Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Losing our churches

Chilidog

Losing our churches

Post by Chilidog »

Regardless of your feeling about religion in general, many architecturaly significant churches are disappearing.

Four generations of my family were baptised, married and buried at St. Michael the Archangel church on Chicago's south side.

It closed two months ago.

https://www.change.org/p/city-of-chicag ... rect=false
Azastan
Verified:

Re: Losing our churches

Post by Azastan »

Many of the churches in England have stopped being churches. Been happening for years.

In the meantime, my smallish town in southeast King County has 14 Christian churches, one LDS church. No synagogues, no mosques, no temples as far as I know. There's also at least one Korean Christian church. There's no lack of churches, if people want to go there.

In the case of one of these churches, it took over a historic mansion and turned the barn into a church.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

My town has one each Catholic, Episcopal, Lutheran, Methodist & LDS, 2 Jewish, 4 assorted Buddhist, and more assorted evangelical/fake baptist/God-bothering-bible-thumper than I can count.

The lone Presbyterian church dropped its affiliation recently & became evangelical; apparently an internal revolt amongst the parishioners because the parents of the kids in their daycare & elementary school programs didn't think there was enough jeebus in the curriculum.

Probably means a new group of door-knocking assholes for me to fuck with.
Image Image Image Image
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Estiveo wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:30 am The lone Presbyterian church dropped its affiliation recently & became evangelical
😭
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

The former Trinity Church, in Stockbridge, Massachusetts, is now The Guthrie Center, providing free lunches, legal advice and other services.

https://cdn.creators.com/264/273191/tad022320cdAW.jpg

As you all probably know, this church featured prominently in Arlo Guthrie's 1967 song "Alice's Restaurant".
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

In light of skyrocketing land values in the Seattle area, we have had a couple of churches with dwindling memberships elect to sell the church property to developers, disband, and contribute the millions of dollars received on the sale to other charities.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

jcolvin2 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:46 pm In light of skyrocketing land values in the Seattle area, we have had a couple of churches with dwindling memberships elect to sell the church property to developers, disband, and contribute the millions of dollars received on the sale to other charities.
It’s sad legitimate local churches have dwindling memberships while mega political mega churches thrive.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Still lots of churches on Kauai. Unfortunately, some are shifting to craziness, and some of them will give you a religious exemption from vaccination for a price donation.

We also have lots of beautiful Hongwanjis.

There were no mosques and no synagogues here for a long time. The very small Jewish community finally was able to obtain space for their services, and then met with the very small Muslim community to invite them to share the building.

We also have Kauai Aadheenam, aka Kauai's Hindu Monastery. It's a traditional Indian style monastery-temple complex. Hindus from around the world make a pilgrimage to it. My son & I were invited to a private tour of the complex, and it is stunningly beautiful and peaceful.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

That's me in the corner .. that's me in the spot-light..

:popcorn:
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

Local church was turned into a pub. I like it better now.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Estiveo wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:30 am

The lone Presbyterian church dropped its affiliation recently & became evangelical; apparently an internal revolt amongst the parishioners because the parents of the kids in their daycare & elementary school programs didn't think there was enough jeebus in the curriculum.
The Presbyterian church at the end of my road changed the name from "Small Town Presbyterian Church" to 'Small Town Church'. If one goes to the website for the church, though, it's apparently still a Presbyterian church. Guess the word 'presbyterian' was too off-putting to people.

Now this church promises 'More God. More Love. More Life.'
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

jcolvin2 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:46 pm In light of skyrocketing land values in the Seattle area, we have had a couple of churches with dwindling memberships elect to sell the church property to developers, disband, and contribute the millions of dollars received on the sale to other charities.
A truly christian thing to do.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:29 pm
A truly christian thing to do.
Here is one in my neighborhood (I drive past the Church property at least couple of time a week):
Grace Lutheran Church sells to developer and donates assets to nonprofits

Some in Downtown Seattle:
https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/blo ... attle.html
https://news.theregistryps.com/seattle- ... -for-sale/
Tessa94

Post by Tessa94 »

My recent research shows that the number of people who do not consider themselves part of organized religion is steadily increasing. People don't say they don't believe in God. They say they don't believe in religion. They don't reject Christ. They reject the church. This begs the question, "Why are we losing our religion?" I've answered a similar question at https://firstchurchlove.com, and I think it won't be out of place here either. I believe that the very trend of "people not identifying as part of organized religion" speaks to the growing awareness of labels in today's society. These labels carry the weight of many people affected by church or religion.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

My granddaughter (12), who was never baptized, not attends any church, asked me the other day if I'm a Christian. I found it difficult to say I'm not, although I have not attended or belonged to any organized church in decades.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:35 am My granddaughter (12), who was never baptized, not attends any church, asked me the other day if I'm a Christian. I found it difficult to say I'm not, although I have not attended or belonged to any organized church in decades.
"I was raised in a Christian tradition" or such is a good compromise. It gives context without committing to current state.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:58 am
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:35 am My granddaughter (12), who was never baptized, not attends any church, asked me the other day if I'm a Christian. I found it difficult to say I'm not, although I have not attended or belonged to any organized church in decades.
"I was raised in a Christian tradition" or such is a good compromise. It gives context without committing to current state.
Thanks.

I did say that it's hard for me to say because it was how I was raised. That was what I said to my granddaughter; not so sure about it to an adult. And as a child and young adult, I was very active.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Not actually losing a church.. but more jewelry at a church and possibly why there is less support for churches in general..

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-26/ ... /101269210

A Brooklyn preacher has been robbed of jewellery worth hundreds of thousands of dollars by armed men who crashed his church service just as he was delivering a sermon about keeping faith in the face of grave adversity, according to police.

Key points:
Police say three men entered Lamor Miller-Whitehead's church during a sermon and demanded jewellery at gunpoint
The bishop is known for his flashy lifestyle and friendship with New York Mayor Eric Adams
He has offered a $US50,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the robbers

Police said the jewellery was worth about $US400,000 ($575,000). Bishop Whitehead it was worth more than $US1 million.

The 44-year-old formed Leaders of Tomorrow International Ministries in 2013, after serving a five-year prison sentence for identity theft and grand larceny. He says he was illegally convicted.

Return to “Religion and Politics”