Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Foggy's Progress - a record of improvements to the forum

You never know, something important could happen.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: Foggy's Progress - a record of improvements to the forum

Post by Foggy »

I looked and I looked, and I have a good copy of the database from four days before the disaster. Or to be more specific:

2/17/2021 - most recent backup of the DB
2/20/2021 - 1&1 Hosting set my server on fire
2/21/2021 - I found out about it and spent the whole day scrambling with no luck, so,
2/22/2021 - Fogbow Reborn

Anyway, I have the files. I have the DB. I am going to try to restore it, which will take a few days, so be patient.

Of course, if I do this thing there will still be 5 days of posts missing. I understand those were the most brilliant posts ever and you can never replace them.

:taunt:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

OK, this is a project, so bear with me.

And when we're done, am I really maintaining two websites? Because I can't merge the databases, that's unpossible AFAIK.

First, the name of the site will be formerly.thefogbow.com, in other words a subdomain.

Second, the DB I have is too big, I need help uploading it from the hosting company.

Third, there are configuration issues, because each hosting company has its own naming schema, and the old DB came from the previous horrible evil nightmare hosting company.

So anyway, I don't know what to do about having duplicate forums. Can you imagine? You won't even be able to remember which forum you posted what brilliant comment. I hope to give you access to all the posts in the first forum, but somehow prevent you from posting in it, because that database is unwieldy as it is, I'd hate to make it any bigger. If I can give you access to it, and everybody can see it, and you can give links to it, then that's the goal.

I'm online with the hosting company about uploading that DB.
June bug

Post by June bug »

Whatever happens, Foggy, thank you for your work on this. :bighug: :bighug:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

June bug wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:06 pm Whatever happens, Foggy, thank you for your work on this. :bighug: :bighug:
:yeahthat: :thumbsup:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

How big is it? Can they download/copy it to a USB message stick?

The are terabit message sticks these days
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

keith wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:46 pm How big is it? Can they download/copy it to a USB message stick?

The are terabit message sticks these days
You have to be careful with these terabyte and larger USB sticks and external drives. Many of the cheap ones are fake. Even though Windows will show the capacity they will not hold anywhere near that much data.
Foggy wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:00 pm OK, this is a project, so bear with me.

And when we're done, am I really maintaining two websites? Because I can't merge the databases, that's unpossible AFAIK.

First, the name of the site will be formerly.thefogbow.com, in other words a subdomain.

Second, the DB I have is too big, I need help uploading it from the hosting company.
:snippity:
I assume if you restore the old Fogbow forum it would be closed to new posts? That would be terrific even if it is available for reference only. There are so many hours worth of research and history represented there.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:00 pm I hope to give you access to all the posts in the first forum, but somehow prevent you from posting in it, because that database is unwieldy as it is, I'd hate to make it any bigger. If I can give you access to it, and everybody can see it, and you can give links to it, then that's the goal.
That sounds like a great idea. Keeping it as a reference tool and this one as the "living" board. Good luck getting it all worked out, and thanks for the effort, O Great Rooster!
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Reality Check wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:13 pm
You have to be careful with these terabyte and larger USB sticks and external drives. Many of the cheap ones are fake. Even though Windows will show the capacity they will not hold anywhere near that much data.
Quite so, but I tend to trust 'correctly priced' SanDisk. Kingston and Corsair are pretty good too, in general. Never had a counterfeit, from these guys, which means of course that the scammers are busy building them now. I also trust my local distributors with bricks and mortar retail outlets. There are several in Melbourne close to me, and I've never got a counterfeit from them, either.

Here's the SanDisk 1T message stick at one of my favourite stores: https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/fla ... 0-1t00-g46

The description above is kinda weird though. It claims its a USB 3.2 device, but doesn't say which generation 1, 2, or 2x2. It claims its read/write performace is in the hundreds of MB/second, but USB 3.2 gen 1 is already 5 GB/second (USB 3.2 gen 1 is the new name for USB 3.1 gen 1 which was the new name for USB 3.0 - I wish they would stop that).

I've got a 512gig 128gig version of the one above, purchased at my local big box office supply shop. It is not counterfeit.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Thank you for trying Foggy. Herculean effort for sure. May I suggest rewatching Jurassic Park for an idea of the unintended consequences of resurrecting long dead things. :)
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:40 am Thank you for trying Foggy. Herculean effort for sure. May I suggest rewatching Jurassic Park for an idea of the unintendedpredictable consequences of resurrecting long dead things. :)
:lol:
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

keith wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:15 am
Quite so, but I tend to trust 'correctly priced' SanDisk. Kingston and Corsair are pretty good too, in general. Never had a counterfeit, from these guys, which means of course that the scammers are busy building them now. I also trust my local distributors with bricks and mortar retail outlets. There are several in Melbourne close to me, and I've never got a counterfeit from them, either.

Here's the SanDisk 1T message stick at one of my favourite stores: https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/fla ... 0-1t00-g46

The description above is kinda weird though. It claims its a USB 3.2 device, but doesn't say which generation 1, 2, or 2x2. It claims its read/write performace is in the hundreds of MB/second, but USB 3.2 gen 1 is already 5 GB/second (USB 3.2 gen 1 is the new name for USB 3.1 gen 1 which was the new name for USB 3.0 - I wish they would stop that).

I've got a 512gig 128gig version of the one above, purchased at my local big box office supply shop. It is not counterfeit.
You are absolutely correct that if you stay with a well known manufacturer like Kingston, Sandisk and others you should be OK. This is an example of what I am talking about:
https://a.co/d/6Ll3jYK

1 TB for $20 is a huge red flag. A 1 TB thumb drive from SanDisk is $169 USD.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

It's not a question of disk size. My hard drive is 1 TB, and the hosting company can hold unlimited data. There's no function for a thumb drive/USB stick at all. We're talking only about uploading and downloading from my hard drive to the hosting company servers.

