Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

COVID-19 Origins & Research

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: COVID-19 Origins & Research

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-13/ ... /101324738

Key points:

Australian virologist Eddie Holmes co-authored a study that has identified a Wuhan wet market as the likely epicentre of the COVID-19 pandemic
Professor Holmes visited the market in 2014 and recognised the risk of virus transmission between animals and humans and suggested taking some samples
His research pinpoints a few square metres where the virus is likely to have been transmitted between animals and humans
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

newsletter wrote:Coronavirus Updates

By Katie Shepherd with Sabrina Malhi
email@washingtonpost.com

The version of the coronavirus you first encountered may affect how you respond to later variants of the virus — and maybe how well future vaccines work. My colleague Carolyn Y. Johnson explains why, when it comes to viral infections, past is prologue. The phenomenon, sometimes called “original antigenic sin,” is well-documented in the case of the influenza virus: The version of the flu virus you first catch as a child influences how sick you get from influenza viruses later in life. It remains unknown if your first brush with the coronavirus will have a similar effect, but scientists are debating how a person’s first exposure to the coronavirus might affect the effectiveness of the omicron-specific coronavirus booster shots coming this fall.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

My oncologist, The Fabulous Dr. Baker, has long covid and is taking Zyrtec for his joint pain. He says it helps tremendously. His knees still give him some trouble but at least he can stand and walk all day. That's a "huge improvement" he tells me. I had originally tried the Zyrtec myself for the joint pain from the Keytruda but it put me to sleep so I only take it in the evening. I'm now on prednisone for a week. We'll see how that goes.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:42 am My oncologist, The Fabulous Dr. Baker, has long covid and is taking Zyrtec for his joint pain. He says it helps tremendously. His knees still give him some trouble but at least he can stand and walk all day. That's a "huge improvement" he tells me. I had originally tried the Zyrtec myself for the joint pain from the Keytruda but it put me to sleep so I only take it in the evening. I'm now on prednisone for a week. We'll see how that goes.
Isn't Zyrtec an acid blocker for indigestion, or do I have it confused with something else?

I hope the prednisone helps! I know it's done me a lot of good when my pain has been especially bad
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:32 am
sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:42 am My oncologist, The Fabulous Dr. Baker, has long covid and is taking Zyrtec for his joint pain. He says it helps tremendously. His knees still give him some trouble but at least he can stand and walk all day. That's a "huge improvement" he tells me. I had originally tried the Zyrtec myself for the joint pain from the Keytruda but it put me to sleep so I only take it in the evening. I'm now on prednisone for a week. We'll see how that goes.
Isn't Zyrtec an acid blocker for indigestion, or do I have it confused with something else?

I hope the prednisone helps! I know it's done me a lot of good when my pain has been especially bad
Zyrtec is an antihistamine, but oddly enough Pepcid, which is for acid, is also being used in cases of long covid. I take that too.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

I was slightly surprised that Zirtek (cetirizine) helps with joint pain because it's most common use (at least in Europe) is, I think, as a hayfever etc. remedy and prophylactic.

But what this use illustrates is the pervasiveness of the immune systems: almost everything in the body is affected by the immune system, as it protects the body against invaders, monitors for misbehaving cells and tissues, and repairs damage.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:38 am
Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:32 am Isn't Zyrtec an acid blocker for indigestion, or do I have it confused with something else?
Zyrtec is an antihistamine, but oddly enough Pepcid, which is for acid, is also being used in cases of long covid. I take that too.
Ah, right. I was thinking Zantac :mrgreen:

It's interesting things like Zyrtec and Pepcid are helpful, but I'm glad they're available for those who need them!

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”