Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

UK - England, Wales, N.Ireland, Scotland

Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Re: UK - England, Wales, N.Ireland, Scotland

Post by Ben-Prime »

On the 'melt' versus 'surface defect' argument:

Yes, it's an oversimplification for drama, but actually not by much.

From an article two days ago on the subject before it all actually started happening:
Mr Davies said surface temperatures of 45C (113F) or 50C (122F) were a concern because "tarmac bitumen can start to bubble and melt and become dangerous and tacky."
The BBC article in question
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Phoenix shut the airport down when it was 122 here. The urban legend is the tarmac melted, but the real problem was that planes behave differently in hot air and require more runway and stuff, but the manuals didn’t go up that high so they decided they couldn’t safely fly. The real problem at that heat is that at ground level heat radiates off the concrete and gets up to 15-20 degrees hotter, the ground crews start having problems and they have to use cooling stations and whatnot.

Streets can get a little sticky here when it is that hot if they are tarry, but they use asphalt rated to 200 degrees and test it in an oven so it should be fine. I doubt they were thinking about that in the UK though.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

I went down the rabbit hole of runway surfaces and "melting" and such yesterday. Long, interesting article on the history of grass runways, mostly in the UK. More than I ever wanted to know about runways, but I'll kick some ass if it's ever a category on Jeopardy!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Remember the Brexit call for SOVEREIGNITY? But foreigners get to elect the British primeminister :brickwallsmall:
Concern Over Foreign Interference & Conservative Membership Rules

Sam Bright
22 July 2022

It appears as though there is very little preventing malign foreign actors from swaying Tory leadership contests, reports Sam Bright

New concerns are being raised online about the Conservative Party’s membership rules, as the party’s final two leadership candidates prepare to canvass members.

It has been highlighted that the Conservative Party does not require members to be UK citizens, nor for members to be registered to vote in this country.

Under the ‘frequently asked questions’ on the Conservative website, the party states that “Overseas residents are invited to join Conservatives Abroad and will be entitled to all the benefits of party membership. Your membership will be administered by Cities of London and Westminster Conservative Association”.

https://bylinetimes.com/2022/07/22/conc ... hip-rules/
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:05 pm Remember the Brexit call for SOVEREIGNITY? But foreigners get to elect the British primeminister :brickwallsmall:
Concern Over Foreign Interference & Conservative Membership Rules

Sam Bright
22 July 2022

It appears as though there is very little preventing malign foreign actors from swaying Tory leadership contests, reports Sam Bright

New concerns are being raised online about the Conservative Party’s membership rules, as the party’s final two leadership candidates prepare to canvass members.

It has been highlighted that the Conservative Party does not require members to be UK citizens, nor for members to be registered to vote in this country.

Under the ‘frequently asked questions’ on the Conservative website, the party states that “Overseas residents are invited to join Conservatives Abroad and will be entitled to all the benefits of party membership. Your membership will be administered by Cities of London and Westminster Conservative Association”.

https://bylinetimes.com/2022/07/22/conc ... hip-rules/
Well, I *am* a British citizen, so I should sign up.
much ado

Post by much ado »

Azastan wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:11 pm ...

Well, I *am* a British citizen, so I should sign up.
And I am a US citizen, so I can sign up, too!

It might be fun to help select the next UK prime minister!

ETA:

Here's where to join...

https://www.conservativesabroad.org/join-us

Here's what it says...
Which Membership is right for you?

Standard - Anyone living anywhere in the world is welcome to join Conservatives Abroad from just £25 per year.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Remember the Brexit vote? We don't want foreigers taking our British jobs, especially by those hardworking Europeans! But Indonesia :blackeye:
Revealed: Indonesian workers on UK farm ‘at risk of debt bondage’
As farms look further afield for labour, investigation finds Kent pickers saying they struggle to pay fees charged by unlicensed brokers

Emily Dugan
Sun 14 Aug 2022 17.00 BST

Indonesian labourers picking berries on a farm that supplies Marks & Spencer, Waitrose, Sainsbury’s and Tesco say they have been saddled with debts of up to £5,000 by unlicensed foreign brokers to work in Britain for a single season.

Pickers at the farm in Kent were initially given zero-hours contracts, and at least one was paid less than £300 a week after the cost of using a caravan was deducted, according to payslips and other documents seen as part of a Guardian investigation.

The fees they pay to secure work include flights and visas, but multiple labourers said they also faced thousands of pounds in extra charges from Indonesian brokers who promised substantial earnings. Under UK employment law, it is illegal to charge workers fees for finding them jobs.

