Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

The Media are the Goddam Problem

p0rtia

Re: The Media are the Goddam Problem

Post by p0rtia »

Lest we forget.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:sick:

So women's lives are to be sacrificed to end the cultural wars?

Roe v Wade was a 7-2 decision.

Roe v Wade/abortion didn't become a cultural war until later, and it was a proxy war for the republicans for segregation in schools. It was used to get the evangelicals to vote republican.

A fetus is easy to advocate for. Women, not so much.

Sullivan can't be that stupid.

:explode:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

:yeahthat:
101010 :towel:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:45 am :sick:

Roe v Wade/abortion didn't become a cultural war until later, and it was a proxy war for the republicans for segregation in schools. It was used to get the evangelicals to vote republican.

The rancid cartoon known as Peggy Noonan has a companion piece in the WSJ.

Cf George Conway.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Learned a new word on Daily Kos- caucasity. A Faux New reporter had the caucasity to blame Ketanji Brown Jackson for the recent U. S. Supreme Court leak.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:30 am Learned a new word on Daily Kos- caucasity. A Faux New reporter had the caucasity to blame Ketanji Brown Jackson for the recent U. S. Supreme Court leak.
Love it!

We need new words; the old ones are having a tough time keeping up with the more granular understanding of evil.

We have these amazing communication highways. Let's use them.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

He's not, just mendacious. I am ashamed that more than a decade ago, I was a fan of Sully's, because I thought like me he couldn't be neatly categorized politically; then I began to look at what he was actually saying.

So, I guess, according to Mike Pence, because it's something I'm ashamed of a decade later, reading Andrew Sullivan should be made illegal.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Never heard of him until a friend mentioned he reads him to keep himself “fair and balanced.” Read him a couple times and recognized his special brand of stupid. Have never figured out why he’s so popular. This nugget was especially insipid.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

https://www.rawstory.com/amp/lindsey-gr ... 2657282801
Lindsey Graham slams senators who expected Brett Kavanaugh not to lie about overturning abortion!!
Just the kind of headline to get the blood thumping! Problem is in the text, Graham did no such thing. The HOST did, but Graham dodged to another issue. And lied about what DC V Heller said.
Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) on Sunday lashed out at senators complaining about Supreme Court justices who reportedly voted to overturn abortion rights despite suggesting they wouldn't in Senate confirmation hearings.

Fox News host Bret Baier told Graham that Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) had expressed outrage at Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh because he testified that he would not likely overturn Roe v. Wade.

"Some senators are now openly questioning whether they were misled in the confirmation hearings," Baier explained.

"This has not been well-accepted by the public," Graham said of abortion rights. "The public has been divided since 1973. Ask your next guest, who is a good friend, does he want the court to reconsider [Citizens United] regarding campaign finance laws? Would he welcome a revisiting of the Heller decision where the court said the Second Amendment was a personal right?"
Rawstory pulled a Brietbart on this, but the headline is flashing around facebook as we speak. And Rawstory gets clicks.
Hic sunt dracones
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Thoughts on this?

https://wapo.st/3LYdDKY
Why the press will never have another Watergate moment
Fifty years ago, the nation was gripped by media coverage of Nixon’s crimes — and there was no Fox News to tell it to look away.

Perspective by Margaret Sullivan
Columnist
May 29, 2022 at 7:00 a.m. EDT
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:26 pm Thoughts on this?

https://wapo.st/3LYdDKY
Why the press will never have another Watergate moment
Fifty years ago, the nation was gripped by media coverage of Nixon’s crimes — and there was no Fox News to tell it to look away.

Perspective by Margaret Sullivan
Columnist
May 29, 2022 at 7:00 a.m. EDT
It’s absolutely true. We are right now living it, just the Zelenskyy call should have been enough, much less the other offenses.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... narrative/
Opinion: On crime and the economy, Republicans dictate the media narrative

By Paul Waldman
Columnist
June 6, 2022 at 2:51 p.m. EDT

Democrats tend to think of Republicans as messaging wizards, able to conjure controversies out of thin air and manipulate voters’ minds. While the GOP’s powers of mesmerism are drastically overstated, there are moments when they seem to easily persuade big news organizations to repeat their preferred narratives, after which public opinion follows along.

This is playing out on two important issues: crime and the economy.

Start with crime. Whenever something bad happens, such as an increase in homicides, the media tell us that it’s happening and also how to understand it: why it happened, what it means, who might be blamed.

As you probably know, homicides significantly increased when the pandemic began. Here are a few representative figures: In Jacksonville, Fla., there were 131 murders in 2019, which rose to 144 in 2020, then fell to 109 in 2021. In Fort Worth, there were 71 murders in 2019, which surged to 115 in 2020 and 118 in 2021, the highest the city had experienced in decades.

