Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

What Is Broken?

John Thomas8

What Is Broken?

Post by John Thomas8 »

John Townsend is an interesting YouToober:

Patagoniagirl

Re: What Is Broken?

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I'll just jump out here to suggest that we've become fragmented to a point. I don't think I can adequately describe what I mean, except to say that my time in an off-grid cabin in Patagonia as the hardest and best time of my life. There was purpose every day. Chopping wood, harvesting, canning,.drying and smoking meats. Trading rag rugs for cider or eggs. I can't remember when I felt so happy and fulfilled. We've become too reliable on general, extra comfort.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

That’s so cool Patagonia. Immediately reminds me of a book by Rick Fields called Chop Wood, Carry Water. The subtitle is A Guide to Finding Spiritual Fulfillment in Everyday Life. I discovered it on my path to Zen. I’m still finding my Patagonia.
The message is as true today as it was then: the greatest lessons and the profoundest heights of the spiritual path can be found in our everyday life. It is the greatest challenge for people living in contemporary society to find the spiritual aspects of working in an office, store, or factory; balancing a checkbook; raising a family; or making a relationship work.
https://a.co/gGdrVKR
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:59 pm I'll just jump out here to suggest that we've become fragmented to a point.
I would argue that we have always been fragmented, but now we are less isolated and thus having to confront this fragmentation.

In another forums I am part of a board who's members were involved in local in person communities for decades before the forums existed. Each of these local communities had their own traditions, norms, and lexicon. But more importantly, each local community had already sorted out its hierarchy.. who is right, who is wrong, etc.

So when people came online, all of a sudden they had to deal with NOT being the unquestioningly correct people. They met other groups, with other traditions, and they have to deal with them constantly in the shared space. There are constant arguments over meanings of words that diverged hundreds of years ago.

That might be the key word.. shared space. Isolation means not having to share space with anyone, and historically you could always retreat into your safe space to recharge and recentre.. but today, we never really leave that shared online space, it constantly reminds everyone that they are not the centre of the universe and that makes a lot of people really anxious.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Raison, Neeko, I agree with both of you, both make sense. However,I enjoy conveniences as much as the next peeps. But back to some sense of real purpose somehow made me feel so fulfilled. I still have a garden, do canning and make jerky.ansmd bread.. But it's not the same.

I'll tiddle this out a little. I found a great amount of peaceful satisfactions getting up and getting the wood stove glowing and a kettle of water going for coffee. There was time to grind the coffee. Heat the cast iron skillet for potatoes and corned beef for breakfast before hunting morels or catching some fish for preserving or fresh for dinner. I miss feeling a personal purpose.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Multiple responses? Giggle

Anyway, this fellow I like because he teaches more than he entertains. May Toobers just grind out click bait, but John does what he teaches.

This video made me kinda sad, as did other ones he made during the lockdown. But by and large his look into the 1700s is quite fascinating.
raison de arizona

I'll have to search those ones out, he has an awful lot of videos and many I just wasn't interested in. The series you've posted looks pretty good though.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:51 pm I'll have to search those ones out, he has an awful lot of videos and many I just wasn't interested in. The series you've posted looks pretty good though.
While he cooks in many of his videos from 1700s cookbooks, he also has constructed his own period baking oven, canoe, shed, bricks, and reviews many period images and explains the conditions around them.
raison de arizona

John Thomas8 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:06 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:51 pm I'll have to search those ones out, he has an awful lot of videos and many I just wasn't interested in. The series you've posted looks pretty good though.
While he cooks in many of his videos from 1700s cookbooks, he also has constructed his own period baking oven, canoe, shed, bricks, and reviews many period images and explains the conditions around them.
Thanks for the heads up, I was skipping the frying a chicken in butter videos :lol: sounds like they might be interesting too!
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

► Show Spoiler
Sorry, just needed to vent.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:06 pm
► Show Spoiler
Sorry, just needed to vent.
😢. Pretty much, Slim.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Ya, it's borked.

Here he talks about eating when poor in the 1700s:

roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Bob Dylan said it:

“Broken lines, broken strings,
Broken threads, broken springs,
Broken idols, broken heads,
People sleeping in broken beds
Ain't no use jiving
Ain't no use joking
Everything is broken

Broken bottles, broken plates,
Broken switches, broken gates,
Broken dishes, broken parts,
Streets are filled with broken hearts
Broken words never meant to be spoken,
Everything is broken

Seem like every time you stop and turn around
Something else just hit the ground

Broken cutters, broken saws,
Broken buckles, broken laws,
Broken bodies, broken bones,
Broken voices on broken phones
Take a deep breath, feel like you're chokin',
Everything is broken

Every time you leave and go off someplace
Things fall to pieces in my face

Broken hands on broken ploughs,
Broken treaties, broken vows,
Broken pipes, broken tools,
People bending broken rules
Hound dog howling, bull frog croaking,
Everything is broken”
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”