Hijack This Thread

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

They only changed the Medicare cards in the not-too-distant past so that it and your SS number weren't the same.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Wait, Patagonia, are you in the hospital? When did that happen? And come on, Drs. Tinkle and Bumb? Did they give you the good drugs?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I dunno is there is a sportsball thread for this, but the NBA is reportedly scheduling NO games for mid-term election day, instead having all 30 teams play Monday in a "civic engagement" themed night to encourage fans to vote.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:43 pm My sweetie passed away four years ago and I'm in the process of going through boxes of stuff from the basement. It's interesting how things have changed. The box I'm going through now has the booklet for the 1979 Minnesota tax return. On the front are the labels to be used on the return. On the top line of those very public labels are our social security numbers. :shock:

But I also remember that when I got my first Iowa driver's license in 1969, my license number was my social security number.
My DL# in AZ was my SS# well into the 90s, before they passed a law and changed it. It wasn't until 2004 that Bush made it illegal, and even then it took some states even more years to comply.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

They have an ongoing insurgency problem down there. Four provinces mainly Muslim that some think ought to belong to Malaysia. Also including local mafia types that like to smuggle accross the border and attack Thai police.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:13 am Wait, Patagonia, are you in the hospital? When did that happen? And come on, Drs. Tinkle and Bumb? Did they give you the good drugs?
Was in. Out now. Best week of the year. Lots of sleep, better food than the local diner, a wonderful adjustable bed and good sweet drugs. But as Aunt Bee says, "I'm no Spring Chicken Anymore!". But I feel good and it was nice to pretend I wasn't a mom, daughter or sister for a week. I watched no TV, and lurked around on TFB.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Wait, you spent a week in the hospital and I'm gonna have to say "Lucky you!" :?

Okay, that's nice if it was good!
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:02 pm
Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:13 am Wait, Patagonia, are you in the hospital? When did that happen? And come on, Drs. Tinkle and Bumb? Did they give you the good drugs?
Was in. Out now. Best week of the year. Lots of sleep, better food than the local diner, a wonderful adjustable bed and good sweet drugs. But as Aunt Bee says, "I'm no Spring Chicken Anymore!". But I feel good and it was nice to pretend I wasn't a mom, daughter or sister for a week. I watched no TV, and lurked around on TFB.
Sounds like you had a vacation. Just glad you are feeling good.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:21 pm
My DL# in AZ was my SS# well into the 90s, before they passed a law and changed it. It wasn't until 2004 that Bush made it illegal, and even then it took some states even more years to comply.
I don't remember my SS number on my DL, but it WAS my Student ID number at Northern Arizona University.

When I switched to University of Arizona they tried to use my SS number too, but I refused to give it to them, so they just punched a different button and generated a number. Even in 1971 they knew they weren't supposed to use the SS number for a ID number but didn't care.

They knew it was wrong, and they insisted on trying to use it anyway and built a workaround in case they got called out. Boggles the mind.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

My first license, in MO, in the early 70s was a 16 digit # with a leading letter. Sometime in the 80s they switched to SS#. I went to local licensing office and had it switched to another non-SS #. It’s been the same number since then.
For whatever reason I still remember my original 16 digit number.
Original wasn’t photo ID either.

How times have changed, my mom told me she got her first license at a drug store. Of course that was before SSA.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

My Michigan driver's license from the mid-1980s had a separate number, which I may actually be able to remember if I thought about it (I had that number until 2004). My college ID number, however, was my SSN at least until the early 90s when they made the change. I remember entering that number many times into the new and fancy touch-tone class registration system. This was the system that would return those dreaded words "the class is closed. Would you like to hear open sessions, if available". That is when the screaming began, and vile comments were made about the recorded voice.
101010 :towel:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I just got an email in my work email - a bomb threat down the street from the office. Glad I work from home. Who knows how long the folks in the office will be stuck in the office. There is only one way out of the office park our office is in, they built a new road to put our huge lab. But, they haven't made a second way out from our office.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

My ND driver's license was my SSN for the longest time. It didn't change until I got my MN driver's license. I don't even remember what that number was. Had my TX license for 15+ years, still no idea what the number was. I think there was a 7 in it somewhere. Have had the OH one for over 4 years, just got it renewed. No clue to what the number is. :)

Also got a phone call tonight for a survey on what I think is probably the Ohio Secretary of State Race. Had a difficult time understanding the young lady on the other end. I pretty much just answered "Voting for the Dem, don't care who they are". Oh, and I told her the correct pronunciation for "Beret". LaRosa (R) was a Green Beret apparently. She was pronouncing it "ber-ret". Just trying to be helpful. She was very nice. :)

LaRosa I think was one of the people that helped purge voter roles and tried to get rid of being able to register to vote when you get your ID from the BMV. Nope, not getting my vote.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Belated Happy 95th Birthday, Rosalynn Carter!

Yesterday!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... terminated
Allegations that a popular television news anchor in Canada lost her job after “going grey” have prompted anger and disbelief, casting one of the country’s largest media organisations into turmoil and highlighting the rigid expectations facing women in the workforce.

In a two-minute video posted on Twitter on Monday, Lisa LaFlamme announced she had been ousted as anchor of CTV National News, one of the country’s most-watched evening shows.

In the clip, which has since been viewed more than 4m times, LaFlamme said she was “blindsided” by the decision to end her contract.

