Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Forward

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
MsDaisy
Verified:

Forward

Post by MsDaisy »

Former Republicans and Democrats form new third U.S. political party

LOS ANGELES, July 27 (Reuters) - Dozens of former Republican and Democratic officials announced on Wednesday a new national political third party to appeal to millions of voters they say are dismayed with what they see as America's dysfunctional two-party system.

The new party, called Forward and whose creation was first reported by Reuters, will initially be co-chaired by former Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang and Christine Todd Whitman, the former Republican governor of New Jersey. They hope the party will become a viable alternative to the Republican and Democratic parties that dominate U.S. politics, founding members told Reuters.

Party leaders will hold a series of events in two dozen cities this autumn to roll out its platform and attract support. They will host an official launch in Houston on Sept. 24 and the party's first national convention in a major U.S. city next summer.

The new party is being formed by a merger of three political groups that have emerged in recent years as a reaction to America's increasingly polarized and gridlocked political system. The leaders cited a Gallup poll last year showing a record two-thirds of Americans believe a third party is needed.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/exclus ... 022-07-27/
pipistrelle

Re: Forward

Post by pipistrelle »

Andrew Yang, embittered nonviable candidate. :vomit:
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

MsDaisy wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:35 am Former Republicans and Democrats form new third U.S. political party

LOS ANGELES, July 27 (Reuters) - Dozens of former Republican and Democratic officials announced on Wednesday a new national political third party to appeal to millions of voters they say are dismayed with what they see as America's dysfunctional two-party system.

The new party, called Forward and whose creation was first reported by Reuters, will initially be co-chaired by former Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang and Christine Todd Whitman, the former Republican governor of New Jersey. They hope the party will become a viable alternative to the Republican and Democratic parties that dominate U.S. politics, founding members told Reuters.

Party leaders will hold a series of events in two dozen cities this autumn to roll out its platform and attract support. They will host an official launch in Houston on Sept. 24 and the party's first national convention in a major U.S. city next summer.

The new party is being formed by a merger of three political groups that have emerged in recent years as a reaction to America's increasingly polarized and gridlocked political system. The leaders cited a Gallup poll last year showing a record two-thirds of Americans believe a third party is needed.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/exclus ... 022-07-27/
I mean, it's not like we have any other moribund 3rd parties kicking about, right? [Said the ex-LP voter]
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I think it’s a good idea. I also think they don’t have a chance.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
tek

Post by tek »

If they run candidates that only suck votes from Democrats, I will be well and truly pissed.

And I would not trust Yang as far as I can throw him.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:58 pm I think it’s a good idea. I also think they don’t have a chance.
It's the First Past the Post system that dooms them. Put up a few candidates in states that use ranked choice or open primary voting and maybe they get somewhere gradually. But a lot of these vanity project parties want to launch immediately for President. It's the same thing that really doomed the LP for many years because at the national level they really didn't put any effort into promoting any efforts by the state and local parties to build a bench.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Yang as co-chair is a non-starter in my book. Sorry.

I'm not necessarily averse to the idea, but I'd really rather fracture the Republican party into MAGA/RINO and leave the Dems more or less intact than to chance sucking Dem and RINO into a third party, thus making the MAGA core that much stronger against the divided "enemy." At first thought.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:57 am Andrew Yang, embittered nonviable candidate. :vomit:
:yeahthat:
Has everybody heard about the bird?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Bad choice of party name, they ought to have researched past the US borders. Forward (en) - Vorwärts (ge) is the name of left wing publications in Europe, with a commie twist. The new party may not want that association :think:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Not even to mention, wasn't Forward the slogan for President Obama in 2012?

Admittedly, it was "Forward." with a period.

Forward.

I think Obama owns it now.

And a group named Forward had better be progressive. :mad:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

:confuzzled:

Return to “Current Politics”