No, the problem is, the file is so goddamnned big -- remember, it has 12 years of posts, more than 1.2 million of them -- that the server "times out" before the file is fully uploaded. And I learned how to tweak the server to enable uploading very large files, and I still had a glitch because of an "invalid character" somewhere in the database (Narrator: After 12 years, there are tons of "invalid characters" in the database, it's just how the world works).

So now I'm trying a third option, which is using phpMyAdmin to import the DB into a blank database. If that works, we'll move forward from there. I think I have the server tweaked correctly to upload the file, but phpMyAdmin is saying the max filesize is 2,047 MB and I think our DB is a little bigger than that. Like I said upthread, I'm probably going to have to submit a ticket to get it done correctly, and that means a few days delay, written tickets are assigned out in order etc.

Baby steps ... :dance:
Edit: If I can't do it alone, I can upload the file using FileZilla (SFTP) and then submit a ticket. The techs there will have better and faster computers, and they'll be able to install the DB. But that's only Step One Hundred And Whatever, because then the DB is totally configured for a different hosting company and will need to be re-configged.
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

Not sure if this applies, but once at work we had to upload a big file and we had to turn off the virus scanning program because it was slowing the process down so much (and we didn't need it anyway for that file).
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:12 pm It's not a question of disk size. My hard drive is 1 TB, and the hosting company can hold unlimited data. There's no function for a thumb drive/USB stick at all. We're talking only about uploading and downloading from my hard drive to the hosting company servers.

No, the problem is, the file is so goddamnned big -- remember, it has 12 years of posts, more than 1.2 million of them -- that the server "times out" before the file is fully uploaded. And I learned how to tweak the server to enable uploading very large files, and I still had a glitch because of an "invalid character" somewhere in the database (Narrator: After 12 years, there are tons of "invalid characters" in the database, it's just how the world works).

So now I'm trying a third option, which is using phpMyAdmin to import the DB into a blank database. If that works, we'll move forward from there. I think I have the server tweaked correctly to upload the file, but phpMyAdmin is saying the max filesize is 2,047 MB and I think our DB is a little bigger than that. Like I said upthread, I'm probably going to have to submit a ticket to get it done correctly, and that means a few days delay, written tickets are assigned out in order etc.

Baby steps ... :dance:
Edit: If I can't do it alone, I can upload the file using FileZilla (SFTP) and then submit a ticket. The techs there will have better and faster computers, and they'll be able to install the DB. But that's only Step One Hundred And Whatever, because then the DB is totally configured for a different hosting company and will need to be re-configged.
Did not read all of the discussion, but this hint: Some FTP clients offer the choice to transfer in chunks. Cunks are just a byte range of the file but behave like file for error recovery etc. The ftp program will make sure that all parts get completed and makes restarts if necessary. Cunks will be transferred parallel, be sure tp specify the number of concurrent tasks. Limit the total transfer to like 80% or you will not get a chance to do other work online.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Thanks, but I will have to do it the easy (but time-consuming) way. I used FTP to upload the gzipped file and put in a support ticket. :biggrin:

More will be revealed ...
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Foggy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:32 pm Thanks, but I will have to do it the easy (but time-consuming) way. I used FTP to upload the gzipped file and put in a support ticket. :biggrin:

More will be revealed ...
Good luck on recovering the old forum. That would be super if you could. I am glad Doc C. decided to keep OCT alive and searchable even though he is not posting anything new there.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I consider this thread my Foreign Language credit thread on the Bow. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

No maintenance tomorrow, I'm in Bathysphere or wherever it is, I don't trust the bandwidth of my dad's wifi. I'll do maintenance Monday morning bright and early, how's them potatoes.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Have to add this here ... :oopsy:

1. Link to the old forum added to the Board Index page, in the Welcome section.

2. Also re-created the usergroups Gadflies, Grumpy People, Badass Ladies, and Ladies in Pink. These are just for fun, there are no changes except your name color. Join and be colorful!

If you join one of these groups, say so here, and I'll make that group primary for you, which will change your name color. Example: MN-Skeptic is a Badass Lady (honestly!) so her name color is a dark red. But other groups have colors as shown above.
Tiredretiredlawyer

I'm a Badass Lady too, also. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

And you are now red, like a Badass Lady should be!
Tiredretiredlawyer

:notworthy:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, y'know what I haven't re-created yet, after Fogbow Reborn has been around one year, seven months, and one week already?

I haven't re-created FEMA Camp 7 1/2 yet, or Under the Bridge, or whatever other variations there were in the distant past, where I put trolls and others who were trying to pester us. But I think you may remember, realist never did cotton to the idea, no matter how much I opened it up to the rest of the world, and I simply haven't seen the need for it yet, or anything like it.

Maybe I never will put that in again. :shrug:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Too bad, too. The FEMA camp could be lots of fun, like remember when we had a guy join who called himself U.S. Army MSGT Ret., and he told us he was a black guy who was just trying to figure out if Obama was legit, but we found out he was really a white birther asshole who never served a day in the US Army? So I tried to set him up with a fake black lady so they could be a fake black couple and be fun at parties and stuff.

https://formerly.thefogbow.com/forum/vi ... 77#p192577
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:44 amJoin and be colorful!
I just don't know if I'm more badass or grumpy - or if I actually fit either one. Must ponder for a bit...

Return to “Announcements”