“I’m still shocked and saddened,” she said. “At 58, I still thought I’d have a lot more time to tell more of the stories that impact our daily lives.”
I did the same thing. I love my real color, and I'm sorry I waited so long.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

“I’m a woman. I’m a woman. I’ve been here for 25 years. Do you really think that I would fire a woman because she’s a woman?” said senior vice-president Karine Moses after pointed questions from LaFlamme’s executive producer, Rosa Hwang, over why she was dropped.
This kinda feels in the same general category as “my best friend is gay.”
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-ent ... n-artists/
Growing up, Zoe Terrell dreamed of becoming an artist — she sketched scenes from her local farmers market and even won drawing competitions in her native South Korea. But she eventually learned what many creative people know too well. “My dad was like, ‘Well, drawing is not going to feed you,’ ” Terrell says.

So she studied education in college and, after moving to the United States in 2008, taught Korean — that is, until a curious job listing caught her eye.

An ocean away, Terrell called her dad with surprising news: “Hey, guess what, Dad? Now, drawing is going to feed me,” she recalls with a laugh.

Terrell is one of hundreds of sign artists employed by grocery store Trader Joe’s. You probably know the idiosyncratic chain for its eccentric snacks and peppy cashiers, but that festive atmosphere extends to the stores’ interior design, too: Each of the 500-plus outposts has custom, handmade signage, all created by staff artists. Your grocery store is their art gallery.
:clap:
keith

Post by keith »

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

I just made a bean and chili burrito and zapped it in my Jewish Space Laser.

It took me 2 minutes to finish what else I was doing in the kitchen and bring it up stairs to the very computer I am sitting in front of right this very minute.

I took a bite and burnt the living begeezus out of my tongue.
:-x :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Ouch!
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Well. I’m a much happier camper today. Back in early December, the first three days of my COVID infection were really noisy. There were guys crawling all over ( and under) the house installing ductless air conditioning. We were gonna ride out the hot, hot summer in cool style. Fast forward to AC time.

We have a mild early summer and didn’t use it much. By the time I got sick in July it was HOT.

Disappoint!!

The new AC was barely better than nothing at all. It just moved the hot air around efficiently. Today we had a service call from the Mitsubishi guy. Somehow and some when all the refrigerant had fled our system. After he left, glorious cold air!!!

While he was here we also got a visit from an earnest young man named Ammon, a rep from a local energy company. Yes, he is Mormon. But sweet. I met my first Ammon IRL!
keith

Post by keith »

OK, so this morning we went to our normal Saturday morning croquet club social play. We had one too many people for Association Croquet, and one too many for Golf Croquet. So I got 'sent down' to the Golf Croquet lawn to even up the games there.

This meant there were two games being played on the same lawn, which means that one game (mine) gets to use the 'secondary colors'. Primary colors are Black and Blue for one team and Red and Yellow for the other team. Secondary colors are Green/Brown and Pink/White. In Golf Croquet the balls are played in a strict sequence and the sequence is denoted by the order of the colors painted on the center peg for the Primary Colors. The order for the Secondary Colors is not denoted anywhere, you just have to remember it - Green, Pink, Brown, White.

Since I don't play Golf Croquet all that much, and usually with the primary colors when I do, I am always just about to hit the wrong ball unless somebody yells at me. So I was working on a mnemonic to remember it by all day.

The first one I came up with was howled down by the women folk for some reason: Girls Prefer Boys Willies

It took me a minute to come up with another: Girls Prefer Being Women

That was more acceptable apparently, but it crosses my mind that some girls would prefer to be men, just as we have some boys that would prefer to be women, and these folks go to some amount of trouble to make their preferences a reality.

Then it occurred to me that those girls that would prefer to be men aren't really girls, they are really boys in a girls body, and anyway it isn't a preference its existence, so maybe the mnemonic is safe enough.

I dunno. There is a ouroboros effect going on here or something.

I need an entirely new premise for my mnemonic I think.

ETA: P.S. Getting to play Golf once in a while even though I usually play Association isn't really being 'sent down'. Golf Croquet is a fast paced, hard played, cut throat game. There is no 'sent down' about it, however in our club, the golf players are a lot less cut throat than most and even less than our Association players.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

When we were in Australia, we went to a croquet game. Looked like fun.

When we were in Argentina, we went to a polo match. It didn't look like fun.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

This past week I have been house sitting for one of my long-time clients. I usually take care of just the two cats and the horses, but this time they went on a cruise, so I was also taking care of the two Jack Russell terriers.

Well, on Thursday I woke up around 4.30, and thought I had pulled a muscle in my back. I managed to get the dogs outside for the morning potty time, got cats fed, etc., but by the time I finished with the cats and dogs, I realized that I didn't think I'd be able to get down to the barn for the horse.

I called my husband to come pick me up so we could go to the ER. By the time he arrived about 10 minutes later, I was feeling a lot worse, and vomiting.

We got to the ER about 15 minutes later, where the receptionist kept asking me my name, apparently not concerned about me being in so much pain that I couldn't formulate words! She told my husband that there'd be about a six hour wait for an empty bed.

Shortly after that conversation, I was pretty much out of it, but my husband tells me that within the next ten minutes, a miracle happened and an empty bed was found for me. Apparently I was screaming in pain and scaring the rest of the people in the waiting room :shock: .

A quick consultation with the ER doctor resulted in me getting some Dilaudid, and the pain finally went away. The CT scan which followed revealed that, yes indeed, I had a kidney stone, and not just some tiny little kidney stone, but a 6 mm rock. If it'd been a millimeter larger I'd have been getting surgery, but I got sent home with some percoset and anti-nausea meds.

So my little friend the kidney stone rock is slowly but surely scraping his way down my ureter, where I hope he will soon hit my bladder, and then excrutiatingly make his way out of my body. I've named him Kid Rock, in honour of one of TFG's supporters.

It's not currently painful, although I am quite away of Kid Rock's existence, so I am still house sitting. I finish up the house sitting tomorrow anyway, so I'm hanging in there!

Return to “General Stuff”