Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Product Recalls

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Product Recalls

Post by AndyinPA »

Growing up in hilly country, it would never occur to me to park without putting on the parking brake. It's absolutely second nature.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

a case of "it drives me nuts" ;)
Documents posted Friday by U.S. safety regulators say that a rear axle mounting bolt can fracture and cause the drive shaft to disconnect. If that happens, the SUVs can roll away even if they are placed in park gear, without the parking brake on.
tek

Post by tek »

WASHINGTON, May 20, 2022 – Smithfield Packaged Meats Corp., a Sioux Center, Iowa establishment, is recalling approximately 185,610 pounds of ready-to-eat (RTE) bacon topping products that may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically metal, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

FSIS expects there to be additional products containing the bacon and urges consumers to check back frequently to view updated lists and labels.
https://www.fsis.usda.gov/recalls-alert ... e-possible
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Volkonski wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:42 pm https: //twitter.com/startelegram/status/1528096130319405056?t=CFklj4dTRy8PGFhJfGXmCw&s=19
Here is Smucker's recall announcement for anyone that wants to check their shelves against the lot codes. Ours were not listed.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

bill_g wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:25 am
Volkonski wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:42 pm https: //twitter.com/startelegram/status/1528096130319405056?t=CFklj4dTRy8PGFhJfGXmCw&s=19
Here is Smucker's recall announcement for anyone that wants to check their shelves against the lot codes. Ours were not listed.
Mine were. We buy them at Costco (96 ounces/2 jars), creamy and crunchy, so we have a lot sitting here that we can't eat. My husband and son go through it. I don't eat it that often, but I did in the last few days. So far so good, though. It was a long time ago, but I seem to remember that the salmonella hit pretty quickly.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I have JIF but the lot number is not in the range. Even of it were, I suspect I would have noticed by now as it is 80% used. It is not new as I don't go through it very fast.
101010 :towel:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Off Topic
When mr520 and I were first dating we came back from a trip to the Kern River. We weren’t rafting this time, we’d gone to shoot footage of people recreating on the beautiful river and to show why generally rivers are worth fighting for to save (from dams, mostly). It was late, we’d eaten earlier but mr wanted to “fill in the corners” so he pulled a Costco lemon meringue pie from the recesses of his old, old fridge. I declined, he ate, we went to sleep. A few hours later I heard him in the bathroom, where he pretty much stayed for the next 12 hours.

He’d never been so sick. He’d never missed a day of work until then; he missed three. I couldn’t persuade him to stay in bed for another day. I called my boss and explained. He came over later and we edited the footage we’d shot for his early morning local talk show the next day, in between providing cool compresses and anti-emetics to mr.

Our doctor friend stopped by that night, checked him out, asked questions, sniffed the pie, threw it out, and pronounced it salmonella. “He’ll live, but he’ll wish he could just die” she grinned. I stayed for three days. He said that was the second time he decided he needed to put a ring on it. ;)
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Goodyear recalls RV tires after government cites multiple deaths
Federal safety investigators said the tires failed more often than other tires

By Michael Laris
June 8, 2022 at 6:24 p.m. EDT

The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company is recalling thousands of tires produced between 1996 and 2003 and used on recreational vehicles after federal safety investigators said they failed more often than other tires and resulted in multiple deaths.

After launching an investigation in 2017, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration alleged in a February letter to the company that “it appears that Goodyear was aware of a safety defect in the … tires as early 2002 while the tires were in production but did not file a recall.”

NHTSA said the defect is “a clear, identified failure that leads to a loss of vehicle control, causing crashes and potentially catastrophic consequences such as death and serious injury.”

Goodyear responded to the agency in March, saying there is “no evidence of an actual defect in the tire” and noted that the tire “has likely been out of the market for years.” The company argued it had long been the responsibility of RV makers to issue recalls related to tires chosen for their vehicles.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transpor ... re-recall/
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Comment: from another contribution elsewhere tires of this age ought to be no longer in circulation. Even unused stock has detoriated after ten years to a point they are unfit for their purpose.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

I'd buy tires that lasted 20 years! Alas, there is no such unicorn in existence.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

I thought this had been years ago. Its completely pointless now.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

So it's much more than just the SUVs they called out upthread :cantlook:
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

You'd think Ford would do a better job of testing for this after they built 23 million cars in the 60s and 70s that tended to slip out of park. My dad had a '69 Torino that backed itself into another car when nobody was in it...twice.

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/but-w ... le-recall/
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

The iinfo related to the first recall tweet mentioned the failure of a bolt. I wonder if engineers miscalculated the forces to withstand, or if a subcontractor thought they could replace some specifications by their best guess.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Let us remember, our member Gregg does truck transmissions. Just truck transmissions. He bears little personal responsibility for the motorcar company's misdeeds regarding cars that roll away after you park them.

And I may as well get the joke out of the way about how if they were Pintos, you'd be better off if they rolled away somewhere. :lol:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Does that work the other way too, if you want a Ford, buy a plot of land and wait?

ps. a variation of a joke in the 1960s, out of Germany, the best way to become an owner of a Starfighter jet :|
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

There has been a large Coor’s Light and Keystone recall of beers produced in Ohio that had a gelatinous substance in them (not a health risk).
https://fox2now.com/news/national/some ... e-shelves/
northland10

Post by northland10 »

It shows you how these mega-breweries know nothing about craft brew processes. If you have a gelatinous substance in your beer, you call it unfiltered and charge more for it.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Danraft wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:47 am There has been a large Coor’s Light and Keystone recall of beers produced in Ohio that had a gelatinous substance in them (not a health risk).
https://fox2now.com/news/national/some ... e-shelves/
That's just to give them some actual flavor.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Admit you have a secret...
Almost every Ferrari sold since 2005 is being recalled
A faulty brake fluid reservoir cap might not vent properly, causing brake failure.

JONATHAN M. GITLIN -
8/9/2022, 2:46 PM

Spare a thought for Ferrari. Not its F1 team, repeatedly snatching defeat from the jaws of victory as rival Red Bull romps away with the championships, but the road car division, which is in the process of recalling nearly every car it has sold since 2005.

The problem is the cap of the brake fluid reservoir. It's designed to vent pressure if necessary, but evidently that design isn't so hot. Venting can fail to happen, causing a vacuum to build up, resulting in a possible leak of brake fluid. And if you don't have any brake fluid in your brake lines, you aren't going to be able to slow down or stop (without hitting something large and solid).

The fix is therefore pretty simple—a new brake fluid reservoir cap, and a software patch that lets a driver know if their brake fluid reservoir is running low. (Should this occur, Ferrari says pull over immediately and get the car towed.)

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/08/al ... -recalled/
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Well, hell! What am I going to drive now?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:02 pm Well, hell! What am I going to drive now?
The butler informs me that the Lamborghini and Maserati are still available for your use...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Merci, mon cher. I forgot. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

I was walking by my neighbor auto-mechanic's place a few days ago and noticed there was a Ferrari sitting in the lot. I thought that was rather a high-level vehicle to be sitting there (save for the ones that come from the towing service and were recently in an accident). I wonder if they came in for a new cap.

Return to “General Stuff”