastructure to help families in need access healthy food – and we plan to deliver 12 million more meals this year alone. In addition to our delivery services, we’ve also donated 30 million meals in communities across the country.
Amazon Disaster Relief: We’re using our logistics capabilities, inventory, and cloud technology to provide fast aid to communities affected by natural disasters. For example, we’ve created a Disaster Relief Hub in Atlanta with more than 1 million relief items ready for deployment, our Disaster Relief team has responded to more than 95 natural disasters, and we’ve donated more than 20 million relief products to nonprofits assisting communities on the ground.
Community Giving: We support hundreds of local nonprofits doing meaningful work in cities where our employees and their families live. For example, each year we donate hundreds of millions of dollars to organizations working to build stronger communities, from youth sport leagues, to local community colleges, to shelters for families experiencing homelessness.
We’ll continue working to make a difference in many ways, and our long-term commitment to our communities remains the same—we’re determined to do every day better for our customers, our employees, and the world at large.

Thank you for being an Amazon customer.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That's nice, if a tax write-off, but pay your people better. Charity starts at home?
tek

Post by tek »

I am sad about this shutting down.

This is just amazon management wanting to have control over their money, rather than doing actual good things. Funding to thousands of small charities was a really excellent thing to do; funding a few large things where they get all the spiffs and perks and control, not so much.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

tek wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:51 am I am sad about this shutting down.

This is just amazon management wanting to have control over their money, rather than doing actual good things. Funding to thousands of small charities was a really excellent thing to do; funding a few large things where they get all the spiffs and perks and control, not so much.
The tiny local nonprofit has gotten $6,826.73. That's huge for them.
tek

Post by tek »

The tiny charity that I chose has gotten $2316, of which $254 were from me.

Huge for them.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

UK
First industrial action at Amazon UK hopes to strike at firm’s union hostility
In Coventry, 300 GMB members plan to down tools over long hours, bad management and a 50p-an-hour pay rise

Heather Stewart
Sun 22 Jan 2023 00.05 GMT

Amazon workers at a vast depot in Coventry will stage a historic strike on Wednesday – the first time the delivery giant’s UK operations have ever been hit by industrial action.

The immediate cause of the dispute was a 50p-an-hour pay rise offered to warehouse staff in the summer, which many felt was insulting – particularly after they had worked throughout the Covid pandemic.

But staff also complain of gruelling round-the-clock shifts and constant, nitpicking monitoring by management.

One worker recently told the Guardian that it was impossible to make ends meet without signing up for a 60-hour week. “I don’t want Jeff Bezos’s boat,” he said. “I definitely don’t want his rocket. But I just want to live.”

It’s a story heard in campaigns by Amazon workers worldwide, including in the US, where there have been some notable recent successes in winning union recognition.

Derrick Palmer, a vice-president of the US Amazon Labor Union, which recently won a recognition battle at an Amazon fulfilment centre in Staten Island, New York, has backed this week’s action in Coventry.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -hostility
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:14 pm The tablet idea is good if you don't mind bringing it. I've stood in line behind several people trying to scan off their little phone screen and it doesn't take well. I know it costs trees, but I usually print mine off nice and large and one fellow told me how much easier that was for them.
Late here :blackeye: , but what I do with my phone is turn the brightness up all the way then pinch zoom the code as big as possible, and I rarely have a problem. FWIW.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “Economy”