Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

I don't watch the Tee Vee none.

I tried FOUR TIMES to read the first book in the Game of Thrones series. The fourth time I read 8 or 9 chapters before I just realized, I don't want to read this.

But I read every book and short story from The Expanse. That's my oeuvre. Haven't seen the Tee Vee version.
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:40 am I don't watch the Tee Vee none.

I tried FOUR TIMES to read the first book in the Game of Thrones series. The fourth time I read 8 or 9 chapters before I just realized, I don't want to read this.

But I read every book and short story from The Expanse. That's my oeuvre. Haven't seen the Tee Vee version.
I've never really been able to get into any form of GOT either, even though I tend to like fantasy.

I really enjoyed the first 3 or 4 seasons of The Expanse until we got to the season that introduced Naomi's ex. I only saw the first couple of episodes of that one and then just lost interest. The seasons I did watch, however, were some of the best Sci-fi I've seen. The acting was excellent and the whole thing had a very realistic feel to it. I keep thinking I might go back and try to finish it up, but just haven't been able to get enough interest going to actually do it.

I'm not sure why, but it's not unusual for me to lose interest in the later - usually the last - season(s) of series i watch.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:40 am I don't watch the Tee Vee none.

I've tried to watch The Expanse three or four times. It just doesn't catch me. I haven't seen the books, maybe I should look for them.

GOT on TV hooked me immediately from the get go - I even held on to my Murdoch owned cable company till it 'finished' - then I cancelled it immediately (well, by "immediately" I mean after a 50 minute phone call where they tried to get me to stay subscribed, the last 10 minutes of which was me just saying "you are wasting my time and you are wasting your time" over and over and over and over to anything they said).

In between the hiatus between various seasons, I read the books. Dude is taking so long to write the next one I can't even remember if there is one I haven't read that he squeezed out while I wasn't paying attention.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Pro tip - none of the Expanse books are named Expanse anything. They have stupid names, IMHO, like one is Tiamat's Wrath, which has no character named Tiamat and has nothing to do with whatever he's wrathful about. The first one is Leviathan Wakes, which almost makes sense, except the being referred to is never called Leviathan.

But they are wonderful, wonderful books. I re-read them all twice so far.
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Just an FYI - The Wikipedia entry on the Expanse books - The Expanse (novel series)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:44 pm Just an FYI - The Wikipedia entry on the Expanse books - The Expanse (novel series)
Yes, and I will say again, if you like the Expanse books, you really should try the Cassandra Kresnov and Spiral Wars series, by Joel Shepherd (Spiral Wars is not complete yet), and the Adventures of a Xeno-Archaeologist and Interstellar Sheriff series, by Jenny Schwartz. Both are Australian and extremely excellent writers.

Or the future.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

My son and his family just got back home to Virginia yesterday from visiting Great Grandma in Tulsa and this morning my D-I-L tested positive for Covid. This is the second time she's had it. They both had it in the spring but neither of the grandkids got sick thankfully. Both my D-I-L and my son are vaccinated but the kids are not. Poor babies and school starts tomorrow!
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Little League batter hit in head embraces pitcher in inspiring display of sportsmanship
The pitcher for the Texas East Little League team hung his head, clearly upset after his last pitch hit the 12-year-old Oklahoma batter in the head, knocking off his helmet and leaving him lying in the dirt at home plate.

But Isaiah Jarvis, who at first had gripped his head, soon recovered. He was OK, and the crowd at the Little League Southwest Region championship in Waco, Texas, applauded as he stood up and took first base.

Back on the mound, though, Kaiden Shelton was still shaken. That's when something amazing happened: Isaiah stepped off the bag, walked to the mound and wrapped his arms around the pitcher, letting him know he was all right.

"I wanted to go over there and spread God's love and make sure that he's OK, and make sure that he knows that I'm OK and that I'll be OK," Isaiah told CNN Wednesday morning, appearing on "New Day" alongside Kaiden.
:snippity:
https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/10/us/littl ... index.html

We could use more of these kinds of stories.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

We don’t have an Arpaio thread anymore so I’ll just put this here cuz I’m too lazy to start one.

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Has he tried dog catcher yet? :lol:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Honestly, he couldn't fix the jacket and tie before taking the photo?

Or the future.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

FZ1reODVUAAddgR.jpeg
FZ1reODVUAAddgR.jpeg (110.69 KiB) Viewed 698 times
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

That parent wants a servant to provide food and educational materials for her children. Lessee, $18 daily for 4.5 hours per day. That's $4 per hour for the M.S. demanded. Sounds like the Arkansas legislature

ETA: and Governor Asa Hutchinson.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

This guy was interviewed on NBC. He is a transfer grad student, and this is his first year at Duke. All the new football players were asked to sing a song:

He has a youtube channel; he cleans up good. His name is Chance Lytle
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYdN0J ... JScC68Mm8g
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Tonight we did something we haven’t done since before Covid. We went to the movies!!! :thumbsup:

In the entire theater there were literally 5 people, 3 folks sitting together on the right side and the two of us sitting on the left. We saw “Elvis” and both enjoyed it very much

Then we hit the local Indian restaurant and brought home some curry, not much better than a good movie and a good Butter Chicken all in the same night :thumbsup:
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Medical Mayhem has been my life this year. Mom's dude is Wainwright Jaggernaugt (oncologist), and my internist is Walt Bumb.both are good and trustworthy docs,. But Jaggernaugt ls a prick when it comes to bedside matters. But an excellent oncologist. Doc Bumb is everything you want in a doc. There were no chairs in my room. He came in with a package of paperwork, tabbed up with color tabs. He squatted by my bed and held my hand as he flipped through and explained my test results.

.Dad came in to visit, and it turns out they (dad and Bumb) talked for a half an hour about my Dad going to school with his mom and dad graduating from the same high school, going to OSU together. Later, Dad told me how badly Bumb was tormented in school. He said they could have named him Siue and he'd not gotten teased more.

So, why do some find that being of compassionate,,.añd some do not.? Wainwright J. Was such an ass that my mother left in tears, and Bumb was so compassion the I found hope.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

My other option for a doc was J. Tinkle. Then there was Dick Trickle a bud of my Dad. He was an immortal bowler. His Bowling Shirt is enshrined at Rowe's Recreation where they open at 5 a.m. for .25 cents and the old men rent a.card table for .50 cents.an hour. Loser pays table rental. The MAGA hats seem required. Weirdly, they have shoveled out and jumped my junk vehicle when I worked there. With Biden stickers and a rainbow flag on the back window.

MontPeculier.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Wait, I forgot the question already. :confuzzled:

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh look, our former member 7rob7 created a meme on Instagram (I am bill_bryan on Instagram).

Or the future.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Did I miss anything?

We got back Friday morning, three hours late, which is a good thing as the train was due in at 5:05 am. I'll post a little about the trip and, hopefully, some photos soon.

Edited to add: I've looked around, so I'm just going to mark all threads read!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Glad you’re back, Andy! You must tell us about your trip!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

My sweetie passed away four years ago and I'm in the process of going through boxes of stuff from the basement. It's interesting how things have changed. The box I'm going through now has the booklet for the 1979 Minnesota tax return. On the front are the labels to be used on the return. On the top line of those very public labels are our social security numbers. :shock:

But I also remember that when I got my first Iowa driver's license in 1969, my license number was my social security number.

Return to “General Stuff”