One worker described how he staked his family home in Bali as surety on the debt and fears losing it. “Now I’m working hard only to pay back that money,” he said. “I cannot sleep sometimes. I have a family who need my support to eat and meanwhile, I think about the debt.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... an-brokers
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Reusable toilet roll that could save you 'small fortune' leaves shoppers disgusted
Controversial reusable toilet roll is dividing opinion on Twitter as some call the product an unhygienic "health risk" while others argue it slashes costs and is eco-friendly- here's what you need to know

ByEvie Townend News Reporter
15:43, 16 Aug 2022UPDATED17:50, 16 Aug 2022

As costs continue to rise, one eco-friendly invention is causing a stir on Twitter.

Reusable toilet roll has been touted as a way to save you money as well as being an eco-friendly alternative.

However, not everyone is on board.

The sustainable company Net Zero Co is selling a cloth toilet roll that can be washed and reused repeatedly.

The description on the shop’s website says: “This washable and reusable toilet paper provides a cost-effective and eco-friendly way to clean yourself, without creating waste or spending a mini fortune over time.

“This alternative fits on any standard toilet paper roll and easily re-rolls to hold its shape.

“After use, collect pieces in a hamper until laundry day, recommended twice a week. Machine wash with hot water. Tumble dry low or air dry.

“You may choose to pre-soak with vinegar or cleaning solution. Once dry, re-roll one at a time.”

However, the thought of reusable toilet roll has divided opinions after TikToker Doll Face created a reel showing how the product is used.

While many have suggested that a bidet would have been a better solution, others have said that this violates basic hygiene rules.

Their product is on the market for £21.50 and comes in a pack of 24 with designs on each sheet.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/reusable ... e-27755050
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Criminal barristers in England and Wales vote to go on all-out strike”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62629776

“Barristers have voted to go on an indefinite, uninterrupted strike in England and Wales from next month.
The walkout by members of the Criminal Bar Association (CBA) will begin on 5 September.
Until now, members have been striking on alternate weeks in a dispute with the government over pay, working conditions and legal aid funding.
The strikes are expected to delay thousands of cases, leaving victims and the accused waiting longer for justice.”
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:58 pm
Reusable toilet roll that could save you 'small fortune' leaves shoppers disgusted
Controversial reusable toilet roll is dividing opinion on Twitter as some call the product an unhygienic "health risk" while others argue it slashes costs and is eco-friendly- here's what you need to know

ByEvie Townend News Reporter
15:43, 16 Aug 2022UPDATED17:50, 16 Aug 2022

As costs continue to rise, one eco-friendly invention is causing a stir on Twitter.

Reusable toilet roll has been touted as a way to save you money as well as being an eco-friendly alternative.

However, not everyone is on board.

The sustainable company Net Zero Co is selling a cloth toilet roll that can be washed and reused repeatedly.

The description on the shop’s website says: “This washable and reusable toilet paper provides a cost-effective and eco-friendly way to clean yourself, without creating waste or spending a mini fortune over time.

“This alternative fits on any standard toilet paper roll and easily re-rolls to hold its shape.

“After use, collect pieces in a hamper until laundry day, recommended twice a week. Machine wash with hot water. Tumble dry low or air dry.

“You may choose to pre-soak with vinegar or cleaning solution. Once dry, re-roll one at a time.”

However, the thought of reusable toilet roll has divided opinions after TikToker Doll Face created a reel showing how the product is used.

While many have suggested that a bidet would have been a better solution, others have said that this violates basic hygiene rules.

Their product is on the market for £21.50 and comes in a pack of 24 with designs on each sheet.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/reusable ... e-27755050
So now we get to relitigate the reusable diaper vs disposable diaper controversy all over again?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I believe that before the invention of toilet paper, Earthlings used cloth and washed it afterwards. Maybe not entirely sanitary, but that can be improved.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Ummm.

Maybe you've heard that it is rude to use your left hand for much of anything in most of Asia?

Yeah, well there's a reason for that.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I've heard that about our Islamic brethren and sistren too also - they don't use the same hand to wipe as to eat.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

In a time long lost in the fog of history, before the invention of the interwebs, there was things called newspapers and phonebooks :biggrin:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

The 21st Century, fancy schmancy bidet/private parts cleanser seat with settings for water temperature and nozzle location, and a setting memory for two, is where it's at. Maybenaut suggested using cut up wash cloths for drying afterwards and having a small laundry basket for the used cloths.