If you don’t recall the national media headlines reading “Tough-on-crime Republican prosecutors on defensive over crime increase,” that’s because there hasn’t been any such coverage. However, there have been many stories like this one from the Wall Street Journal: “Progressive Prosecutor Movement Tested by Rising Crime and Angry Voters.”
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

raison de arizona

ESPN reports that NBA game 5 viewership is up 30% from last year, while Fox reports a "great step back" with a ratings dip. Who is right? Well, ESPN is correct that the ABC viewership numbers are up from last year on Fox. And Fox is correct that the ratings are down from where they were a decade or two ago when more people were watching. What matters more? I don't know. I suppose it would be nice if both were reported in the same story, but each has reasons in their own interest for spinning the stories as they have been spun. :shrug:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

This is bad for Biden.
101010 :towel:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Recall the greatest scandal evaaahhh :?:

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Remember when so many rock ribbed Republicans threatened to leave the country because Obama was elected? I wish they had followed through.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

People threatened to do the same thing when W Bush was selected. In fact the Canadian immigration service call center jumped from 20,000 calls a day to over 100,000.
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

Oh Nate, screwing up what could be the most important news of the night.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://psyarxiv.com/v9gax
Fake News Known as Fake Still Changes Beliefs and Leads to Partisan Polarization

Helping citizens recognize fake news as fake has been a popular approach for curtailing the effect of misinformation. However, this paper points to its limitation by revealing that misinformation that we already know is false can still change our beliefs and attitudes. In five experiments, participants who were thoroughly instructed that they weregoing to read a made-up article still ended up believing the content and changed their political preferences or behavioral intentions. The effects are resistant to corrective efforts and persistent across time. People exposed to misinformation they knew to be false still believe the content despite being instructed to be deliberative and to try to not be affected or provided with the real information. The effects were observable two days later and again nine days later after the initial exposure. These findings have profound implications for misinformation research, media practices, polarization and democracy, and common research practices, such as deception and debriefing after deception.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona

Well that's depressing. Thanks for the study, will have to read the whole thing later.
Tiredretiredlawyer

It was depressing. Just think, we are now biased by the study and it may be wrong!
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/07/opin ... agram.html

It's a fairly lengthy essay -- I've just included the first bit as a teaser.
Opinion
Ezra Klein

I Didn’t Want It to Be True, but the Medium Really Is the Message
Aug. 7, 2022

In 2020, I read a book I’d been ignoring for 10 years, Nicholas Carr’s “The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains.” It was a finalist for a Pulitzer Prize in 2011 and much loved among people who seemed to hate the internet.

But in 2011, I loved the internet. I am of the generation old enough to remember a time before cyberspace but young enough to have grown up a digital native. And I adored my new land. The endless expanses of information, the people you met as avatars but cared for as humans, the sense that the mind’s reach could be limitless. My life, my career and my identity were digital constructs as much as they were physical ones. I pitied those who came before me, fettered by a physical world I was among the first to escape.

A decade passed, and my certitude faded. Online life got faster, quicker, harsher, louder. “A little bit of everything all of the time,” as the comedian Bo Burnham put it. Smartphones brought the internet everywhere, colonizing moments I never imagined I’d fill. Many times I’ve walked into a public bathroom and everyone is simultaneously using a urinal and staring at a screen.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/8 ... cuting-him
New York Times guest essayist suggests appeasing Trump is better than prosecuting him

Linker’s first point is that following a successful (or unsuccessful) prosecution of Trump, Democrats will have set the "precedent" for future Republican administrations to similarly prosecute their Democratic predecessors, out of spite and revenge if nothing else. I agree they will treat it as a “precedent.” That's the essence of their whattabout approach to any criticism of their party, but most liberals are already resigned to that fact anyway. In anticipation of a Republican House majority, current House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy and others of his radicalized caucus have already stated they will conduct such show trials and bogus investigations of President Joe Biden’s Department of Justice appointees, and even impeach President Biden himself, all spectacles tailor-made for Fox News and replete with every specious accusation they can concoct. If Trump or Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis become president in 2024, that process would undoubtedly accelerate and expand with the assistance of a thoroughly weaponized and politicized Justice Department.

But this will likely occur regardless of whether Trump is prosecuted or not, and the fear of such corrupt weaponization of the Justice Department by Trump or his clones cannot be a basis for declining to uphold the law. To act otherwise is to succumb to the ethics of a mafia-style, retaliatory executive branch: It means, in effect, submission to rule by blackmail or outright threat. When you submit to blackmail you surrender not only your integrity but your very freedom out of fear, and a government (or country) with its political institutions dominated by fear of the consequences of following the rule of law is not a government worth sustaining. It is simply capitulation to the power of fascist rule, with such rule in this case being imposed by a violent and delusional mob. That is by definition unacceptable to anyone who desires to live in this country as it currently exists, or even as it was intended to exist from the outset. In fact, the threat of such retaliatory tactics ought to be an impetus, not a deterrent, to prosecuting Trump.

Nonetheless, Linker, while acknowledging the basic primacy of following the rule of law, suggests the consequences of prosecuting Trump could be as “unnerving and risky” as pursuing justice against him....

The Money quote from excellent writer D'Artagnan:

Democrats and liberals aren’t under any illusions about what these people are capable of. Trump and the GOP under his thumb are now all of the same piece: They’re bullies, and they like it. They’ll keep being that way until they are pushed back. Appeasement or forbearance doesn’t work, it only emboldens them more. Put very simply, they have to be faced down and told: “No.”

Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Interesting article with more links in it

https://theconversation.com/how-far-rig ... 1661311138

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”