The controls are on the right, like a stick shift. :P

I haz one! Hubby boughted it for me. :biggrin:

ETA: It has an air dryer with temperature controls too, also!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Uninformed wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:40 am “Criminal barristers in England and Wales vote to go on all-out strike”
Expect that while those those Criminal barristers are on strike that there will be less Criminal activity…

:whistle:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

At the first law firm where I worked (really cool ACLU firm which took on the Creation Science law), there was a framed document which read, "The legislature is in session! Hide the women and children!"
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

More than 70% of pubs do not expect to survive winter as energy costs soar
Independent brewers and pub operators warn of ‘doomsday scenario’ unless government takes urgent action
Pubs that came through Covid lockdowns now face spiralling energy costs and record-high inflation.

Christy Cooney
Tue 23 Aug 2022 18.56 BST

Britain’s independent brewers have urged ministers to step in to save the sector, as research revealed more than 70% of pubs do not expect to survive the winter if nothing is done to ease energy costs.

In a letter to the chancellor, Nadhim Zahawi, independent brewers on Tuesday called for immediate government intervention, warning a once thriving cottage industry was now facing “grave uncertainty”. They said the impact of surging energy bills was being compounded by a fall in sales as households seek to save money, shortages of equipment such as kegs, cans and CO2 gas, and a poor hop harvest pushing up prices.

“We have entered one of the most challenging times for the brewing sector,” the Society of Independent Brewers said, in a letter also signed by the chair of the Campaign for Real Ale. “Small brewers are reporting that their energy bills are doubling or trebling, putting their future ability to brew at risk”.

The warning came as pub operators reported similar rises in energy costs, with reports that some suppliers are refusing to offer new contracts to the sector because they fear pubs may not be able to pay their bills. More than 35% of operators said they had seen their utility costs double, while 30% said their costs had tripled, according to a survey for the trade publication the Morning Advertiser.

One operator said they had been quoted a cost for their energy that was nearly six times higher than on their current contract – with the price per unit shooting up from 14p to 83p.

Almost three-quarters of respondents said they would not be able to afford the increases.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... costs-soar
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

UK supplies of carbonated beverages at risk. :shock: What will they mix with their gin?
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:47 pm Seems that most if Johnsons ministers, lack education, even when presenting university diplomas.
I take it Roger Waters was unavailable.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:05 pm

UK supplies of carbonated beverages at risk. :shock: What will they mix with their gin?
I am already stocking up on diet soda and sparkling water in my Southwestern-side-of-Greater-London flat. You can have my Diet Dr. Pepper (well, Dr. Pepper Zero, the local equivalent) when you pry it from my ice cold, dead fingers.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:06 pm
More than 70% of pubs do not expect to survive winter as energy costs soar
Independent brewers and pub operators warn of ‘doomsday scenario’ unless government takes urgent action
Pubs that came through Covid lockdowns now face spiralling energy costs and record-high inflation.

:snippity:
The warning came as pub operators reported similar rises in energy costs, with reports that some suppliers are refusing to offer new contracts to the sector because they fear pubs may not be able to pay their bills. More than 35% of operators said they had seen their utility costs double, while 30% said their costs had tripled, according to a survey for the trade publication the Morning Advertiser.

One operator said they had been quoted a cost for their energy that was nearly six times higher than on their current contract – with the price per unit shooting up from 14p to 83p.

Almost three-quarters of respondents said they would not be able to afford the increases.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... costs-soar
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

no foreign farm worker needed next year....
UK farm faces $17 million bill for natural gas as huge rises in energy costs threaten hundreds of thousands of jobs

Ryan Hogg
Aug 28, 2022, 11:51 AM
  • A UK farm is facing a $17 million natural gas bill as energy prices soar across Europe.
    British businesses are exposed to massive increases in natural gas price rises this winter.
    About 500,000 UK jobs are at risk because firms can't afford the costs, according to some estimates.
A UK farm faces a $17 million annual bill for the natural gas needed to heat its greenhouses as soaring energy bills put hundreds of thousands of jobs under threat.

Jimmy Russo, director of Valley Grown Nurseries in Nazeing, Essex, just north of London, said his natural gas bill was likely to rise from £900,000 ($1.1 million) to £14.6 million ($17.2 million). That would be nearly triple his expected sales of £5 million ($5.9 million) for his produce of peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers and aubergines.

"Without government support, we will have to make our 130 staff redundant and walk away," Russo told the newspaper. "I am seriously concerned for the future of British growing."

Tens of thousands of jobs are under threat as huge rises in energy bills forces bars, restaurants and hotels to contemplate closing for part of the week or even shut their doors entirely this winter.

https://www.businessinsider.com/uk-farm ... ces-2022-8
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

If you want a 1st Amendment make sure you get the one WITHOUT the 2nd Amendment. :rotflmao:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”